Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-17-2009, 11:03 PM   #46
Dogtown OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 406
Quote:
Originally Posted by rubberneck
You've got yourself a keeper...

I'll be taking off from SF on my 07 990 ADV tomorrow for NV, UT, CO and plan to be following in your Cabo tire-tracks come November or so. Good times.

Say Hi to Coco for us and get some knobbies for the road from San Filipe!!

Marin County To Cabo!
Dogtown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2009, 12:10 AM   #47
Dogtown OP
Gnarly Adventurer

San Ignacio to La Paz

NOTE: Anyone that read a few days and ago and didnt get my pics from the other entries. I loaded them up as an edit to those entries.....So go check em out!!

SI TO LA PAZ
Long ride today. about 9 hours in the saddle. The views changed from Sea of Cortez to Pacific I don’t know how many times but it was all good. Jen is an absolute trooper on the back and doesn’t complain about a dam thing. She will defiantly be up for a TDF trip and a World trip.... We are just about at our turn around and are well down Baja in La Paz. This place is real nice. It feels touristy but the only people here are Mexicans. Its funny, but when we stop for food or gas we really don’t give a dam that we stink or look like homeless people. People are just interested in where we have come from, where we are going and what the hell we’re ridding. Today we stopped in Loretto to fill the tanks and get some lunch, before another 4 hours of ridding. We filled up and a guy sold us a civiche lunch and drinks out of the back of his car at the gas station. I would never buy uncooked fish and eat it out of the back of some dudes car at home, but here it seamed like a treat. It was sooooooo good and gave us what we needed to get to La Paz. The one thing that Jen and I have noticed is what the trip is doing to our bodies. No working out, Yoga or cycling......Just sitting on the bike and then drinking Cerveza at the end of the day. Our Caloric intake is not huge, but we can both tell that muscle and fat is moving around and switching places on our bodies. Hummmm? Small price to pay for this adventure and well get it all worked out later. We passed some unbelievable places on our way down. Just past Mulege’there are some beautiful “blue lagoon” type of spots that I had to fight myself not to stop at. White sand beaches and a turquoise blue water out as far as you can see! Looks like you can camp under a Palapa right on the beach. I think we will stop on our way back up.
We got into La Paz and took in some Sol cerveza and Camerones Diablo (another one of my favorites) We looked up El Arcos which was highly recommended by Don of Scuderia and the place is closed. Bummer, we ask our waiter and he gives us the name of a place. We look along the Malacon for rooms and nothing is safe enough for the bike, so we head to La Concha. Very timeshare type of place but we are again almost the only Americans. We check in for just under $100 bucks and jump into the Sea of Cortez! Ohhhh yea!! 9 hours on the bike 1,520 miles from home and all is good. We order Pacifico’s and Tacos pescados and are happy!
The bike was finally opened up on the Mexican highway today. Triple digits where easy but we still had some wind, Goats and Cows crossing the road in strange areas. Viva Mexico!!!!!

http://1goodbeer.smugmug.com/photos/...57_kc8ch-M.jpg

Marin County To Cabo!
Old 07-18-2009, 09:31 PM   #48
Dogtown OP
Gnarly Adventurer

La Paz to Lands end and turn north

La Paz to Todos Santos.

