Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Ride reports
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-02-2009, 09:57 AM   #1
Trailace OP
Dumb Ass

Oddometer: 1,150
TAT Part II Sep 2009 The Good, The Bad & The Ugly.

The beginning!
Monticello UT

The End!
Port Orford OR
More later.
2007 G650X Challenge
2002 R1150GS ADV
Iron Butt # 7362
Trailace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2009, 04:18 PM   #2
Trailace OP
Dumb Ass

TAT Part II Sep 2009 UT to OR A new cast of Characters

After months of anticipation it was time to start the ride. Chief could not join me this year but there would be a few new characters along for the ride.

Ron

Phil

Rick

Finished a few things at work loaded the bike and headed north to meet Ron and Phil. I was going to ride the entire trip but decided to just throw my bike in the truck with them and save some time.

Loaded up and on the road.

We stopped in Clarendon TX to catch a few hours of sleep. This would be Ron and Philís first dual sport camping off the bike ride and Phil still had a few things to work out.

There was a stray black cat hanging around our room, hope it would not be a sign of things to come. It kept meowing at our door all night and in the morning. As I was putting a few things back into the truck the darn thing ran up and bit me.

It had tags on so I decided it had to have had itís shots and left it at that. There was a strong smell of gas coming from the bikes. It was coming from Ronís bike and we determined he had a bad gas tank seal that would need to be replaced. I also noticed that I left my camelback at home. So time to do a little shopping. We found everything we needed but the gas seal in Amarillo.

We would stop in Albuquerque at Motorsport Inc. to try one more time for the seal. The guys there were super nice and Shaw went above and beyond to help us out. He did not have the seal at the shop but was sure he had one at home so we followed him to his house and sure enough he had the seal. How cool it that!
Shaw

Store

ABQ Motorsport

Ronís driving was so bad Phil wears a helmet most of the time.

We made it to Monticello UT right at sunset and found a place to camp. We would leave the truck there for a few weeks.

We camped at the RV Park on the north side of town. The site was $15 for 3 tents and the man running the place had a son that was a real pistol.

Set up our tents, took showers and off to bed. Oh no another cat!

It started to rain and the cat slept under Ronís vestibule all night. Here he is checking out his new home.

I could not wait to get on the road and had a hard time sleeping.
2007 G650X Challenge
2002 R1150GS ADV
Iron Butt # 7362
Old 10-03-2009, 06:10 PM   #3
GB
Mod Squad

Oddometer: 55,842
This is going to be a fun ride!! Thanks for the intro and taking us along

Old 10-03-2009, 09:01 PM   #4
Trailace OP
Dumb Ass

Day 1

We woke to a cold wet day with thunder and lightening. Not a get way to start the TAT so we went to have breakfast at a local eatery and met April.

She fills us in on all the local gossip and said it would stop raining when it stops. We could see the sky was clear just a few miles north so we broke camp in the rain and hit the trail.

The rain was not all bad because it kept the dust down all day but it did give us about thirty miles of mud to deal with.

Before long we would climb into Manti-la Sal National Forest and as always Sam would mix in a few cool paths.
This was nice.

Next we headed down to Moab past Slick Rock and the Lions Back.

In Moab we filled up with gas and grabbed a snack. Right next to the gas station was a car wash so we hosed off the 10 pounds of mud from the beginning of the day.

Just north of Moab we crossed 191 and climbed again, this time into red sand and rock ledges.
Looking back toward Moab.

A few nice pictures from the area.

We met Dan and Ryk who were on XR650R. They were also doing the TAT. We would have dinner in Green River with them later that night. Sorry no pictures.

The roads turned to fast flat gravel with hills all around. Here are Ron and Phil having a little fun on the hills.

Both Ron and Phil are retired F15 fighter pilots. Lets just say it takes a lot to get their adrenalin going. As for me, I just hope to keep out of their way.

We made Green River State Park and set up camp.

We would have dinner at Tamarisk Restaurant just east of the Green River on 6.

Not bad for a late start and rain.

Elevations

2007 G650X Challenge
2002 R1150GS ADV
Iron Butt # 7362

Trailace screwed with this post 10-04-2009 at 07:09 AM
Old 10-05-2009, 09:26 PM   #5
Trailace OP
Dumb Ass

Day 2
Well we had a little wind and rain last night but that did not hamper my sleep. Also, moving my tent as far away from Phil as I could sure helped. He snores but not near as bad as Chief. LOL Here is a picture of Green River where we camped.

Packed and ready to go well not everyone.

Today would be one of the best days of riding on the trip but first we had to stop for breakfast and coffee. I don’t drink coffee but Ron and Phil can’t get going without it. We stopped at the local donut shop for a quick meal. It was Melon Days in Green River and I’m not sure what a dog has to do with melons.

