User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-02-2009, 03:12 AM   #1
AKDuc OP
Alaska Born Ducatisti

Oddometer: 6,508
AKDuc's Dust 2 Dawson '09

Yet another great far north gathering near the Summer Solstice!

Weather was the craziest this year coming and going but luckily not too bad in Dawson. Even tho we had a few days of near record heat earlier this summer up here in the Great White North, the days before D2D were pretty darned chilly. How chilly? The night before we hit Tok on our way to Dawson it was 28f/-2c! Thankfully, the sun did show thru some each day and give us some much appreciated warmth.

We almost had a really huge group departing together but many decided to get an earlier start outta Anchorage. FlyRescue (Ben), The Mad Hatter (Daniel), Dicon, and their pillions showed up to ride out with me and my neighbor FarNorthBusa, aka Vic in the orange vest.

With FarNorthBusa living on one side of me and adv'er AKTurkey (John) on the other, there are 3 adv'ers in row on our little cul-de-sac. John really wanted to go this year as he had such a great time last year but had just taken a new job and couldn't. It was John's lovely and quite famous daughter Olympic Snowboard medalist Rosie Fletcher who took these photos of us.

On the road. Daniel and his lovely pillion Tammy on their Tiger.

Dicon and his lovely pillion Evelyn. Quite the artwork on the panniers, eh?

Neighbor FarNorthBusa Vic and his blinged out brand new WeeStrom.

FlyRescue Ben's fiance' and Vic work together and Ben decided to join us for this ride. Ben's into sportbikes and dirtbikes but decided to give his (free) 1980 Yamaha a try as a dualsport. He said it did really well but now he's in the market for a real dualsport because of the wonderful time he had on this trip!

Heading north above Sutton.

Farther north twisties nearing Long Lake.

And even farther north nearing the construction around Hick's Creek. Notice the fresh snow on the mountain tops!

And who did we find waiting at the front of the line at the construction? The world famous adv'er "sheepskin buttpad" Barb (orange helmet), her hubby Vic, and Scorpion Helmet rep John from California. John came up and rented a bike just for this trip. Barb said he went home "a changed man" as he's ALL about dualsport adventure riding now!

Through the construction we go.

Approaching Glenallen about 180mi north of Anchorage.

In the distance, the ever impressive Mt Drum looking especially striking with fresh snow.

Getting into the flatlands and straight stretches near Tok were many of us were planning on staying at the Eagle's Claw m/c only campground again this year. Last year we filled the place up completely. Slightly less turn-out this year. Oh and yeah, just a wee bit chillier this year. As I mentioned earlier, 28f/-2c at night. A few miles back we went thru some hail that turned the ground white. Luckily it only lasted about 1/2mi. and didn't turn the road slick.

The next day. My little KLR in the big burn area between Tok and Chicken, AK.

Last stop before the border, Boundary, AK on Top of the World Highway.

First time ever using my brand new passport got me into Yukon Canada.

Stopped at the top to take advantage of some sun for more photos.

Me-n-my lovely little KLR on Top of the World Highway. Next stop, Dawson City Yukon. Mark H.

AKDuc screwed with this post 07-02-2009 at 01:47 PM
AKDuc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2009, 05:30 AM   #2
GB
Mod Squad

Oddometer: 55,316
Oh ya!! Great group ride!!

Old 07-02-2009, 06:03 AM   #3
Buffalo Bill
kickthetire.litethefire

Oddometer: 997
Another Year...

Hey Duc,

Looks like you wintered well...The KLR looks pretty good too....

Thanks for posting up....

Bill
Buffalo Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2009, 08:25 AM   #4
jimblack
Adventurer

Oddometer: 88
Sure missed it this year

Mark,
Thanks for the great report as always. I cant tell you how much I missed this trip this year. I really thought i could make it then the dates of this run changed. I had a commitment that I could not get out of.
Gonna try to take Mason on a trip to Whitehorse to make up for it.

Miss seeing ya,
Jim and Mason
Old 07-02-2009, 07:25 PM   #5
Spicy McHaggis
Darth Peach's cracker...

Oddometer: 3,789
Very cool, Mark. Wish I coulda been there.

I'm assuming you were in one of the groups of riders that I passed as I was heading towards Los Anchorage???

Spicy
Old 07-02-2009, 08:11 PM   #6
AKDuc OP
Alaska Born Ducatisti

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spicy McHaggis
Very cool, Mark. Wish I coulda been there.

I'm assuming you were in one of the groups of riders that I passed as I was heading towards Los Anchorage???

Spicy
Thanks. Yeah, wish you, Jim B, and many other previous attendees had been there laughing it up with us all too! Good times.

Spicy, the group I was with was sitting in the Sheep Mountain Lodge eating when you went by. Since you're new to the area, you probably didn't even notice it as you didn't even glance over. IMO Sheep Mt has the best food on that stretch of road. Yummy!

