Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-01-2009, 07:35 AM   #61
sierraoffroad
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,280
does that price include shipping????

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wannabe2
I love the ingenuity of the homemade LED lights, using the 3-LED MR16 bulb. That KLR thread is awesome, I am very impressed with everything that guy does.

If you don't have a full machine shop, and a lot of spare time, then consider the VisionX 10watt, 900 lumen Solstice Solo light. These are simple bolt on, 2-wire hookup. Water proof, lifetime warranty. With the "advr" discount on visionxstore.com, the cost is just under $108 each.
sierraoffroad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2009, 12:49 PM   #62
JimVonBaden
"Cool" Aid!

Oddometer: 48,390
Quote:
Originally Posted by sierraoffroad
No, check out the web site.

Jim
JimVonBaden is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2009, 07:51 PM   #63
Wannabe2
Adventurer

Oddometer: 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by sierraoffroad
Yes, it does include free shipping

Any purchase over $99 gets free shipping. You do have to make sure that you select the $0.00 shipping option.
Old 12-18-2009, 03:19 PM   #64
Jammin
Living on a DR

Oddometer: 1,526
Guys,
I'm looking at getting 2 Solstices and now they've changed how they're labeling the different models. They have a

10 degree narrow
15 degree medium
35 degree wide
15 deg / 45 deg elliptical

http://www.visionxstore.com/index.php?cPath=45

I called up the rep and he said the elliptical one is a rectangular spread with a 15 deg up/down spread with sharp cut offs for oncoming traffic and a 45 deg wide left/right spread.

He said the 10 deg throws out the most light, as expected from a spot and was heavily recommending that, all though I dont think it suits our purposes.

I'd like to use 2 of them to replace running the stock headlight on my DR when I'm using other accessories during the day as I'm not putting out that much wattage. So, the 15/45 looks ideal, but I also want good light for remote riding, near field and far field.

What do you recommend I go with? I'm thinking one 15/45 and another 15.

I wish they still kept the Euro spread.

Trip Website: JamminGlobal.com
Current Ride Report: Global South | Past Trips: CDR '09, Alaska '08, Mexico '07 | YouTube Videos
Jammin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2009, 06:55 PM   #65
Mr. Canoehead
Taste Gunnels!

Oddometer: 1,415
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jammin
The 15/45 is the Euro spread with a new name - read that on another forum.

"No matter how many [internet] opinions you line up, you can't vote nonsense into truth"- Kevin Cameron
Mr. Canoehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2009, 09:52 PM   #66
BlackBeast
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 918
Quote:
Guys,
I'm looking at getting 2 Solstices and now they've changed how they're labeling the different models. They have a

10 degree narrow
15 degree medium
35 degree wide
15 deg / 45 deg elliptical

http://www.visionxstore.com/index.php?cPath=45

I called up the rep and he said the elliptical one is a rectangular spread with a 15 deg up/down spread with sharp cut offs for oncoming traffic and a 45 deg wide left/right spread.

He said the 10 deg throws out the most light, as expected from a spot and was heavily recommending that, all though I dont think it suits our purposes.

I'd like to use 2 of them to replace running the stock headlight on my DR when I'm using other accessories during the day as I'm not putting out that much wattage. So, the 15/45 looks ideal, but I also want good light for remote riding, near field and far field.

What do you recommend I go with? I'm thinking one 15/45 and another 15.

Jay,
Where were you planning to mount these on your DR and did you have any concerns with power draw. I have also been looking at the euro model, so will be keen to get your feedback.
BlackBeast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2009, 07:26 AM   #67
frtzl OP
Mors longa, vita brevis

Oddometer: 231
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Canoehead
I find that hard to believe. I have a Euro on my bike and it seems to be a slightly-diffused Spot pattern, certainly not an Oval pattern. For what it's worth the Euro was a model s1100 and the ovals are s1103, so probably not just a renaming.

I am interested in these new lights but only if the reflector can be set up so that the light pattern is correct when I install the lamps on my BestRest-style bracket, which has the mounting peg horizontal to the ground.

F

My rides:
2009 BMW F650GS (The Cruise Basselope)
2009 Yamaha Zuma 125 (Sold due to new commute)
2000 BMW R1100R (Blaue Engel) (Traded)
2006 DL650 Euro Black, lightly customized (Godzuki) (Sold)
frtzl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2009, 07:35 AM   #68
mboni
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 111
Cool2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Canoehead
There's no question that the Euro models that I have are not the same as the new 15/45 units. The Euro projects a perfectly round beam pattern on a wall: it produces a roughly 15 degree cone, with a slightly brighter cone inside that's about 6 degrees wide. There is a good bit of spill outside of that, useful for being seen but probably not for seeing.

