Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-05-2010, 01:26 PM   #76
JimVonBaden
"Cool" Aid!

Oddometer: 47,875
Quote:
Originally Posted by GMP
Got my VisionX 10 deg spot lights yesterday, great service! I'll be installing them on my Hypermotard using a small angle aluminum brackets mounted to the inner handguard bolts (metal replacement handguards). It will look very similar to the 690E install above, in position anyway. I'll post a pic when done.

I got the relay harness, but its quite heavy duty for only two lights (1.5A). Do you guys run these off a relay? A switch should be fine.
30 watts total, so any decent heavy duty switch will probably be OK.

That said, a relay never hurts.

Jim
JimVonBaden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2010, 07:15 AM   #77
GMP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 65
Installed on Hypermotard. Worked out fine. Too much ice, gravel and salt to road test but by the looks of things should work great.

'08 Ducati Hypermotard
'07 GasGas EC250
GMP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2010, 08:58 PM   #78
Wannabe2
Adventurer

Oddometer: 77
Update??

What a great install!!
Have you had a chance to try out the lights yet?
Old 05-18-2010, 09:25 PM   #79
Wannabe2
Adventurer

Oddometer: 77
We need an update
Old 06-06-2010, 04:58 PM   #80
goldenchild
soth

Oddometer: 249
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wannabe2
We need an update
I've got an update for you ! I just spent about 5 hours installing the Denalis on my RC51. Yeah, I know I know. The bike belongs on the track but my track days are behind me and I've set the bike up for ST & LD duties.

It took me forever to run the wiring so that it remains hidden, and I had to fab my own brackets. As soon as the sun drops out of the sky I'll post some pics.

My initial impression of the Denali kit is very positive though. Everything is packaged neatly into it's own baggy, and the installation is as simple as pie. It's all plug and play with the exception of having to tap into a switched circuit.

What impresses me the most though is the amount of light that these generate given the fact their electrical draw is so small. When my bike is warmed up and idling, my voltmeter will read at a steady 13.6 - 13.7 volts (my tail light and signals are led and my low beam is hid). When I flick the switch to turn the Denalis on, the voltmeter goes all the way down to 13.5 - 13.6 , yet the amount of light being emitted by the bike is doubled (I think, it's hard to tell in the garage), even with the hid headlight. Pics up soon!
Old 06-06-2010, 10:25 PM   #81
myrwon
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 158
hey GC....where are the pics? Where did you order your Denalis from? TT?
myrwon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2010, 08:32 AM   #82
goldenchild
soth

Oddometer: 249
Quote:
Originally Posted by myrwon
hey GC....where are the pics? Where did you order your Denalis from? TT?
Sorry, I got lazy. I ordered the Denali kit from Twisted Throttle and received them the next day (they're in RI, I'm in NYC).

Anyhow, since I live in NYC, the ambient light is impossible to escape so I opted to shoot crappy pics out on the sidewalk instead (remember I got lazy).

Here's a pic of the bracket I fabbed out of 1/8" aluminum stock available at your local Crap Depot or Lowes. I simply drilled 3 holes, 2 for the mirror mount, 1 for the light. Sanded them, then rattled canned them with textured rustoleum. Underneath the light's mount I added a rubber washer to help absorb any vibrations -

With the lights on -

I wanted auxiliary lights to help widen the light's field of, well, light. And these will do the job beautifully. An additional bonus with these lights is that since they draw barely any power, I can run them all day, every day as conspicuity lights. In fact, I may order another kit to mount down near the front axle just because! It's not like it'll strain my electrical system!!

Here are the crappy pics -

HID low beam only. The HID is 6000k -

HID low beam with the Denalis -

HID low beam with the high beam (high beam uses an Osram Silverstar Ultra bulb) and the Denalis on -

As you can see, the LEDs run a bit whiter than the HID. Vision X and Twisted Throttle estimate that the LED lights run at about 4300K and I'm very impressed with them thus far.

I decided to go with the Denali kit because it's just that, a kit that arrives at your door with everything that you need to install them on your bike (apart from mounting brackets). Since there's no such things as RC51 mounting brackets, I didn't think this was a big deal because I knew I had to make my own anyway. Not to worry though, Vision X and Twisted Throttle have several bike specific mounting brackets available.

What I liked about the Denali kit specifically as opposed to the Vision X Solstice kit (the Denalis use Vision X lights) is that the lights come wired with a 24" leads as opposed to the Solstice's 6". For some this may not be a big deal, but for me, I needed the extra length to snake the wiring inside all of my fairings. With the 6" Solstice wiring, the connector would've been flapping in the breeze which would've been UGLY.

Also, the Denali kit's mounting hardware is black instead of the silver of the Solstice kit, a bonus for me. And finally, the lights come shipped with a spare set of lenses to change the lights from 15° "Euro" spots to 25° fog lights, the Solstice kit does not. The Denali kit is $12 more than the Solstice kit, for me, the extra $12 is more than worth it!

What's nice about the Vision X kit is that they offer you 3 additional choices of mounting bases (handlebar, post mount, flat surface mount). If you go with the Denali kit and need another style of mount, you can always order them from Vision X separately.

I'm VERY HAPPY with the kit and I can now rest easy on my next ironbutt attempt... I'll be seeing those deer long before I reach them!

goldenchild screwed with this post 06-07-2010 at 08:39 AM
goldenchild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2010, 07:47 AM   #83
PerfectStranger
Systema Encéphale

Oddometer: 366
Old 11-14-2012, 07:17 PM   #84
aardschok
Fallout Rider

Oddometer: 545
I installed some Narrow beam Solstice S1100 LED lamps from Vision X on my DR650 Recorded them in action on the streets.
http://youtu.be/M7kaHMCXqhk

Old 11-15-2012, 12:03 PM   #85
Sweman
n00b

Oddometer: 6
Question

Hi!

I will order a 2 solo pods for my 1150 GSA -02 and don´t know which beam 10,15, flood ,or elliptical to choose? I want them as daytime running lights, not so much for the nights. So which should I order?
I want to avoid dazzling other cars. Sorry for the bad english :)

Thanks!
Sweman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 03:19 PM   #86
aardschok
Fallout Rider

Oddometer: 545
The ones in my video are the narrow 10 deg. beam. Hope that helps you any.
Old 11-16-2012, 03:57 AM   #87
sierraoffroad
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,243
i have the solstice in the euro pattern. i'm not sure if they still make them in that pattern, but they are a great combo of flood and spot. i've had them on my wee a few years now and they are terriffic. they cut through fog fairly well. there seems to be quite a few copy cats out there. i've seen them sold in pairs for 139.00. i would love a pair for my quad next.
sierraoffroad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 10:47 AM   #88
JimVonBaden
"Cool" Aid!

Oddometer: 47,875
Now go out and spend $20 on a set of grips!

How do they ever get so bad?

Jim
JimVonBaden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 09:27 PM   #89
lukeinlondon
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 431
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NAdJEXHX0NU
lukeinlondon is offline   Reply With Quote