ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Northeast - Greater Flugistan and home of the carpet baggers.
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-17-2014, 07:18 PM   #1
zamram OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 24
What are your favorite campgrounds in the Adirondacks?

Hi All,
Me and my new bride are going moto camping on our honeymoon in a week and a half.
We have camped at Cranberry Lake and really liked it.
Limekiln Lake was OK. We did get to see a bear up close and almost personal.

So what are your favorite campgrounds in the park?
Also your favorite State Parks in upstate N.Y.?
zamram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2014, 04:25 AM   #2
NHBill
Loosely Wrapped

Oddometer: 1,346
Northampton Beach Campground on Great Sacandaga Lake. Nicest DEC campground I've stayed at. Large sites and nearly new facilities. Some good riding North of there and right on the lake for things like Kayaking, etc. Town nearby for groceries.
"There's a very fine line dividing bravery from stupidity..."
2009 F650GS
NHBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2014, 05:28 AM   #3
WAP
Weekday Warrior

Oddometer: 961
I like Fish Creek Pond and Rollins Pond campgrounds. They're right next to each other, and all sites at both are on the water.
WAP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2014, 05:50 AM   #4
operose
Mama tried

Oddometer: 399
Where are you from?

An inmate just came through this weekend and I gave him the wrong phone # to reach me at. We were having a thunderstorm and he went to Higley Flow State Park for the night rather than getting to stay for free at my place. They charged him extra because he was not from NY, just a warning. He would have been better off IMO in a walmart parking lot than paying $30 to sleep in his truck from 9pm-7am

There is quite a bit of free "dispersed camping" available you just have to find it. Horseshoe Lake is one and Floodwood Rd near Saranac Inn is another.

Refer to this page for camping regulations on State Land: http://www.dec.ny.gov/outdoor/7872.html

"Backcountry camping is allowed on Forest Preserve lands in the Adirondacks and Catskills as well as State Forest lands outside the Preserve. Camping is prohibited on Unique Areas, Wildlife Management Areas and a few other categories of state land. Hiking is generally permitted anywhere on State lands, however, special restrictions apply to both mountain biking and horseback riding.."

St Lawrence County also owns a large number of "reforestation areas" where 'dispersed camping' is legal for up to three days without a permit. More on the rules for those parcels here: http://adklaurentian.org/pages/pdf/S.../UserRules.pdf Note that there is not a good map of these areas, locals can point them out or you will notice large white and green "St. Lawrence County Reforestation Area #XY" signs

I'd also suggest checking out this PDF document prepared by St Lawrence County Planning Office, it has nice maps and info on a bunch of the state parcels and campgrounds as well as easement lands and county land

http://www.co.st-lawrence.ny.us/data...INAL%20PDf.pdf

Here is some info that includes state and private campgrounds
http://northcountryguide.com/Visitin...wrence-Camping

If that is not all overwhelming enough I can provide more due to being a walking tourist info center
operose is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2014, 07:25 AM   #5
zamram OP
Adventurer

thanks for all the info Operose

We are from SE Pa.
We want to stay in established campgrounds on this trip.

I picked up a NY camping guide so I have all the state campgrounds in that booklet to many to pick from so I am looking for feed back to narrow our choices.

I wanted to know what campgrounds you guys like the best in the Adirondacks and along the shore of lake Ontario and the seaway.

Anyone know anything about the NY state access pass. Is it worth messing with for 5-6 nites of camping in a NY park?

