Oddometer: 1,898
Viva Airheads! Great report!
Old 08-02-2004, 10:24 PM   #47
JimC
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,039
The End

The End!

This was an incredible trip, and the only problem with it was it ended to soon. I want to thank L2L for staying to the end. As he stated he made the decision to join us about a week before we left, and in Pinedale he debated heading home with Dave and Skewrl. Had he not stayed, my trip would have been over as well, as fate had dealt the other 4 riders who started the trip a poor hand. As it turns out L2L and I were treated to some of the best conditions and scenery of the trip those last 3 days.

We will go back and do this again, taking much more time to explore the hundreds and hundreds of side roads we passed every day. I recommend this trip to anyone who loves the moutains, beauty and solitude. I think the pictures we have posted tell the story better than we can. It is every bit as good as the pictures indicate.

Jim in Sacramento

JimC screwed with this post 08-02-2004 at 10:47 PM
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2004, 11:35 PM   #48
AFekete
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,208
Fantastic!!

I wanna do this ride. NJ sucks...

Great trip report and just awesome pictures...Jersey Sucks...

-A
AFekete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2004, 11:39 PM   #49
ktmnate
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,010
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimC
All I had left to photograph was L2L and he was only in photo range for brief moments after each stop. L2L really stands for Luv2Leave!! A couple of Red Bulls and a 2 lb Cinnimon Roll and L2L was nowhere to be seen!
Having riden with L2L, I know what you're talking about. That boy rides like the wind. I don't think I have ever seen L2L without his Red Bull!

ps - JimC, what happened to your 650?
ktmnate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2004, 11:53 PM   #50
JimC
Beastly Adventurer

F650 Problem

Quote:
Having riden with L2l, I know what you're talking about. That boy rides like the wind.
L2L is an incredibly skilled rider, I can't tell you how difficult some of the muddy sections were, and to watch him negotiate the mud on a fully loaded (overloaded) GS was a treat. Of course he could have lost about 40lbs if he'd left the Red Bull's behind.

Quote:
JimC, what happened to your 650?
The fan froze up on me, and with the radiator guards and fork gaiters, the bike overheated. The fan was suspect before I left and I wanted to replace it, but just ran out of time. I blame myself more than the bike for the problem. Other than this self inflicted problem the bike worked incredibly well in all conditions and and I averaged 60mpg for the entire trip.

Jim in Sacramento
Old 08-03-2004, 12:32 AM   #51
EELBOY
Ghost

Oddometer: 5
Thumb Great Report

I was jealous listening to you guys in Spokane. After reading your ride reports, I'm way past jealous. Maybe I should have tried the knobbies on the RT... Glad to hear you all made it home safe.

EELBOY
EELBOY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2004, 12:57 AM   #52
BUBB
lynch not Zimmerman

Oddometer: 20,676
Being from Alabama, my chances of taking a trip like are small. Thanks for the awesome pictures. I can dream can't I??

Due to that ride report, I'm thinking about a 650Gs and not a Gold Wing.

Ride on!

BUBB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2004, 01:01 AM   #53
BUBB
lynch not Zimmerman

Oddometer: 20,676
I may have missed it, but where can I get a map of the route?
BUBB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2004, 05:16 AM   #54
rapiti
IOR Veteran

Oddometer: 1,898
Quote:
Originally Posted by BUBB
I may have missed it, but where can I get a map of the route?
Here is a link to another CDR ride. If you scroll to the bottom, they have included links to several accounts/resources, including this thread.

Great report! Jim C, was there perceived or actual damage from overheating? Do you think it would have run hot on the pavement ride home? Just curious, as I'm having some thermostat issues on my KTM. I figure highway speeds reduce the importance of the fan. Of course I'm in Texas under an ozone watch due to the heat so I have my own set of problems. Thanks again to all of you for sharing your ride!
Old 08-03-2004, 05:17 AM   #55
BWalker
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 176
Laugh Maps?

JimC, I tried opening the GPS maps you posted on the web site but got the message they were done in a different version of MapSource....I believe you used Parks & Rec? I have TOPO & MetroGuide. Anyone have a suggestion?
I would like very much to do part if not all of this ride. I have read the book about doing it on mountain bikes but this would be the best way.
Pittsburg,Tx
BWalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2004, 07:13 AM   #56
sacto929
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 346
Quote:
Originally Posted by ktmnate
Having riden with L2L, I know what you're talking about. That boy rides like the wind. I don't think I have ever seen L2L without his Red Bull!
Ditto that. At least he stops to take pictures when you go over the bars....

That looks like an amazing trip guys! I'm sorry to hear that it ended early for so many of you, but that's just going to fuel the hunger to complete it next time.
Old 08-03-2004, 07:57 AM   #57
JimC
Beastly Adventurer

GPS Info

Quote:
I tried opening the GPS maps you posted on the web site but got the message they were done in a different version of MapSource....I believe you used Parks & Rec? I have TOPO & MetroGuide. Anyone have a suggestion?
I would like very much to do part if not all of this ride.
Giving all the credit to those that deserve it, the Adventure Cycling Bicycle Group has put together all the information you need to do any part of this trip. They can provide the book, detail maps and the GPS waypoints and routes. The GPS routes can be found here Adventure Cycling GPS data

Update to the most current version of Map Source and then import the .mps files. Works like a charm.

We found the GPS data to be very accurate and highly recommend you use a GPS and the waypoints if attempting this trip. We found the printed routes and maps much harder to use and not nearly as accurate as the GPS waypoints.

Jim in Sacramento
Old 08-03-2004, 07:57 AM   #58
OldPhart
Lurking Adventurer

Oddometer: 363
Great ride report and nice pictures! I've been planning on doing this ride, and this report just reinforces my desire! I've already got all the maps from Adventure Cycling.
Old 08-03-2004, 08:05 AM   #59
JimC
Beastly Adventurer

Overheating

Quote:
...was there perceived or actual damage from overheating? Do you think it would have run hot on the pavement ride home? ...... I figure highway speeds reduce the importance of the fan.
I don't anticipate any problems, as I stopped as soon as the temp light came on. When it overheated, I discovered that the radiator was down about 50%. I filled it up with water, removed the radiator guards and fork gaiters and was able to ride it 120 miles into Ely at highway speeds without further overheating, even without the fan. Because of the remoteness of the road between Ely and Reno and the high tempuratures we anticipated, I decided not to chance the ride and did the last 450mi of the trip in an air-conditioned UHaul.

Jim in Sacramento
Old 08-03-2004, 08:08 AM   #60
Gyromaniac
Betty Crocker w/ wrenches

Oddometer: 378
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimC
I recommend this trip to anyone who loves the moutains, beauty and solitude. I think the pictures we have posted tell the story better than we can. It is every bit as good as the pictures indicate.
Jim in Sacramento
Mountains, beauty, solitude, great pics and writeup . . .
you guys drew the royal flush this time! This is what makes this forum such a winner.

L2L: It was great meeting you at Spokane.