Here are the girls running for the Green River Melon Queen.

Ok back to the TAT and the great riding we would have today. While eating we saw Dan and Ryk ride past us heading for the trail. We would be just a few minutes behind them. The road out of town was paved but soon we would cut off onto an old dirt trail that went under a rail line. However, with all the rain, the pass under the tracks was full of deep mud so rather then going back we just went over. I always seem to forget to take pictures when the road gets hard or there is an issue on the ride. Sorry!

After jumping the tracks we ran down an old abandoned road next to the freeway.

Then through a gate to Black Dragon wash. The wash had lots of technical riding and the scenery was just unbelievable.

The rain clouds were building all around us but we were lucky and never saw a drop. We heard later that Dan and Ryk got soaked and had to wait under a bridge for 30 minutes.

Stopped to check out Swasey Cabin.
Ron

Rick

Phil

Next we followed the wash under I 70.

There was a lot of deep sand but since it was wet from the rain it was a fun fast ride. I did go down in one corner but Phil has that picture. When he sends it to me I will add it.

Phil pic added

The rest or the day was just great riding. Here are a few pics.

Where did the rocks come from?

Fast Dirt.

The plan was to stop in Salina but we arrived early so we pushed on to Richfield. We did run into Dan and Ryk again.

One of the roads on the way to Richfield and a cattle ranch we passed.

The weather has been great sun shining and cool most of the time.

Stats

Elevations

2007 G650X Challenge
2002 R1150GS ADV
Iron Butt # 7362

Trailace screwed with this post 10-09-2009 at 10:48 PM
Old 10-07-2009, 10:44 PM   #6
Trailace OP
Dumb Ass

All Good

Day 3

When I first posted about this trip I let it be known that I planned on camping most nights. However, Ron and Phil would be happy to stay in motel every night. Last night would have been 3 nights in a row of camping and they decided that $29 at a KOA was just too much and we ended up at the Richfield Quality Inn, I think. It was two against one and I lost. I refused to take any pictures. I think Phil has a few. Unfortunately this would not be the last motel stay.

Before we could got back on the trail we needed to stop by ACE hardware to look for something to put on Philís gas cap because it was leaking.

Here is the first map of many today.

With the cap fixed it was time to hit the trail and in just a few miles we had climbed high above Richfield into Fishlake National Forest.

This section was loads of fun. It was a small ATV type trail with lots of elevation changes. The road was hard packed dark dirt and I bet it would almost be impassable if it was wet.

The trees were starting to change and there were cattle all over the area.

Small cabin on the trail.

When you come down out of the forest youíre just a few miles from Kanosh so we stopped to fill up. Two things you donít want to do on the TAT is pass up gas or water.

After Kanosh the roads were flat and fast. We did see this little guy crossing the road.

Then we rode on Black Rock Rd past Sevier Lake to Crystal Peak Pass. You could see Crystal Peak 30 miles away.

Kicking up some dust poor Ron is back there somewhere.

As you can see in the picture above, me and Phil road side by side 95% of the time. So you could say for us 95% of the TAT was single track.

We stopped and climbed about 1/3 of the why up. If you look close you can see Phil and the bikes in this picture.

Then it was back to fast gravel roads.

Right before we crossed the border into Nevada, Sam gave us a little foreshadowing of things to come.

Also right before the border you need to ride north to Hwy 50 for gas. If you donít it will be a long way til the next stop. We met these guys at the station. I can't remember their names. They were following the Pony Express trail and took a bypass to ride down the loneliest highway.

Welcome to Nevada (Hey Dr Rock your sticker is still there)

I like this pic

Now we were in the desert and we would see lots of this for the next few
days.

One of many fences we would ride along and with washouts and sand it will keep you on your toes. Foreshadowing

We did not take the big bike bypass and it was off to the 5 miles of sandy single track through Cottonwood Canyon. I missed the turn and ended up in a box canyon and had to backtrack a half mile.

This is the big rock that stopped us.

Not sure how I missed this road.

We blazed through the single track in no time but I want to give a big thanks to whoever hung the yellow tap in the trees along the confusing area.

We covered a lot of miles today and the sun was getting low so we just camped out on the trail.
Here is where we camped.

I think we ran a few cows off of their sleeping area but we needed it more than they did.

Sunset.

Ron cooking dinner

Rick in his cool Tot Spot chair.

Nice Fire.

Off to bed.

Stats

Elevations
2007 G650X Challenge
2002 R1150GS ADV
Iron Butt # 7362

Trailace screwed with this post 10-09-2009 at 10:43 PM
Old 10-08-2009, 08:28 AM   #7
Saeed
Life-long learner

Oddometer: 284
wonderful trip report.
Thanks

2006 Honda CRF 250X " Sold "
2007 Sportster 883 " sold"
2008 yamaha FZ6
Saeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2009, 08:40 AM   #8
RockyNH
Older Than Dirt!

