Go Back   ADVrider > Gear > Vendors
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-30-2009, 06:31 PM   #16
ShadyRascal
Master of None

Oddometer: 5,959
Yep, that is directly west of my house maybe 2 or 3 miles, I'm going to check out those coordinates asap.

Undaunted Courage was one of my favorite books ever.

Evolution, or, natural selection, has nothing to do with better.

It merely weeds out what is no longer suitable for the given context.

Originally Posted by Dragoon

I would rather be on my motorcycle thinking about God than in church thinking about my motorcycle.
ShadyRascal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2009, 06:56 PM   #17
geno_rocket
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 137
From the Start of the Trail...

Quote:
Originally Posted by LewisNClark
Well over 2 years of putting the information together...
Living in the Gateway City, at the start of the expedition, and having read the Journals, Undaunted Courage, and spent untold hours exploring in the footsteps of Lewis and Clark, I am jumping for joy! This is a fantastic electronic addition to my collection of information.

PM sent....

The long range plan to retrace the route just got better. Many, many thanks!

geno_rocket screwed with this post 12-30-2009 at 07:03 PM
geno_rocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2009, 07:08 PM   #18
LewisNClark OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 964
Should look familiar...and I bet U where this is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by geno_rocket
Living in the Gateway City, at the start of the expedition, and having read the Journals, Undaunted Courage, and spent untold hours exploring in the footsteps of Lewis and Clark, I am jumping for joy! This is a fantastic electronic addition to my collection of information.

PM sent....

The long range plan to retrace the route just got better. Many, many thanks!
LewisNClark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2010, 08:09 AM   #19
Kamala
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 12,325
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShadyRascal
Undaunted Courage was one of my favorite books ever.
Great Book but a real tough read with all the (time) period phrasing and spelling! It sure beat watching Fred McMurray and Charlton Heston duke it out in Far Horizons though!

PM sent for ordering info!
Old 01-06-2010, 09:33 AM   #20
LewisNClark OP
Studly Adventurer

3 maps of the Lewis and Clark Traill.

A number of PM’s and emails have asked me to layout reasonable mileage routes to take on the Lewis and Clark Trail. The following three maps start and end at key historical sites and are each roughly 3,000 miles (one way ). Each map provides their share of asphalt and off-road trails. Depending on where you live and the distance that is from the trail. One of the below maps could be a choice for a starting point.

This map runs along the roads paralleling their campsites and covers both the west and east routes combined. The 3rd map includes Lewis’s and Clark’s separate routes home. They reunited at Reunion Bay, North Dakota.

Very scenic route and contains the most campsites of the entire Trail. Missouri Breaks are amazing and a must see
but are a challenge to get to.

The most scenic portion of the trail. The horseshoe (SEE BELOW) of their route is where they screwed up and lost their direction, but provides one of the most scenic areas of the Trail. The Lolo Trail is a must and my favorite part of the entire trail. Lemhi Pass and Gibbons Pass are also a must see. Ms. Angles store in Tendoy, ID a worth while stop.

LewisNClark screwed with this post 01-17-2010 at 07:17 AM
Old 01-06-2010, 02:58 PM   #21
ShadyRascal
Master of None

Oddometer: 5,959
Quote:

Ms. Angles store in Tendoy, ID a must stop.
I drive by that all the time, and every time I think that it is so cool. That, and the tiny log house post office just north of Salmon.

Evolution, or, natural selection, has nothing to do with better.

It merely weeds out what is no longer suitable for the given context.

Originally Posted by Dragoon

I would rather be on my motorcycle thinking about God than in church thinking about my motorcycle.
ShadyRascal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2010, 03:48 PM   #22
LewisNClark OP
Studly Adventurer

Mrs. Angles - a little angel.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShadyRascal
I drive by that all the time, and every time I think that it is so cool. That, and the tiny log house post office just north of Salmon.
Yep – class lady….there are 200 yrs of history within a couple of miles from her store…

Mrs. Angles – 92 years old, 4' 11" (after breakfast), and a mind that is as sharp as a tack. Still works 6 days a week,
sometimes ½ day on Sunday after church.

The road (Agency Creek Road) right beside her store takes you to those 200 yrs of history.

This Coral and Stagecoach waystation are still there. Agency Creek used to be the main road over Lemhi Pass.

Clark’s first campsite in Idaho…a couple of miles down Agency Creek, past Mrs. A’s store. Readers Digest used to have an article called, "The 10 most memorable people I've ever met"...well Mrs. Angles is on my list.

LewisNClark screwed with this post 01-13-2010 at 10:53 AM
Old 01-07-2010, 04:53 PM   #23
Lambo
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 602
Awesome

Thanks for the PM and the follow up on this. A great effort and very interesting.

Quote:
Only 20 to 25 people on AdvRider have purchased the CD.

The picture CD of 1,200 photo's of the Lewis and Clark Trail is by far the most popular item. ($24.95)

If you live in the WA area, you live in one of the best ride areas of the L&C Trail...from Astoria, OR over to Missoula, Montana is my favorite part of the trail, especially the Lolo Motoring Hwy. My favorite find in your area is a cave where Sgt Ordway and Colter caught 3 infant bear cubs and spent the day playing with them...there is a marker there now....but way off the beaten path and real hard to find.

The CD and Book are sold exclusively at Lewis and Clark better bookstores & museums (like at Cape Disappointment in WA) but sold here on AdvRider at a discounted price.

In my case when I left Astoria (following the return journey) my GPS lead me to each campsite all the way back over the Lolo Trail. GPS coordinates came directly from an interpretation of William Clark's measurements of mileage from campsite to campsite and his writing down of latitude as they traveled. I'd estimate that 95% of the GPS coordinates are very accurate and the other 5% are my interpretation of their description of their campsites in the "Lewis and Clark Journals" that was published in 1809.

