ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Northeast - Greater Flugistan and home of the carpet baggers.
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-04-2009, 04:15 PM   #1
kerhonky OP
Adventure Poser

Oddometer: 1,128
Laugh New York's Dirty Little Tag-O-Rama

OK, so there was at least a little interest in doing a TOR on only dirt roads, so I'll start it. Rules are modified from the Empire State TOR.
  1. Find the tag and reproduce the photo (as best as possible). Take the tag to a new location, get the photo and post it here. It's your choice whether you want to give the exact location of the tag or not. If you don't, at least indicate where the general area is. GPS coordinates are OK, but I don't have a GPS unit so I won't be giving them on the first tag.
  2. Tag must be: a) findable; b) placed on a dirt or gravel road, or a trail if you're so inclined; and c) in a place you can ride to LEGALLY.
    • Try to give folks some idea of the skill level that will be needed to get to the tag location. The harder it is to get there though, the longer the tag will likely sit. If nobody picks up the tag, the holder may elect to re-post a different one.
  3. The first person to post a found tag gets to place the next tag. If you get a tag, but somebody else posts their picture first, you lose.
  4. One tag at a time within thread. File photos ARE permitted to SET a tag, but not to GET a tag. You gotta at least ride to the tag you're picking up to play this game.
  5. I don't give a fuck about tags from other states, so keep them to yourself. This is a New York TOR.
  6. No whining There are plenty of folks here that will help you understand the rules
  7. The holder of the tag determines if the tag has been duplicated and acknowledges it by posting on the thread. (Surrendering the Tag) However, if the tag holder does not respond within a day, the rest of the players will be the judge.
  8. No Pre-Arranged Tag Handoffs / Linear Tag sequence
  9. The motorcycle in the picture must get to the tag location under its own power (The vfr870 rule).
So here's the first tag:

This is at the parking lot for the Holt Preserve in the Town of New Scotland. To get there, you can take Copeland Hill Road south from NYS Route 32, or you can take Appleby Road north from Albany CR 108 (which also happens to be named Copeland Hill Road). The gate that you see in the background is where the northern approach reaches the parking lot. I haven't ridden that route, and the article that they posted on the sign says that it's impassable by car. However, I did not see any signs indicating the road is closed. The southern approach is pretty tame, a gravel road with nothing worse than some potholes.

Not a real hard-core dirt rider's tag, but I'm not a hard-core dirt rider, and this ain't hard-core dirt rider heaven around here, either. I just wanted to get this game started, mainly in hopes that it will inspire me to get off the pavement more.

If you think I won't understand it just because you have to explain it to me, maybe it was bullshit to begin with.
kerhonky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2009, 10:12 PM   #2
Stagehand
+/- V TDSPP

Oddometer: 25,085
I've got a lot of time, next week.
Old 07-06-2009, 08:41 AM   #3
edfetz
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 991
Dirt tag- Great idea !!! Im subscribed. Great way to find more big bike dirt.
JGRMX-Pirelli Tires
edfetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2009, 08:50 AM   #4
natedog39
New Sheriff in town

Oddometer: 6,206
Quote:
Originally Posted by edfetz
Dirt tag- Great idea !!! Im subscribed. Great way to find more big bike dirt.
I got some big bike dirt for ya. That tag is right around the corner from my house. I cant post pictures yet so if I go over there I won,t touch the tag. But now I want to see if I can find it.
natedog39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2009, 11:21 AM   #5
Stagehand
+/- V TDSPP

And so completes the GReat TAG Trifecta! :lol
Old 07-06-2009, 11:36 AM   #6
natedog39
New Sheriff in town

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stagehand

Sum bee otch,, wifey and I just went up there and couldn,t find anything. Guess ya beat us to it.
Old 07-06-2009, 12:24 PM   #7
Fraulein
Chicken

Oddometer: 42
Laugh

Quote:
Poor thing is going to have to join taggers anonymous if this keeps up. And I am going to have to start a support group for tag widows and widowers.
Fraulein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2009, 12:39 PM   #8
kerhonky OP
Adventure Poser

You're really making the rounds, Stagehand. Did you check out the northern approach? 10 minutes from home; I really should go ride it myself.

Edit: Hey, wait a minute! You're not standing on the seat! Come to think of it, you weren't standing on the bike in the Clermont tag, either. I'd hate to think you're descending into slipshod tagging just for the sake of speed. Expediency will drown you in mediocrity, my friend.

