Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > GSpot > Parallel Universe
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-04-2009, 06:04 AM   #31
Roadscum
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,826
Is the heat issue related only to the GS, or do all F800/F650's have this heat management problem?

I sold my Buell Uly because of excessive heat and want to have to go through that again.
Roadscum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2009, 06:20 AM   #32
Edgy Drifter
Err...what?

Oddometer: 220
Back on Topic

Yeah, mine gets hot, I can feel it at lights and pulling away, dissipates after that, never viewed it as a flaw. My seat gets hot but I attribute that to long hours on pavement, when I'm dirt blasting, up, down, it's not noticeable.

09 F800GS
13 500 exec
Edgy Drifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2009, 07:33 AM   #33
Harry Swan
One more time

Oddometer: 1,095
Don't do what I did!!!

I'm back from an abbreviated 'month long trip' that fortunately involved a good portion of the Canadian Rockies because I was riding my F8 with Aerostitch tank panniers sitting in front of my knees blocking all airflow but from the engine vents.

Those in cooler climes are right about the heat being welcome when the temps drop into the 40's and 50's but when I went from 50 to 100 f in a matter of hours the heat had me standing for relief. FWIW, I wore BMW Santiago riding pants which do vent.

Angry, I'm ordering the wind deflectors. I'll let you know.
Old 07-04-2009, 10:32 AM   #34
One Eye Mike
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 658
[quote=raider]
You mention a frame too hot to touch, but what's the sun like where you're from?

Cold.
One Eye Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2009, 11:58 AM   #35
Singletrack_mind
Cave Man

Oddometer: 362
Tank panniers, air flow

[quote=Harry Swan]I'm back from an abbreviated 'month long trip' that fortunately involved a good portion of the Canadian Rockies because I was riding my F8 with Aerostitch tank panniers sitting in front of my knees blocking all airflow but from the engine vents.

Wow, I'd not thought of that. I spent quite a bit of time trying to mount some soft panniers I have up front as tank panniers for a trip to Utah this week. Gave up eventually & put them in a more normal place (but high, because of the exahust). Up front my bigest concern was not blocking the side ports that exahust hot air from the back of the radiator. I had overlooked how hot the rider might get without fresh air flow from in front!

BTW, did you ever notice any elevated heat reading on your coolant temp guage? I still wonder what tank panniers might do to radiator air flow.
Singletrack_mind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2009, 12:41 PM   #36
ChicoJustin
n00b

Oddometer: 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by musca999
So what's the difference between riding a motorcycle lidless/wearing shorts/flipflops/naked/whatever and skydiving?

They are both dangerous (potentially deadly) but we do it because we LIKE it. I thought we rode bikes because we liked to ride bikes.

The other day crossing Tennessee a Harley dude passed me and pointed to my head cuz I wasn't wearing a helmet. WTF! What business is it of his whether I want to wear a helmet or not. Why do people feel so compelled to impose their views on others? I could never understand it, but it is nonetheless annoying. It just puts a kink in an otherwise great riding day.

So next time do us (ok well...me) a favor and keep your negative comments to yourself. Don't worry, we all know you fit in and you're cool. You have nothing to prove here.
They probably don't want to see another rider get hurt from a stupid crash. I picked up a harley rider off the pavement the other day, he crashed while going around a 10mph corner. Turns out he hit his head, but he didn't have a scratch on him. He was wearing a skull cap. Now he's got a pressure cooker valve in the back of his head and he's braindead. But to each their own.
'08 Summit 800 146"
'06 Summit 800 144"
ChicoJustin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2009, 01:33 PM   #37
Harry Swan
One more time

Oddometer: 1,095
Quote:
Originally Posted by Singletrack_mind
I spent quite a bit of time trying to mount some soft panniers I have up front as tank panniers for a trip to Utah this week. Gave up eventually & put them in a more normal place (but high, because of the exahust). Up front my bigest concern was not blocking the side ports that exahust hot air from the back of the radiator. I had overlooked how hot the rider might get without fresh air flow from in front!

BTW, did you ever notice any elevated heat reading on your coolant temp guage? I still wonder what tank panniers might do to radiator air flow.
Even if you blocked a portion of the exhaust ports there's still enough to vent on the inside ... albeit, right at the rider and under the seat! My butt was never cold even at 40 Fahrenheit. As to the coolant gauge, no high temps noted. But one curious thing was the external temperature, I saw a lot of 98.6 readings riding in hotter climes. Coincidence, I'm sure.
Old 07-06-2009, 10:41 AM   #38
AngryRed OP
Lost in Cyber Space

Oddometer: 365
I rode 800 miles this weekend to San Diego and back. I can tell you this much, the heat is way less noticeable in my riding pants then it is wearing jeans or khakis. It was 110 degrees in Amboy Thursday (wtf) and the bike was hot but the airflow wasn't horrible on my legs. It was noticeable and uncomfortable but not as melty-gooey as with regular pants.