Thanks
Old 06-18-2014, 07:54 AM   #6
operose
Mama tried

Oddometer: 399
As WAP said, Fish Creek and Rollins Pond are in a very nice location, right on some beautiful water. My stepfather really enjoys Meachem Lake campground and a lot of people enjoy Blake campground

Regardless of where you stay I hope you have a good time
operose is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2014, 08:17 AM   #7
zamram OP
Adventurer

Meacham Lake sounds really nice.
I am going to try to narrow it down to 2 or 3 and stay a couple of nites at each.
Old 06-18-2014, 09:40 AM   #8
motojo
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 259
Lake Moreau

Lake Moreau SP. We stay here when we go to Americade. Close to Lake George. Easy access from I-87 but still feels remote at the SP. Has a nice beach.
motojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2014, 06:41 AM   #9
solohvs
somewhere around the bend

Oddometer: 168
ADK Camping

I'm a little late with this post, but I just returned from six days camping in the Lake Placid area.

Meadowbrook Campground is just outside Lake Placid in Ray Brook and a great choice for the local attractions. Near to a major road, but very nice nonetheless. Clean, well cared for and a good bathroom/showers. It's not within walking distance of very much, but the local hot dog place is legendary - Tail 'O The Pup. Sunoco station is very close.

Meacham Lake is way out there past Paul Smith College and there are not any supermarkets or restaurants nearby. Rustic, remote and off the beaten track. Camping here is more self contained, but you can get ice and the basics nearby. It's a large campground and you can almost always get a site when other places are full.

Rollins Pond and Fish Pond campgrounds are very very busy places.

Check out the Visitors Interpretive Center at Paul Smiths.

Rustic Off Road camping near Meacham Lake - find Mountain Pond off Rt 30.

Check out camping along Floodwood Road (dirt) west of Saranac Lake also off Rt 30. The St. Regis Canoe area is off the main roads and requires even MORE self contained travel skills. First come / First serve for the most part and it's remote, but busy on the weekends.

Regional Office (518) 897-1309 for general information
Forest Ranger (518) 897-1300 to talk to a ranger about rules and permits.

Plenty of motels and hotels for less strenuous "camping".

Rt 73 from the Northway I-87 to Lake Placid is being repaved - expect delays. But it is very smooth, a beautiful ride!

So go and ride the ADK area!
BMW Nav IV GPS
solohvs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2014, 10:23 AM   #10
tskellham
n00b

Oddometer: 1
Lake Eaton Campground is pretty nice. It's near Long Lake and has a lot of water front sites.
tskellham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2014, 09:55 AM   #11
zamram OP
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by zamram View Post
Hi All,
Me and my new bride are going moto camping on our honeymoon in a week and a half.
We have camped at Cranberry Lake and really liked it.
Limekiln Lake was OK. We did get to see a bear up close and almost personal.

So what are your favorite campgrounds in the park?
Also your favorite State Parks in upstate N.Y.?
We just returned from our honeymoon last night. We spent the first night in Bear Mt. State Park in the western Catskills. The park only has 41 sites and a small lake. It has outhouses with a new shower on the hill. There was only one other site occupied.very peaceful. We stayed 3 nights at Rollins Pond State Park it is nice but it was almost 4 miles back to the site. It was on the water like 80% of the sites. Water and flush toilets are close to all sites. The shower house is a bike ride away. With over 600 sites between Fish Creek and Rollins Pond it wasn't as quite but very nice. We want to thank you folks for all the info. So many places so little time!
Old 07-06-2014, 05:07 PM   #12
bikerfish
flyfishandride

Oddometer: 1,372
I like rollins and fish pond, nice place to stay a few days, rent a kayak or canoe and relax a bit. there ARE some nice secluded sites, I'll have to look up the site numbers. oh yeah, they are crowded during the summer, but once sept comes, you'll find some peace and quiet.
I think my favorite campground is lake Durant, most of the sites are on the lake, and I've seen some of the best sunsets there.
If you've never been, the Adirondack museum in blue mt lake is great, and it's worth a trip to check out great camp sagamore.
bikerfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2014, 05:30 PM   #13
blackberry
counterintuitive

Oddometer: 205
This site has photos of a few different state campground campsites.

http://campadk.com/campsitephotos.html

The guy started with Fish Creek Pond and expanded from there.
blackberry is offline   Reply With Quote