User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-26-2012, 04:52 PM   #1531
jas67
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 792
1971 CB175 running with title for $175

I got a '71 CB175 for $175 (+ about $46 in fuel to go get it) -- it's rough, but $175, running w/ a title -- how can you say "No"?

The good:
Title
Runs pretty well -- starts very easily and quickly
Tires in good shape
Spare parts : tacho drive, coils, Haynes Manual, carb rebuild kit

The bad:
Cosmetically, the whole thing is quite rough
Rear fender is salvageable, mufflers might be, but will be far from perfect
Front fender has been cut
Side covers crap
Tank needs to be stripped and painted, it decent on the inside (creamed -- note to self, add inline filters)
Engine leaks oil somewhere around the head. Tacho drive not working, but spare included, as well as spare coils, and a Haynes manual

More pics can be seen here:
http://home.comcast.net/~bmwmtech/CB175/

Oh, and I also got a non-running, non-titled Hodaka Ace 90 (rough, but has a spare engine) from the same seller for $75:
http://www.2strokeworld.com/forum/in...?topic=15450.0
Honda: 01 VFR800, 93 VFR400R(NC30), plus many vintage Hondas.
Scooters: 2007 Vespa GTS250ie, 2009 Kymco Agility 125
jas67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2012, 05:00 PM   #1532
frogy
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 796
Rough,that looks like something you would find on a China road with mother,father,grandmother,children,and assorted chickens riding that thing...oh yea and a baby in the side case
frogy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2012, 05:15 PM   #1533
jas67
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by frogy View Post
Rough,that looks like something you would find on a China road with mother,father,grandmother,children,and assorted chickens riding that thing...oh yea and a baby in the side case
You talking about the Hodaka or the CB175?
Old 06-26-2012, 07:22 PM   #1534
TheReaper!
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 638
1985 Honda Nighthawk CB450SC

Bought this for $1,000 , it has less than 1900 actual miles on it . It has new
tires , carbs were cleaned , new battery and is rock solid as you would expect
with the amount of miles on it . It pretty much runs and handles like a new bike .
I have a windshield , tool pouch , tank bag and some re-painted Happytrail cases for it .
There is no rust on the exhaust and over all mechanically it really is like new .

The bad , it needs new fork seals and the front caliper pistons were gummed up .
It has some pitting on the aluminum as you would expect for a near 30 year old bike .

My plan is to use a bunch of left over stuff I have to make an adventure bike out of it .
I figure if any thing goes wrong on a trip I can leave it and fly home . It has just enough power
for the freeway and is light enough for gravel . Not a BMW adventure but for $1,000 Ill take it .

TheReaper! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 07:27 AM   #1535
frogy
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 796
Quote:
Originally Posted by jas67 View Post
You talking about the Hodaka or the CB175?
Your kidding right ? OK the Hodaka.
frogy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 09:49 AM   #1536
jas67
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by frogy View Post
Your kidding right ? OK the Hodaka.
I was hoping that is what you'd say, all the 175 would be good for a more well-to-do family
Old 06-27-2012, 10:46 AM   #1537
Mad Ratel
n00b

Oddometer: 2
Bought this last week with the help of another inmate I work with.

475 for a running yzf600r, bad 2nd gear. right now it needs:
handlebars/clipons, tank, some fairings, pegs, front brake lever, gear work, front headlight, and an upgrade to the R6 shock. etc...

hoping to have it up and running for around 1k. (first lot of parts from the yzf forum should come in under 100 and have everything I want except gears and headlight.)

what I am starting with:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Ratel

Hoping to be done with it looking like this:

more than likely, gunmetal/dark frame with orange or purple bodywork.
Mad Ratel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 02:13 PM   #1538
garrett the nerd
Sprocket Protector

Oddometer: 871
What in the hell is that crust applied to the tank?
Old 06-27-2012, 02:28 PM   #1539
Mad Ratel
n00b

Oddometer: 2
lol I honestly have NO idea.

ebay sells aftermarket covers for the tank so that you can have a pretty bike w/o painting the tank, all I can figure is that this bike had aftermarket fairings on with one of those tank covers included and it caught fire. "shrug"

bike runs great and if it has only just started to skip 2nd I can ride it until this fall then take it apart to fix.

I really wanted an fz8 but this fit more into my budget...

is that road rash three on your avatar?
Mad Ratel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 02:35 PM   #1540
Mambo Dave
Backyard Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,109
A kid who worked at the motorcycle shop I used to work at (who would later become a full-fledged mechanic there) used to own once of these. Now, it wasn't what he wanted, but it was all he could find that he could afford at the time. What he really always wanted was a sport-bike, but hadn't even ridden one yet at that time.

One day one of the other guys decided to let him ride his CBR900, and I went and followed with my ZX-7R on the back-roads of western PA. When we got back I offered to let the kid ride my ZX-7 while I rode his 450 Honda.

