Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-30-2010, 05:15 PM   #1
Bl4ckB34rd OP
n00b

Oddometer: 6
New Rider - Bike Suggestions

Hello all!

So I am new to this forum and completely new to adventure riding. I talked to a good family friend and he mentioned this site. He told me that I could gather a lot of good information here, which I already have, but being a n00b to all of this I have some questions. I am now in the process of searching for a motorcycle. I have researched the F800gs and the 1200gs, but I am in need of some other suggestions. I am going to try and buy one used, but I am wondering what should I be looking for in a bike? I'm 6'2" and around 180 lbs so I'm looking for something to fit me comfortably. Most of the time I'll be using it to get to work and school, but I am definitely looking into going on some long trips.

If you all could help me out that would be awesome, any and all information will be appreciated
Thanks!
Bl4ckB34rd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2010, 04:49 AM   #2
DrLewall
The Human GPS

Oddometer: 30,883
Start small!!!! By small, I mean 500cc or less..unless you have a death wish, then go with them thar BIG bmw's!

get lottsa practice on a smaller bike..remember, this is something that WILL KILL YOU if you screw up! Last thing you need is a machine that will launch you into Heaven quicker!
DrLewall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2010, 06:53 AM   #3
JaxObsessed
RushMoran....... :D

Oddometer: 10,796
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrLewall
Start small!!!! By small, I mean 500cc or less..unless you have a death wish, then go with them thar BIG bmw's!

get lottsa practice on a smaller bike..remember, this is something that WILL KILL YOU if you screw up! Last thing you need is a machine that will launch you into Heaven quicker!
+1 You might even want to start with a KLX or WR 250 You will be surprised how easy you can get into trouble with even the small bikes.
Good luck, have fun, but just like when you are up a 40' ladder NEVER FORGET WHERE YOU ARE>

Jax' mediocre photo thread.
JaxObsessed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2010, 07:14 AM   #4
jtice
Adventurer

Oddometer: 71
I am a new rider, and in the same boat as you.
I was looking into the Suzuki V-Strom at first, and sure the BMWs are awesome as well.
But I have decided that for my first bike, they are just too large, and too heavy. The power isnt all that much of a problem, as long as you have a head on your shoulders. But handling the larger heavier bike as your first bike will be a handful.
I have decided to get a KLX250s. It sounds like an amazing bike for its size, and it FIT me when I sat on it.
I have sat on some of the others, and while I like them, they were just a bit larger than I wanted to wrestle for my first bike.
Your first bike should be easy to handle and fun, making it easier to learn on.
~John
jtice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2010, 09:34 AM   #5
Wreckchecker
Ungeneer to broked stuff.

Oddometer: 2,299
Before ANYTHING, take the motorcycle safety course, as the instructors see guys like you and answer the same questions on a weekly basis. They'll also open your eyes to what you need to know on the street and give you a better chance of staying unhurt.

You're smart to ask and smarter to buy used first. Generally, I'd go with the others and suggest starting small. However, my son's a tall guy like you and just didn't fit the smaller bikes. Kinda looked like Jesus on a little burro and I'm guessing a stringbean like you would be all knees sticking out in the wind too.

It's not really small physical size that you want to avoid, it's the big bike weight, acceleration, and cost for the inevitable drops. I'm not sure you'd want to price insurance as a noobie on a R1200GS. Stay away from the cool looking plastic fairings and Ricky Racer bikes of any size at this point, too.

Since Tim's about your size, I'll relate that for him a 1990 KLR650 fit well and he rode it for most of a year. At only 36(?) hp from a single cylinder, the 1987-2007 KLRs are not going to threaten anybody, but they can get you tickets well above highway speeds if you're brave/stupid enough. The bars are wide for you to have good leverage and the thing will go nearly anywhere, especially in Florida. Plus, it's been dirt cheap to buy, fix, and insure.

You can look on Craigslist for KLR prices in your area and used gear. Buy a helmet (buy it new. Get reviews at http://www.webbikeworld.com/motorcyc...e-helmets.htm), plus get a good jacket and some pants that'll keep your skin on your legs. You have a lot of sand on those Florida roads and sooner or later will be sliding along on your butt & forearms. An example of protective pants for abrasion: http://www.dragginjeans.com Don't be a squid with tennis shoes that'll shred.

Keep your head turning and have fun!!!