We decided last night that we would take an easy ride today, get to lands end , have a celebratory Cereza and get the hell out of Cabo. Cabo is fine, but you ride into town and see mega resorts, Hard Rock Café and Starbucks. I like that stuff, just not on this trip. So the plan was to spend the night in Todos Santos. We left after a light breakfast and pointed south for the last few hours of our trip. We clear a few small mountain passed as the sun starts to heat us up. Everyone told us the further south the mucho caliente. The bike starts to handle strange and I ask Jen if she’s wiggling around. No! Hummmmmm? As my speed is decreased to figure out what’s going on I get passed by a truck on a blind curve. WTF!!!! Lucky for us there is actually a shoulder in this part of the road….one of maybe 5 on Mex 1. We pull over and I hear that sound SSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS! Fuc! Fuc!!! Fuc!!!!!!!!! Were on some mountain pass between La Paz and Cabo and I have a flat. Preparing for this trip I read about what to bring and all that BS. Well, I have the gear to fix this if the heat, banditos or truck divers don’t Kill us first. Any of you that ride a KTM 950 or 990 know that there are tons of threads telling you how difficult it is to break the bead on the rear tire. I was more then a bit nervous about this and my ER nurse wife could tell. “What’s up you get flats on the Bicycle all the time lets fix it” she says. Wow! Good attitude Jen! I also remember everyone saying to make sure the first time you pop your tire off you do it at home, not on the trail. Well this was my first time, so here we go. Bag off, Boxes off, tools out, tube out, wheel off. Ok that’s the easy part. I friggin knew I should of bought that expensive, heavy bead breaker clamp thing instead of this motion pro plastic thing that looks like a kids shovel!! FUC! FUC!!! FUC!!!!
I set the wheel and tire on the boxes grab my blue kids shovel looking thing and hit it with a rock to try to break the bead. First of all, I have read threads here of people taking 4 hours to brake the rear bead. I was ready to use the kickstand method if my plastic $19 blue tool didn’t work. FUC why didn’t I buy that $120 expensive one! Ahhhhhh two good whacks with my rock onto my Smurf tool and the bead is broken. OK sweet! Bead broke, tube out, but I failed to mention I didn’t find the cause of the flat. well I pump the tube up and see that the tube has a strange series of holes in it. I did find a cut in the tire but the holes in the tube don’t match the hole in the tire. I do notice that the tube has been out of the tire for about 10 minutes now and is still real hot. Hummmmm? Ok, I think what happened is, after I took air out for the dirt about 32 rear, 29 front. I never refilled back up to 40 psi and it overheated the tube and melted the thing. Please chime in if anyone has another Idea or cause. I still have a long way home and I do not want to do this again. The rear rim and tire where getting really hot as I check them at fill ups but kept saying “crap, I’ll pull my home made tiny compressor out to fill them up at the next stop, I cant do it here, what if it doesn’t work and it sucks out all of the air out of my tire instead of filling it!”
The short of it was that everything worked, and we where back on the road within and hour. I just couldn’t wrap my head around the fact that heat generated by a under inflated, loaded down bike melted my tube. Will it happen again? And what about that half inch gash in the tire?
After our ceviche, rice, beans and celebratory Cerveza in Cabo. we tried to track down a tube and possibly a new tire for the rear. Baja Motor sports is closed and we looked all over for the BMW dealer ship and couldn’t find it. I really wanted to stick by the rule of “no riding at night in Mexico, so we really had to take off for Todos Santos. I have a front tube that I can use in the rear in an emergency, so off we went North for the first time of the trip! The bike felt great and with the extra pressure in the tires is handling better then ever. The heat is not being generated in the tire or rim but is still hotter then the front. Normal?? I took a pic of the gash so I can monitor it at stops.
I have a camping place down that “Crashmaster” has given me but it is still hot as a Mo Fo. Todos Santos is really nice. Possibly the coolest town we have been too yet. The town still has very old 1700’s type mission buildings mixed in with some cool Mexi style Nuevo. Not sure if that’s a real style, but this is the sort of place you could hang out in for a long time. We role around town and what is open doesn’t look safe for the bike. Out front parking stuff. We head back the way we came, to hit the camp area, and the wife spots a sign, “boutique hotel right on the beach” . We follow the signs and I think its leading us to this vampire village that we are gunna get slaughtered at. Nope, Wrong, This place is top notch and beautiful. On the beach, great rooms, salt water pool and stunning in every way. Off season rates where way affordable at $135. Posada Lo Poza. Very , very nice! Go see that place! They let me bring the bike into a secure area too. Big ride day tomorrow as we head north and home!

http://1goodbeer.smugmug.com/photos/...48_3HtK3-M.jpg

http://1goodbeer.smugmug.com/photos/...11_24qgf-M.jpg

http://1goodbeer.smugmug.com/photos/...28_bams5-M.jpg

http://1goodbeer.smugmug.com/photos/...32_fSo3P-M.jpg

http://1goodbeer.smugmug.com/photos/...66_EuFa5-M.jpg

http://1goodbeer.smugmug.com/photos/...15_nzoL9-M.jpg

http://1goodbeer.smugmug.com/photos/...73_oYyr3-M.jpg

Marin County To Cabo!

Dogtown screwed with this post 07-19-2009 at 05:55 AM
Old 07-19-2009, 06:09 PM   #49
Gluaisrothaí
Feckin' gobshite

Oddometer: 547
Insurance

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dogtown
I got a 10 day policy for $42 from Adventure Mexico.
I did see cheaper quotes than mexinsure, but I paid for full cover with rescue back to US soil. Fortunately I didn't need it.
2010 FJ Cruiser Trail Teams
2013 Tesla Model S 85kWh
Gluaisrothaí is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2009, 06:19 PM   #50
Gluaisrothaí
Feckin' gobshite

Oddometer: 547
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dogtown
La Paz to Todos Santos.