I'd much prefer the elliptical beam, but I purchased several months ago before it came out. I did ask if the beam shape could be changed by altering the front lens, but apparently there is also a new reflector shape as well. (Translation: no upgrade via simple part replacement)
Old 12-21-2009, 09:35 AM   #69
Jammin
Living on a DR

Oddometer: 1,526
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackBeast
Jay,
Where were you planning to mount these on your DR and did you have any concerns with power draw. I have also been looking at the euro model, so will be keen to get your feedback.
I was thinking of mounting them to the lower fork bolts, just below the headlight. Yeah, concern on power draw is a reason I'm going for them, as I'm hoping to use them in place of the regular 55w headlight during the day time (putting a switch on the stock low beam) or when I'm using accessories on the bike. I checked out all the electrical components on the bike (generator output, regulator, connectors, etc) and all looks fine and within spec, except I'm not making that much juice, so hoping this will help there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by frtzl
I am interested in these new lights but only if the reflector can be set up so that the light pattern is correct when I install the lamps on my BestRest-style bracket, which has the mounting peg horizontal to the ground.
F
Quote:
Originally Posted by mboni
I'd much prefer the elliptical beam, but I purchased several months ago before it came out. I did ask if the beam shape could be changed by altering the front lens, but apparently there is also a new reflector shape as well. (Translation: no upgrade via simple part replacement)
So what do you guys think about going with one 15/45 and one 15 spot?

Trip Website: JamminGlobal.com
Current Ride Report: Global South | Past Trips: CDR '09, Alaska '08, Mexico '07 | YouTube Videos
Jammin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2009, 01:34 PM   #70
frtzl OP
Mors longa, vita brevis

Quote:
So what do you guys think about going with one 15/45 and one 15 spot?
I say go for it. I have mounted my lights in a similar position using a BestRest bracket: Euro on the left, Spot on the right. If the 45/15 had been available and would work in the orientation of the light that I needed, I'd go for 45/15 on the right (to sweep the road) and a euro on the right aimed slightly farther right (to help light up bambi).

As far as being effective lighting, I can vouch for the effectiveness of my configuration in all conditions other than fog or extremely heavy rain. They are bright but not blinding, and throw plenty of useful light forward once you have them aimed properly. Some light is wasted upward due to the conical pattern, but the 45/15 should remedy that.

Go for it!
Fritz

My rides:
Old 12-23-2009, 11:23 PM   #71
Wannabe2
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mboni
There's no question that the Euro models that I have are not the same as the new 15/45 units. The Euro projects a perfectly round beam pattern on a wall: it produces a roughly 15 degree cone, with a slightly brighter cone inside that's about 6 degrees wide. There is a good bit of spill outside of that, useful for being seen but probably not for seeing.

This is exactly correct. The new conical optics are improved. The 15degree spot is exactly that, a spot. The new 10degree has an optic that re-directs that inner 6degree pattern as observed above, and re-directs it into the most usefull light. Whereas before, the Spot was a bare cone with out a diffuser, and the Euro had the same cone, with a snap on diffuser that helped spread the light wider. The new 15degree (S1102) is basically still a bare cone, it does have a different size cone inside than the original version (which is one of the improvements). The 10 degree (S1100) has the same cone, but a different lens that re-focuses the light coming out of the middle. This one (S1100) is going to be the brightest, most focused light out of all 4-part numbers. If you liked the old style Euro, this is the part number you want to get, it is virtually the same, just improved.

The Eliptical, or 15/45 has a very sharp cut-off top to bottom, and has a very wide left to right spread. This is achieved again with a diffuser lens on top of the conical optics. You can tell that when the light is re-directed in such a sharp way, that you do lose some of the intensity or extreme brightness that you see on the 10degree version.

Unfortunately, the optics on alll the current models do NOT have interchangeable lenses as they were originally available. They are a one piece cone that is glued onto the circuit board.
Old 12-28-2009, 04:13 AM   #72
Sutherngintelmen
around the bend

Oddometer: 1,167
Install on a 690e

Added the VisionX Led's (Euro beam) to a 690e this weekend. Very impressed with light / amp.

Close up (note lights not on in pics - reflection of flash is all)

There is a pleasure in the pathed woods, There is a rapture in the smoking pipe, There is chaos, where none intrudes, in the deep dell, with its thrills roar; I love not nature less, but bikes the more. Byron riding.

All pics < 6/30/12 deleted by Apple Now with SmugMug supporting ADV
Sutherngintelmen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2010, 08:44 PM   #73
Wannabe2
Adventurer

Very nice installation!!
Can't wait to hear feedback.
Old 01-05-2010, 11:23 AM   #74
GMP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 65
Got my VisionX 10 deg spot lights yesterday, great service! I'll be installing them on my Hypermotard using a small angle aluminum brackets mounted to the inner handguard bolts (metal replacement handguards). It will look very similar to the 690E install above, in position anyway. I'll post a pic when done.

I got the relay harness, but its quite heavy duty for only two lights (1.5A). Do you guys run these off a relay? A switch should be fine.

'08 Ducati Hypermotard
'07 GasGas EC250
GMP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2010, 12:43 PM   #75
frtzl OP
Mors longa, vita brevis

I ran mine straight through the switch wiring, no additional relay for the lights. The wires in my switch are pretty light (18gauge, maybe less) and I haven't had any problems.

F

My rides: