Bueller OP
Cashin?

Oddometer: 17,176
Byob '10 - June 11, 2010 - at the Oxyoke in Galeton, PA - a Farm Rules Rally

UPDATE AS OF OCTOBER 9, 2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by mutineer
Talked to Gregg tonight

I guess we will run lead on this for now. Think of it as a benevolent dictatorship. We welcome your opinion, but Gregg and I hold veto power on everything, life is so much simpler that way (we'll probably check with Driffy a lot for advice, but don't tell him).

The committee met, a quorum was present a vote taken and these are the results.

BYOB 2010 is being held in Galeton unless we get hell and high water

We will work with the Oxyoke to confirm dates and post info

The next BYOB will be more like the first in spirit and execution

BYOB 2010 will be run under Farm Rules.

no fucking bands, no fucking porta potties, no scheduled rides, no maps handed out, and if you want it there, you better bring it there.

This is about hanging with your moto buddies and riding motorcycles then telling lies back in camp at days end. If that ain't enough stay home, because you won't have any fun. This is a meeting of self reliant ADV types, no matter what they ride in on.

Oxyoke has plenty of rooms and camping. Call them directly and make your own arrangements when dates are identified.

You are responsible for your own good time and safety.

This is a low to no services rally. You are getting is notice on where about 75 to 100 of your buddies might meet up and when. No one assumes responsibility for anyone else.

Don't have your own bike insurance, stay the fuck home.

Like everything else if you didn't bring it then it won't be there. That includes food, tools, first aid and insurance. There is always plenty of helping hands around, but be ready to handle your own business. This is not a sanctioned event of any kind, it is an informal gathering of friends.

If you guys want a group meal, then someone else needs to volunteer to set it up. Greg already pulled duty on that once before and he paid his dues. Me, well, I just ain't gonna do it. Anyone wants to step up and set up the meal say so here in the thread.

If someone does set up the meal then people who eat prepay the man, and there are NO REFUNDS for any reason whatsoever. If you paid for a meal and can't make the rally tough shit.

If anyone wants to step and handle Tshirts let me know, because I am not doing that either. Tshirts will also be prepaid with no refunds and no one is mailing you your shirt. You want it then show up at BYOB.

I will deal with the stickers if someone will do the design stuff. If someone else does not do the design stuff, there will be no stickers.

The cost to attend BYOB is the same as it ever was, show the hell up and have some fun.

The Oxyoke Inn Website is here

Approximate GPS Coordinates for 29 U.S. 6, Galeton, PA 16922, USA

Coordinates:

In a couple of weeks I will close the poll and post the dates. Majority does not necessarily win.

After that I'll change the poll to an In/Out poll on who is going. I'll make it public so we can cut and paste the names into the thread later.

gratuities to your organizers can be paid in full barrels of 25 year old whiskey and dancing girls of a similar vintage.
IN LIST

Augie_Dogie, beantop, Bueller, cruceno, Dave2, deerslayR, DirtyBones, ducky950, eddie bolted, evildave, Fauster, Flier, frugal, gelandestrasse, Goon, gsweave, Hog Rider, HWSNBN, JaxObsessed, Jeff B, JimStrom, Kathy R, knybanjo, monkeyfez, Motorcyclist, Mr. Ray, MRHAPPY, mutineer, OleGrumpy, PhilSpace and spacewife, PrtclMn001, R1100RICK, Rick G, roadhousecharley, RPD1, sallydog, SlipChip, SpencerCompton, Thisguy, Trailing Jack, v4rider, xtphreak

ORIGINAL POST BELOW
Well, someone had to start it.

When? Where?

My vote - that place we were looking at in Tellico.

If so, earlier June is probably better than later June. If the venue moves farther north, later June is probably better.

Chris - sorry you couldn't make it. I hope your wife is getting better. Are you passing the torch or do you want to take on next year's event?

Regardless of who does this before you make a suggestion of venue you should consider whether or not it meets the following criteria:

1) Adequate bathroom and shower facilities to handle approximately 100 extra tent dwellers for the weekend (in addition to their normal business).

2) Cabins/hotel rooms on site or at least very close by capable of accommodating about 30% of the attendees. This can translate into 30 - 60 people wanting to stay in a hotel room or cabin.

3) Many miles of trails/dirt/gravel/off pavement riding close by.

4) Lots of twisty pavement and interesting places to visit on a day ride.

5) Alcohol.

6) Historic decent weather for the date chosen. For example I wouldn't recommend choosing the Louisiana coast and expect most people to be anything less than miserably hot Having said that, though I was involved in last year's BYOB planning and the hills of S.E. Ohio are my home turf I cautioned everyone about the propensity for lots of rain and unpredictable weather carrying into early June in this area. The decision was made to go ahead with it anyway. We got lucky.

7) Ideally the combination of camping and rooms should be centrally located. Galeton is probably the best example of this. Admittedly it is difficult to find a place that proivides all of this, but the closer we come to meeting these guidelines the better the event promises to be.

So there it is. Suggestions?

"bueller, you ARE an island of reason in a sea of bullshit" - quasigentrified

mutineer screwed with this post 01-13-2010 at 10:59 PM
Bueller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2009, 03:50 PM   #2
HappyRiding
Grumpy

Oddometer: 3,185
I like Tellico Plains. Boojum! had his Fall Old School Rally at the Cherohala M/C Resort last year. It seemed pretty nice to me but it is currently for sale and only has four showers and potties. It has a big gazebo and a small restaurant.

http://www.cycleresort.com/
Old 07-02-2009, 07:11 PM   #3
Mtn.Bound
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 276
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyRiding
I like Tellico Plains. Boojum! had his Fall Old School Rally at the Cherohala M/C Resort last year. It seemed pretty nice to me but it is currently for sale and only has four showers and potties. It has a big gazebo and a small restaurant.

http://www.cycleresort.com/
seems like a nice place but not many cabins (7) and they only occupy 2 each so of about 100 people 14 get to sleep in a cabin I tented BYOB but I know that cabins were in demand
just my 2 cents
Mtn.Bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2009, 08:03 PM   #4
KLboxeR
Back in the game again

Oddometer: 3,650
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bueller

Chris - sorry you couldn't make it. I hope your wife is getting better. Are you passing the torch or do you want to take on next year's event?
I really only jumped in because it seemed like the event was headed for the dustbin for '09. I'm happy with being the interim guy and letting someone else take it this year.

Some suggestions:

Bring it north again. In trying to avoid conflict and overlap with the ER, locations became pretty limited as did the time slots. Rick's already got a good, major event that covers that area. Try and jam another in and one or the other is going to suffer.

Eyes on site are an obvious need that I dropped the ball on. Despite assurances and best intentions, there's no substitute for someone who understands the scope and needs of the event getting out there. I intended to do this early on, while changes could still be made, but I flipped my knee over backwards in Feb and that injury/surgery/rehab prevented any sort of travel. Who ever takes the event should understand that it'll be difficult to get others to check out the site and if they do, their perspective may not take all the issues into account. They will have to go to the candidate sites themselves.

If Bob (Mtn Bound), Rick (R1100Rick) and Dan (GSweave) wish to be involved in next year's event, by all means, get them on board. Top shelf people that get the job done.

If I think of anything else, I'll pipe up.

Edit: Wife is getting better, slow but sure. Thanks for asking

KLboxeR screwed with this post 07-02-2009 at 08:27 PM
KLboxeR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2009, 09:08 PM   #5
Drif10
Accredited Jackass

Oddometer: 46,022
I scouted Hunt's Lodge in Tellico Plains, it would be a good spot.

Looking back, the best place we held this was the Ox Yoke in PA. Had everything we needed, all in one spot, owners are riders, they catered it for a very reasonable price, even a bar.

I know we like to move this one around, but perhaps it's worth considering going back. Last year and this we didn't make out so well, plus this would be far enough from Rick's bash to catch a bunch of other folks with limited time off.
Old 07-02-2009, 09:10 PM   #6
Bueller OP
Cashin?

Quote:
Originally Posted by KLboxeR
I really only jumped in because it seemed like the event was headed for the dustbin for '09. I'm happy with being the interim guy and letting someone else take it this year.

Some suggestions:

Bring it north again. In trying to avoid conflict and overlap with the ER, locations became pretty limited as did the time slots. Rick's already got a good, major event that covers that area. Try and jam another in and one or the other is going to suffer.

Eyes on site are an obvious need that I dropped the ball on. Despite assurances and best intentions, there's no substitute for someone who understands the scope and needs of the event getting out there. I intended to do this early on, while changes could still be made, but I flipped my knee over backwards in Feb and that injury/surgery/rehab prevented any sort of travel. Who ever takes the event should understand that it'll be difficult to get others to check out the site and if they do, their perspective may not take all the issues into account. They will have to go to the candidate sites themselves.

If Bob (Mtn Bound), Rick (R1100Rick) and Dan (GSweave) wish to be involved in next year's event, by all means, get them on board. Top shelf people that get the job done.

If I think of anything else, I'll pipe up.

Edit: Wife is getting better, slow but sure. Thanks for asking
I sent you a PM, but I think the point is good for public consumption too. I appreciate your efforts. I didn't want to or have the means to take any of it on again this year. Drif - who carried it for a long time - coudn't do it either. It takes work, and anyone who hasn't done it probably doesn't understand how much. I don't know what attendance was this year, but I know it is typically a lot more work to accommodate this crowd than it used to be in the early years. Yea, it's called BYOB and the original idea was to just show up with whatever, but those days are over. For example, last year's event had close to 200 in attendance with somewhere around 100 to feed on Saturday night. It ain't easy putting it all together, and considering your ass is on the line when anything goes wrong the pay sucks pretty bad I gave up lots of personal time in advance of the event doing scouting, meeting with potential caterers, doing damage control when the campground manager stumbled across the thread on Advrider and saw some comments that worried her and gave up a decent portion of my weekend to get the dinner to the campground and give everything back the next day. The money had to be managed, accounted for, and the remainder donated to a charity after the event. There are a hundred other little things that happen to make the event work. In my opinion anyone who feels like complaining about the outcome is entitled to a refund of all of the money they paid you

To that end, I hope that anyone who bitches about anything from this last weekend isn't directing it at you. Don't be so hard on yourself, most of us had a great time. That's what it's all about.

Old 07-02-2009, 09:11 PM   #7
Bueller OP
Cashin?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drif10
I scouted Hunt's Lodge in Tellico Plains, it would be a good spot.

Looking back, the best place we held this was the Ox Yoke in PA. Had everything we needed, all in one spot, owners are riders, they catered it for a very reasonable price, even a bar.

I know we like to move this one around, but perhaps it's worth considering going back. Last year and this we didn't make out so well, plus this would be far enough from Rick's bash to catch a bunch of other folks with limited time off.
Only if you promise to show up this time, you friggin' blohard.

Old 07-02-2009, 09:19 PM   #8
Drif10
Accredited Jackass

Oddometer: 46,022
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bueller
Only if you promise to show up this time, you friggin' blohard.
Talk to the hand, barge pilot.

And my cardiologist.
Old 07-02-2009, 09:33 PM   #9
Bueller OP
Cashin?

Quote:
Talk to the hand, barge pilot.

And my cardiologist.
All you had to do was get down here. My Dad would have kept you in great shape. He's OB/GYN

Old 07-02-2009, 10:24 PM   #10
knybanjo
kinda slow

Oddometer: 23,530
Already planning a year in advance?!?

You guy rock!!

I'm still trying to figure out what to do for the 4th of July...tomorrow.
Old 07-03-2009, 10:13 AM   #11
Johnny West
Mitzi - "tire-hugger"

Oddometer: 431
Everyone seemed to like Boyer Station, WV in 05

Also, I'm friends w/ the owners of this place located near Cambridge, Ohio:
http://www.timberlinecabinsohio.com/

They have 3 big cabins, and 4 cottages [located along the treeline to lower left in the pic.] that can house 52 people.
A large area to camp in the middle and behind the cabins in the pic above.
It borders Salt Fork Lake/State park, which has a lodge and restaurant.
I went to a party there, and they had a guy come in and prepare a meal.

I'd be willing to help organize, if this place was chosen....
"When my mood gets too hot and I find myself wandering beyond control I pull out my motor-bike and hurl it top-speed through these unfit roads for hour after hour. My nerves are jaded and gone near dead, so that nothing less then hours of voluntary danger will prick them into life..."
T.E. Lawrence
--In Memory of the Party Boss--
Johnny West is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2009, 12:52 PM   #12
SlipChip
Adventure Commuter

Oddometer: 3,301
Quote:

+1 Galeton Rocks!

“Discoveries are often made by not following instructions, by going off the main road, by trying the untried.” - Frank Tyger

"Life begins at the end of your comfort zone." - Neale Donald Walsch
SlipChip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2009, 05:37 AM   #13
gsweave
Yinz, blinkers are on.

Oddometer: 11,318
Alrighty then,

Chris, i think this will be your baby for "10" since you missed out, this year

I couldn't make Galeton, but highly recommended it since it is a great location. and my future retirement spot.
I do however like the travelling location theme. 4-5 years from now may be better for a "return too"

Two other spots that will work, are:

Yokums in WVA

Blue Ridge motorcylcle campground in Caruso NC.

they were high on the list for 09 and are perfect contenders.

John, Cambridge should be on that short list as well.
It looks like a great spot.

Somewhere in NY would be nice, can anyone find a place?
Va, in or near the GW would also also be great.

I am best as a behind the scene helper so... I am ready to serve whoever takes on the task.

BYOB 10 "Just bring it".
1Paul 2:15
For it is God's will that by doing good you should silence the ignorant talk of foolish men. 16 Live as free men, but do not use your freedom as a cover-up for evil;... .

gsweave screwed with this post 07-04-2009 at 05:46 AM
gsweave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2009, 08:53 AM   #14
LadyDraco
KillerSmileIHazIt !!

Oddometer: 28,069
We stayed at Blue Ridge way back when....
I think it has changed hands now ... The bath house was dirty & nasty.....
But that was back in the mid 90's....

Check it from time to time as I'm always adding to it..
My Rides and life on the Farm
LadyDraco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2009, 11:08 AM   #15
Augie_Dogie
Ride More; Post Less

Oddometer: 878
Quote:
Originally Posted by gsweave
Yokums in WVA
Yokums

Stopped there on the way down.

It looked like a nice setup.....very comparable to Galeton.

Quote:
Somewhere in NY would be nice, can anyone find a place?
Va, in or near the GW would also also be great.
On it boss....I'll see what my PEEPs gotz.

Quote:
I am best as a behind the scene helper so... I am ready to serve whoever takes on the task.
Ditto

A_D

PS ...Hey Steve--- If ya'all read this...Next time you have a group this big...spring for portajons.
Augie_Dogie is offline   Reply With Quote