User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-22-2008, 03:22 PM   #1
shawmutt OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 41
Putting the "adventure" in "adventure tourer"

Or, the real reason I traded in my '05 Connie for my '07 Wee.

In way of introduction, I've had two bikes in as many years riding. Before '06, the only riding I did was on a mountain bike. I waited 30 years to finally get my first bike, and have been making up for it since. I commute to work every day, get "lost" often, and go on a ride a month with a group of guys from the Concours Owners Group (with a baby and another on the way, that's all I get ). Lately I've been exploring the new to me state of PA and looking for good fishing/hunting spots.

I've been a long time lurker of this site--you guys freakin' rock! I didn't feel worthy, so I never bothered registering and just looked at the great pictures and read the great stories. I still don't feel worthy, but my first "real" adventure gave me the balls to at least register

So my GPS was saving me gas money, until I started seeing all these squiggly lines on the side of the screen and riding out to investigate. I had a particularly stressful day at work today, so I decided to find another way home. I figured I'd go through Catoctin Mountain Park, so I punched it in the GPS and off I went.

Well, I missed a turn, and found that Gambril Park Road turned into gravel. My GPS isn't shy about leading me down gravel roads, so I slipped and slid down. As careful as I am on the roads, usually keeping it about 10 over the speed limit max, I'm a snail on gravel. I never rode dirt bikes, but did a little trail riding on a mountain bike, so all I know is to keep on my toes and prepared to fall at all times.

The gravel road turned out to be a long one, deep in the woods with a beautiful stream sweeping through. The trusty GPS kept me going further, until it told me to take a right onto another gravel road. That's when I saw this:

(Sorry for the crappy pics, all I had was my camera phone.)

I was headed downhill, and the road was too narrow to turn around. I remember perusing the stromtrooper forum, and seeing pictures and movie links of nuts transversing streams. One of the things I remembered was "just keep going". So...I just kept going, and made it across! The water went up over the bottom of my boots, so it was deeper than I thought, and about 10 feet wide.

I rode away hooping and hollering, but decided I needed a picture of the stream, so I turned around, rode back, and took the pics above. I hopped on and tried to back up and out...stuck. Only one way to go, and that was back across! Of course, now I was on the wrong side, so once more I rode across.

I emerged from that experience a new man. I was zooming along on the silly gravel road now, the little bumps and swerves nothing compared to the stream. I might go back tomorrow with my good camera [;)]

shawmutt screwed with this post 04-22-2008 at 03:32 PM
shawmutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2008, 03:50 PM   #2
GB
Mod Squad

Oddometer: 55,356
That's what the adventure is all about.. next time, always carry a camera!!
Old 04-24-2008, 01:51 PM   #3
West Coast Mags
Parlor Snake

Oddometer: 369
West Coast Mags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2008, 02:54 PM   #4
pluric
Gimpy Adventurer

Oddometer: 15,986
You will find the Strom can do anything your Connie could
and then some. Opens up a whole new riding relm.
Good luck on your stream crossings.
pluric is offline   Reply With Quote