User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-01-2009, 02:37 PM   #1
AngryRed OP
Lost in Cyber Space

Oddometer: 365
Anyone else's F800 Hot as Hell?

I read through the thread a while ago about the F800 venting lots of hot air on the rider's legs. Mine does this as well and when I'm wearing regular pants to work instead of my riding pants it is very noticeable. Nothing I can't deal with, just noticeably more hot then any other bike I have owned.

Fast forward to this week. It's 108 in Vegas, feels like 208 to me but that's another story. Anyway on the ride home last night the air venting off the bike was bad, really bad actually. My legs were burning and about half way home I noticed I couldn't keep my knees against the faux tank because the frame was too hot. When I finally got home the frame was cooking so bad I couldn't touch it. Of course the trusty temp gauge reads 4 bars the whole way home even though the bike is hotter then its ever been. Funny thing about the temp gauge is it reads 4 bars in 30 degrees and 4 bars in 110 degrees. Go figure.

Anyone else noticing this now that its hot outside? I'm supposed to ride down to San Diego this weekend but I'm slightly worried about how hot the bike has been.

2013 Super Tenere
AngryRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2009, 02:59 PM   #2
itsatdm
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,732
City traffic and slow going offroad, does raise the temps above the comfort level. Quits as soon as moving again after a short period.
itsatdm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2009, 03:58 PM   #3
LILGS
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 192
Quote:
Originally Posted by itsatdm
City traffic and slow going offroad, does raise the temps above the comfort level. Quits as soon as moving again after a short period.
+1, and the hest travelling past your legs is a good thing. why? because it means the heat around the heads/engine is being removed from that area so it reduces overheating. its better than putting the heat into the front of the fuel tank..

stop whining and get over it.. in the cold its a good thing !
LILGS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2009, 04:18 PM   #4
Under_Score
Adventurer

Oddometer: 27
I live in Vegas also and I noticed the same thing the other day when I got home on my 800gs. I cannot keep my legs tight against the bike on my way home from work at 4 in the afternoon.

My old dirtbike used to be the same way so I am kind of used to it.

...Under_Score
Under_Score is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2009, 05:00 PM   #5
AngryRed OP
Lost in Cyber Space

Quote:
Originally Posted by LILGS
+1, and the hest travelling past your legs is a good thing. why? because it means the heat around the heads/engine is being removed from that area so it reduces overheating. its better than putting the heat into the front of the fuel tank..

stop whining and get over it.. in the cold its a good thing !
Why whenever you ask a question one knuckle head always has to pull out the "stop whining and get over it" comment.

I wasn't whining simply asking a question. Do you even own an F8? If not your opinion isn't requested. Stop telling people to stop whining, its so 2008.

2013 Super Tenere
Old 07-01-2009, 05:02 PM   #6
AngryRed OP
Lost in Cyber Space

Quote:
Originally Posted by Under_Score
I live in Vegas also and I noticed the same thing the other day when I got home on my 800gs. I cannot keep my legs tight against the bike on my way home from work at 4 in the afternoon.

My old dirtbike used to be the same way so I am kind of used to it.

...Under_Score
Thanks dude, I guess what surprised me was how hot the frame was. I'm not talking about hot to the touch, more like scalding to the bare hand type of hot. Just wondering if that's normal. I'm also concerned because my bike is slated for the radiator hose recall and the guys at LV BMW haven't gotten back to me on the part availability. Add that with the suspect gauge and you can see where I'm coming from.

2013 Super Tenere
Old 07-01-2009, 05:47 PM   #7
itsatdm
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,732
Quote:
Originally Posted by AngryRed
Why whenever you ask a question one knuckle head always has to pull out the "stop whining and get over it" comment.

I wasn't whining simply asking a question. Do you even own an F8? If not your opinion isn't requested. Stop telling people to stop whining, its so 2008.
I think it's Canadian for "I am an Ass"
itsatdm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2009, 05:58 PM   #8
AngryRed OP
Lost in Cyber Space

Quote:
Originally Posted by itsatdm
I think it's Canadian for "I am an Ass"
Heh well that clears things up.

