Oddometer: 410
baja

Marin County To Cabo!
Dogtown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2009, 09:40 AM   #32
crashmaster
ow, my balls!

Oddometer: 5,191
Sounds like you slid right into Mexico in style. Ensenada is always a required last night in Baja on the boys dirt bike trips.

I cant seem to see any of your posted pics. Take a look at this thread to show you how to embed them in the post.

Use Option #2 http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=919 Also remember when you're working on a RR post your session will time out in about 30 min I believe. I just usually copy and paste from text edit to save time.

Enjoy the ride to San Felipe.

crashmaster screwed with this post 07-14-2009 at 05:10 PM
crashmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2009, 08:10 PM   #33
Dogtown OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Pics!!

Crashmaster! I figured out the pics and I'm on it I have two more reports and tons of Pics There on the way!

Marin County To Cabo!
Old 07-16-2009, 08:35 PM   #34
crashmaster
ow, my balls!

Where are you now? Did you go the Gonzaga - Bay of LA - Francisquito route?

Old 07-17-2009, 07:27 AM   #35
Dogtown OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Ensenada to San Filipe

Wow! Leaving Ensenada and riding across Baja to the Gulf of California side today….. I have some grid coordinates in my gps and routs but really its more like getting in a life raft and crossing the pacific and hoping you hit Hawaii. Your really on your own on. You cross a desert that reminds me of the high desert of Cali and Nevada where my grandpa grew up. Remember its Mexico, so the standard “Idiot” proof stuff doesn’t exist for first timers. Its full on Baja in the middle of no where type of stuff that says “Sean and his wife Jen got a flat tire somewhere on hwy 3 in Mexico and by the time anyone found them, the buzzards had them picked clean down to white calcium! We have the roads to ourselves and hardly see a car or living thing all day. By the time we hit the cross roads between hwy 3 and 5 and the military check points guys went through our stuff, we where “off roading” Two up and with gear! I love the dirt but freak out when the front tire washes out to the left 6 inches for no good reason! We roll into San Filipe and grab some Lunch. We meet some expats from Willow Glenn that cashed it all in and have been living here for 12 years. They say they will never go back. We check out a few hotels/motels for rate and find no one is wiling to bargain. Hummmmmm? No one in town and they still want to get quoted prices. Well the heat and humidity has camping out of the question , and I’m thinking of sending the 20 lbs in camping gear home to! Its just too friggin hot to camp. I remember my Father in law telling me once that he read that AC was one of the greatest American inventions….well he is right!!!!!!!! We already tried cold water and jumped into the Ocean and its friggin 90!!!!!! So a cold pool and $70 bucks a night at playa Azul San Filipe it is! Security for the bike is number one here. This bike is worth more then most of the locals make in 5 years, so a safe place for her to sleep is paramount! She got it and we over spent for our room!
Four hours in the pool and a light dinner of fish and shrimp tacos….Yummm.

PICS!
http://1goodbeer.smugmug.com/photos/...47_Zxi4o-M.jpg

http://1goodbeer.smugmug.com/photos/...59_ZDJXe-M.jpg

http://1goodbeer.smugmug.com/photos/...98_8Fd67-M.jpg

http://1goodbeer.smugmug.com/photos/...30_4e9zH-M.jpg

http://1goodbeer.smugmug.com/photos/...30_4e9zH-M.jpg

Marin County To Cabo!

Dogtown screwed with this post 07-29-2009 at 09:38 PM
Old 07-17-2009, 07:29 AM   #36
Dogtown OP
Gnarly Adventurer