We decided last night that we would take an easy ride today, get to lands end , have a celebratory Cereza and get the hell out of Cabo. Cabo is fine, but you ride into town and see mega resorts, Hard Rock Café and Starbucks. I like that stuff, just not on this trip.......
Awesome trip so far Dogtown, I'm enjoying the read. I hope you get a chance to spend some more quality time in Loretto, Mulege, San Ygnacio or Santa Rosalia on your way back home. Tough luck getting that puncture; I absolutely dread the day I have to break a rear bead roadside. You obviously have the perfect partner with you: tolerant, confident and supportive!

Beat of luck,

Ken
2010 FJ Cruiser Trail Teams
2013 Tesla Model S 85kWh
Gluaisrothaí is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2009, 06:58 AM   #51
Dogtown OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Flat

Yea,

I've had some desert survival training years ago and I guess knowing what can go wrong in these environments and stories about people dehydrating and getting heat stroke or exhaustion keeps you on your toes. The tire was one worry but the environment and working to get it fixed without shade was a bigger worry. All adds to the fun though.

Jen Is absolutely the best travel/life partner in the world! She has always had a knack of keeping me level headed in challenging situations!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gluaisrothaí
Awesome trip so far Dogtown, I'm enjoying the read. I hope you get a chance to spend some more quality time in Loretto, Mulege, San Ygnacio or Santa Rosalia on your way back home. Tough luck getting that puncture; I absolutely dread the day I have to break a rear bead roadside. You obviously have the perfect partner with you: tolerant, confident and supportive!

Beat of luck,

Ken

Marin County To Cabo!
Old 07-21-2009, 07:07 AM   #52
Dogtown OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Todos Santos to??

Todos Santos to Catavina (SP)

Phew! Huge Iron butt day with ten, yes ten hours on the bike. We where wanting to reach Catavinia north of Guerra Negro but the darkness came too soon and we only made it too San Ignacio. I don’t have HID’s so I’m not taking the chance riding at night. Literally, cows we saw walking down the road on our way down where now rotting on the side of the road dead two days later from vehicles. Its hard enough to ride the bike at speed, watch the road, watch for oil, watch for loco truck drivers, watch for drunk drivers (which we saw today trying to kiss our rear tire after we passed him), looking for cows, dogs, goats and horses that like to graze by the side of the road and get to the other side from time to time, watch for blind turn roll overs in the middle of the road (which we saw today), watch for tow trucks hauling off crushed vehicles by completely blocking the road and using no warning flares or cones (which we also saw today) that there was absolutely no way I was gunna put another variable into the mix of darkness. So. We couldn’t help but run back to Ignacio springs B and B and our old pals Terry and Gerry. Every time we decide not to camp we come up with a super good reason. This time it was “hay we wont even unload the bike! Well just shower sleep and leave early for another 10 hours to the boarder. We have to be back to Marin by Tuesday pm or we both turn into pumpkins.
When we got back to San Ignacio we went to grab our fist meal since Todos Santos and breakfast. We eat Scallops and drink ice cold Cerveza. As were sitting outside, two BMW’s roll in and from across the square and are checking out our KTM. Hummmm KTM envy? Ones riding two up on an f800 and the other on an 90’s 1100 I think. I am not leaving my cold beer but make sure they don’t grope her too much. I finally catch their eye and wave them over. Its really the first riders we have seen down here so I’d love to chat with them. The two up rider is heading down to Argentina and the single is spending two weeks in Baja. I really wanted to chat with the riders going to Argentina and there planning and such but we where just eating and he needed to hit the internet café. We had plans to stop by there camp site after eating and showering but we where not getting back on the bike tonight! One of his panniers had
‘go penguin.com” on it so I’ll check it out when we get home. It was great talking to him for the short time cause you get the sense of what it would be like to do a truly long ride. They will be gone for a year on a trip from NY to Argentina. They have been in SI for 3 days just chillin and plan to hit Santa Rosalia next for a few days. Santa Rosalia? didn’t we just pass that 2 hours ago coming back up? That’s what’s so cool about having all that time. We have 10 days to go from The North coast of California to the tip of Baja and back and only get afternoons and evenings to check out the towns. Still very cool but in fast forward.
Jen was unbelievable today and was totally ready to do another 3 hours to get to Catavinia, but I had that vibrating feeling similar to being on a boat all day and just wasn’t going to risk it. You would think that all the hard miles would turn us both off to ever doing this again, but its all were both talking about! We cant wait to start planning our next trip……we cant wait to see our daughter first and foremost!!!! But we cant wait to ride somewhere else!
Tomorrow to Cali!

