ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Southeast, The Lair of the Dragon - The Blue Ridge and Smoky Mountains
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-27-2009, 04:12 PM   #76
Guy Young
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 8,399
Quote:
Originally Posted by niceviewbehindbars
You were in Lynchburg and didn't hit up the T room?? They got some gooood Chilli. Been there many times in the weeee hours.

I spent three years in Lynchburg... I was a Jerry's kid.
T-room?? Are you referring to the Texas Tavern? If so, boy do I have stories. Another favorite haunt after a "night out" was the cafeteria at Lynchburg General? (one off of Langhorne Road). OMG - did we used to give the nurses a crock. Got kicked out of there more times than I can count.

I was not a "Jerry kid."
Old 07-27-2009, 04:28 PM   #77
niceviewbehindbars
out enjoying the vu

Oddometer: 1,392
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guy Young
T-room?? Are you referring to the Texas Tavern? If so, boy do I have stories. Another favorite haunt after a "night out" was the cafeteria at Lynchburg General? (one off of Langhorne Road). OMG - did we used to give the nurses a crock. Got kicked out of there more times than I can count.

I was not a "Jerry kid."
Yea, it's also known as the T room.

"The human spirit needs places where nature has not been rearranged by the hand of man." -Unknown
niceviewbehindbars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2009, 09:52 PM   #78
LadyDraco
KillerSmileIHazIt !!

Oddometer: 28,088
Quote:
Originally Posted by SRMN8R
I saw where you made some homemade jellies today...

I'm sitting here at my desk having some of my wifey's home baked bread. Sure wish I had something other than Food Lion Grape Jelly to go on it!

I've gotta make a run down to Danville, VA and get some Damson Preserves. Really sweet elderly lady makes them "just like Grandma" used to make.

I'm always making Jellies or Jams... Plus freezing Berries for pies..

We will have to do some kind of a camp a roo at the farm someday...

Check it from time to time as I'm always adding to it..
My Rides and life on the Farm
LadyDraco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2009, 09:54 PM   #79
SRMN8R
Down & Out

Oddometer: 2,992
Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyDraco
I'm always making Jellies or Jams... Plus freezing Berries for pies..

We will have to do some kind of a camp a roo at the farm someday...
Sounds like a deal.

I'll bring the fresh baked bread!
SRMN8R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2009, 07:38 AM   #80
LadyDraco
KillerSmileIHazIt !!

Oddometer: 28,088
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ogribike
Good news, work called and I may leave soon.

Better news, I don't think I will be grabbing back this week, planning to ride around Lake Michigan for a few days.

Still can't go after the North America tag, I won't get my passport back until next Friday at the soonest.

But I will be riding through Ohio, hmmmmm.
Cool... Have a safe fun filled trip ...

Check it from time to time as I'm always adding to it..
My Rides and life on the Farm
LadyDraco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2009, 02:14 PM   #81
HBN
is car free

Oddometer: 11,942
Fox, tag's in your backyard yaherd!
HBurgNinja - The Thread | HBN Boondocking the Nation | Beards to Canada
HBN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2009, 05:37 PM   #82
Retro
Just the Facts Ma'am

Oddometer: 33,615
72 Hour Rule

I am asking what the group thinks about the 72 hour rule.

It was initially established in case people had some kind of emergency, there was inclement weather, or there was some unavoidable family issue.

But, I've received hundreds of PMs since starting this game, and many of them have to do with the 72 hour rule, and how much the game slows down.

The current standard is that a player is expected to post up a new tag asap. But that means different things to different people.

So, what do you guys think?

Quis custodiet ipros custodes?
Retro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2009, 05:49 PM   #83
Boon Booni
Red Clay Halo

Oddometer: 13,318
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retro

It was initially established in case people had some kind of emergency, there was inclement weather, or there was some unavoidable family issue.

But, I've received hundreds of PMs since starting this game, and many of them have to do with the 72 hour rule, and how much the game slows down.

The current standard is that a player is expected to post up a new tag asap. But that means different things to different people.

I think it's just a game. As long as someone's not sand bagging, I don't care how long it takes for the next tag. I vote for quality not quantity....

If there's no tag available, and you want to ride, go ride. If the lack of an active tag is holding someone back from riding, just PM me your starting location and I'll work up a destination and a route for you to take.
Where the fuck is the road?
Boon Booni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2009, 05:55 PM   #84
MAN OF BLUES
COG #5977 EX-TECH EDITOR

Oddometer: 3,221
Thumb

Quote:

I have no problem with the 72 hour thing, and some of us have had to use it before, but when we are in nice weather, and COMMIT to a grab, I feel there is a responsibilty to make an attempt ASAP and not use the 72hr as a crutch to get "that perfect shot", or even "to get somewheres far away to appease personal sense of glory"...making the game drag selfishly.
It's always fun to see it move a bit, but keeping it rolling is more fun. Hoarding it when you travel 50 miles on your return trip, knowing you ain't gonna get out for 3 days, is kind of a buzz kill....especially when you pass tons of stuff en-route of your return. Not to mention best laid plans can fall thru at the drop of a cloudburst, putting the tag holder in the poopie-pile..

