User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-30-2013, 09:16 AM   #2686
DR. Rock
Part of the problem

Oddometer: 5,528
So...

you found a way to fix an ND filter to the little sigma. Nice.

Hi to both of you!
"I came into this game for the action, the excitement; go anywhere, travel light... get in, get out... wherever there's trouble, a man alone... Now they got the whole country sectioned off; you can't make a move without a form." --Robert De Niro as Archibald 'Harry' Tuttle in Brazil, 1985. The Mobius Trip index | Spot tracking live 4/18-5/4/13 | AdventureLoft™ Tent Space
DR. Rock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 11:12 AM   #2687
tsiklonaut OP
the (in)famous boxer perv

Oddometer: 1,068

Portrait of a "landslide fixing 101" guy working for the goverment. You can see the landslide behind him (it used to be a vertical wall of the mountainside) and fallen trees he's working on to restore the normal waterflow to the rice fields of the local village. He had the biggest chainsaw I've ever seen, easily longer than 1.5 metre blade - it was probably for cutting the massive rainforest trees. Pity I didn't take a pic of it...

That's me brother with a too large and with completely worn out internal padding on his only rented helmet he could get (must be the Kawasaki phenomenon? ) - the solution is to use an arab style towel and scare the local people.

Luwak Coffee (Kopi Luwak in local language) - a gourmet coffee made out of wild cat ding. The wild cat eats the fresh green coffee beans, digests them through the system and dings 'em out. Specialized people look for the ding around the jungle, pick it up, dry (as on the picture), roast and grind. Considered to be the most expensive coffee in the world and mostly consumed by the rich coffee fanatics around the world. We tried a cup and it was surprisingly good - so no wonder the high demand.

The dominant of the Indonesian beer market - Bintang. In fact it's hard to get
anything else. If you look really hard then it's Bali Hai (a decent beer) or Heineken (not good!).

That's the Bali Hai - I had to order it one day in advance.

Swordfish grilled inside a banana leaf, with chili and indonesian spices. Tastes superb.

Local architecture.

Panorama of the rice fields (click to enlarge)

(Click to enlarge)

(Click to enlarge)

...::: LISTEN the rice fields during the night - it's a frog and bug paradise :::...

Jungle between ricefields (Click to enlarge)

tsiklonaut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 11:23 AM   #2688
tsiklonaut OP

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrustyD3mon View Post
Wow...what a surprise...ahahah need to read a little more about it but the photos speaks for yourself...eheh

Thanks for the Tip!
Don't take my advice too seriously - must be stressed I'm no pro!!!

If I was a pro I'd own a decent fullframe DSLR with a decent $$$ set of lenses instead of shooting with a little compact combined with a 30 years old film camera like I do.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DR. Rock View Post
you found a way to fix an ND filter to the little sigma. Nice.
Hi David!

Yep and it's very easy - just use the lens hood and it takes any small 46mm filter.

Regards to Francine!

M&K
Old 01-30-2013, 12:05 PM   #2689
tsiklonaut OP

When you've enjoyed the last colours of the sunset, the blue hues start to take over...

Till the night falls...

...and darkness dominates over the ocean...

...a tropical storm seems just a distant thing...

Till it hits you with a little warning (around a minute later of this shot I was completely soaked and could barely save the camera from dying of drowning - the weather changes really fast here)

Old 01-30-2013, 02:53 PM   #2690
Seba1
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 159
Thank's Margus,beautiful photos
Seba1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 04:04 PM   #2691
Lunatic
Dan Keyhoety

Oddometer: 610
Pix

M&K ,

You are one amazing photographer !! There must be some way to make it a full time job .

Headed to Costa Rica next week to do some riding .

Lunatic

Don't be afraid your life will end, be afraid that it will never start.

Arrogance is the anesthesia that dulls the pain of stupidity
Lunatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 04:52 PM   #2692
OU812
Legend in my own Mind!

Oddometer: 8,908
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seba1 View Post
Thank's Margus,beautiful photos
Yes!
Every post!
OU812 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 04:33 PM   #2693
jun19
sangbro

Oddometer: 30
M&K

Absolutely stunning photos!!! Thank you for sharing with us.

Your photos not only capture the beauty of scenes but also does contain emotions.
Distinguishable from other RRs that are mainly full of "I was there" shots.
I believe your reports become far better than most of professional commercial travel projects.

