ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Southeast, The Lair of the Dragon - The Blue Ridge and Smoky Mountains
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-14-2009, 05:44 PM   #91
Bowtie76
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 315
WOW it seems like the 72 hour rule has worked for over a year and 367 pages of tags. For a game that started with 2 rules this sure is getting complicated quickly.

72 hours allows someone to go get a tag one day, then they have two days to get the next posted, so if something comes up the next day they still have a chance.

I guess I thought this game was about the ride. I bet a lot of people would have a great time riding to the end of my driveway.

I don't know, but I remember as a kid it was bad mo-jo to change the rules in the middle of a game.

I guess I never NEEDED A TAG TO GO FOR A RIDE.
Bowtie76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2009, 05:54 PM   #92
HBN
is car free

Oddometer: 11,919
I strive for Valley Tag and Grab style - Zero hour turn around (and 5 mile tag moves )

Something would be seriously wrong with the VA Tag if folks didn't give Retro opportunities to
HBurgNinja - The Thread | HBN Boondocking the Nation | Beards to Canada
HBN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2009, 06:47 PM   #93
Boon Booni
Red Clay Halo

Oddometer: 12,856
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bowtie76
I guess I never NEEDED A TAG TO GO FOR A RIDE.
I agree with you here. There have been posts in the past where when a tag wasn't placed a poster would act like their entire free saturday was ruined because there was no tag to go get.

I don't think the game is broke, so it doesn't need fixing.

You can be Han Solo, and I can be another Han Solo...
Boon Booni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2009, 06:54 PM   #94
HBN
is car free

I do agree with the "responsibility" to place a new one though. Its all about having a good time!
Old 08-14-2009, 07:02 PM   #95
Retro
Just the Facts Ma'am

Oddometer: 33,051
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gramps
I agree with you here. There have been posts in the past where when a tag wasn't placed a poster would act like their entire free saturday was ruined because there was no tag to go get.

I don't think the game is broke, so it doesn't need fixing.
The number of PMs I receive indicates that a number of players would like a change made to the 72 hour idea. ASAP has always been the standard, but too many people latch onto the 72 hour thing and think that's the rule.

consider the other perspective to they guy who thinks his Saturday is ruined. Certainly he could get on his bike and go for a ride, but he wants to play the game. Isn't the the guy who doesn't post up a tag asap?

This sort of blew up much more than I thought it would, but it's probably the only issue that people really disagree about.

Quis custodiet ipros custodes?
Retro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2009, 07:11 PM   #96
Boon Booni
Red Clay Halo

Oddometer: 12,856
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retro
Certainly he could get on his bike and go for a ride, but he wants to play the game. Isn't the the guy who doesn't post up a tag asap?
I guess I don't see people sand bagging. I know there have been sand baggers in the past, people who were intent on "giving" a tag to someone else, but I don't see that now.

As for people wanting to play the game I didn't realize you were getting so many PM's. I like the slower pace of the VA game. I think the tag quality is generally good. Look at some of the faster paced local games and some of the places that get tagged. I don't want to be tagging someone's driveway.

I look at the game as a way to find out of the way places that I'd probably not find on my own. There have been many of them, I hate to see that stop so that we can have faster turn around.

You can be Han Solo, and I can be another Han Solo...
Boon Booni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2009, 07:25 PM   #97
Retro
Just the Facts Ma'am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gramps
I guess I don't see people sand bagging. I know there have been sand baggers in the past, people who were intent on "giving" a tag to someone else, but I don't see that now.

As for people wanting to play the game I didn't realize you were getting so many PM's. I like the slower pace of the VA game. I think the tag quality is generally good. Look at some of the faster paced local games and some of the places that get tagged. I don't want to be tagging someone's driveway.

I look at the game as a way to find out of the way places that I'd probably not find on my own. There have been many of them, I hate to see that stop so that we can have faster turn around.
That is the crucial question. There has been little sandbagging, and I also like the more laid back pace of the VA game. I've worked hard to foster the slower pace.

This seems to really revolve around those who want quicker turnaround and those who like the idea of very specific tags that are meaningful, but might take a couple of days to make happen.

The ASAP idea works well 90% of the time, and it might be best to just leave well enough alone. But I want people to air their opinions on this.

Old 08-15-2009, 04:03 AM   #98
mikeinrichmond
Farkleus Maximus

Oddometer: 2,773
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retro
...This seems to really revolve around those who want quicker turnaround and those who like the idea of very specific tags that are meaningful, but might take a couple of days to make happen....
I'd vote for the slower pace, high quality tags. If some folks want fast-paced quantity tags, there are plenty of local games that cater to just that. Sometimes you need just that bit of extra time to have the opportunity to put some miles on placing a new tag, instead of tagging whatever happens to be just down the street...
Old 08-15-2009, 04:28 AM   #99
daGeeeze
Geeezed lightning

Oddometer: 1,877
Personally I keep a few file tags hanging around. That way if I can't get out within 24 hours to post up a new tag I can use one. I had to use a photo for the Appalachian tag that came from just one of my ride reports. Some of the tag games only give you 24 hours then it falls to either the first bruced or the next person who can snag the last tag.

Pat aka Geeeze
daGeeeze is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2009, 05:18 AM   #100
HBN
is car free

NO FILE PHOTOS IN VA TAG
Old 08-15-2009, 05:41 AM   #101
Retro
Just the Facts Ma'am

Quote:
Originally Posted by daGeeeze
Personally I keep a few file tags hanging around. That way if I can't get out within 24 hours to post up a new tag I can use one. I had to use a photo for the Appalachian tag that came from just one of my ride reports. Some of the tag games only give you 24 hours then it falls to either the first bruced or the next person who can snag the last tag.
That's a good point. We don't allow file photos for this game, and perhaps that's a good reason to leave things as they are.

What about moving the 72 hours to 48?

Meaning, that players are still expected to post a new tag asap, but if 48 hours passes after the tag is grabbed, it goes live again, then someone else can grab it?

Old 08-15-2009, 06:07 AM   #102
FOXedupONE OP
Momafox can I ride?

Oddometer: 2,546
Has 48 hours even passed yet since BT's tag grab? And I know he doesn't intend to go over that since he's out right now finding a new tag. I had to work today so couldn't tag along...haha!tag a long for the tag placement.

Anyway rarely does anyone ever take the full 72 hours. But who knows in the dead of winter we might still want that option to wait for a day that's a nice 42 degree riding day that's not sleeting or whatever.

But we also don't need to jump down people's throats after 12 hours of no new tag, acting like hyperactive kids that need instant gratification all the time...that kind of behavior just leads to crack addiction.

Tagers anonymous anyone??
FOXedupONE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2009, 06:39 AM   #103
screamin injin
FUBAR

Oddometer: 2,505
Hello...... my name is Injin and I'm a recovering Tag-o-holic. It's been 20mins since my last tag and I'm jonesing for a new one.

Not intended to offend, just funny
screamin injin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2009, 06:40 AM   #104
HBN
is car free

Quote:
Taggers anonymous
Hello group. My name is HBN and my last tag was 15 hours ago I'm already going through withdrawls; coming up with location clues in my sleep, adding up route numbers, clearing/charging my camera. My family agrees I need help. I need help!

Group: "Welcome HBN...we know what you are going through"
Old 08-15-2009, 06:42 AM   #105
screamin injin
FUBAR

Oddometer: 2,505
[quote=HBurgNinja]Hello group. My name is HBN and my last tag was 15 ...........

Excellent!
screamin injin is offline   Reply With Quote