ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Southeast, The Lair of the Dragon - The Blue Ridge and Smoky Mountains
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-19-2013, 06:40 AM   #571
biker128pedal
Super Lurker

Oddometer: 2,807

I see that at Farm Fresh sometimes.

Wee Strommin along.
biker128pedal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 06:44 AM   #572
biker128pedal
Super Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingJarhead View Post
QAZ said a 4hr trip to grab KELLY ford tag, assuming roundtrip. I Assuming Lynchburg as the hub.
I found a Mt. Airy, Va east of Greta on Rt40...nothing on google plus it is spelled the same.
But still nothing

The building construction looks like the state building on 250 going from Va to WVa. But the Trees and low vegetation look like SW Va near the NC border.

Has anyone posted and official question on the Tag thread lately?

Wee Strommin along.
Old 07-19-2013, 06:46 AM   #573
Retro
Just the Facts Ma'am

Oddometer: 33,320
Quote:
Originally Posted by STBNE View Post
LOL pls dont take it personally...its just that the rules are dumb and the times allowed are excessive...and the stupid rules abt chatter and ppl complaining they are confused about multiple pictures that add history or meaningful content to the game or even give a useful hint...
I have played some very competitive TOR's where things move constantly and if they dont there had better be a good reason or the game will be moved along...
Not taking it personally at all. This game's been going for over five years, and has faced challenges that needed to be addressed. It usually goes something like it has this time. People have a lot invested in this site, and maybe in this game. I'm empathetic to that.

Often the tag and drop are on the same day. Sometimes not, but usually the next day. QAZ posted his new tag quickly.

Chatter and pictures that confused things did cause problems. I have this site loaded to show 40 posts on a page, and it got so that there would be almost 40 posts of nonsense with photos of bikes in front of things (including one time a file photo of the tag with a bike in front of it IIRC). That causes confusion. It also causes thread drift. The Damn Chatter Thread takes care of that. Nobody is being stifled.

I've found that it's pretty easy to put some meaningful history about the tag in the post without it being distracting by using links. If a rider wants to do a mini ride report, then they can do it in Day Trippin', or this thread and do a link.

Sometimes this game moves slowly, sometimes it moves fast. It's evolved, and people have high expectations. Boatman is 100% correct in calling out QAZ, and we've got a great example of unacceptable clues.

If you go back to the beginning of this thread, look at my original post. That level of clues isn't really done anymore. It got to the point where people were trying too hard to make figuring it out as challenging as possible.

So, what time limit do you think there should be for someone to leave better clues?

I'm thinking 24 hours after notification in the thread. If enough people complain in the thread that the clues are useless, then you've got 24 hours from that point to improve your post. If you aren't online, then too bad. You should have checked back in.

Quis custodiet ipros custodes?
Retro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 06:47 AM   #574
Retro
Just the Facts Ma'am

Quote:
Originally Posted by biker128pedal View Post
The building construction looks like the state building on 250 going from Va to WVa. But the Trees and low vegetation look like SW Va near the NC border.

Has anyone posted and official question on the Tag thread lately?
Definitely looks WPA like. Also looks like it could be in a park. Plenty of state parks within easy riding of the central state.

Could be near 60 or 501 as well. So many little mountain roads in that part of the state.

Old 07-19-2013, 06:52 AM   #575
Boatman
Take me down bitch!

Oddometer: 10,039
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retro View Post
You were online when I sent you the first PM. It would have taken you 30 seconds and I waited almost an hour before sending you a follow-up.

When I saw that you were going from thread to thread for almost an hour after receiving the PM, but had not deleted the photos I sent the follow up. Maybe you were enjoying the delay, but it would have been a bad thing if someone would have gotten your "new" tag.

More beating....

I was not online when you sent the first. My computer is usually left on the last screen I viewed when I walk away. Being that I don't log out of ADV or any other forums I belong too, that in fact would lead you to assume that I was sitting there. Would you care for me to send you my gps log for yesterday?

Yes it would have taken 30 seconds but I didn't. There was no harm done, the pics are gone. So are we going to keep up the beating?

And just in case it comes down to it... I will not claim the tag.

Hi/low beam conversions for: Trail Tech, Baja Designs
Boatman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 07:10 AM   #576
Retro
Just the Facts Ma'am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boatman View Post
More beating....

I was not online when you sent the first. My computer is usually left on the last screen I viewed when I walk away. Being that I don't log out of ADV or any other forums I belong too, that in fact would lead you to assume that I was sitting there. Would you care for me to send you my gps log for yesterday?

Yes it would have taken 30 seconds but I didn't. There was no harm done, the pics are gone. So are we going to keep up the beating?

And just in case it comes down to it... I will not claim the tag.
I figure we've both had our say on this issue.