Just let you know that I and my wife are huge fans of your RR.
Inspired by your report, my wife begins to think about motorcycle RTW of our own.
(What a change for a person who is prejudiced that motorbikes are just too dangerous.)
Also, we decide to make a little contribution to your trip.
(first from South Korea maybe?)

One last thought is when you have time, or nothing to do
why don't you make a list of camping equipment (I know you're happy with Hillberg Tent.) with
brief impression? You are one of the best people to get advice since you actually have been
using equipment for a long time in various environmental conditions.

Have a safe trip!

jun19 screwed with this post 02-04-2013 at 08:12 PM
jun19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 07:48 AM   #2694
kwakbiker
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 611
Great darkness pics...........so how good was the swordfish as it looked blooming good

More fun being upright
kwakbiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 08:43 AM   #2695
Gliga
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 118
This was/is an amazing journey. Destinations, story telling, photography. Oh, the photography... Thanks for taking us along for a ride.
Gliga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 10:32 AM   #2696
tsiklonaut OP

A beautiful local girl we met in front of Singaraja temple, she wated a pic taken.

We took a small wooden boat to Gili Menjangan (in translation: Deer-) island...

The small island is a part of nature reserve, and as the name suggests there're number of deer living on the Menjangan island. And close to the island's shores we did a lot of snorkling - there's loads & loads of coral, different schools of colourful fish, turtles, snakes, jellyfish (painful bastids when they sting you) etc. Sorry, no underwater pics - I don't own a waterproof camera. You can see the Bali island on the horizon.

An indonesian builder, being also a fisherman he knows a lot about the fish - we had a long discussion about the crocodile fish I spotted during diving.

Then we took another boat to Gili islands, north-west of Lombok - we almost got a CO2 poisoning from this boat and were at the state of near vomiting most of the time - the powerful Suzuki engines probably consumed more oil than fuel. So we sailded in a thick cloud of engine smoke... I figured electric or hydrogen is the right direction in future!

On the Gili Trawangan island motorized transport is banned. Thus the horses & donkeys with carts and bicycles are the only transport. We rented a bicycle to get around. Gili Trawangan is a new generation hippie paradise - loads of tatooed westeners showing off, surfers, backbackers, we were even offered drugs to take us high into heavens. No thanks and we stayed away from the busy port area.

Everything is transported around the island with bone-power.

It's a lot of work.

Old 02-05-2013, 11:04 AM   #2697
tsiklonaut OP

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwakbiker View Post
Great darkness pics...........so how good was the swordfish as it looked blooming good
Tasted good - if you come fresh to Indonesia everything seems to be overspiced, but after a few days you have an adapted taste for it so the joys begin...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gliga View Post
This was/is an amazing journey. Destinations, story telling, photography. Oh, the photography... Thanks for taking us along for a ride.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jun19 View Post
Your photos not only capture the beauty of scenes but also does contain emotions.
Distinguishable from other RRs that are mainly full of "I was there" shots.
I believe your reports become far better than most of professional commercial travel projects.

Thanks a lot for the encouraging words.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jun19 View Post
Just let you know that I and my wife are huge fans of your RR.
Inspired by your report, my wife begins to think about motorcycle RTW of our own.
(What a change for a person who is prejudiced that motorbikes are just too dangerous.)
Also, we decide to make a little contribution to your trip.
(first from South Korea maybe?)

One last thought is when you have time, or nothing to do
why don't you make a list of camping equipment (I know you're happy with Hillberg Tent.) with
brief impression? You are one of the best people to get advice since you actually have been
using equipment for a long time in various environmental conditions.
For camping we use:
  • Hilleberg Nammatj 3 tent with a dedicated footprint

A superb tunnel tent as said before. Costs a fortune, but is well worth the money if you take care of it - lasts for many years while it's the lightest weight/most space ratio full featured 4-season tent in the market. Period.

One tip is not to buy a tunnel tent if you're not very "free nature" camper. Many people don't know that tunnel tents are not self-standing - they need fixing of at least two ends to stand up. We've been camping sometimes on concrete or rocky grounds where you can't put the pegs into the ground and we've always managed with something at hand - i.e. fix one side on the bike, the other with rocks put on the ropes etc. Even indoors (yes, we've even camped indoors!) we've managed fine. It's rarely a problem with a tunnel tent, but I like the challenge of fixing a tunnel tent in very hard ground conditons, especially when it's windy and you also need to fix the guide lines - must be the feeling like you're building your own secure home...

