Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Ride reports
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-21-2010, 08:28 AM   #766
targetplayer
n00b

Oddometer: 3
You are right Margus as during world travel entering any country with the ideal weather in mind is not possible. You might be right regarding the single cylinder two stroke engines as people here try to save more fuel so its possible that someone put a single cylinder two stroke motorcycle engine in Suzuki van. Interestingly my first bike was a two stroke Kawasaki back in 1989. I still remember its unique sound and smell of smoke.

By center of Pakistan I mean that if by chance you are travelling in central/middle of Pakistan then it would be very nice to see you. I like your thread which is full of beautiful pictures. I wish both of you a safe and wonderful upcoming journey.
targetplayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2010, 04:06 AM   #767
tsiklonaut OP
the (in)famous boxer perv

Oddometer: 1,068
Quote:
Originally Posted by targetplayer
By center of Pakistan I mean that if by chance you are travelling in central/middle of Pakistan then it would be very nice to see you.
Whereabouts are you located?

Ride safe mate, drivers in Pakistan are utterly mad! Margus
tsiklonaut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2010, 07:12 AM   #768
tsiklonaut OP
the (in)famous boxer perv

Oddometer: 1,068
From Islamabad we headed north to see the famous Karakoram Highway (KKH) - another wonder of the world, as the Pakistanis themselves think of it. Construction of this important link road between China and Pakistan began in 1959, and during 20 years that it took to be completed, almost 900 construction workers lost their lives due to falls and landslides. It spans some 1300 kilometers and is host to plenty of cultural heritage (it retraces parts of the ancient Silk Road) and views of some of the highest mountains of the world, such as 8126 metre (26 660 ft) high Nanga Parbat, for example.

Road sign in (a bit faulty) Russian - some Tadzhik trucks (used to) pass by KKH.

The start of the road from Abbottabad was pretty tense as there was loads of traffic. Interesting how Pakistan and India are so similar. Here, just like in India, the main rule in traffic is that anyone can make any manoeuvre at any time without any indication of such intention, and generally, "the might is the right". Once again, a minibus driver was attempting a right turn to the gas station across the road without looking, crashing into us from the left side. This time the impact caused the bike to fall over to the right side, and us to fall off the bike.

Lucky there was no one coming from the opposite direction, otherwise it would have ended quite sadly. As we stood up we could not detect much damage to ourselves except for some pain in my knee. But the bike is a different story. The left pannier was completely bent from the direct hit, the tank was once again dented and the windscreen altogether with the dashboard had been broken off from the right side due to the fall. A later inspection also revealed that both front and rear subframe were bent.

In just a couple of minutes a crowd gathered. Sure, nobody spoke any English, all the less the guy to blame who just stood there blank faced as Kariina was leading her monologue on her feelings towards him and Pakistani drivers in general. She might have spoken in Estonian instead of English, it would not have provoked any reaction.

Gathering crowds - find the muslim with glasses that tries to hide from the photo - that's the selfish twat who almost killed us!

With the help from a local student we found a workshop where the pannier was hammered into a more or less regular shape. Clearly it is just a temporary solution as the lid only closes more or less, and there are some holes in it that need the hard-to-find aluminium welding - the only place they say is in Rawalpindi (like in India - amazingly ironic for a country that has nuclear capability!?). To put it simply, the pannier now is far from being waterproof.

Left box took the direct hit this time (while from that force we flipped over and landed on to the other side, the other box had just scratches)

Tank, after bike landing on it.

Windscreen - good thing it's already riveted with aluminium plate from the last crash in Australia.

But the mount is still ripped off from the impact and also front frame is bent.

Using robust Pakistani villager's methods to make primary repairs.

Exhausted, and soaked in sweat, we checked into the first hotel we could find. It was an expensive one (unlike in India or South-East Asia it is difficult to find an OK room in Pakistan for USD 10), but there was no energy nor motivation left to go looking for alternatives.

Frustrated, we spent the night trying to understand what we had done wrong to deserve such a reception. Or, on the contrary, had there been someone looking after us, a guardian angel perhaps? Trying to think positively, it was a lucky accident afterall.

My busted leg.

Next day we rolled on. The traffic dissipated a bit, but the road deteriorated, too. Where the road traversed the areas of Indus Kohistan kids threw rocks at us, and we had an exceptionally shocking moment as we almost ran over a girl running across the road. She just ran onto the road from behind a parked car, and no braking would not have saved her if she would have noticed us coming. No doubt she would have been petrified right in the middle of our track. But the guardian angels (hers, not ours - our credit must have already expired) must have been on the watch as she just kept on running, without looking, so we passed her with an inch or so. Would it have been a car, the ending would have been different. Worst of all, when we looked back at the parents standing aside the road, they did not look shocked at all, just as if it were normal for their kids to have such close calls.

Welcome to Pakistan indeed!
tsiklonaut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2010, 08:13 AM   #769
SS in Vzla.
Totally Normal? I'm not!

Oddometer: 1,111
Glad to hear you are mostly OK.
Maybe you need some longer rest somewhere?
Keep safe.
Old 07-22-2010, 09:14 AM   #770
Vikram
Adventurer

Oddometer: 12
Nasty crash! I hope you have had your injuries looked at by a doctor.

I thought you would have understood how to ride in the Sub-continent and in other developping regions. Riding like in Europe or the US is a sure way to serious pain! I'm constantly on the lookout for pedestrians and vehicles on the side of the road. I ride as far as possible from the foot path or roadside. I use the horn to signal my presence to others on the road. So as I approach a vehicle that I want to overtake, I use the horn to make sure the driver knows I'm behind him. After a few near-misses with when I was learning to ride, I'm always wary of people hiding behind vehicles on the roadside and of vehicles moving into my path but are hidden by the bus/truck that I would be overtaking at that moment. A LOUD horn is always useful!

