User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-09-2010, 11:15 AM   #826
Hotmamaandme
Wishing I was riding RTW

Oddometer: 2,637
Good luck with the replacement shock

We had our rear shock blow out like that in Mexico. I wish I would have thought of stuffing the spring with rubber like that! Thats Brilliant! We rode some 4 weeks more with the the shock just boinging down the road. Good luck with the replacement. There are other options or companies other than Ohlins.

Jimmy Lewis quote: "Those KLRs are full of potential. Just takes a rider..."
Hotmamaandme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2010, 06:05 PM   #827
Hootowl
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,243
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hootowl
While at the Redmond BMW rally last month I talked to a Ohlins representative about my own 1100GS rear shock.

I just sent the rep a email outlining the story of the split shock and asking him for help either from Ohlins USA or Europe.

Maybe, just maybe, something will come of it.

And maybe if we all telephoned or emailed Ohlins USA something will come of that too.
Worth a shot, Right?

Ohlins USA motorcycle divison contact information:
http://www.ohlinsusa.com/us/index.ph...d=35&Itemid=64
Progress!
I got a reply today from the email I sent yesterday.

"Richard,
Thank you for the link. I am envious of such an adventure. We are always more than happy to help out riders abroad.
If you can, give me a buzz sometime tomorrow and well see what we can do."

'07 990A
Parting '98 1100GS. Need Anything?
Hootowl is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2010, 06:22 PM   #828
Reverse
Armchair Tough

Oddometer: 1,261
Excellent!
Old 08-09-2010, 06:23 PM   #829
Fab418
Pig ridin'

Oddometer: 174
Quote:
Originally Posted by kwakbiker
wonder if anyone has a standard GS shock that could be shipped outr to tide you over
I do have one stocker. If it can help I can ship it any day.

You are wonderfull beings doing the most wonderfull things!

Good luck to you both!
My HPF: 21 inch-mx forks R11GS conversion
Fab418 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2010, 07:56 AM   #830
Gramp-Z
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 777
tsiklonaut ; I beg to differ with your statement that you are just regular people . To many of us "regular " people , you two are super stars ! I personally think your ride report is the finest I have read ! The level of your adventure along with descriptions and excellent photography are in a class by themselves . Many thanks from one of your envious followers ! Best wishes for a quick shock replacement and a continued safe journey .
Gramp-Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2010, 01:43 PM   #831
SS in Vzla.
Totally Normal? I'm not!

Oddometer: 1,165
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rectaltronics
And those of you who wish to make every penny count, note that if you have a fully set-up account with PayPal you can send money to them without fees on either side by logging into PayPal, clicking the Send Money tab, then clicking the Personal tab in the dialogue underneath.

Unfortunately PayPal does not make a convenient button for that to paste into web sites.
+1

I think this is the best way we can help them right now.

I'm sure everybody here has payed for a movie or a good book.
IMO this RR is better than any book or movie.
Money sent.
Old 08-10-2010, 04:15 PM   #832
SHO
SHO

Oddometer: 1
Just found your RR. Amazing.

I visited Hunza in 1988, but then we travelled by bus/jeep/train in Pakistan and China (Xinjiang, Inner Mongolia). Hunza is one of the most beautiful places I've seen, to date. Really like your pictures, and I remember many of the places and the nice people. And the apricots!

Hope you can get the shock absorber fixed.

I have a very well functioning modern (and computerized) Multistrada 1200, but I begin to think that maybe one should use a simpler bike than both the GS and the Multistrada, like an Africa Twin or so, to go to really distant places...

Just got home from Ukraina (July 2010)

See some pictures from a really nice trip to Marocco here http://forum.soe.se/showthread.php?t=35279 - though the text is in Swedish, the pix are universal :)
SHO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2010, 08:17 PM   #833
PlasticSun
Long Live The Supertanker

Oddometer: 331
I was reading this while also shopping on ebay for a light meter but you guys could use the scratch more. Sending some good vibes and a little cash your way incase the good vibes get lost along the route.

Thanks again for an incredible report.
PlasticSun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2010, 09:27 AM   #834
Hootowl
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,243
I invited the Ohlins representative whom I've talked to on the telephone and via email to respond directly to this ride report but so far no response.

Here's what I did find out:
Their shock busted right at a internal circlip from repeated bottoming out caused by a shock that's under sprung and a overloaded motorcycle ridden on very rough roads.