It's too bad you won't claim the tag. It was you who took the initiative to make an issue of this very legitimate issue.

Old 07-19-2013, 07:39 AM   #577
bwalsh
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 10,718
Quote:
So, what time limit do you think there should be for someone to leave better clues?

I'm thinking 24 hours after notification in the thread. If enough people complain in the thread that the clues are useless, then you've got 24 hours from that point to improve your post. If you aren't online, then too bad. You should have checked back in.

Sounds good to me! A 12 hour response would be better. I mean, if you're going to take the time to play the game, you should take the time to see that it continues smoothly. That includes checking in now and then until your tag is grabbed. If you can't do that, you shouldn't play.

Extenuating circumstances excluded of course.

bwalsh is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 07:44 AM   #578
Retro
Just the Facts Ma'am

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwalsh View Post
Sounds good to me! A 12 hour response would be better. I mean, if you're going to take the time to play the game, you should take the time to see that it continues smoothly. That includes checking in now and then until your tag is grabbed. If you can't do that, you shouldn't play.

Extenuating circumstances excluded of course.
Would that give enough time for others to speak up and defend the guy who posted the clues if the original whiner (OW) isn't as smart as he thinks, or misses an important part of the clue?

Could 12 hours lead to strategic complaints aimed at stealing a tag?

Old 07-19-2013, 07:46 AM   #579
STBNE
Yamaha ADVenturer

Oddometer: 6,072
12 hours is more than adequate... it seems to me to be pointless to wait until noon tmrw to reset the game.....you've been more than patient...but there really is no need to wait any longer... YMMV

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk 2
STBNE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 07:52 AM   #580
biker128pedal
Super Lurker

Quote:
Would that give enough time for others to speak up and defend the guy who posted the clues if the original whiner (OW) isn't as smart as he thinks, or misses an important part of the clue?

Could 12 hours lead to strategic complaints aimed at stealing a tag?
My personal opinion is 12 hours is too short for someone to post a response to a question. I would go for once the tag is placed it should be week. Hate me but the ride to find is part of the challenge. I have been on a few wild goose chases for tags. But they were good rides. For now I won't be able to ride for a month. I wanted to do the Va Tour thing I saw on the Gloucester Courthouse Circle door. It is one of the stops. But it ends in the Fall and now I will not have enough time. For now I live though the little red Google map man.

Wee Strommin along.
Old 07-19-2013, 08:01 AM   #581
Retro
Just the Facts Ma'am

Quote:
Originally Posted by biker128pedal View Post
My personal opinion is 12 hours is too short for someone to post a response to a question. I would go for once the tag is placed it should be week.
Can you elaborate?

A week to make the clue better, or a week for someone to figure it out?

A week seems too long, since all the OP needs to do is log in and view the thread.

Old 07-19-2013, 08:10 AM   #582
KingJarhead
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,913
I think the 24 hour time to place tag and answer questions pertaining to clue/tag would be suitable. Sometimes I place tag and clues and then head to WV. I have no Internet or cell phone coverage there. 12 hrs would not give someone without a smartphone or Internet access time to respond.
Old 07-19-2013, 08:19 AM   #583
Retro
Just the Facts Ma'am

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingJarhead View Post
I think the 24 hour time to place tag and answer questions pertaining to clue/tag would be suitable. Sometimes I place tag and clues and then head to WV. I have no Internet or cell phone coverage there. 12 hrs would not give someone without a smartphone or Internet access time to respond.
I feel the same way about those who can't log on at work. 12 hours from the time of notification is probably too short.

Ride around Red Bank and it won't matter if you've got a smart phone or not.

Old 07-19-2013, 09:28 AM   #584
bwalsh
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 10,718
Most taggers leave obvious clues. There's no need to keep track of the thread in those instances. For those who make them a little challenging(like me) they need to monitor the thread a few times a day until the tag is grabbed.

Form the VA tag thread...

Quote:
What is the name of the brew?

I know, I was making a Pirate joke.

Saw a sticker on a car the other day. Picture of the stereotypical biker style cruiser with "Modern Day Pirate" "Two Wheels, One Road, Zero brains." :ymca
Fixed.

WTF is that supposed to mean, "two wheels, one road"?

bwalsh is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 09:29 AM   #585
hscrugby
"That guy"

Oddometer: 4,097
Quote:
Originally Posted by bwalsh View Post
Most taggers leave obvious clues. There's no need to keep track of the thread in those instances. For those who make them a little challenging(like me) they need to monitor the thread a few times a day until the tag is grabbed.

Form the VA tag thread...

Fixed.

WTF is that supposed to mean, "two wheels, one road"?
I prefer two wheels, no road.. Less idiots to dodge.