Oddometer: 1,082
Very nice report... photos are great... what an adventure..

Trip Report 2009 Trans Lab Highway

Trip Report 2010 James Bay & North Road Quebec
RockyNH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2009, 09:01 AM   #9
DR. Rock
Part of the problem

Oddometer: 5,528
Looking good,

keep it coming!
"I came into this game for the action, the excitement; go anywhere, travel light... get in, get out... wherever there's trouble, a man alone... Now they got the whole country sectioned off; you can't make a move without a form." --Robert De Niro as Archibald 'Harry' Tuttle in Brazil, 1985. The Mobius Trip index | Spot tracking live 4/18-5/4/13 | AdventureLoftô Tent Space
DR. Rock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2009, 09:04 AM   #10
bigdon
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,552
N

Don't stop riding until you get to the crash , you might save it!
bigdon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2009, 09:10 AM   #11
LittleWan
You can do it!

Oddometer: 1,755
Wasn't that awesome single track?? Loved it
Is that what it's called - Cottonwood Canyon? I couldn't find a name on the maps or roll chart.

Great report!

Oso bored? you can find the rest of our ride reports HERE
make stupid your favorite!
LittleWan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2009, 12:13 PM   #12
Trailace OP
Dumb Ass

Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleWan
Wasn't that awesome single track?? Loved it
Is that what it's called - Cottonwood Canyon? I couldn't find a name on the maps or roll chart.

Great report!
This is from TOPO 2008
2007 G650X Challenge
2002 R1150GS ADV
Iron Butt # 7362
Old 10-08-2009, 04:36 PM   #13
Questor
More Undestructable

Oddometer: 4,131
Well done Ride Report.
I remember the road out to Crystal Peak and Baker NV.
I got so fed up with the deep loose gravel I threw a hissy fit.
But then I got back on the bike and wicked the speed up to 50 MPH - that helped.

Q~
Questor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2009, 04:51 PM   #14
Trailace OP
Dumb Ass

Quote:
Originally Posted by Questor
Well done Ride Report.
I remember the road out to Crystal Peak and Baker NV.
I got so fed up with the deep loose gravel I threw a hissy fit.
But then I got back on the bike and wicked the speed up to 50 MPH - that helped.

Q~
As you can see from my top speed we might have been running a little fast on those section.
2007 G650X Challenge
2002 R1150GS ADV
Iron Butt # 7362
Old 10-09-2009, 10:42 PM   #15
Trailace OP
Dumb Ass

Some Bad today!

Day 4

We woke to a cool dry desert morning after a great nightís sleep. It was still dark but all the stars were gone and the sun was starting to rise. Again I was the first one up and about. These pilots sure liked to sleep late. Since they would want coffee before hitting the trail I decided to restart the fire. It would be breakfast bars and coffee/hot chocolate by a warm fire this morning.

The roads on this day were a mix of everything, rocks, sand, double track and no tracks, but it would all be fast fun riding. There were some gates but with our system they were no big deal. I would open them and leave them halfway in the road and Ron would close them.

The road leaving camp.

Soon we could see Sawmill Peak, which we would ride up and around.

On top of Sawmill Peak.

This is how most of the day would go, climb over a pass and ride the basin bottom till the next pass. We stopped in Preston for gas and much needed water. Philís front tire looked a little low and after checking we added some air.

You can see in this picture what Iím saying about riding the basin between passes.

At one point Phil and I were just riding along enjoying the view when Ron passes us and waves. We thought he was just having fun because he didnít stop at first. He finally pulls over and starts looking at his bike. Seems one of Ronís bungee straps had come loose and was tangled in his chain.

We all broke out our old man glasses and took a look. The strap had broken the case guard and the case but it was no big deal. A few tie straps later we were back on the road.

We stopped here to make sure Ron took the right road.

One of the coolest things on the whole ride was when we saw these wild horses coming our way.

They crossed right in front of us. Ron couldnít believe his eyes. I have to say it was an amazing sight.

My side kick Phil

Lots of double track like this.

I routed us past the abandoned mine where Dr Rock had camped. However, it was too early to stop so we pushed on.

Here is what I call no track.

Not sure if we were on the right trail at this point but you could tell there had been a road there once. A half-mile later we were back on a gravel road that followed the telephone poles in the photo.

We could see Battle Mountain off in the distance but Sam would run us thought a bunch of talcum power sandy roads just for fun. Sorry no pictures.

Just a cool Pic

It was a long day, 255 miles, so the guys wanted to stay in a motel so a motel it would be.

Stats

Elevations
2007 G650X Challenge
2002 R1150GS ADV
Iron Butt # 7362