User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-22-2010, 04:05 PM   #1
Steverino OP
Arrogant Horse's Ass #1

Oddometer: 36,558
TWO, THC, and THNX 2010

Been a while since I did one of these. I'll give it a shot until I get boring (too boring). Decided to ride to TX for the Texas Hill Country(THC) shin dig. Then Willy-B's Trailer Trash suare' at Two Wheels Only in Suches, GA.

Seemed simple enough, get my KTM ready for 4500 miles in 10 days, no problem. So I got it all ready to go and a couple of weeks before I was to leave the rear shock blew. So off to Superplush for a rebuild. Due to issues beyond my control, they did not get back to me in time. So at the last minute I had to get my new to me R100GS ready to go. Got it all sorted and this is the way it looked the day I left.

I left Friday morning with the first days goal to get to Suches, GA. Could not make myself do all slab so I hopped on the Blue Ridge Parkway at Afton Mtn.

The views did not suck.

Apparently I was having more fun than the Park Rangers intended so they stopped me to chat about it.

This is what I thought of the warning ticket.

I guess I should have been more appreciative of the fact that it was only a warning ticket. 65 in a 45 on the parkway can be a pretty spendy ticket.

I wicked down a bit for a while. But avoided any more run ins with the Rangers. I got to where the BRP crosses the James River and found out that my friendly Rangers were going to officially end my fun.

Hopped off and took 501 to 130 over to Glasgow. A road that does not suck either.

After that I settled in to riding 81, my favorite Road ever. Not. I despise I-81. But it was a necessary evil. I noticed before getting on 81 I was having light issues. It appeared to me that the HID bulb was loose on the lamp housing. Stopped and put it back in and went about my way. Not long after it happened again. So I turned off the HID and just tan on the aux light for a while.

My next gas stop afforded me the chance to replace the HID with the stock H4 bulb I carry. What happened is the plastic housing of the HID bulb had broken and was allowing the bulb to just flop around. The stock bulb does not use the plastic housing so it worked fine. I love repairs on the road...

Of course I left the GPS on when I did this and the bike would not start. Thank goodness for kind strangers and my Bitty Booster Cables. After I got it started it was just more I-81 slogg down to I-26 and over to Irwin, TN. Here I picked up TN 352 which turns into NC 212. Time for more fun.

After hours of slogging on the slab it was fun to ride some good twisties. I noticed traffic was more than usual especially heading into Hot Springs, NC. It appears that the closed I-40 is directing traffic onto these fun back roads and clogging all the fun stuff.

Most of them stayed on 25 back to 40 and I went straight on 209. I decided to try out the HD feature of Gwen's camera. Took a Gorilla Pod and wrapped it around the bars. Pretty rudimentary but it worked.

Seemed to work fine...I had to stop for the tractor trailer that was stuck trying to turn around on the tight road. Eventually the Trooper let us go and the fun was on again.

I love this road...

Then it was back to slogging on 4 lane as I cut across NC to Suches. The rest of the day was even more boring than this and I got there around 10:00. Ronald the greeter was there to greet all on their arrival.

Got to run...BBL

Steverino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2010, 07:00 PM   #2
GB
Mod Squad

Oddometer: 55,320
Lovely intro... gotta hand it you.. removing the gas tank on the road...

You got lucky on the BRP with that warning ticket.. an inmate on here that I know wasn't so lucky.. 62 in the 45 cost him a night in the county jail... his bike was impounded and had to hire a lawyer to sort things out.. $2000 later, he was back on the road.

Old 04-24-2010, 07:34 AM   #3
-N8-
Ride like you stole it!!

Oddometer: 125

The More moving parts...the safer I feel!!

-N8- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2010, 10:16 AM   #4
soboy
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,285
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gadget Boy
Lovely intro... gotta hand it you.. removing the gas tank on the road...

You got lucky on the BRP with that warning ticket.. an inmate on here that I know wasn't so lucky.. 62 in the 45 cost him a night in the county jail... his bike was impounded and had to hire a lawyer to sort things out.. $2000 later, he was back on the road.

