IN - I am going to BYOB 93 83.04%
out - I am a fairy and staying home and though you should know 19 16.96%
Voters: 112. You may not vote on this poll

Old 07-05-2009, 11:03 AM   #31
Augie_Dogie
Ride More; Post Less

Oddometer: 878
Options gleaned from earlier search threads

Driffy's scouting trip - 10/2008 (Hunt's Lodge)

Augie_Dogie screwed with this post 07-05-2009 at 11:24 AM
Augie_Dogie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2009, 03:18 PM   #32
PARTY BOSS™
FORMERLY R1100RICK

Oddometer: 5,421
Quote:
Originally Posted by Augie_Dogie

Works for me
04'xt225 yamahammer
00' R0050RS Kinder Beemer SOLD

When my mood gets too hot and I find myself wandering beyond control I pull out my motor-bike and hurl it top-speed through these unfit roads for hour after hour. My nerves are jaded and gone near dead, so that nothing less then hours of voluntary danger will prick them into life..."

T.E. Lawrence
PARTY BOSS™ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2009, 03:34 PM   #33
gsweave
Yinz, blinkers are on.

Oddometer: 11,126
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cauldron
I liked that location. There were cabins and motel rooms and open camping. There was a creek out back and a camp fire. There was a restaurant and a bar within walking distance, and a beer store a couple blocks away.

But aside from all of that, the best part was the fact that everything was central. If you wanted to find someone, or their bike, everything was right there. Catching people for rides, dinner, visiting, or working on bikes was easy as no one was out of sight.

What I didn't like about the last two years, (No offense to anyone) was that there wasn't a central area to 'hang out'. No main pavilion, parking lot, Bonn fire, etc. You needed a phone book and a map to find anyone. Finding people is why I go to rallies. I can ride by myself at home.

I'm not saying have it in the same place twice, but The Ox Yoke was an ideal setup.

The things needed are:
Hotel rooms
Camping
Good roads

Anything else is frosting.

With ya on the central area theme. Its a must to have a pavillion at least as a central hang location

Being spread out over 140 acres just ain't the right thing.
Old 07-05-2009, 03:35 PM   #34
gsweave
Yinz, blinkers are on.

Quote:

Think Boojum has held an airhead event or two, there.

Might PM him.
Old 07-05-2009, 05:06 PM   #35
rambis
Ramblin' on

Oddometer: 4,019
This is just a suggestion that popped into my head, so take it FWIW. In 2003, I spent 6 and 1/2 months hiking the AT from GA>Maine. One thing I noticed in my travels was the many hostels and small towns that were set up for accommodating a few hundred people. I see that many of your suggestions are near the Appalachain region, and having hiked and ridden the Appalachian Mtns quite extensively, I feel pretty good that it offers what everyone is looking for.

Over the next few weeks, I'll look through my journal and pictures to see if any of these places would me worth mentioning. On my hike, I spent a few nights in the hostels. A few are set up in way that I believe is just what you are looking for. Obviously, the biggest thing will be finding a place where the we would be welcomed.

I will say that some of those places get just as rowdy as you like, which is fine as long as you do your small part afterwards. Some of them let me stay free of charge as long as I spent the next day (or half day) helping out there. You could just pay and be on your way, but it was often an option.

The reason that I mention this is because I've seen many common traits among this place/people that I've seen on the trail. The objectives(adventure, outdoors, fun, friends, getting dirty, etc) of the two are basically the same. It's just the means(motorcycle vs foot) that are different.

Where ever it is in 2010, I'll be there and will gladly help in any way I can. I would offer to host it on my property in extreme N GA, but I only have an old 5th wheel set up until I get my cabin finished, but it's got everything else.
rambis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2009, 06:29 PM   #36
KLboxeR
Back in the game again

Oddometer: 3,650
Quote:
Originally Posted by gsweave
Think Boojum has held an airhead event or two, there.

Might PM him.
The folks there were very nice when I spoke with them. They were very happy that we were interested in having the event there. IIRC there was availability issues that put it too close to the ER. It may be a good idea to contact them early.
Old 07-05-2009, 06:52 PM   #37
freaking RT
will golf for food

Oddometer: 30,516
Quote:

View
BYOB Locations in a larger map">
View BYOB Locations in a larger map
you had better check out your location on the BYOB 2004 It was in Hot Springs NC, Not SC
IBA#10787

“We, the people, are the rightful masters of both congress and the courts - not to overthrow the constitution, but to overthrow men who pervert the constitution.”
– Abraham Lincoln

"Fathom the odd hypocrisy that Obama wants every citizen to prove they are insured, but people don't have to prove they are citizens".
-Anonymous

WV VA Good Eats Map
freaking RT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2009, 07:02 PM   #38
freaking RT
will golf for food

Quote:
I liked that location. There were cabins and motel rooms and open camping. There was a creek out back and a camp fire. There was a restaurant and a bar within walking distance, and a beer store a couple blocks away.