I really like the idea of possibly eliminating the catalytic converter at some point. The only header I've seen yet is the Remus and I believe there is some fitment issue with the bash plate once you use that pipe. I believe a considerable amount of heat is coming up from the cat as well as venting off the engine.

2013 Super Tenere
AngryRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2009, 11:01 AM   #39
mrpete64
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 566
this bike is like a early fjr when it comes to heat!!

This bike is like my fjr...hotter than hell. No...not just warm....hot and in my opinion...dangerous!! I have had many bikes over 50 years and this one is the worst to date. I am sure that there are bikes that are worse...so please list them so I wont buy one!
This is going to be a great bike for Canada.
Old 07-06-2009, 01:09 PM   #40
AngryRed OP
Lost in Cyber Space

Oddometer: 365
This is a great bike for lots of peeps! Honestly I've owned everything from a Ducati Monster to KLR650 and this bike almost seems like it was tailor made for me.

The trick is to work through the quirks that every bike has. My Duc ran so lean it surged in 1st gear, my KLR burned a quart of oil every 500 miles, you get the picture.

We have already identified a few possible suggestions to mitigate the heat problem. The side panels may help, removing the catalytic converter sounds promising, plus I'm sure someone will come up with some other ideas as well.

Don't be discouraged by the heat issue, we just need to find a fix to make it go away.

2013 Super Tenere
AngryRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2009, 02:13 PM   #41
steelerfan1069
bugkiller

Oddometer: 50
I'm always tempted not to "suit up", as I own a black, one piece Aerostich Roadcrafter. Over the years I have found i'm always better off wearing the suit. It does the obvious, plus actually makes hot weather riding more tolerable. I dont notice the engine heat at all with the suit and it blocks the blow drier like wind of 100+ temps. I often soak my t-shirt with water and then suit up, which is nothing short of chilly at any temp.

Off-road with my enduro pants (fox) on I dont notice any excessive heat, maybe because i'm up and down off the seat to much. Plus, the crotch is leather all the way down the inseam.

I know that I cant ride this bike with shorts on, to hot, jeans maybe, suit no problem. As good a reason as any to "suit up". Pain in the ass! I know!

I would like to think that if my bike were to over-heat, the guage would give me some type of warning.

'09 F800GS
steelerfan1069 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2009, 11:26 AM   #42
danman
tumbling tumbleweed

Oddometer: 171
Finally went on a far enough trip to wear long pants. Me and my buddy did a speed trip to camp overnight in arkansas when the last cool front came through. The bike is still putting out a lot of heat, but it is much less noticeable in a pair of proper riding pants than in jeans or shorts. I was wearing the BMW summer pants, great pants but badly named. They must be made for summer in Alaska because they are not vented at all, the Kahki color seems to keep them cooler than jeans or darker pants. Anyway, I also put some heat tape on the crash bar mounting bolts and parts of the frame I might touch while riding and that makes a big difference. Those parts are now only warm to the touch instead of hot.
danman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2009, 09:56 AM   #43
atoms
drunk

Oddometer: 314
Perhaps BMW could make an 800 boxer instead? Sticking the heads out in the breeze seems like an idea that didn't need to be "fixed".
atoms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2009, 10:35 AM   #44
Emmbeedee
Procrastinators

Oddometer: 8,885
Quote:
Originally Posted by atoms
Perhaps BMW could make an 800 boxer instead? Sticking the heads out in the breeze seems like an idea that didn't need to be "fixed".
I wouldn't buy an 800 boxer - I wanted a water cooled parallel twin, and that's why I bought mine.

Besides, didn't they already make an 800 boxer, and it weighed pretty much the same as the big ones since it shared so many parts with them?
Emmbeedee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2009, 10:58 AM   #45
Wildman
In my castle

Oddometer: 17,762
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emmbeedee
...Besides, didn't they already make an 800 boxer, and it weighed pretty much the same as the big ones since it shared so many parts with them?
BMW R850GS

Ridden; GBR CYM DEU FRA ESP AND MCO ITA BEL SCT LUX CHE SMR LIE AUT NLD POL LTU LVA EST SWE FIN NOR DNK CZE SVK HUN ROU BGR GRC MKD SRB ALB MNE BIH HRV SVN MYS IRL BRA MAR PRT ARE USA ISL JPN MLT Planning; AUS TUR MDA UKR MEX BLR MNG RUS KAZ TJK KGZ SEN ZAF ZMB MWI NZL IND CPN
Wildman is offline   Reply With Quote