Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-11-2009, 04:16 PM   #16
edeher OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 129
i soaked the carb in the parts cleaner at work, took it apart and cleaned all the jets and cleaned and tank out and used fresh gas. It sounds like it wants to start but it just wont.
edeher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2009, 05:04 PM   #17
edeher OP
Gnarly Adventurer

got it to start again with some starter fluid and it will almost idle with some throttle assistance. But the exhaust pops ALOT and back fires ALOT.... and is still very hard to start and got hot very fast... Could this be electrical? Ive read the timing is automatically adjusted by the cdi or some electrical component. Or maybe a bad coil?? I noticed the spark plug adapter from the coil is cracked but i dont see how that could be doing this???
Old 07-11-2009, 05:48 PM   #18
edeher OP
Gnarly Adventurer

think i may have found the problem!!! I just put new gas in the tank but when i drained the carb just now the gas coming out was yellowish/ orange!!! the gas tank is comtaminating the gas and maybe causing all of this!!! is there any way i could use a glass jar as a gas tank just to try to start it?

(this guy had the tank coated inside with something and i believe messed the tank up!!!) maybe ill have to buy a new one.
Old 07-12-2009, 08:53 AM   #19
edeher OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Alright i have solved the problem...This has been like a log for me to post my toughts in more than anything, but thanks for who ever helped out. There is a fuel screw on each carb under the bowl that has to be turned out about 3/4 to 1 full turn for the bike to start and idle good. Here is a good sticky for anyone interested in knowing what it is and what it does and how to set it. It helped me out alot.

http://www.raptorforum.com/forums/sh...ad.php?t=47668

Now its time for jetting!!!!
Old 07-13-2009, 08:55 PM   #20
BIG ED XT FAN
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,198
Update?

You get it to run ? Fix the cable?
BIG ED XT FAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2009, 12:43 AM   #21
Greengo
Adventurer

Oddometer: 35
What size jets did you use and how does it run? i might try this on my xt.
Greengo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2009, 09:14 AM   #22
kan3
Adventurer

Oddometer: 87
Projects like this make an excellent case for a used a/f setup like an lc1 or something similar for ~$150. Would save you a lot of time.
kan3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2009, 06:59 PM   #23
edeher OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by kan3
Projects like this make an excellent case for a used a/f setup like an lc1 or something similar for ~$150. Would save you a lot of time.
Can you tell me more about the lc1 project...never heard of it.
Old 07-27-2009, 08:00 PM   #24
edeher OP
Gnarly Adventurer

just got it going real good....starts right up and idles perfect!!! revs good too

i ordered a new choke assembly and cleaned the choke tunnel with my pistol cleaner kit, worked very well... and i got a twist conversion kit for the raptor and that did it! Just have to cut the old air filter tubing from the xt and raptor and make some 50/50 trick there and get it to fit. If not some thinner and more flexible tubing may be easier.

ready to go riding!!! any thumpers in FL?

better pics next time

Old 07-28-2009, 04:44 PM   #25
edeher OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Took my first test drive and it pops alot on decelerating.....the other thing i noticed is there is a huge difference in idle when the choke is on and when i turn the choke off....as in i have to adjust the idle when i turn the choke off or it will die. anyone know which jets this could be?
Old 07-28-2009, 06:04 PM   #26
Olas
the darkness

Oddometer: 3,947
All the choke does is cut off air and let more fuel into the mix, richening up the mix. Idle is supposed to be higher when you activate the choke. Adjust your idle so that it will idle well once the choke is turned off. The pilot jet is the one for idle.
Olas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2009, 06:32 PM   #27
edeher OP
Gnarly Adventurer

alright....and which jet does the popping during deceleration point out?
Old 07-28-2009, 06:38 PM   #28
Olas
the darkness

Oddometer: 3,947
Are you using an aftermarket exhaust? I can't tell from your pictures... If you are then popping on decel will be more pronounced than if you had a stock exhaust on there. From what i've read, most thumpers will pop on decel - even the perfectly tuned ones. My husky does, my XT does and so does my XR. It's just the way it is... If the performance is good and it's only popping when engine breaking I wouldn't worry about it too much...
Olas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2009, 06:54 PM   #29
edeher OP
Gnarly Adventurer

yea i have some kind of euro performance exhaust...real loud....but it was not popping like this with the stock carb on so i know i can dial it in a little more...just wondering which jet controls that setting
Old 07-29-2009, 04:44 AM   #30
edeher OP
Gnarly Adventurer

I read online that if the pilot jet is lean then i will hear a backfire or popping from the exhaust during decel. So a bigger pilot jet is the answer. But how much bigger? should i go up in incroments of 5 until it sounds better....or get one bigger by 10 the first time?