Wreckchecker screwed with this post 11-01-2010 at 09:47 AM
Wreckchecker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2010, 10:58 AM   #6
alberta bob
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 222
I agree with WC with your size and being a noob klr is the way to go cheap when you drop it you won't cry as loud as if you dropped a gs 1200 and you will drop it . second rider training from a good school third look up the meaning of AGATT on this site . fourth enjoy the world of motercycles and if your not happy with the klr trade up and it won't have cost u lots of $ to find out if your ment to be an adv rider .

Sabre
"The point is, you can survive. I did, and I'm no superhero. I'm just a man, full of faults and poison and sadness and hatred, full of joy and fears and pain and happiness, full of love for my fellow man and my kids and unfortunately not enough for myself, but I'm learning."
alberta bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2010, 07:55 PM   #7
DirtDabber
cultural illiterate

Oddometer: 7,649
If he is your friend and he sent you here......

I agree with the others. Take the MSF course. buy something used light and cheap. See if it sticks. Then look for a bike.

I wonder where that road goes?
DirtDabber is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2010, 10:14 PM   #8
cu260r6
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 346
If you start with a 200cc bike you'll be so bored after a month you'll be looking for something else. Take a look at the Suzuki SV650. It's a fantastic beginning bike, crashes well if you tip over, and it has enough performance you'll be satisfied with it for awhile.
cu260r6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2010, 12:21 PM   #9
madjak30
Adventurer

Question Good advice for a new rider, but...

What about someone who has put on 10,000kms and is looking to get into adventure riding?

I am thinking either the V-Strom DL650 or the DL1000...most of my riding will still be on paved roads...commuting, touring, etc...but I would like to be able to continue exploring when the pavement ends (I tried this on my GS500 and the results were okay if I was taking it easy, but I tried to pull a 180 that ended in a 270 high side...oops...street tires not great in dirt/gravel)...I think the 650cc would be good, but I'm 5'11 and weigh in at 275lbs...

What do you think?

Riding since May 2010
2006 Yamaha MT-01
2003 Suzuki GS500 (SOLD)
madjak30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2010, 12:28 PM   #10
Tosh Togo
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,594
Quote:
Originally Posted by madjak30
What about someone who has put on 10,000kms and is looking to get into adventure riding?

I am thinking either the V-Strom DL650 or the DL1000...most of my riding will still be on paved roads...commuting, touring, etc...but I would like to be able to continue exploring when the pavement ends (I tried this on my GS500 and the results were okay if I was taking it easy, but I tried to pull a 180 that ended in a 270 high side...oops...street tires not great in dirt/gravel)...I think the 650cc would be good, but I'm 5'11 and weigh in at 275lbs...

What do you think?

You'll need a suspension upgrade, regardless of the bike.
Tosh Togo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2010, 01:17 PM   #11
ikonoklass
Kountersteering Krew

Oddometer: 2,601
A nice, used F650 of Funduro vintage would also be a fine choice, methinks.
ikonoklass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2010, 10:12 PM   #12
madjak30
Adventurer

Eh?

I went through some of the pics on the site...there are some people doing some adventure riding on some very street oriented bikes...maybe just keeping what I have isn't a bad plan.

Riding since May 2010
2006 Yamaha MT-01
2003 Suzuki GS500 (SOLD)
madjak30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2010, 01:05 AM   #13
cu260r6
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 346
Since you're already pretty experienced the tires you use will make much, much more of a difference than the bike you chose. For example, I rode a KTM 640 Adventure (probably the most capable adv bike ever made) to South America, but I was really struggling in mud/sand with pirelli scorpion tires that were pretty street biased. A wee/v strom, a bmw 800gs, or even a versys will perform very well off road with good dirt tires. Of course they'll also eat them up on pavement...
cu260r6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2010, 10:43 AM   #14
TheMuffinMan
Forest Ranger Magnet

Oddometer: 5,128
My first bike was a V-Strom 650 and it was a perfect starter bike for me. It also has the advantage of being able to be kitted out with side cases and stuff for touring and doing longer distance trips.
Deep roots are not reached by the frost."
'12 690 Enduro // 690 Wiki
TheMuffinMan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2010, 05:18 PM   #15
Animo
Beastly n00b

Oddometer: 4,806
+ 1 ~~~ F650gs, great beginner bike, low center of gravity, small enough and powerful enough not to get bored 3 months later. 100% fun factor for beginners.

Yucatan | Chiapas | Belize 1 | Belize 2 | QRoo | Guanajuato
Animo is offline   Reply With Quote