Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Old's Cool > Airheads
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-11-2009, 01:26 AM   #31
Reryder
Onward through the fog...

Oddometer: 1,397
Braided stainless steel brake hoses improve those brakes quite a bit, as does rebuilding the calipers and greasing up the pistons real good (with silicon brake grease).

Reryder (AKA Hopper)
1977 Harley Sportster
81 BMWR100RS
01 HONDA VFR800
99 SV650
Ancient Harley 45, Snortster (Sporty engine in a Norton), Norton Atlas, Honda 350/4, Ariel HS scrambler
Reryder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2009, 03:41 PM   #32
Big John Sny OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 466
I went the motorcycle shop that was rumored to have been doing the service on my bike. They were very helpful. I now know my bike really does just have 19,000 miles on it, but I also know that it has had nearly no riding and had no service probably since 95. Although the tires look ok (especially the front one that looks new) they haven't even built that model of tire in over 8 years. It did seem to ride good, but was getting pretty bad mileage. The guy that owns the shop started up an R90 he had there and let me hear what a properly tuned bike should sound like and mine didn't sound that way. I have a little work to do before I continue commuting on it, but I have put about 400 miles on it so far (including 150 miles Friday before finding out about the tires) and I really love how it rides. Now to change all the fluids, change the tires, and do a tune up, but hey, then it will ride even better.
Big John Sny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2009, 07:04 PM   #33
Hanover Fist
Adventurer

Oddometer: 10
Not sure if you have rebuilt and thoroughly cleaned the carbs yet, but that did WONDERS for my mileage. I was astonished at how much crap had gotten into all the nooks and crannies.

As a part of rebuilding the carbs you will also have to rebalance them. In getting the rebalancing correct you will also likely get it to run much more smoothly (both at speed and at idle).

I also now understand my bike much better now that I have had the carbs apart. The black magic that goes on inside a carb is much less mysterious now.

So...um...rebuild yer carbs.

HF
Old 09-28-2009, 01:40 PM   #34
Big John Sny OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Ok, I am finally tearing into this thing to stop all of the oil leaks. After sending it to the shop, I was told that the double S was as good as it was going to get without going to an electronic ignition or replacing the timing chain if it is bad (the dot is still about 1/4 inch apart). While it was there I was told that there were two biggers issues with the bike to focus on first. The oil leaks (pan, timing chain cover and push rod seals) because the internal pressure of the engine was important and that the steering bearings needed to be replaced because it got notchy when they tried to adjust them. I never have felt any steering wobble, but I don't want to wait till it starts. I figured I would start with the oil leaks. Got all the gaskets. That stung the pocket book, but not as much as it sounds like the steering bearing are going to. Any advice before I start to tear into this thing? I figured I would do the cylinders like I have done my porches and VWs. I got the rotor tool and know to pop the tool with a hammer when it is snug and not try to press/turn it off with the tool. No sealant on the pan gasket. Any bad mistakes in the clymer manual? Does it ever hit a point where I am going to be able to ride the bike more than I work on it? I guess at least I will get a good look at the timing chain when I pull the cover.
Old 09-28-2009, 03:21 PM   #35
kadesean
eyesuck

Oddometer: 972
If you have a shop that you know and trust, good for you. There is an excellent airhead resource in Pantego (Arlington). Boxers by Bruce is the name and Bruce is the proprietor. Check out http://www.boxerbruce.com/ I've ridden across country with Bruce, he is a stand up guy. Look him up if you need airhead help.

1992 BMW R100GS
2005 BMW R1200GS
kadesean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2009, 10:21 PM   #36
dilandau
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 707
i just did the same

nice move brother. I am in the same boat. I went and bought myself an 80 r100rt (sans fairings) to replace my kawasaki vulcan (vn750 - very similar to a shadow) for my daily commuter. I've only been at it for about 2 weeks- and i sold the kawk, so no going back.

so far:

Much more comfortable - no longer is all the pressure of the ride on my ass.
Much better at lane splitting- happily blows by and handles through traffic.
brakes SUCK! 3 times now its been a good thing that i always aim between cars-- because otherwise i would have slammed right into the back on one ( SFbay area traffic is second only to LA). and i have dual front brakes and a disk in the back.

for a heavy bike with a decent power band-- the brakes, no matter what people say, are inadequate for modern traffic at speed.

I say this also owning a ducati sport, with floating cast brakes etc etc-- once you ride a bike with brakes that actually work-- you realize how terrible the bmw brakes really are.

Im on a mission to upgrade my r100 - doing research now, but once i arrive at a plan i will keep you posted.
Old 09-29-2009, 01:49 AM   #37
baldwithglasses
Godspeed, Robert

Oddometer: 795
I've been driving the dogshit out of my R65. The bike got lots better once I replaced the charging system with a real charging system.

With decent organic pads the brakes become almost useful.

Hope to add heated grips and/or poagies for the upcoming cold weather...
baldwithglasses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2009, 09:13 PM   #38
Big John Sny OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Started the teardown. Left exhaust came off fine.