I had a nice chat with one of BRP's finest after he clocked me at 60 near Asheville on my Transalp. He was actually a decent fella, had never seen a TA before and was very interested in my bike. Let me go with a warning.
"Reason takes a holiday as Dr. Horrible spends money he doesn't have, on a motorcycle he doesn't need, in a misguided attempt to recapture his youth which, upon reflection, wasn't all that great in the first place."
"Ride to the bar in your pirate outfit, guzzle some beer, play "Free Bird' on the juke box and then go home. Badass."
soboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2010, 02:17 PM   #5
Steverino OP
Arrogant Horse's Ass #1

Oddometer: 36,558
I was not kidding, Ronald was there to greet all that arrived at TWO.

I have not camped in a while. It was cold as hell Friday night and I was reminded that a 12 degree sleeping bag is not enough when the temps are in the 30's. But it was a good night.

Saturday AM we got up and had to wait for Willy-B to finish playing with his meat before we went for a ride.

Land, Phideaux, Knybnjo, Willy-B, and I rode out 60 to 68 and over to Tellico Plains.

It was a spirited ride to say the least.

(Click on the pic to see the video)

Some pics taken by Land.

When we got to Tellico we stopped at Minimike's fine establishment to do some shopping.

Then we had a little fun on the Cheroholla Skyraceway.

(click on the pic to see the video )

BRB got to upload one more video...

Steverino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2010, 02:22 PM   #6
Dancer
Another Dan

Oddometer: 181
Dancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2010, 02:34 PM   #7
mike
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,069
Looks good.
Old 04-24-2010, 04:20 PM   #8
Land
Wanderer

Oddometer: 3,820

Good times.

Chris
Land is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2010, 06:12 PM   #9
phideaux
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,220
It was great to meet and ride with you Steve. Beautiful GS! I'm so glad you got to pass me on 68.

Give a shout next time you're in our neck of the woods.

Mrs. Phideaux to her octogenarian friend when the granny wants to know if she can sit on one of my bikes:

"It's Okay, they only fall over when HE'S on them."

North GA Tag-O-Rama Map
Georgia Tag-O-Rama Map
phideaux is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2010, 06:38 PM   #10
phideaux
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,220
Steverino and friends wait out the captured Capnord on the Cherohalla Raceway:

Now was that 60 I just flew up??

Mrs. Phideaux to her octogenarian friend when the granny wants to know if she can sit on one of my bikes:

"It's Okay, they only fall over when HE'S on them."

North GA Tag-O-Rama Map
Georgia Tag-O-Rama Map
phideaux is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2010, 07:48 PM   #11
knybanjo
kinda slow

Oddometer: 22,964
Steve it was good to see you again!! and I really enjoyed that run across the Cherohala Saturday!

Ronald kind of gave me the creeps though.....that flux aint right.

I can't believe how good that R100 looks either!

You somehow managed to evade the lens of my camera....or did you find it and delete yourself?

But I did catch a bit of the action!

See ya at the Eastern Rendezvous in a few weeks!!
Old 04-25-2010, 07:09 PM   #12
Willy-B
onebudwiser

Oddometer: 7,804

LAND!!! LAND!!! Come in, Land.

This is the part where I had Steve's cousin 'Skinny' distracted....You were supposed to have jacked that pristine bimmer. .... Somewhere's along this point and time, according to the conversation we had before leaving TWO.

Remember? We had discussed how funny it would be leaving him standing there in disbelief...

My theory, you only get one chance, go full fucking throttle, all the way, all the time.-Trip
Willy-B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2010, 06:09 AM   #13
Land
Wanderer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willy-B

LAND!!! LAND!!! Come in, Land.

This is the part where I had Steve's cousin 'Skinny' distracted....You were supposed to have jacked that pristine bimmer. .... Somewhere's along this point and time, according to the conversation we had before leaving TWO.

Remember? We had discussed how funny it would be leaving him standing there in disbelief...

I missed my chance. I think I was looking at some motor-sickle site on the InnerWebs when I should have been stealing the R100.

I've decided to wait until he gets all that electrical stuff sorted before I swipe it, anyway, so it's all good.

Chris
Old 04-26-2010, 06:16 AM   #14
Land
Wanderer

Doesn't Queen have a song about this one?

"TRI-cycle!
TRI-cycle!
I want to ride my tri-cycle,
I want to ride my trike!

"I want to ride my tricycle,
I want to ride it where I like!
TRI-cycle!
TRI-cycle!"

Chris
Old 04-26-2010, 06:21 AM   #15
Land