Marin County To Cabo!
Old 07-21-2009, 07:45 AM   #53
Dogtown OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Cali

San Ignacio to Cali

What a day! We rode about 12 hours today and crossed the boarder back into the US. A lot of the stuff we rode today was new for us cause we cut over to mex 3 and 5 on the way down. The roads where wider safer and faster the more north we got. The one big run between Pemex stations that we had gotten barrel gas from on the way down. I passed up on the way up. The guy charged me about three times the cost of the fuel and Jen was worried about putting fuel from a rusty jug into our baby. We drove on to Catavinia to get fuel and there barrel gas guys where all out. Hummmm? I’ve gone 80 miles and I’ve got about another 80 to go to get to a Pemex station in Rosalia. I can make it! The max range for me loaded is about 180miles before the reserve light comes on. I’ve been fighting a mean head wind and climbing through passes and riding very fast so fuel economy is likely lower then this. I hit the reserve with about 30 miles to Rosalia so I pulled over and put my two emergency sigg bottles in. that should do it. It did but I wouldn’t have made it with out them. The landscape started looking more and more like California and I started getting a lump in my throat realizing were leaving Mexico and ending our trip.
The boarder crossing was uneventful. Where have you been? What’s in your bags? What are you bringing back?
I thought to myself on the way back up about the fact that our gear has about 2500 miles of road dirt and grime on it and when we pull into a restaurant in San Diego they might not be as accepting of us as the towns and villages of Baja. Not sure what everyone thought at the old town San Diego restaurant we went to and we didn’t really care either. It was a little weird seeing more Americans then Mexicans. The restaurant was full of Mexican staff that all the American patrons where barking out orders to. “Hey dude , more chips!” “amigo! Can I please get another beer!” “listen I told the waiter I was lactose intolerant”! All kinds of demands and orders. I think when Americans are in foreign countries they’re on they’re best behavior and back home we just want our stuff and we want it now! I’m sure I’m the same way. I guess you get a bit of culture shock when you return home on a ten day trip.
So last night out and we decide lets camp! We Google camping and find a campground within 5 miles. Sweet! Aaaaaa, this place is weird. Campland by the bay. Holy cow! We go in a guard gate and to reception. Its dark so we cant really see what the place looks like. We need a shower and to chill out so were staying no matter what. The guy tells us camping for two and the bike in there “primitive” area is $45. We both giggle about how much they charge to camp but even if it was more we where done for the night and we where staying here. The dude says “ ok, your right past the skate park in #7, here’s your log in and password for internet service. Wait, What? Where the hell are we? Am I being “Punked? Where is that Ashton Kutcher bitch? This place is like nothing I have ever seen. Huge Rv’s, Kids driving around their folks golf carts and nicely aligned campsites with fire rings right near the asphalt. This was camping with training wheels! Just something to get the locals use to the great outdoors. The “primitive” site we where at had lines of cars backed in, tents behind them, and picnic tables with fire rings behind them right off the road. Every Picnic table had a laptop on it with someone answering emails or taking care of biz. The strangest campground I have ever seen but it fit our needs for the night.
Slabin it up I-5 in the AM

Marin County To Cabo!
Old 07-21-2009, 10:34 PM   #54
Dogtown OP
Gnarly Adventurer