Hopefully I make it to the Kodiak gathering this Fall.

I'll get to more of this report tonight. Mark H.
Old 07-02-2009, 08:14 PM   #7
the darth peach
eats crackers in bed

Oddometer: 11,397

the darth peach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2009, 11:26 PM   #8
AKDuc OP
Alaska Born Ducatisti

Hi Rivka! ^

And how about you, next year?

Mark H.
Old 07-02-2009, 11:33 PM   #9
the darth peach
eats crackers in bed

Oddometer: 11,397
Quote:
Originally Posted by AKDuc
Hi Rivka! ^

And how about you, next year?

Mark H.
I'd love to.

we'll see how long I can stay off the bench
the darth peach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2009, 12:53 AM   #10
AKDuc OP
Alaska Born Ducatisti

Dawson

So here we are. Complete with the renowned yellow booted bard of the "Sour Toe" tale crossing main street!

And notice too the slightly out of place blue Suby on the left. Young Chad drove it up from Nevada and timed it to be here with his parents, multi D2D attendees MotoMama and HackyMoto. Word has it he did the complete poker run in it albeit to the sacrifice of some body panels.

This year I decided to try tenting it in Dawson just to socialize a bit more. This photo is of our site in the Downtown RV Campsite. Not bad but there wasn't any place for a campfire! Oh well, still a lot of fun. Everyone in this photo is from the Anchorage area. Even Beezer on the far right, tho he touts he's originally from Spenard, AK "the center of the universe."

Besides D2D many others were in town this weekend to see the finish of the longest annual canoe and kayak race: http://www.yukonriverquest.com/ at 460mi/740km.

I knew a few people from Anchorage who were competing this year. The two girls I knew paddling solo kayaks both had to scratch with shoulder ailments. It was still fun and quite a surprise to them to see me in Dawson! This is the boat my friend Susan paddled, a Current Designs Extreme. Long, narrow, and fast.

1st place went to Team Texans in a very custom all carbon fiber extreme tumblehome canoe.

2nd place went to a First Nations team from northern Saskatchewan who the day before stopped to lend a helping hand to the Texans after their canoe overturned. The canoes:

While the landscape surrounding Dawson is stunning, I especially enjoy visiting with the riders from all around the world at D2D, like this 19yo from Croatia on his way round the world on a highly admired Tenere.

And then there's The Games.... Ah yes, the D2D bike games. Four different solo events, the slow bike race, the ball drop, the cone weave, and the blindfold challenge. Fun!

Here's my neighbor Vic doing the blindfold challenge seeing how close he can stop on a paper plate down the street. When I first heard of this event I thought to myself "I've never ridden a motorcycle with my eyes closed!" Very strange. So I went to an empty parking lot and came to a stop with both feet on the ground, closed my eyes, got going again and then stopped a ways away. Bizarre sensation to say the least.

So this was my 3rd year participating in the games. All without ever winning anything. Till this year.... yep, I'm the '09 D2D Ball Drop Champ! Too funny. This photo of me is compliments of my good bud and master KLR and A&P mechanic Beezer.

There are also 2 tandem rider events, the water balloon toss and the wiener grab. Crazy fun. Maybe next year I'll ride with my pillion pegs on.

Kersplash! Oops, looks like Brian and his pillion missed one.

And the illustrious adv'er Ace and his pillion doin the wiener grab. And it's a miss.

Here's a thread with more 2-up game photos for those interested: http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=480312

Next, the trip home. Mark H.

AKDuc screwed with this post 07-03-2009 at 03:33 AM
Old 07-03-2009, 03:14 AM   #11
2touringtheworld
World shrinkers

Oddometer: 1,211
Hola Mark!!!

Way to go Mark! Keeping the tradition! Sorry we couldn't be there this year, so thanks for taking the time to do another report for us to be there with you in spirit.

Maybe we can make it next year.

Best to you!

Mike and Kim
2touringtheworld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2009, 04:52 AM   #12
East Coast Rider
Just Me...

Oddometer: 3,819
NICE!! Can't wait to get back up there and finish off the Dempster Highway!!
Me: Give 'em hell, little Bro!
Dan: Roger that.
East Coast Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2009, 01:20 PM   #13
Juvat
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 695
Superb effort Mark! You are my favorite trip writer. Keep up the good work.
Juvat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2009, 02:23 PM   #14
SCOTTSST
Adventurer

Oddometer: 54
good stuff Mark I need to make it up there some time it looks like a real blast ! are you still planing on coming down to the lower 48 soon ?

07 Yamaha FZ6
03 Duc monster 800s
SCOTTSST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2009, 01:38 PM   #15
vegasphotog
Las Vegas Cheechako

Oddometer: 3,255
Great report and pix MARK...bravo!