By the way, one "trick" even we Indians fall for is the run-over chicken trick. Villagers, usually hiding, throw a chicken on the road in anticipation of one's passage hoping that we run it over. In that event, a big group forms and intimidates the driver into paying many times the value of the chicken as compensation.

I know this sounds like a lecture in safe riding and I apologise for it.

I've been for a while now but I decided to contribute (pollute? ) to your RR since your photos and article of India are wonderful. Thanks! I hope my country has left you with mostly good memories.

Head reisi (from the internet )
Vikram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2010, 12:52 PM   #771
Mr Pif
Adventurer

Oddometer: 86
i'm following all this time your outstanding adventure and believe me i have no words to show u how much i admire your effort.maybe because it's something everyone of us has at his back of his mind but doesn't dare to do...

i hope both of u have a very very fast recovery and all this bad situation be the the first and of course the last time that happens.

keep showing us our homeplanet,ride safe and enjoy your amazing trip

Regards ,
George
Mr Pif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2010, 02:17 PM   #772
moilami
pr0 n00b

Oddometer: 57
Eeeww, I have seen pictures of Pakistanese now and I have to say Pakistan is maybe the least desirable country for me to travel.

Congrats for surviving yet another crash and thanks of the pics
moilami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2010, 04:24 PM   #773
vdv2020
Luxembiker

Oddometer: 161
Chicken con - at least they are giving you a flat and rob you...

http://southafrica-pig.blogspot.com/...of-terror.html
http://wcbstv.com/local/Nassau.Count....2.237792.html

Sad anyway.

_________
Transalp XL700VA 2009 yello
vdv2020 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2010, 04:56 PM   #774
timk519
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,059
ow! That's gotta hurt. I'm glad things didn't end up like this -

Be safe!
Old 07-22-2010, 06:56 PM   #775
yellowknife
Is In Canada

Oddometer: 679
Ouch, Damn

I would have loved to have been a fly on the wall hearing your wife tear into the driver of the vehicle. I am hoping you got some video. They probably are not used to being told off by women.

Anyways - post a link for your paypal if you have one. your RR is definitely worth the price of a book to me today. Maybe it will come in handy for your pannier repair or a sedative for your wife.

By the way I crashed my bike 6 weeks ago, but after seeing your pannier pics, my dented box doesn't seem that bad anymore.

Thanks for your update, glad you are both relatively OK, please be safe from now on.

YK
Old 07-22-2010, 07:16 PM   #776
timk519
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,059
Quote:
Originally Posted by yellowknife
Anyways - post a link for your paypal if you have one.
Check the first post in this thread, or go here: https://www.paypal.com/ee/cgi-bin/we...b204755610594d
Old 07-22-2010, 09:23 PM   #777
targetplayer
n00b

Oddometer: 3
Very sad to know about your accident. Drive safe as most of the drivers are uneducated and sometimes driving demands extra attention here even for the locals with lot of experience of Pakistani roads. Just follow my single advice, I know that you might not be rushing fast but reduce your speed to a very safe limit. A slight delay will save you from several other problems. Pakistan is not a developed country and roads ahead might not be the fittest ones too. Please don't get me wrong as this is for your personal safety and safe travel. Margus, Pakistani people are very hospitable but very shy mainly due to language barrier.
You are travelling on one of the biggest motorcycles and as you have seen here most of the motorcycles are 70 and 100cc small bikes so you should be getting the attention of the peoples and obviously people gather when unfortunately some accident happens. You can't imagine how it hurts when we read such an unpleasent report projecting the negative impression at this level of international forum. Accidents are accidents and can be happen anytime anywhere. Thanks God you both remained safe from serious injuries.

Get well soon and stay safe.

Best Wishes and prayers for your safe and enjoyable journey.

Zubair

targetplayer screwed with this post 07-28-2010 at 06:09 AM
targetplayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2010, 11:30 PM   #778
lovebikes
adventurer

Oddometer: 221
So sorry to hear about your accident. You people are the fourth foreign couple on motorcycle who has had an accident in the same stretch of the road in as much as 8 months. You are the most lucky ones, last three were not that fortunate. In all three cases they had at least one fracture. I am glad that u didnt suffer the same fate. Be careful while riding in Pakistan and be always ready for other peoples mistakes. Cant offer u beers as Pakistan is supposed to be a dry country but a dinner is due after that horrible experience and I dont want u to take only bad memories of my country. So if u r still in Pakistan please let me know and we can arrange a meet. I have sent u my phone no through pm.
Old 07-23-2010, 06:25 AM   #779
yellowknife
Is In Canada

Oddometer: 679
thanks for the paypal reminder...

Quote:
Originally Posted by timk519
Check the first post in this thread, or go here: https://www.paypal.com/ee/cgi-bin/we...b204755610594d
I read so many RR's I miss the obvious sometimes. I cannot help but think that this motorcycle no longer exists as we see it here after the last two accidents.

YK

Old 07-23-2010, 10:37 AM   #780
moilami
pr0 n00b

Oddometer: 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by yellowknife
I read so many RR's I miss the obvious sometimes. I cannot help but think that this motorcycle no longer exists as we see it here after the last two accidents.

YK

You wrote part of my thoughts. Have to say the bike was one awesome vehicle to go through everything, I say epic motorcycle, and I don't say epic in vain. Hope they fix her.
moilami is offline   Reply With Quote