Happy Canada Day...
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Canada_Day

2013 Super Tenere
Old 07-01-2009, 08:30 PM   #9
danman
tumbling tumbleweed

Oddometer: 172
Man, you are right about the heat. It is around 100 all this week in Texas, and the bike puts out even more heat on top of that. I bet it is 120 coming off the engine. The crash bar mounting bolts that are on either side are very hot to the touch. I bought some heat tape from Aerostich and put that over the bolts and that really helps. I can't ride in my shorts on the bike for fear of getting a burn (I know, I know, but I am just going to the FEDEX office about 5 blocks from the house). Even in my riding pants it is pretty noticeable. When I get up to speed I can put my heels on the pegs and ride with my legs wide open and it gets my legs out of the hot engine airflow, a noticeable difference but it looks pretty goofy to ride that way. The heat seams to 'hug' the body of the bike, it flows along the sides right into my leg. Temp guage reads normal. Doesn't look like there is anyway to block the heat without messing up the airflow. I bought the BMW wind deflector kit for the 800 thinking that might be a quick and simple fix for $50, here is the link;

(http://search.ascycles.com/search?w=...nd%20deflector)

But I don't think it would solve the problem as it would move the ambient airflow away from the bike, not the hot engine airflow. But I haven't tried them yet. They just stick on with adhesive tape but turns out they won't clear my crash bars unless I do some engineering on them. The bike does not put out the same heat in the winter, runs much cooler. My buddy rides a Tiger (last model) and says it also puts out the heat.
danman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2009, 08:44 PM   #10
rockinrog
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,833
Hot Seat

Keeping with the heat theme, has anyone noticed their ass getting extremely hot(not in a good way)? There have been a cple times I have actually stood up to look at the seat and make sure the bike wasn't on fire. The weird thing is it is not everytime I ride the bike that I notice it.
rockinrog is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2009, 09:35 PM   #11
ChicoJustin
n00b

Oddometer: 3
Mine's hot too. I was wondering what removing the cat would do for it. I know that produces and holds a lot of heat. W/O that the heat would just flow out the back of the muffler. Can anyone without a cat comment on that??
ChicoJustin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2009, 10:28 PM   #12
mazze
Adventurer

Oddometer: 28
I used to have a F800S (same engine) and it never got hot. And I don't remember ever hearing the fan. The displayed temperature was too stable to be true.

Now I have a Honda Transalp 700 and that is one hot bike. In slow traffic the fan kicks in all the time and it's very effective both cooling the engine and sending more hot air to the rider.
mazze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2009, 11:33 PM   #13
One Eye Mike
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 658
You guys should move to Alaska, my bike NEVER feels too hot up here!
One Eye Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2009, 01:42 AM   #14
Wildman
In my castle

Oddometer: 17,887
When Angry met Harry: http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=467021
Ridden; GBR CYM DEU FRA ESP AND MCO ITA BEL SCT LUX CHE SMR LIE AUT NLD POL LTU LVA EST SWE FIN NOR DNK CZE SVK HUN ROU BGR GRC MKD SRB ALB MNE BIH HRV SVN MYS IRL BRA MAR PRT ARE USA ISL JPN MLT Planning; AUS TUR MDA UKR MEX BLR MNG RUS KAZ TJK KGZ SEN ZAF ZMB MWI NZL IND CPN
Wildman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2009, 08:28 AM   #15
Singletrack_mind
Cave Man

Oddometer: 371
One thing about the GS 800 that's a little diffferent from most bikes I've owned is that the rider's legs are right up against the cylinder & cylinder head area on the engine, which of course is where the heat in an engine is generated. There's just a couple inches there between your leg and the engine & the only thing keeping you off it is the steel frame tube which is of course also going to get hot. I can't think of another bike I've ridden where the top end of the engine has been so close, the rider practically grips this engine with his/her knees.

So, yeah, my legs get hot but I don't think it's a problem, just a rather normal and forseeable result of the bike's design.

I can't speak to the complaints about the seat getting hot though, that I just haven't experienced.
Singletrack_mind is offline   Reply With Quote