Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-01-2009, 11:30 PM   #16
chrisjk OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 176
Quote:
Originally Posted by bxr140
In the grand scheme of things, I think this is a low priority. Unless you've already spent your money on your suspension, I wouldn't bother. The three or four 17" options should be plenty capable for virtually anything you can navigate with the 800.
I think this is a pretty fair comment although my desire for a wider tyre choice is not simply based on what I think might work better off-road. For example, I have had the opportunity to compare the wear characteristics of a Dunlop 908RR on a KTM 950 SE and the TKC 80's on my bike over enough of the same miles to convince me that I would really, really like to run the 908s.

In truth, I don't know enough to say whether the different aspect ratio (140/80 rather than 150/70) would make a difference to the handling of the bike, so any change would be a it of a gamble.
Old 07-02-2009, 12:05 AM   #17
lawe
lawe

Oddometer: 141
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bartron
Although not exactly a fix, it does make things a bit better...

http://f800riders.org/forum/showthre...t=20868&page=3

scroll down to post #73
I'm the author of that post. I think it helped, more relaxed driving now. But read the posts after no.73 also before using the hack-saw. There are different opinions on this, but i'm sure the pulley needs some kind of modification if you wan't to get it less "snatchy". As all other mods presentated on forums, you need to decide for your self what to do with it.
lawe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2009, 05:45 AM   #18
Dert Gerl
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 205
I was pretty dissappointed about the 17" rear wheel when I initially bought the bike, but in my search for tires for a baja trip I ended up with these ...

Michelin Deserts
http://www.michelinmotorcycle.com/in...m?event=Desert

I come from the dirt bike side of things rather than the street bike side of things and I think you'd be hard pressed to find a tire that wears substantially better than this if you're talking a knobby tire.

I did 2100 miles from Phoenix to 3/4 of the way down the baja penninsula and back up with a KTM 990. We did as much dirt as possible while in baja and the tire wear was comparable bike to bike.

The Michelin Deserts have a super stiff sidewall and performed great!
Old 07-02-2009, 06:53 AM   #19
chrisjk OP
Gnarly Adventurer

I will give Deserts a try at my next tyre change, although I would observe that I know a number of folk with 18 inch rears who moved to 908RRs from Deserts and prefer them on wet pavement and in mud.
Old 07-02-2009, 12:02 PM   #20
lawe
lawe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Singletrack_mind
It seems to me that it might be nice to have a real off switch on the ABS, something you could turn off when you began your day in the dirt & forget about (which of course is why they aren't shipped this way). What comes to mind would be to wire a switch in to one of the sensors so that when the ABS runs it's preflight check it can't see the sensor if the switch is off so the system reverts to the normal braking mode. I'm sure you'd have a big annoying ABS light on your instrument cluster all day, but hey, that'd remind you to turn it back on!
If You wan't to disable the ABS for a whole day you can easily remove the ABS sensor from the back wheel and zip tie the sensor to the brake caliper or hose to secure it. Of course your ABS warning lamp will be flashing all day, but that might be a good reminder the next day you are using the bike. I can't see what harm this could do to the bike.
Old 07-02-2009, 01:48 PM   #21
StabbyMcCutty
Adventurer

Oddometer: 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bartron
Although not exactly a fix, it does make things a bit better...

http://f800riders.org/forum/showthre...t=20868&page=3

scroll down to post #73

Very nice. Thanks.
StabbyMcCutty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2009, 04:50 PM   #22
wonky
Team F5 !

Oddometer: 471
deserts

michelin arent listing the desert in 17" anymore in the uk at least.
rocking horse poo........
The main thing I'm into is going about on a bike, taking random routes; I'm really into the idea of making up journeys, and just seeing where they take you, because they always end up taking you someplace freaky.
Tom Jenkinson (squarepusher)

KLIM in the UK
Giantloop in Europe
adventure-spec
F800GS Crashbars
Yamaha Tenere Parts
KTM 690 Adventure-Spec Parts
KTM LC8 Adventure and SE Skidplate
wonky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2009, 01:15 AM   #23
Camel ADV
aka Oso Blanco

Oddometer: 1,348
I couldn't get the 17" Deserts in Canada either. Had to order them off Ebay from a US store.
Camel ADV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2009, 01:25 AM   #24
lawe
lawe

Quote:
Originally Posted by GNP77
Have more info or a link for this?!
Look at post 15 in this thread.

And be careful before cutting in the pulley. It's only a few millimeters thick where the wire rests. It cut through it but don't bother about that. Seems to work fine anyway.

I think you will get the best result if you take away some material at the point where the wire "leaves" the pulley on low revs (or should I say where the wire first touches the pulley when in idle). No matter where you take avay material from the pulley I think decreasing the diameter is the most important thing. Then you need to twist the pulley more to get full gas and that in turn should make the bike a bit less snatchy. It's similar to changing size of sprockets.

You should also try to remove as much slack ass possible from the wire. But be careful so it doesn't rev by it self when you turn left since the left forkleg will touch the wire on full left turn.
Old 07-04-2009, 12:26 PM   #25
Singletrack_mind
Cave Man

Oddometer: 365
Quote:
Originally Posted by lawe
Look at post 15 in this thread.

You should also try to remove as much slack ass possible . .

Allways a good idea!
Singletrack_mind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2009, 12:28 PM   #26
lawe
lawe

Old 07-05-2009, 07:16 AM   #27
lawe
lawe

I have also found that adjusting for a bit more slack on the clutch makes it eassier to handle the bike at low speeds since there is less risk that you release the cluth to much by mistake.

So before you start cutting in the throttle pulley you should try adjusting the slack on gas and clutch wire to see if thats enough.
Old 07-07-2009, 09:04 AM   #28
lawe
lawe

Quote:
If You wan't to disable the ABS for a whole day you can easily remove the ABS sensor from the back wheel and zip tie the sensor to the brake caliper or hose to secure it. Of course your ABS warning lamp will be flashing all day, but that might be a good reminder the next day you are using the bike. I can't see what harm this could do to the bike.
And now i'm starting to quote myself....

Here's an easier way to disable the ABS for a day in the dirt: http://f800riders.org/forum/showpost...6&postcount=20. It's just to remove a connector under the seat.
Old 07-07-2009, 09:10 AM   #29
chrisjk OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
And now i'm starting to quote myself....

Here's an easier way to disable the ABS for a day in the dirt: http://f800riders.org/forum/showpost...6&postcount=20. It's just to remove a connector under the seat.
Thanks for that - a good one!
Old 10-04-2009, 07:31 PM   #30
Bartron
Bike Punisher

Oddometer: 693
So did anyone lace an 18" on the rear? Issues with ABS?

==================================
:: Furious Basterds: Velox, Vehemens, Oblivio
::
:: "For those who don't understand, no explanation is possible. For those who do, none is necessary."
Bartron is online now   Reply With Quote