San Filepe to Coco's

San Filipe to Coco’s Corner

This was it. This was the one day of the trip so far that I will never forget. We leave San Filipe fairly early and follow another Adventure riders (Crashmaster) waypoints and tracks on the gps. The road takes us south on Mex 5 and as the road ends the adventure begins. I rode dirt bikes when I was a kid, but most of my motorcycling has been road racing and sport bikes. Within a mile I almost drop the bike twice. The road is a cross from baby head rocks, deep gravel, deep sand and everything in between. I’m worried that I’ve made a mistake by taking this route two up and with gear. I had Jen get off in one spot , after my front tire was plowing and I didn’t feel confident enough gassing it out. I’m running Perrelli Scorpions that are duel sport tires but not made for a Baja 1000 Route. It acts like more of a ski then a tire, so that’s what I treat it as. Max speed for us here was about 30 miles per hour and it was well over a hundred degrees. The views on the other hand where absolutely spectacular! The rocky cliffs, the turquoise blue water, the white sand beaches and all the different colors of the Mexican Desert. You are so far out there at this point, and the area makes you feel like you’re the only two people in the world. Could also be that we hadn’t seen anyone about four hours. I had gotten more comfortable with my riding and could easily make it through sand pits that had given me trouble before. All is good and we hit the first Pemex and fill up. We thought about staying at Alfonsenason the beach but decided to go another 35km on the dirt to have a beer with Coco, the Baja Legend. We roll into Coco’s at about three and pop the coldest beer I have ever had in my life. For those of you who don’t know Coco he’s a double amputee that lives in this incredible harsh environment by himself and sells beer and Baja stories to passers by. Then we had another beer,….. and another,…… then some tequila (me, not Coco, he wont touch the stuff). Coco also lets you camp at his place and that was our plan after the top popped on my second Cerveza. Guerra Negro was too far to make this after noon and talking to Coco was way too cool. We rolled out our thermarests on the back of one of Coco’s flat beds ate chow , and watched the stars. Coco has beer cans tied to his fence line and listening to the breeze jingle through them all night, and the events and scenes of the day made it an absolute surreal moment.

Pics to come Slow Connection!!

Marin County To Cabo!
Old 07-17-2009, 07:32 AM   #37
Dogtown OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Coco's to San Ignacio

Coco’s to San Ignacio

We woke up early, made some coffee and said our “good by’s and thank you’s” to Coco. Another hour of off roading and we would hit the hardball and get some wind in our helmets. After the crash across the boarder I forgot to buy our Tourist Visas and was worried about the check point in Guerra Negra. Crashmaster gave me an alternate route around it so I punched it up in my GPS and hit the track. It ended up there working on that road and its about 6 inches deep in sand and I just wasn’t up to the task. I turned back and decided to tell them I was sorry for not getting the visas and ask if we could buy them now. We ended up driving right through with no problems. Mex 1is the typical Baja interstate. Narrow lanes, one in each direction, Vado’s for water moving from one side of the road to the other that are like steep deep dips in the road and NO shoulders to roll off to for and emergency. We have easily passed 2000 memorials on the sides of the road from people dieing in crashes. Literally every time the road has a turn in it there will be a memorial erected from a death. The Semi’s drive at no less then 80 and when they pass you going the other direction only a few feet from your bike it takes a bit of getting use too. We get into San Ignacio and cruz into the little town to grab some cold ones and check out the old Mission. We stayed the night in a Yurt on the river there under palm trees. Very cool place, Ignacio springs Bed and Breakfast, highly recommend it. Gary and his wife are Canadians that moved down here 8 years ago and are the most hospitable hotel owners we have met. The river had big fish swimming right up to you and a cold dip felt unbelievable. We met another Canuck while at the Mission that had ridden his Bicycle here from Vancouver and was on his way down to Cancun….WOW!
We ate at a great Sea food place and will try to get an early start in the morning for an unknown destination. We would have to ride most of the day to make it to Cabo tomorrow. We really don’t want to stay in Cabo, Just pass through it and get out “did it“ card. We would like to stay in Todos Santos which is just north of Cabo, soooo………?????
The best thing about traveling like this, is seeing all the places that “us” Americans rarely see because an international airport is not within a few hundred miles of them We have rarely seen American Tourists. Most of the people we have met are all Mexicans on family vacations at unbelievable beautiful little towns. Good stuff!!

http://1goodbeer.smugmug.com/photos/...19_2puWe-M.jpg

http://1goodbeer.smugmug.com/photos/...99_FXYSa-M.jpg

http://1goodbeer.smugmug.com/photos/...59_nnrYH-M.jpg

http://1goodbeer.smugmug.com/photos/...57_Z2hFf-M.jpg

http://1goodbeer.smugmug.com/photos/...36_WPN6m-M.jpg

http://1goodbeer.smugmug.com/photos/...39_bmZxJ-M.jpg

http://1goodbeer.smugmug.com/photos/...21_oRu8E-M.jpg

Marin County To Cabo!

Dogtown screwed with this post 07-18-2009 at 01:00 AM
Old 07-17-2009, 09:30 AM   #38
crashmaster
ow, my balls!