TIP: self-standing (dome) Hilleberg tents are superb as well, you can pitch them everywhere no matter the ground conditions, but they are heavier and less roomy. Everything's in life is tagged with a word "compromise" I guess...

In any case a footprint is extremely important (unless you only camp on snow, soft grass or soft sand) Otherwise you ruin your expensive tent very fast with small punctures on the floor that makes a leaky tent during the rain.

• Therm-a-Rest self-inflating mattresses

We have them together with the chair-kits. They're older models and quite heavy - 3kg for two (we didn't have money to buy the new ultralight versions at the time). But the comfort and warmth factor is worth it. Plus movie-nights in the tent with the laptop :)

TIP: if we ever would go with two bikes we'd probably look for the Kermit chairs. They are a little too expensive for us to ship to Europe plus carrying 2 on one bike seems a bit overkill - maybe in the future. But we've learned a good comfortable chair brings the camping life quality to another level.

• Ferrino square & pairable sleeping bags + Ferrino inner sheets

Ours were for very warm conditions and not light (they were synthetic, next time we buy down filling - lighter, warmer and longer lasting). Comfort zone was +11C (+14C for women) if I remember correctly. But for us it is utterly important to get the bags paired (one has left-hand zippers, the other has right-hand zippers) so we can sleep tightly together. And we LOVE leg space, we don't like the "cocoon" type of sleeping bags where you can't move your legs much.

On cold nights we separate the bags, put sheets inside and we sleep with our hats on (human body loses almost half of it's body heat from the head). The sheets inside rise the comfort temperature by +2C or so. We've slept around -2C and it was rather survival with little sleeping with those bags.

A plus is that most of square sleeping bags let you use them as normal blankets in warmer climates - this is what we did in the tropics. We put our sheets underneath (so the mattresses don't get smelly of sweat - you sweat a lot in the tropics!) since the sheets are easy to wash (same principle why we use masks in the helmet, even in warm climates) and put one of the sleeping bags on top as a light blanket just for comfortable sleeping.

TIP: get warmer bags if you plan to visit northern countries or high altitude places. Around 0C or -5C bags would be the best. There aren't many square and pairable bags for this range, but there are some - i.e. Ferrino Lightec 1100 or 950 SQ ($$$ model).

• Swedish army stove for cooking

You can read about it here.

TIP: if space and weight is allowing - buy a good set of dishes.

And the most important TIP for wild camping: NEVER leave any non-decaying rubbish behind, only your own "fertilizer" (with a reservation to a toilet paper that decays very fast) and make the place look like you never were there :) That means respect to the Universe and for the next people who accidentially come to camp there, just like you.

We always take our packages/etc rubbish with us and store them where they can find a place to properly store them (yep, sometimes it can be 500+ kilometers or multiple days worth of carrying "extra" load). The World has given you something to admire, you need to give something back and preserve it for the next visitor.

Hope this helps.

Safe roads,
Margus

tsiklonaut screwed with this post 02-05-2013 at 11:32 AM
Old 02-05-2013, 12:13 PM   #2698
tsiklonaut OP

Gili Trawangan

Panorama from the Gili Trawangan port (click to enlarge)

The white sand tropical beaches were nice, though.

Panorama from Gili beach with a coral under water (click to enlarge)

Lombok island visible over the tropical bay.

Thunderstorm above the Indian ocean.

A transition between wet & dry.

Tropical waters of Gili islands...

Ship on the bay - you can see Lombok island in the distance (the set of clouds are formed above Gunung Rinjani - a volcano peaked to 3726 meters above sealevel)

Old 02-06-2013, 02:50 AM   #2699
ata
expat in the jungle

Oddometer: 2,257
shocking and amazing , both, the trip and the photos that show it

Need some help<<<<<<>>>>>>> wet wanderings
ata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 02:39 AM   #2700
Manzek
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 231
All has been said about your amazing travel. I want to add something about the music you posted! Simple extraordinary, I have to thank you for this great discovery for me, mainly from Africa. I'll bring with me that music forever, 'GIGI' often befriend my days.

If you'd want to strolling around Italy some day, I'll very happy to spend some day with you, in my house. khruner2001@yahoo.it

Thank you very much Margus and Karlina.

Manzek is offline   Reply With Quote