Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-01-2012, 10:43 AM   #31
mountain eagle
terrorist

Oddometer: 2,907
Quote:
Originally Posted by StmbtDave View Post
If you look at the rear tread pattern of the K60 you will see it comes in two flavors. The 17" has a solid strip down the middle with knobs on the sides while the 18" appears to be more of a total knobby. The dealer explained that the 17" tread was designed for the GS's that spend the majority of their time on pavement while the 18" was designed for large dirt bikes. What you don't notice is that the knobs on the 18" only stick out about 1/4" and once that 1/4" is worn off, the tread becomes solid in the center, just like the 17". Dave
I think it depends on the width of the K60 too. On the 140 which is on my SE the center depth is all the way to the wear bar. Funny tho, I like the TKC 80 on the front so far for both the 610 paired with the 908 and the 950 paired with the K60. To be fair I haven't had much off road time on the K60 yet...........
my smugmug gallery
How can it be fun if there's not at least an outside chance of dying?
mountain eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2012, 10:52 AM   #32
charlie264 OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 7,534
Quote:
Originally Posted by mountain eagle View Post
I think it depends on the width of the K60 too. On the 140 which is on my SE the center depth is all the way to the wear bar. Funny tho, I like the TKC 80 on the front so far for both the 610 paired with the 908 and the 950 paired with the K60. To be fair I haven't had much off road time on the K60 yet...........
Yep. Head explains all.
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=672510

One good thing with the SE...you get opportunity to sample a lot of rear tyres......I think the difference between the Mefo explorer and Super explorer is pattern due to width like the K60.
Old 09-02-2012, 03:49 PM   #33
Harty
Bloody Good Bloke!

Oddometer: 249
Quote:
Originally Posted by charlie264 View Post
Iíve been running a 140 K60 Scout...Itís ok. Nowhere near the miles suggested by one BM guy...I need to start writing stuff down but about 4K miles and it getting to the end where it will become useless off road.

Overall Iím happy; itís a very tight fit on the rim. Had one puncher where the tyre span on the rim...more than likely a slow puncture first. If youíre going for a 140 then the Metz Sahara 3 is a good tyre on the slab...but on the SE finished at about 4.5K miles.

I wanna try a Mefo next.
Zen Overland just restocked their 150 width Mefo super explorers on Thursday if you're after one
Old 09-02-2012, 06:53 PM   #34
spencergt66
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 712
Txc80

Put a txc 809 on the rear of the SE a week ago all the local deler had was a 150 rear 600 miles about 60% dirt and the tire don't look too happy. There was about 12 guys running the heidenau ties nothing bad to say about them there're going everywhere I was. The one guy from Canada on the supertennera had over 11k miles and was still running it. Said cj stopped by his place was running the same tire with 15k miles think next set I get I'm going to give them a try
spencergt66 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 08:35 AM   #35
gefr
Life is a trip

Oddometer: 3,731
Is there something wrong in tyre numbers?

Quote:
Originally Posted by StmbtDave View Post
I went with the K60 150/70-18 on the rear

If you look at the rear tread pattern of the K60 you will see it comes in two flavors. The 17" has a solid strip down the middle with knobs on the sides while the 18" appears to be more of a total knobby.
The dealer explained that the 17" tread was designed for the GS's that spend the majority of their time on pavement while the 18" was designed for large dirt bikes. What you don't notice is that the knobs on the 18" only stick out about 1/4" and once that 1/4" is worn off, the tread becomes solid in the center, just like the 17".

Dave
I am using a Heidenau K60 150/70/18 and the center has a strip where the grooves are shallow. From pictures I've seen the 150/70/17 is the same. Only the 140/80/18 has the deep grooved pattern.
Cheers.
gefr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 12:00 PM   #36
Off Road Ryder
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,129
Quote:
Originally Posted by spencergt66 View Post
Put a txc 809 on the rear of the SE a week ago all the local deler had was a 150 rear 600 miles about 60% dirt and the tire don't look too happy. There was about 12 guys running the heidenau ties nothing bad to say about them there're going everywhere I was. The one guy from Canada on the supertennera had over 11k miles and was still running it. Said cj stopped by his place was running the same tire with 15k miles think next set I get I'm going to give them a try
Its all about how you ride. The sales rep also told me I should get 9K out of a K60. Wrong...
Just pulling the k60 off the rear of my adv. at about 2500 miles and its TOAST, not much better lifespan than a 908 and not near the traction off road. I did like the smoother running tarmack operation.
it was decent on FS roads. Forget about any mud.
It will be 908's for me from now on.
www.cyclopsadventuresports.com
1-800-624-0278
Off Road Ryder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 01:38 PM   #37
Xmoto
Death Race

Oddometer: 2,107
I went to a local dealer to buy a set of K60 for my 950 and they told me they were on back order for weeks. I ordered them from http://www.revzilla.com and had them in a few days,
Old 09-03-2012, 04:49 PM   #38
Nailhead
Painting by numbers

Oddometer: 6,110
I think the difference lies only in the name.