Quote:
Originally Posted by natedog39
Sum bee otch,, wifey and I just went up there and couldn,t find anything. Guess ya beat us to it.
If for some reason you're interested in finding it anyway, and you go in from the south.

From Ravena:

N on 9W
Left on CR 101
Left on SR 396
Stay straight on to 301 when 396 ends
Left on Copeland Hill Road (CR 108)
Appleby is at the top of the hill on your right.
Tag location is a couple hundred yards past the derelict barn with the herd of goats wandering around.

If you think I won't understand it just because you have to explain it to me, maybe it was bullshit to begin with.
Old 07-06-2009, 12:48 PM   #9
Stagehand
+/- V TDSPP

Not a chance! Its just way more difficult to take a pic of myself standkng on the bike with the phone I took additionals with the camera, but it requires an actual computer hookup to complete.

Fraulein, at least you did not start the adv girlfriend tagorama like you we're thestening to!

At least I hope you didn't, :ummm...
Old 07-06-2009, 12:56 PM   #10
natedog39
New Sheriff in town

Quote:
Originally Posted by kerhonky
You're really making the rounds, Stagehand. Did you check out the northern approach? 10 minutes from home; I really should go ride it myself.

Edit: Hey, wait a minute! You're not standing on the seat! Come to think of it, you weren't standing on the bike in the Clermont tag, either. I'd hate to think you're descending into slipshod tagging just for the sake of speed. Expediency will drown you in mediocrity, my friend.

If for some reason you're interested in finding it anyway, and you go in from the south.

From Ravena:

N on 9W
Left on CR 101
Left on SR 396
Stay straight on to 301 when 396 ends
Left on Copeland Hill Road (CR 108)
Appleby is at the top of the hill on your right.
Tag location is a couple hundred yards past the derelict barn with the herd of goats wandering around.
I know where the site is, I ride through there all the time. No tag, jason beat me to it. unless I,m missing something.
Old 07-06-2009, 01:22 PM   #11
kerhonky OP
Adventure Poser

Quote:
Originally Posted by natedog39
I know where the site is, I ride through there all the time. No tag, jason beat me to it. unless I,m missing something.
Sorry. I mistook what you meant by "couldn't find anything."

Old 07-06-2009, 01:30 PM   #12
Stagehand
+/- V TDSPP

I think I saw some single tire tracks while I was there. Was the DOT filling some holes in the road down the street while you were there?

Oh, I did come in from the south (Copeland hill rd) and no, I didnt enter. There weren't any signs to tell me not to, but it was an "animal sanctuary" and I am pretty much the opposite of that

Also- I got pics standing on the seat for the NYS and the HV tag, but indeed I did forget to for this one. NEVER AGAIN!
Old 07-06-2009, 01:43 PM   #13
natedog39
New Sheriff in town

Quote:
I think I saw some single tire tracks while I was there. Was the DOT filling some holes in the road down the street while you were there?

Oh, I did come in from the south (Copeland hill rd) and no, I didnt enter. There weren't any signs to tell me not to, but it was an "animal sanctuary" and I am pretty much the opposite of that

Also- I got pics standing on the seat for the NYS and the HV tag, but indeed I did forget to for this one. NEVER AGAIN!
You can go thru there, the santuary is off the road. thats a right of way thru there.
Old 07-07-2009, 12:51 PM   #14
Stagehand
+/- V TDSPP

Sorry guys, I have to make this one wait just a bit. I have two ideas in mind... make that three, but I'm heading in a different direction than all three of those, so I will have the thing up before the 48 hour mark-- I promise...

but not yet!

At least I'll still have options if it rolls back around.
Old 07-08-2009, 10:44 AM   #15
Stagehand
+/- V TDSPP

Fox hill. Near sacandaga. Fun little double track. More pics later.

Tag away! This place was about 3-4 miles in, just as the class 3 road descended in to a class four, and we didnt feel like slogging the big GS's through, in the time we had to do it in.

Should be a good tag, I think it captures the spirit of the dirt tag pretty well.

Need more hints? I'm almost positive it is a legal road, there were zero signs and no gate, no nothing. I think its possibly the only one off that road. Sure are a ton of dead ends and posted signs. This one should be ok, and provide a good couple miles of riding entertainment, as well.

Stagehand screwed with this post 07-08-2009 at 02:21 PM
Stagehand is offline   Reply With Quote