Awesome, good to see you are having a great time. I thought you were going to pick up a knobby front tire before you crossed the border?

No matter, FWIW the dirt to Gonzaga doesnt have deep sand, its just a dusting. If you thought the sand was deep on that road, its probably a good thing that you didnt go to San Francisquito and El Arco.

Old 07-17-2009, 11:04 AM   #39
Jedi5150
Road Warrior

Oddometer: 558
I've been interested in doing this ride too, so I'm looking forward to following along.

As a side note, I've found a way that I think is easier than cutting and pasting from Word to do ride reports before the log-off timer runs out. I write the ride report and add pictures and don't pay any attention to how long it takes. Then before I click the "submit" button I simply open up a new window of advrider and log on with that window. Then I go back to my ride report window and click "submit". No worries about logging off and no hassle with cutting and pasting from another program.
Jedi5150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2009, 12:15 PM   #40
Davis53
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 548
This is a good read.
R90/6
TW200
KTM300EXC
KDX200
Davis53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2009, 12:29 PM   #41
rubberneck
Area Man

Oddometer: 28
Wow...

You've got yourself a keeper...

I'll be taking off from SF on my 07 990 ADV tomorrow for NV, UT, CO and plan to be following in your Cabo tire-tracks come November or so. Good times.
Old 07-17-2009, 10:44 PM   #42
Dogtown OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Crashmaster

Yo Crashmaster

I couldnt find a tire and was just wanting to get there! sooooo no knobby! Once the asphalt ended after San Filipe the first 5 miles are all new side roads, while they rebuild the new roads. Basicly they plow with a tractor and lay down what ever gravel or rocks they can find. Deep get off the bike and it stands on its own type of thing. That road from San Filipe to Cocos is so in the middle of no where, and with no extra bike to get help that I was fully in "extra safe" mode. Literally there is no one in Baja right now! Coco hasent seen anyone in close to a month. But,!!! FUN FUN FUN and I couldnt have done it this far with out your maps and waypoints!!!! Thank YOU!!!!!!!!

Sean

Marin County To Cabo!
Old 07-17-2009, 11:14 PM   #44
crashmaster
ow, my balls!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dogtown
Yo Crashmaster

I couldnt find a tire and was just wanting to get there! sooooo no knobby! Once the asphalt ended after San Filipe the first 5 miles are all new side roads, while they rebuild the new roads. Basicly they plow with a tractor and lay down what ever gravel or rocks they can find. Deep get off the bike and it stands on its own type of thing. That road from San Filipe to Cocos is so in the middle of no where, and with no extra bike to get help that I was fully in "extra safe" mode. Literally there is no one in Baja right now! Coco hasent seen anyone in close to a month. But,!!! FUN FUN FUN and I couldnt have done it this far with out your maps and waypoints!!!! Thank YOU!!!!!!!!

Sean
I yes, I keep forgetting that they are grading the shit out of the road to prep for pavement. They were making pretty quick progress a couple months ago. When I take the 990 on that road I tend to do some stupid shit, like going 100 mph. Good on ya for being in safe mode, your wife will thank you I'm sure!

You are hitting things in the lowest of the low season in Baja. Normally on the road to Gonzaga and Coco's you see quite a few other bikes and almost get clipped by a few trucks as well.

Very cool that you camped out at Coco's. He is quite the character.

Take your time, enjoy the ride. The East Cape road that follows much of the coast over to San Jose del Cabo is a great ride. Once you get to Todos, things will be a little cooler on the pacific side, but still hot. Great little cabinas for rent at San Pedrito RV park a few miles south of Todos, or you can camp there as well. There' some fine eateries in Todos as well. Cant wait to hear your impression of Cabo. Ride through fast and and dont stop unless you need something from Costco would be my recommendation.

I'm still laughing about you sliding the bike right through the checkpoint at TJ. That's some funny shit right there, classic!

crashmaster screwed with this post 07-17-2009 at 11:36 PM
Old 07-17-2009, 11:49 PM   #45
Dogtown OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Crashmaster

The slide across the boarder has to be on some Security camera at the boarder some where right?????
Today some where south of Loretto a crazy dude in a Toyota civic Tokyo drifted right into our lane in one of those tight mountain passes. Don't they see all the monuments of casualties on the road sides??? Loco!!!!

Working on the next RR and loading up pics.

Marin County To Cabo!

Dogtown screwed with this post 07-18-2009 at 01:01 AM