The GPS coordinates took three of us 2 1/2 years to complete and is the only such publication. You do have to download EasyGPS (free) to export the GPS file to a GPS unit...it's recommended to download gps coordinates by state since there are over 1,000 gps coordinates.

There are currently over 2,000 of the CD/books in circulation and at a least dozen AdvRiders, professional photographers, and RV's that are using my GPS file to travel parts or all of the L & C Trail.

LewisNClark

LewisNClarkTrail@gmail.com

T

Support Mental Health or I'll Kill you.

Ironically, Chuck Norris’ hidden talent is invisibility.
Lambo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2010, 06:49 AM   #24
LewisNClark OP
Studly Adventurer

About tough read

Some of it is a tough read 'til you get used to it. Clark had what was equivalent to a 3rd to 5th grade education. His siblings taught him pretty much everything he knew, over 6 mths. He spelled everything like he thought it sounded (he'd have a dozen spellings for the same word), and his handwriting was very poor. But I couldn't write with a feather quill on dried leather either. But Clark seemed to be quite good with math, and calculating latitudes and was dead-on when it came to estimating/measuring distances. Yet he was the main author of the Lewis and Clark Journals.

Brad Pitt and Robert Norton are currently supposedly working on a 10 hour mini-series TV (or movie) about the Expedition. Pitt being from Missouri is a big L & C fan, and is supposed to play the role of Wm. Clark. The movie, Far Horizons, was a stretch of what really happened.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamala
Great Book but a real tough read with all the (time) period phrasing and spelling! It sure beat watching Fred McMurray and Charlton Heston duke it out in Far Horizons though!

PM sent for ordering info!

LewisNClark screwed with this post 05-20-2010 at 11:57 AM
Old 02-02-2010, 07:56 AM   #25
LewisNClark OP
Studly Adventurer

CD shipped

Mark, Jane, and Allen - CD's shipped this AM.

LnC

LewisNClark screwed with this post 02-02-2010 at 11:10 AM
Old 02-02-2010, 12:36 PM   #26
thetourist
Just passing thru

Oddometer: 3,770
I constantly direct travelers over Gibbons Pass and Lemhi Pass. They are very cool routes, scenic and full of history.

I've talked to Viola a couple of times and she is full of L&C and Indian lore. I wonder if she has written a book? Did she or her parents settle in Lemhi Valley? Did she show up by wagon or Model T? Hmmm, I feel a ride coming on.
thetourist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2010, 02:00 PM   #27
LewisNClark OP
Studly Adventurer

Lemhi/Gibbons and Mrs. Viola

That is for sure:

I saw a herd of at least 20+ Elk on Lemhi Pass up FryPan Creek Road. On Gibbons Pass saw a huge bull moose, cougar, and at least 100 mountain goats (or sheep, which ever they are), and at least 100 antelope/or pronghorn on the top of Gibbons Pass. Man what a view towards Wisdom, MT.

What’s so cool about Mrs. Angles is her enthusiam, quick wit and sharp mind at 92 years old. She arrived in Tendoy, ID from northern Idaho if my memory is correct. No formal education but she was the smartest lady in the community so she was appointed to teach at the local (Shoshoni) one-room school. Taught English and History. I think she moved there in the late 1930’s or early 1940’s. I think she arrived by horse and wagon with just her husband, who passed away something like 25 years ago. After his death she took over their old country store.

Teaching the Shoshoni kids gave her a lot of local history knowledge, and of the Shoshoni culture. She can still remember some of he old Indian chiefs in their Indian dress…which is amazing. If you go back in her store she has pictures on the back wall are old Indian chiefs in their costumes. Her school is still there and in use, down the Agency Creek Road next to her store. Go down Agency Creek Road, about 2 miles out is an old Stage Coach way-station from the old west, the rotted down corral and way-station is still there (my RR has pictures of it). I was expecting to see John Wayne ride up any minute. Two more miles up Agency Creek Road is the first Lewis and Clark Campsite in Idyho, well marked, right on the side of the road. Many people think L & C came over Lemhi Pass but as Mrs. Viola Angles corrected me, the Idaho side of Lemhi Pass Road was not built until the 1950’s. Agency Creek Road used to be the equavilent of Lemhi Pass Road, and is the real road (trail) L & C came down.

I was in Whitehall, MT probably 200 miles from Ms. Viola Angles store and if someone did not know the answer to my questions about a campsite, they/everyone referred me to Mrs. Viola. If you go back there I’d highly recommend North Fork Road all the way to the end….35+ miles, “Fourth of July Creek Road”, and “Tower Rock Road” (where the Pyramids are located).

Remember Ms. A is 92 years old, and I consider her an American treasure.

LewisNClark screwed with this post 02-02-2010 at 05:08 PM
Old 05-18-2010, 11:12 AM   #28
LewisNClark OP
Studly Adventurer

DVD's shipped

Daniel T - your DVD and CD were shipped today. I also gave you some places in your backyard to explore along the Lewis and Clark Trail.
Old 07-16-2010, 02:31 PM   #29
LewisNClark OP
Studly Adventurer

Lewis and Clark Tracks & Pictorial shipped

JRyden - both your CD's were shipped at 5:30 pm today.

LewisNClark screwed with this post 07-16-2010 at 05:39 PM
Old 10-27-2010, 10:34 PM   #30
Jamie Z
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 7,622
Eventually I'll probably purchase this set. Very interested in this type of history. Reading the Journals now, and it's hard to put it into modern context.

Jamie

Budget Travel the Jamie Z Way
Jamie Z is offline   Reply With Quote