But aside from all of that, the best part was the fact that everything was central. If you wanted to find someone, or their bike, everything was right there. Catching people for rides, dinner, visiting, or working on bikes was easy as no one was out of sight.

What I didn't like about the last two years, (No offense to anyone) was that there wasn't a central area to 'hang out'. No main pavilion, parking lot, Bonn fire, etc. You needed a phone book and a map to find anyone. Finding people is why I go to rallies. I can ride by myself at home.

I'm not saying have it in the same place twice, but The Ox Yoke was an ideal setup.

The things needed are:
Hotel rooms
Camping
Good roads

Anything else is frosting.
+1 That is what we should be looking for. and that'll stop the bitching (or we start a whiney bitch black ball list )

Boyer Station, WV was damn good too
IBA#10787

“We, the people, are the rightful masters of both congress and the courts - not to overthrow the constitution, but to overthrow men who pervert the constitution.”
– Abraham Lincoln

"Fathom the odd hypocrisy that Obama wants every citizen to prove they are insured, but people don't have to prove they are citizens".
-Anonymous

WV VA Good Eats Map
Old 07-05-2009, 07:55 PM   #39
Drif10
Accredited Jackass

Oddometer: 45,351
Quote:

The above is exactly why I suggest we go back there, or to Hunt's Lodge, plus the fact that the owners are riders, and that little detail makes more difference than anything else.
Old 07-06-2009, 07:44 AM   #40
freaking RT
will golf for food

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drif10
plus the fact that the owners are riders, and that little detail makes more difference than anything else.
damn right.

I took a glace at Station's Inn's website in NC. They cater to bikers. Owners ride; on sight hotel, restaurant and bar. I've stopped there a couple of times, great place. but no camping. oh well.

Yokums over at Senaca Rocks is spred out I guess we're looking at the same places all over again

I just checked out bikercamps.com and didn't see anything worth mentioning. Most of it's stuff is state parks.

if you are looking at Hunt's Lodge, why not check out http://www.blueridgemotorcyclecamp.com/ over in Cruso, NC .

my thing about that area is the many times we've been close and have ridden the roads. I'd like to go some place new and ride new roads But if push comes to shove, Galeton was the perfect fit for our needs. I didn't have the time to go to some places I wanted to see
IBA#10787

– Abraham Lincoln

-Anonymous

WV VA Good Eats Map
Old 07-06-2009, 07:59 AM   #41
Gypsy
YamaHo

Oddometer: 3,978
Quote:
Originally Posted by R1100RICK
Cruso ,Bad Idea . I almost got thrown out of there for "talking to loud" by the owner.
So I think going there is Out of the Question . They also have their own resturant which serves very mediocre food.
Sadly, I second this assessment. This place doesn't seem to be the same since changing hands a couple years ago.

fuck cancer. ride bikes.
Gypsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2009, 08:55 AM   #42
knybanjo
kinda slow

Oddometer: 22,968
Quote:
Originally Posted by freaking RT

if you are looking at Hunt's Lodge, why not check out http://www.blueridgemotorcyclecamp.com/ over in Cruso, NC .

Quote:
Originally Posted by R1100RICK
Cruso ,Bad Idea . I almost got thrown out of there for "talking to loud" by the owner.
So I think going there is Out of the Question . They also have their own resturant which serves very mediocre food.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gypsy
Sadly, I second this assessment. This place doesn't seem to be the same since changing hands a couple years ago.
klrworld holds thier TDP rally there in Sept and have been looking into moving it also....must be something to it.
Old 07-06-2009, 02:43 PM   #43
gsweave
Yinz, blinkers are on.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gypsy

I will accept yours and Rick's assessment on the place.

I stayed there a couple of years back but was with a small group mid week.
We were a quiet group early in the season.

There is a small campground just outside of Boone, rt 321 I think, just can't find the name. *shuffle shuffle*

Has to be a campground off of Rt 58 in Virginny. Passing that way next week I will take notes for a change.
Old 07-06-2009, 02:54 PM   #44
freaking RT
will golf for food

Quote:
Originally Posted by knybanjo

klrworld holds thier TDP rally there in Sept and have been looking into moving it also....must be something to it.

ok skip that place
IBA#10787

– Abraham Lincoln

-Anonymous

WV VA Good Eats Map
Old 07-06-2009, 02:55 PM   #45
freaking RT
will golf for food

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsweave
Has to be a campground off of Rt 58 in Virginny. Passing that way next week I will take notes for a change.
willville is off 58. BTDT. but keep an eye out for other spots
IBA#10787

– Abraham Lincoln

-Anonymous

WV VA Good Eats Map