User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-09-2009, 12:33 PM   #1
SeaMoto OP
luv2ride

Oddometer: 3
G650X Country Stalls Over-N-Over When Cold

I have a 2009 G650X Country with about 2500 miles on it. Great bike... EXCEPT... a while back, it started stalling when I'd start up in the morning (5x per week commuter). Usually it would run for 20-30 seconds, then stall suddenly. Start it back up... runs another 5-10 seconds... then stalls again... and again... repeat 5-10 times before it will finally idle without stalling. Took it to dealer and they replaced the idle controller. Problem solved! After that, no more stalling... until a few days ago. Now it's back to the same exact problem of repeated stalling after starting cold. If I try riding off without warmup it's subject to stalling despite my coaxing of the throttle... not nice (or safe).

So I called the dealer again yesterday. They told me that BMW has this as a known issue, but there is currently no resolution. I'm probably going to bring it back to them again anyway since I'm under warranty. At least I'll get a couple of days of non-stalling loaner bike out of it.

I have seen this "nuclear" option which resolved a warm-stalling issue:
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=347765

Anyone else having the cold-stall issue? Any resolutions?
SeaMoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2009, 01:44 PM   #2
Bike#8
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 170
My XMoto just returned from the local BMW shop (4 day turn around, excellent for the summer season). It too was was stalling upon startup, tech found a frayed speed sensor wire going into the crankcase. He replaced, re wrapped, reset computer. Bike runs like a champ again :)
Bike#8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2009, 01:58 PM   #3
satur9
angry black guy

Oddometer: 459
my xmoto is in the shop right now for the exact same thing. they say its a pulse generator. which goes into crankcase(actualy by the stator
)which may or not be what bike#8 had fixed(can you confirm) . anyway i hope that fixes it
satur9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2009, 02:13 PM   #4
Bike#8
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 170
Hey satur9,

My info came from the paperwork I received when I picked up my bike. I didn't get a chance to talk to the tech guy. I'm due back for my 6k service pretty soon. I'll ask then.
Bike#8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2009, 03:25 PM   #5
shua
plays in snow

Oddometer: 225
My bike does the same thing. It is very annoying some days. It has done it from day one. I asked my dealer about it ,and he basically said deal with it. It doesn't do it every day so I've been living with it.
shua is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2009, 03:37 PM   #6
satur9
angry black guy

your problem might be different from mine then. my bike used to start first time everytime even in 20 degree.(i ride in winter). it just started acting up. and does it everytime the engine has enough time to cool off.so basically to work and after work everyday for the past couple of weeks.
Old 07-09-2009, 05:31 PM   #7
Somber
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 348
you didn't get more impatient starting over time did you?

if I start my bike before the idiot lights go out - i can produce the stalls so many people complain about in the forums...

when I wait till the idiot lights fade before I start, I've never had it happen...

I suppose it is unlikely that all these issues are based on impatience, but perhaps it is a clue to what might be causing all these issues...

Messing with the throttle before starting and/or starting before the lights fade are often pointed to confusing the ECU. Flaking out batteries also seem to drive some similar problems.

So I'd check your habit first just in case that is playing into it, then I'd check your battery to make sure it is giving you all the voltage you need under all conditions/loads.

after that, I dunno... good luck
Somber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2009, 06:09 PM   #8
red neckerson
Lifetime novice

Oddometer: 95
My X-Ch recently started this BS also (around 3K miles). I haven't spoken to my dealer service department about it yet. Highly irritating.
1986 Honda XR250R
1980 Yamaha DT125
1986 Yamaha YZ80
1995 Harley 1200 Sportster
red neckerson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2009, 06:12 PM   #9
SeaMoto OP
luv2ride

Thanks for the info. Yes... I'm up on the tricks... waiting for the lights, don't touch the throttle, etc. I have a new battery, too (was replaced under warranty as factory battery was weak). I've also read in other forums that switching to regular-grade fuel can help. So filled up with that on the way home today. If that doesn't work, next trick I'll try will be to disconnect the battery to reset the computer.

And then back to the dealer if still no luck...
Old 07-09-2009, 06:19 PM   #10
TAS
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 489
I just bought a used X-Ch with 2400 miles and it does the same thing. Will not run more than 30 seconds or so when cold and then just stalls with a loud clang; very disturbing.
TAS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2009, 03:07 PM   #11
satur9
angry black guy

i knew the tricks before i bought the bike.i read EVERY 650x post here before i got the bike. battery optimizer every night. its definately not operator error. and mine doesnt clang. just repeated stalling. other than that it fine.
Old 07-13-2009, 03:26 PM   #12
satur9
angry black guy

got my bike back yesterday seems the pulse generator fixed it for now. then i went and dropped my bike on gravel today. :(
Old 07-14-2009, 08:36 PM   #13
SeaMoto OP
luv2ride

My stalling issue was completely resolved this weekend when I pulled the canister per the thread referenced in my initial post. Idles perfectly now. Silky smooth. Not thrilled to remove this device, but I could not live with the stalling.

Thanks everyone for your thoughts and feedback.
Old 09-17-2009, 02:28 PM   #14
LadyX
n00b

Oddometer: 2
G650 Xcountry stalling problem

I see I have company! My 2007 G650 Xcountry has been having a stalling problem too. Bought it from my local dealer as a demo with 500 miles on it in May 2008. At first no problems. Well, the cold stalls were there but they were so infrequent that it wasn't worth complaining about -- but this season it's gotten worse and worse. Normally I have to restart 2-5 times. Once it gets going though it runs great unless I stop long enough for it to cool down too much -- then I have to start the process all over again! Ugh! Most of the time it just stalls quietly but every so often it stalls with a super loud screech. What's that!?! The starter? Dealer put in a new Yuasa battery about a month ago. I heard from a local X Challenge owner that a new battery solved his stalling problem -- but not mine! Still having problems. I read about SeaMoto's success with removing the canister and Satur9's pulse generator which I'll mention to my local dealer. I have just over 10k miles on it now but the 3-year warranty will expire in February 2010. Considering I live in Wisconsin and won't be riding in February, I'd hoping to get this resolved before the end of this year's riding season. Are there any other success stories out there? Anyone else still struggling with this?
LadyX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2010, 08:00 AM   #15
Trailace
Dumb Ass

Oddometer: 1,150
Maybe some help with stalling.

The other day I was getting the X Challenge ready for Big Bend and decided to check out my throttle body for dirt and dust. I run a foam filter but after doing the west side of the TAT what could it hurt just to make sure. I found a small amount of dust built up on the throttle body but I think that was still from running the old paper filter. Anyway if you look on the front side of the throttle body about an inch down there is a small hole this is the opening for the idle control device. It looked like there was some carbon build up in the hole. I cleaned it with a Q-tip and alcohol it took about 5 Q-tips to get it clean. Put the all back together and the stalling is gone. My stalling would only happen on the first start up of the day when it was cold. I did some other things to the bike but this is the only one that had anything to do with the motor. Maybe someone else can try it to see if this will resolve there stalling issue and let us know. Good luck!

2007 G650X Challenge
2002 R1150GS ADV
Iron Butt # 7362
Trailace is offline   Reply With Quote