Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-03-2009, 01:14 PM   #46
atoms
drunk

Oddometer: 314
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emmbeedee
I wouldn't buy an 800 boxer - I wanted a water cooled parallel twin, and that's why I bought mine.
And yet here we have scads of reports of how hot the thing is. What good is the water cooling if the bike is too hot to ride?

Dang whippersnappers and your new-fangled technology!
atoms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2009, 02:07 PM   #47
Law Dawg (ret)
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 820
Not as hot as Hell...maybe as hot as the path that leads there. You know, the one that is paved with good intentions?

My area (Bakersfield) tends to be on the warm side (perhaps as hot as the hinges to the gate to Hell ;-) and all my riding lately has been in town hops. I suspect it will not get any hotter than in stop and go traffic here. It really does not seem all that hot to me.
Old 08-03-2009, 04:44 PM   #48
AngryRed OP
Lost in Cyber Space

Oddometer: 365
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Swan

Angry, I'm ordering the wind deflectors. I'll let you know.
I checked these out at the dealer. They were trying to charge me almost 70 bucks for what looked like two pieces of slim rubber.

Do they actually do anything?

-AR

2013 Super Tenere
AngryRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2009, 04:53 PM   #49
Emmbeedee
Procrastinators

Oddometer: 9,346
Quote:
Originally Posted by atoms
What good is the water cooling if the bike is too hot to ride?
It's not, just some people think it is for them. Yes, the location of the water pump on the top of the right cylinder head does tend to get hot but you don't have to rest your leg on it.
Emmbeedee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2009, 05:37 PM   #50
]I)Money
D NOT I

Oddometer: 3,586
I started paying attention after a couple of guys posted about the heat issue. I hadn't noticed it particularly before. What I noticed was, if I kept my legs really tight to the tank, then it seemed a bit warm, but I don't normally ride that way, so it hadn't affected me previously.

"Another road remains, but it provides no more. It can only take us away"
]I)Money is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2009, 05:41 PM   #51
upweekis
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,537
they do put off some heat, but growing up with the old British twins and Harleys, I don't notice it.
Since I never drew Unemployment, never licked a food stamp, never spent a dollar of welfare, did my time in the military, and voted in every election since I've been old enough....I COMPLETELY REJECT THE PREMISE OF "WHITE PRIVILEGE"
upweekis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2009, 06:27 PM   #52
The Griz
North Forest Rider

Oddometer: 3,779
Mine puts off a considerable amount of heat to the balls as well. Especially during these Summer months. It is a motorcycle though.

For me it's welcomed in the early Spring and Fall!

The Griz screwed with this post 08-03-2009 at 06:36 PM
The Griz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2009, 07:23 PM   #53
EnderTheX
Drunken Squirrel

Oddometer: 2,715
Doesnt seem that hot in Texas (the bike that is...)

Hey Guys,

I got my F800GS a week and a half ago and I've already taken several rides into the blazing heat of the Texas back-country. Yesterday I was with my buddy around Glen Rose and we found a couple water crossings and dirt roads to have fun exploring on.

As you can see in the pic below I am currently wearing my street gear (need to buy dual sport gear soon) which includes a full face street helmet, black jacket, black gloves, and goretex hiking boots (I have street boots but I wore these if I need traction in the dirt).

I have felt a little hot air come off the sides but I don't ride with my knees close to the airbox. I believe it is related to the engine being close to the frame/your knees.

I will pay more attention to it next time. Anyways... It sure beats the BALL NUMBING heat coming from the tank (actually the engine under the tank) when I ride my SV650S on the back roads during the summer. At one time I was worried I had damaged my family jewels!?!

Also, getting hot?? Find some creek crossings and go fast!

(Oh yeah... to the guy who was angry at people telling him to wear a helmet in Texas, I'm not trying to tell you what to do (I love my Shoei!) but there is a helmet law in Texas as well, to bypass it you have to take the motorcycle safety course (go figure) or have proof of 10k personal medical insurance)
EnderTheX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2009, 08:15 PM   #54
Stuntman
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 677
In sweaty 'ol Nawlins, it aint that bad, unless you're ridin' neked.
Old 08-03-2009, 08:34 PM   #55
Harry Swan
One more time

Oddometer: 1,098
Quote:
Originally Posted by AngryRed
I checked these out at the dealer. They were trying to charge me almost 70 bucks for what looked like two pieces of slim rubber.

Do they actually do anything?

-AR
They arrived and were returned the same day. For once I want to direct air to me and they did just the opposite. Back to the drawing board.
Old 08-03-2009, 08:39 PM   #56
3Rugrs4GA
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,267
Yes It's Hot

First, let me say I love my f800gs but yes it can get very hot. I wouldn't trade my bike for any other bike currently, but interestingly I looked at Buells before I bought my f800gs and was turned off by the excessive amount of posts on this thread regarding the fan that blows heat directly back at the rider...unless I am crazy...isn't that what my bike is doing? Again, I am not trashing my bike. I do realize it's a bike and I am sitting just inches above and behind an engine without any firewall, air conditioner, etc.
3Rugrs4GA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2009, 09:11 AM   #57
mapuda
Crash Tested

Oddometer: 265
I live in Las Vegas also and have ridden in temps as high as 114 F. I have the SW Motech crash bars. It can get hot but I have not noticed it being excessive. I have also noticed that no matter what the outside temp or how hard I ride the bike the temp meter never gets above 4 bars. I have also noticed that when it gets hot the fan comes on and I have had some leakage from the water pump. Nothing excessive just noticed some white residue on the engine from dried coolant.

In my last bike I ran water-wetter instead of Ethylene Glycol based coolant. I have heard of folks also having good luck with Engine Ice coolant but I have personally not changed my coolant out yet as I don't want to have BMW challenge my warranty status if something breaks.

I don't hug the bike with my legs so much (more with my knees) so my guess is more air is flowing between my legs and the engine.
mapuda is offline   Reply With Quote