User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-01-2004, 08:36 PM   #16
ktmnate
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,010
Luv2Lean & JimC,
My phone didn't ring. I got no e-mails. What, you forgot about me? Was it going over the bars on the GS? Was it just me? I'm tellen ya' all, there just aint no love.
ktmnate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2004, 09:06 PM   #17
luv2lean OP
not lost til out of gas

Oddometer: 960
Quote:
Originally Posted by ktmnate
Luv2Lean & JimC,
My phone didn't ring. I got no e-mails. What, you forgot about me? Was it going over the bars on the GS? Was it just me? I'm tellen ya' all, there just aint no love.
Talk to capt nemo - they only gave me one ticket!
luv2lean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2004, 09:12 PM   #18
lacrestadr
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 378
great divide basin

Hey L2L, What was the riding like in the "Great Divide Basin" portion of the ride through Wyoming??? And/or any other tips on the route between Helena MT. and Steamboat Springs would be geatly appreciated!! Thanks
lacrestadr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2004, 09:22 PM   #19
luv2lean OP
not lost til out of gas

Quote:
Originally Posted by lacrestadr
Hey L2L, What was the riding like in the "Great Divide Basin" portion of the ride through Wyoming??? And/or any other tips on the route between Helena MT. and Steamboat Springs would be geatly appreciated!! Thanks
The great divide basin was the last day I described. For the most part it was fast and smooth high desert with one section just south of Boulder Wy that was a little technical and hard to follow. Be sure to fill up before leaving Boulder cause there is no gas or much of anything til Rawlins - about 200 miles. I wouldnt want to get stuck out there without any water either. We did pass through a state park ghost-mining town in that section that looked real interesting, but it was raining and we were behind schedule so didnt stop.
Saw a couple dozen antelope in that section too. They sure can run!

luv2lean screwed with this post 08-01-2004 at 09:31 PM
Old 08-01-2004, 09:31 PM   #20
lacrestadr
Gnarly Adventurer

G Basin

Boulder WY?? I don't see it on the map. Technical as in hard to follow map, or tecnical as terrain. Thanks Again!
Old 08-01-2004, 09:33 PM   #21
lacrestadr
Gnarly Adventurer

I see

Got it, it's on the other map!!
Old 08-01-2004, 09:36 PM   #22
luv2lean OP
not lost til out of gas

Quote:
Originally Posted by lacrestadr
Boulder WY?? I don't see it on the map. Technical as in hard to follow map, or tecnical as terrain. Thanks Again!
Boulder is just south of Pinedale. Technical in that there is one sandy hill climb with some ruts that requires some dirt skill to negotiate. Otherwise the bicycle trail has a lot of unmarked turns in that same section just south of boulder where a GPS would be helpful. In any case you are not too far off the paved road at that point so it shouldnt be a big deal
Old 08-01-2004, 11:47 PM   #23
JimC
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,039
Blame L2L

Quote:
Hey Nate,

Sorry, we told L2L that he could invite anyone he wanted, and he said anybody but Nate!

Jim
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2004, 01:28 AM   #24
knary
sunshine and puppies

Oddometer: 29,314
Luv2lean,

GREAT stuff. I've got a mountain of questions for you. But I'll save them for when I meet you in person (soon). Keep 'em coming.

I'm a sucker for photos like this...

Go Jane Go - Analog Jane and her three chamber heart

Goodbye Toolfan
knary is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2004, 06:31 AM   #25
Atavist
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 123
Great photos and terrific report!

Two questions:

1. What was the cause of the pulled headbolt on Duane's R80? Curious if it was during maintenance (my guess) or it failed during operation?

2. Was the radiator failure on RCrabb's F650 the old "rock caught behind the radiator" thing or something else.

Thought about asking in a private message to you but figured there are others that are wondering too.

Thanks. DJR
Atavist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2004, 06:48 AM   #26
neduro
Addict

Oddometer: 11,761
Great report- Keep the updates coming!

Dual Sport Riding Techniques DVDs: Clear instructional DVDs to improve off-road skills.
neduro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2004, 09:07 AM   #27
Lobby
Viel Spass, Vato!

Oddometer: 27,257
Super report, L2L!

Man, you've just given me another mountain to climb. This would be an outstanding ride! Apparently, it was!
Lobby is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2004, 09:59 AM   #28
r_crabb
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 286
Great pics!

For the record, my cooling system problem was a blown water pump seal. The Daks have a history of problems with this part, but they usually seem to go around the 20K mile part. Since mine has 60K on it, and didn't show any trace of the problem until then, I thought it was OK. Wrong!

Skwerl's radiator did develop a leak, though, most likely from a rock strike.

And also for the record, here's a list of other things that went wrong with my bike during the trip.

Fork seals (both)-Yeah, I'm the one stupid and lazy enough to go without fork boots. I had replaced them about a month before the trip. No imperfections discovered on the fork tubes, but lotsa bugs smooshed themselves against my suspension parts on this trip.

Broken subframe mounting bolt (left side, lower mount)-discovered in my garage after a thorough washing. I guess that my subframe wasn't real fond of the thrashing I gave it. Hey JimC, how did yours look once you stripped off your bags, etc.?

And I started with a failed rear master cylinder (hence my trip to Big Sky BMW prior to the trip starting) and a bearing in my dogbone that had a little play in it. And I'm doing the 60K service this week. My BMW dealer really likes me (and my credit card) right now.

Cheers,

Robin
r_crabb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2004, 10:15 AM   #29
JimC
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,039
Questions

Quote:
Two questions:
1. What was the cause of the pulled headbolt on Duane's R80? Curious if it was during maintenance (my guess) or it failed during operation?
The headbolt pulled during operation. Duane asked around and found that while not common, this was a known problem on the early R80GS's. Duane has one very trick R80GS.

Quote:
2. Was the radiator failure on RCrabb's F650 the old "rock caught behind the radiator" thing or something else.
Robin's failure turned out to be the water pump seal. He had 57,000 hard miles on his F650 when it started leaking. I would probably not consider it an unusual occurrence based on the life his bike has led. He rides it like he stole it!

Skwerl's radiator leak could likely have been the "rock in the radiator guard".

Jim in Sacramento
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2004, 10:41 AM   #30
ktmnate
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,010
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimC
Hey Nate,

Sorry, we told L2L that he could invite anyone he wanted, and he said anybody but Nate!

Jim
Figures! Man I sure wish I could have been on that ride. Next time.
ktmnate is offline   Reply With Quote