The right side started to turn with the first whack, gave it a second and decided to cut off the nut.

I figure I will buy a new nut, clean the threads with the thread file and decide if they are too far gone or not.

I pulled the old pan gasket because it was pushing out everywhere. The old one was a soft rubber the new one is more of a hard fibrous material.

At least the pan was pretty clean when I pulled it down.

Everything on the front pulled pretty easy. The rotor rotor popped off with the first good whack.

I was ready to heat the timing cover and pull it when I realized the shop did not give me the new cam seal, so I bolted the pan back on and stopped there to keep the bike from sitting with it open for a week or two while I try to locate the cam seal.
Old 10-06-2009, 06:47 AM   #39
Blane
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 303
Nice ride. I live in Dallas and use my r75/5 toaster as a commuter a few times a week. A good source for small parts is Hucky's BMW (http://www.bmwhucky.com). I'm in the process of reconditioning another /6 motor and I got all my gaskets, seals and small parts from him.

Enjoy the ride.
1970's Frankenbeemer Cafe (Love this Bike)
1970 R75/5 rebuild in progress
Blane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2009, 01:22 PM   #40
Big John Sny OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Thanks, I have been wanting a more convienient way to get parts. Boxers by bruce and Perry's are both open pretty much when I am at work.

Ok, I pulled the front cover. I hadn't got the cam seal yet, but I figured I would see what the chain looked like since the timing has been doubled. Hair dryer worked great for heating up the cover. I was going to put a little torch to it, but like avoiding open flames when possible. Heated it up for a minute, bumped it at the top and off it came.

Now, how to tell if the chain or tensioner is bad. Surely there will be some kind of tension spec, deflection of chain spec, Something in the Clymer manual, right?

Nope, and don't call me Shirley.

So, How tight should it be? The tensioner is just one big flat spring on the left side of the engine (left while sitting on bike) with a guide on the end of it. There is no fixed guide or coil spring like the later models. It does not seem to have very much tension at all. I can move the guide off the chain with my pinky. I guess there would not be much more effort at this point to replace the chain and tensioner, just the cost of parts, but I would hate to replace, just too replace. It wasn't that hard to get the motor down to this point.
Old 10-10-2009, 04:46 AM   #41
Renner
combustophile

Oddometer: 1,867
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big John Sny
... figured I would see what the chain looked like since the timing has been doubled.

I guess there would not be much more effort at this point to replace the chain and tensioner, just the cost of parts, but I would hate to replace, just too replace. It wasn't that hard to get the motor down to this point.
I would suggest replacement of the timing chain and tensioner just to put that unknown variable to rest, though it is unlikely to be worn if the bike truly has only 19,000 miles on it.

1/4" gap of the doubled image isn't much and replacing the chain may help very little. Easy as it is to access the chain, you might just put it back together and enjoy the bike till later.

Your call.

Renner screwed with this post 10-10-2009 at 04:55 AM
Renner is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2009, 09:11 AM   #42
Big John Sny OP
Gnarly Adventurer

I guess that has been part of my confusion. I have gotten both ends of the spectrum talking to people about how much overlap I should be worried about. First I was told 1/4 inch split between S's was too much at idle. This was also stated in the completely useless Clymer manual. The shop told me not to worry unless I got over 1/4 inch overlap of the dot at full advance. I am at 1/4 at full advance. If I am worrying about nothing, I am fine with that. I am starting to think there is a lot of issues with this bike for it to have that little of mileage on it, but much of it also can be explained by sitting so long and then being used by the last owner for a while after doing little to no maintainance on the bike.
I think I worry most about the lack of tension on the chain since it seems like I could blow hard enough to push the tensioner off of the chain, but again this may be normal. It is always a fun feeling to spend money on parts to get new ones that act exactly like the old ones you pulled off. I guess that is how you get experience.
Old 10-10-2009, 05:29 PM   #43
durtwurm
Talented Amateur

Oddometer: 4,353
Big John. I have read through this thread and it is a case of deja vu! Your bike sat awhile, and though in essentially good condition, has suffered from lack of ongoing maintenance.Notchy head bearing, bad seals, old tires. I have been there. Once you get it all fixed though, routine maintenance will keep it roadworthy for thousands and thousands of miles. Old airheads don't like to be" ignored"!
Old 10-12-2009, 07:13 AM   #44
Big John Sny OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Here is what the gears look like

The tensioner pushed back

Here is the wear on the inside of the tensioner

Anyone with a little experience putting their eyes on the inside of the engine be able to give me an idea how bad the wear looks to them?

Yeah, I have had a few people tell me that it will all be ok once I get everything sorted out. I think the bad part was that I just got finished doing a ton of work on the Shadow and traded for this bike that was supposed to not need anything but a bit of oil leak sorted out.
Old 10-12-2009, 07:45 AM   #45
Jasper ST4

Oddometer: n/a
It looks good to me. I would ride it!