Here's a list of Ohlins distributors in Europe that can repair their shock:

TURKEY
SPORMOTO A.S.
Halk Cad. No: 71
Barbaros Mah. Yeni Sahra
Istanbul
Tel. +90 216 472 3994
Fax. +90 216 470 0312
E-mail: selcukb@spormoto.com

ESTONIA
Larsen Kaubanduse O
Oja 19 Tallinn 13516
Tel: +372 67 999 70
Fax: +372 67 999 75
E-mail: yamaha@yamaha.ee
Web: www.yamaha.ee

GERMANY
hlins DTC
Gottlieb-Daimler-Str. 25
D-53520 Meuspath
Germany
Tel: +49 (0) 26 91 937 780
Fax: +49 (0) 26 91 937 7890
E-mail: info.odtc@ohlins.se
Web: http://www.ohlins.eu/de

ITALY
Andreani Group International s.r.l
Strada della Romagna, 361
Loc Colombarone
61100 PESARO (PU)
Tel. +39 07 2120 9020
Fax. +39 07 2120 9023
E-mail: info@andreanigroup.com
Web: www.andreanigroup.com/

'07 990A
Parting '98 1100GS. Need Anything?
Hootowl is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2010, 09:50 AM   #835
kwakbiker
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 608
So is that the ohlins mans view from looking at the pic? I still wouldnt be happy with a shock splitting open just from bottoming out....not good enough on a 600 shock IMO. yes its took some abuse but you dont seem to hear other stories of them failing like that.

anyway, i digress, hope you two are getting along as best as possible at the moment
kwakbiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2010, 09:55 AM   #836
WOXOF
Just wander'n

Oddometer: 706
I would wager to guess that the accident and bent/broken sub-frame was a big factor in its failure.

just my humble opinion
IBA #33096
WOXOF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2010, 01:36 PM   #837
Harald
Adventurer

Oddometer: 85
Everyday I'm longing to get your incredible pictures and stories! An amazing RR and I'm glad to donate some money to get you ahead!

Good luck!
Harald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2010, 08:37 AM   #838
tsiklonaut OP
the (in)famous boxer perv

Oddometer: 1,068
Thank you guys for all the feedback and advice here on the forum and in private messages. We really appreciate it, but have not gotten chance to reply personally. We do consider every proposed option carefully, but due to many current uncertainties we have not made up a plan yet as to what we will do with the shock issue.

It has been hectic times here in Pakistan, but not only because of the shock. Actually we might say that we can trace the source of our current situation back to Islamabad where we made the decision to apply for Iranian visa through the embassy, and not through some travel agent. We thought we would save some money by doing that. After we lodged the applications we headed to the KKH, because we were told that it would take at least two weeks up to a month to get a reply from Teheran as to whether they approve or not. Time is not a big issue for us, we thought, and headed out.

After two weeks there was no response from Teheran, and we were told to call back in a week. After three weeks there was still no response, so we headed to Baltistan and managed to finish off the shock. Obviously that was not enough.

After four weeks of waiting, only I had an affirmative response, and none for Kariina. Weird, because we applied together. But anyway, some visa is just a formality and our world will not come to an end even if we do not get to visit Iran. There must be other options for continuing our journey, shipping the bike directly from Islamabad or Karachi to Dubai, for example (have not researched this option yet, so not sure though).

But here is another problem, and that is a big one. As said, it is not the shock. The thing is that due to rainfall KKH has been blocked in many places, and since the KKH is the only viable access road to this region, there is no way to get back to Islamabad! Optimists say that it will take 20 days to restore the access, but some estimate it to take two months!

So the final line is that we are stuck in Skardu, with a broken shock and expired visas (there is no way to extend them here, because obviously Estonia is not one of the 45 countries the citizens of which are entitled to apply for an extension here) - or you could say - illegally. Interesting, how such a thing as a broken shock can become only a secondary problem, but we know that it can.

Sorry again for not having replied to all the advice - due to a landslide, an optic cable was damaged and the only internet in Skardu is over the modem, which means extremely slow.

No easy solutions here in Pakistan.
tsiklonaut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2010, 10:37 AM   #839
timk519
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,339
Oh my goodness - where's a good airlift when you need one?
Old 08-13-2010, 11:58 AM   #840
pachovilla
Adventurer

Oddometer: 31
Yaiks.....

Just arrived to this thread, Ive been reading for a week and now I get to keep up to date and realize that this aint no adventure tripp, this is a real journey for you guys so keep on living dreams.

Somehow you will manage to cross Iran, or some of the "Tans" (Afg, Taji or so..), or flight, or back to New Deli to heal your road warrior (cause your GS really is), or just go and kick some Iranians ass at the emabssy.

The thing is that you are not alone, for what Ive seen tons of ADVs are supporting. So chear up, enjoy your illegal overstay and keep on rolling...

06 XR 650r "La Bte"...
pachovilla is offline   Reply With Quote