To this day I feel bad about what I had to do to that Nighhawk to make it keep up with the ZX-7R in the twisty roads, lol. Thankfully he wasn't experienced or I'd never have (almost) kept up, but the it seriously felt like I was bracing the NightHawk's frame with my body. The motor isn't what I felt bad about, it was the frame. The frame was twisting like a noodle (rear tire way off camber compared to the front), and I was trying to tense myself up as much as possible to help it try to keep lines through the turns which, I swear, helped, lol.

I still wonder how much I lessened the life of that bike's frame that day.

A great commuter, but my god... don't try to race on a 450 NightHawk.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheReaper! View Post
1985 Honda Nighthawk CB450SC

Bought this for $1,000 , it has less than 1900 actual miles on it . It has new
tires , carbs were cleaned , new battery and is rock solid as you would expect
with the amount of miles on it . It pretty much runs and handles like a new bike .
I have a windshield , tool pouch , tank bag and some re-painted Happytrail cases for it .
There is no rust on the exhaust and over all mechanically it really is like new .

The bad , it needs new fork seals and the front caliper pistons were gummed up .
It has some pitting on the aluminum as you would expect for a near 30 year old bike .

My plan is to use a bunch of left over stuff I have to make an adventure bike out of it .
I figure if any thing goes wrong on a trip I can leave it and fly home . It has just enough power
for the freeway and is light enough for gravel . Not a BMW adventure but for $1,000 Ill take it .

their motorcycles
." --
RyanR
Mambo Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 03:20 PM   #1541
garrett the nerd
Sprocket Protector

Oddometer: 871
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Ratel View Post
is that road rash three on your avatar?
yes it is
Old 06-27-2012, 03:37 PM   #1542
TheReaper!
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 638
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mambo Dave View Post
A kid who worked at the motorcycle shop I used to work at (who would later become a full-fledged mechanic there) used to own once of these. Now, it wasn't what he wanted, but it was all he could find that he could afford at the time. What he really always wanted was a sport-bike, but hadn't even ridden one yet at that time.

One day one of the other guys decided to let him ride his CBR900, and I went and followed with my ZX-7R on the back-roads of western PA. When we got back I offered to let the kid ride my ZX-7 while I rode his 450 Honda.

To this day I feel bad about what I had to do to that Nighhawk to make it keep up with the ZX-7R in the twisty roads, lol. Thankfully he wasn't experienced or I'd never have (almost) kept up, but the it seriously felt like I was bracing the NightHawk's frame with my body. The motor isn't what I felt bad about, it was the frame. The frame was twisting like a noodle (rear tire way off camber compared to the front), and I was trying to tense myself up as much as possible to help it try to keep lines through the turns which, I swear, helped, lol.

I still wonder how much I lessened the life of that bike's frame that day.

A great commuter, but my god... don't try to race on a 450 NightHawk.

Ya know what ? Mine tracks perfectly , actually like I said it runs like a new bike . I ordered a set of fork seals and dust covers for it and as far as I know that's going to be it . Fortunately the original owner stored it properly so there isn't a hell of a lot to do to make it road worth . I think it's going to make a really nice little adventure bike for very little money .
I really like the fact that it has a 6th gear / over drive , so it should cruise on the cheap . I have to say the more I drive this thing the more I'm pleased and impressed with it . For $1,000 and maybe a couple hundred more for the repairs , this is going to be a hell of a deal .

TheReaper!
TheReaper! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 04:16 PM   #1543
Mambo Dave
Backyard Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,109
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheReaper! View Post
Ya know what ? Mine tracks perfectly , actually like I said it runs like a new bike . I ordered a set of fork seals and dust covers for it and as far as I know that's going to be it . Fortunately the original owner stored it properly so there isn't a hell of a lot to do to make it road worth . I think it's going to make a really nice little adventure bike for very little money .
I really like the fact that it has a 6th gear / over drive , so it should cruise on the cheap . I have to say the more I drive this thing the more I'm pleased and impressed with it . For $1,000 and maybe a couple hundred more for the repairs , this is going to be a hell of a deal .

TheReaper!
I bet I could get it to track imperfectly but, again, you may not appreciate the wear and tear on the frame afterward.

His bike wasn't really that old back in the 1990's, it wasn't that it was broken, it was that when one steps on to on from a CBR900RR or a ZX-7R, in race leathers, and pushes it, that frame is gonna twist, and those wheels aren't gonna be aligned at all mid-turn.

I'd agree - it will make a great adventure bike to load down and just ride normally.
their motorcycles
." --
RyanR
Mambo Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 10:36 AM   #1544
Sean Smith
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 376
$1300 Suzuki

Just got this last weekend it runs great and the stock paint is holding up perfectly.
Old 06-28-2012, 10:37 AM   #1545
Sean Smith
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 376
Try again

Try this again