SD to Woodacre

Well anyone that knows I-5 in California Knows it's a straight line highway. I'm still a bit worried about the tire and the temps the rear wheel and tire are up to at stops but everything seams fine. Wind has been an issue, and Jenn is already worried about the Altamont. Traffic in SD and LA sucked and we burned 3-3.5 hours just getting north of LA. I-5 was 80 mph or for me top gear and hold her at 4 and a half RPM. Its funny but on this trip I used my tack way more then my Speedo. With the extreme heat it was all i could do to at least keep the revs down.
Altamont pass blew us around good but we crossed it and figured we should eat dinner before we got home. We pulled into our local pub and got a table with a view of the bike that has treated us so well for the last 10 days. We went in and ordered some local hand made ales and some Ahi. We are in Fairfax which is the last town before you get to our unincorporated town of Woodacre. Fairfax is Mayberry on Acid. total 60's wannabees that will spend $400 bucks on an organic meal and bitch at you because you left your Flag up two days after Memorial day and the sound it makes is interrupting there meditation. To spite the wannabees it's still a super cool town that is active, healthy, has great coffee and is the birthplace of the mountain bike. So we sit there in our grubby 3800+ mile riding gear and sip our fresh ale and munch our ahi. There is a huge group around our bike that I keep one eye on at all times. I guess the bike dressed as she is, is kinda impressive. Its just weird were getting more attention in our own town then we have during our entire trip. Some people in the group leave and other join in. By the time we are finished there are still about 7 guys out around the bike. As I walk up I tell them all looking is free but touching will cost you! One of them says "what is that and where is it made?". "its a KTM, It's made in Austria". He replies, "Wow I have an Australian friend! "Cool" I tell him, and could tell they have all been drinking since "happy hour".
We drive the rest of the way home and reflect on the great Baja adventure we have just endured. Travel is something that you keep forever, and I will never forget this first trip I spent there. We meet my Mom (who has been taking great care or our home and animals while we where gone) and try to decompress and chill out.

I will load an album link to all our photos from the trip as well as a wrap up. Thanks for the 2550 and counting views of our Ride Report.

Cheers!

Marin County To Cabo!

Dogtown screwed with this post 07-22-2009 at 07:37 AM
Old 07-22-2009, 09:10 PM   #55
crashmaster
ow, my balls!

Oddometer: 4,889
Stoked that you had a great Baja experience. There's lots more to explore though, you just scratched the surface.

Knobbies and less weight, and you will be ready for the fun stuff.

crashmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2009, 09:17 AM   #56
Dogtown OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Next time

Quote:
Originally Posted by crashmaster
Stoked that you had a great Baja experience. There's lots more to explore though, you just scratched the surface.

Knobbies and less weight, and you will be ready for the fun stuff.

Yup! I'm leaving the camp gear and cooking gear at home! It's all "ultra light" backpacking stuff but it all adds up! That Scorpion front is absolutly worthless in the lightest bit of sand, so knobbies it is! Thanks again for all your help Vince!

Marin County To Cabo!

Dogtown screwed with this post 08-01-2009 at 08:05 PM
Old 08-01-2009, 09:08 PM   #57
Dogtown OP
Gnarly Adventurer

home.......

Ok were home. Today I rode the bicycle in the "Marin Century" (yea century means 100) and we've been getting back into the swing of things. Jen is still officially on Vacation for another week but took a few shifts in the ER for some extra cash. Baja is still a warm fuzzy feeling for both of us and so is a nice hug from our daughter Skylar! The first week back has been Soccer camp for Skye work for me, workouts for Jen and me and just getting back into the groove.
We are soo ready to go back down to Baja but are talking about riding from SF Cali to NY next year. The Camerone y Pescado Tacos wont be as good but I understand that there are places in the south that put gravy on everything.....
A TDF trip is defiantly gunna happen in 8 years when Skye goes to college so we have the jar on the dresser now to start saving!

Here is a rundown of the trip:

1) 10 days is just not enough! Three weeks would be perfect!
2) The KTM ran absolutely flawless!!!!!
3) The Perelli Scorpions need to be left in Cali and a good set of Knobbies are paramount!
4) the camp gear is still up for discusion....We love the Idea of dropping camp ANYWHERE! but the fact is. the extra 40 lbs is debilitating off road. Cheep Lodging is available throughout and even if we needed to sleep out temps are high enough to do it in whatever you got on!
5) My Spanglish needs work but Jen speaks like a local!
6) Fewer miles per day and more Chill time. (See number 1)
7) More off roading in the south to visit some old and rarely seen Missions
8) more camping on "blue lagoon" type beaches.
9) Bring a 15mm open end wrench....the KTM Kit doesn't have one and the valve stem lock nut is one! Pliers work, but come on MAN!!

Heres about 600+ photos to check out.

http://www1.snapfish.com/thumbnailsh...NAME=snapfish/

http://www1.snapfish.com/thumbnailsh...NAME=snapfish/

Marin County To Cabo!
Old 05-09-2010, 09:01 AM   #58
Hotmamaandme
Wishing I was riding RTW

Oddometer: 2,580
Aint Baja great

Glad to see more couples taking a trip into Baja. Great job.

Jimmy Lewis quote: "Those KLRs are full of potential. Just takes a rider..."
Hotmamaandme is offline   Reply With Quote