Great tires, but one caveat to these mileage claims: if you ride on too many chip-sealed roads, your mileage will be shortened by quite a lot.

I would guess my Mefos have about 50% of their highway miles run on chip seal, and the rear is on track for replacement at 5-6K miles.

A good run in any case, but well short of some of the mileage claims posted here.

'7? Benelli 650S, '80 BMW R100 RS, '07 KTM 990 Adventure
Nailhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 04:55 PM   #39
sportbiker929
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 166
Tire Pressure.

95 XR650L, Mikuni Pumper, Yosh, Baja Designs race Light, Pro tapers, Cycra Pro Bends, Magura 1/4 turn, Pirelli MT90s.
sportbiker929 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 05:33 PM   #40
v8toilet
Nothing to see here.

Oddometer: 1,709
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nailhead View Post
I think the difference lies only in the name.

Great tires, but one caveat to these mileage claims: if you ride on too many chip-sealed roads, your mileage will be shortened by quite a lot.

I would guess my Mefos have about 50% of their highway miles run on chip seal, and the rear is on track for replacement at 5-6K miles.

A good run in any case, but well short of some of the mileage claims posted here.
Yep if you go mostly pavement but lots of chip seal 5000 is all you'll get.
v8toilet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 05:49 PM   #41
triplenickel
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,422
As with every single other tire in the world it's the rider not the tire that dictates the lifespan. There's no magic rubber boys.

PG007
"Up there where you eat moose-cock you must all be rockets scientists."
triplenickel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 06:54 PM   #42
Nailhead
Painting by numbers

Oddometer: 6,110
Quote:
Originally Posted by triplenickel View Post
There's no magic rubber boys.
No, but there's better.

'7? Benelli 650S, '80 BMW R100 RS, '07 KTM 990 Adventure
Nailhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 05:19 PM   #43
bomose
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 997
My K60 has 4650 miles on it and is about half worn out. This is mostly touring fully loaded, some two up.About 1k miles of dirt in Co and Utah two up.I like it even though it is noisy on the street. It's not a sport tire but handles well for what I'm doing. Did fine in the rain and in the sand of Canyonlands.

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showt...=955211Chasing Dinosaurs
bomose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 06:39 PM   #44
SierraJeep
It's toast

Oddometer: 627
MEFO vs. MOFO

I have tried both on my KTM 990 ADV. Here's what I have to say about each of these tires:

The MEFO is not a tubeless tire and the Heidenau is a tubelss tire. This makes for a big difference if you're on the side of the road fixing a flat and don't happen to carry an air compressor with a mid sized air tank attached to it (and who does?). When re-installing the tire, it takes quite a bit of effort (and air pressure) to get that safety bead out of the rim well with your (slow) 12v emergency compressor. Even with WD-40 or some lube to put on the bead.

If you never get unexpected flats and only change these tires in your garage, then this shouldn't really matter. Otherwise, the MEFO is much easier to change on the roadside than is the Heidenau. [Qualifier: Both tires were 150/70 - 18s.]

As for wear, the front Heidenau K60 (non Scout) is a much better tire than the Mefo Explorer front as it resists cupping 200 times better than did the Mefo.

As for mileage and traction (on the rear tires), I found these two tires are very similar. To me they are both a great tire for 50/50 all around dual sport riding, and are even acceptable for 70/30 dirt/pavement riding, too.

Since everyone rides differently and in different terrain, there's no point in saying what might work best for anyone else.

That is all.

2010 KTM 990 Adventure
2010 KTM 450 EXC

SierraJeep screwed with this post 09-06-2012 at 09:59 PM
SierraJeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 07:50 PM   #45
bomose
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 997
Your point about changing a flat is a good one. The Heidenau was a bitch to get mounted even in my shop.
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showt...=955211Chasing Dinosaurs
bomose is offline   Reply With Quote