But then I only have a couple grabs so who am I to say....hey....wait, dammit I say tag fast and furious.....heheheheheheh

ymmv.
you da boss....
MAN OF BLUES is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2009, 05:56 PM   #85
daGeeeze
Geeezed lightning

Oddometer: 1,999
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gramps
If the lack of an active tag is holding someone back from riding, just PM me your starting location and I'll work up a destination and a route for you to take.
Just be careful where you go. I didn't see any tags I wanted to chase yesterday so I headed off to a decent sized BMW dealership. The incredibly lame one near me hasn't had any new BMWs on the showroom floor in my last 4 trips there. Off I went to Nashville. The dealer there had the first F800GS I had seen in person. Man was that a mistake. Luckily I had the presence of mind to not test ride it.
Old 08-14-2009, 05:59 PM   #86
Retro
Just the Facts Ma'am

Quote:
Originally Posted by daGeeeze
Just be careful where you go. I didn't see any tags I wanted to chase yesterday so I headed off to a decent sized BMW dealership. The incredibly lame one near me hasn't had any new BMWs on the showroom floor in my last 4 trips there. Off I went to Nashville. The dealer there had the first F800GS I had seen in person. Man was that a mistake. Luckily I had the presence of mind to not test ride it.
Is that Destination BMW?

If so, I don't know how they stay in business. I was there at BYOB. They hardly had any bikes in the place. The MOA national was at their back door and I didn't see them anywhere around.

Old 08-14-2009, 06:04 PM   #87
screamin injin
FUBAR

Oddometer: 2,516
I haven't had the tag in a while and had to use the 72 hour rule before, but it does seem a little long. We use 36 hours in the HR tag game.
screamin injin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2009, 06:07 PM   #88
daGeeeze
Geeezed lightning

Oddometer: 1,999
Quote:
Is that Destination BMW?

If so, I don't know how they stay in business. I was there at BYOB. They hardly had any bikes in the place. The MOA national was at their back door and I didn't see them anywhere around.
The place did change hands recently and 3 of my trips there were with the new owners. It can take a little while to get set up with BMW to get your bikes. However that shouldn't affect your service department which also sucks. Yeah, them skipping the MOA event completely is also lame but then again maybe they still don't have any bikes they could have shown.
Old 08-14-2009, 06:31 PM   #89
Retro
Just the Facts Ma'am

Quote:
Originally Posted by screamin injin
I haven't had the tag in a while and had to use the 72 hour rule before, but it does seem a little long. We use 36 hours in the HR tag game.
I like the idea of 36 hours.

You could pick it up in the morning, and you have until the following evening to post up.

Old 08-14-2009, 06:34 PM   #90
vatrader01
vatrader01

Oddometer: 1,164
Quote:

Here, I think this was covered a while back:
[QUOTE]
Quote:

There is a misperception that players have 3 days to post a new tag. That is only for times of severe weather, mechanical problems, health/family issues. And even then, you lose it after 72 hours. The spirit of the game is to post it up right away. I don't think I've ever let the game fall into a waititng situation for longer than it takes me to post up the old tag and ride to the new one. I don't expect that from everyone, and sooner or later I'll probably let one sit overnight too.

Thank you for your support.
And it was addressed here:
This is pretty fair and covers the issue well.
Quoted from post 111, by Retro:
Quote:
The new tag should be posted asap. Nobody gets to play until the new tag is posted.

Under certain circumstances, hurricane, blizzard, shit happens, a delay is inevitable. And I agree with you on a 3 day absolute maximum, but please make sure the delay is unavoidable.

The game is about riding. If you don't have much time in the days after you get a tag, well too bad. It's a game of tag. The game doesn't stop because your schedule is full. Find something down the street and pass the privilege on. Other people want to ride and play.

Most of us have jobs, so we've all got our limitations.

As the game goes on, it's likely that it will take several days for some tags to be found. If it's a week or more between tags with lots of folks taking the maximum time, the game gets boring.

If you've got a really great place in mind, but you can't get there until Saturday, and it's only Tuesday, too bad. Get it back again and go for that awesome place later.

______

Things happen, plans change, etc. It ain't worth hard feelings over. All I'm hearing is a simple request to keep the game moving in a timely manner. As the game grows, and folks come and go we will need to re-affirm the guidlines. It's like taking on new players at the weekly poker game. The new guy best understand how the game is played BEFORE he sets in on a hand. Or have a low deductible on his medical coverage. Luckily things don't get that crazy here yet. It does take us back to:
Rule #1. If you're new, watch how the game is played for awhile before jumpin' in cause I ain't explainin' everything to ya'
If we were all in tune with Rule #1, we wouldn't be having this conversation.
Keep it simple. see Rule # 1.

West Virginia Tag-O-Rama Map
vatrader01 is offline   Reply With Quote