User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-11-2012, 03:14 PM   #1
michelsavage OP
Gotta move

Oddometer: 53
Ex sailor new rider

Well ,I sailed most of my "adult" life - South America, Europe, Africam Caribbean, etc. Fourteen years full time. Now that I'm 64, I have less time, gotta go faster. So I just ordered my new F650GS - blue, with aluminum panniers. Breakdown trip to South America - or at least Central America this October. The, off to Europe and Asia...

I never realized how popular Adventure riding and stealth camping were...

I juss feel good...
michelsavage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 01:18 PM   #2
GSFREEK
Adventurer

Oddometer: 40
Have fun on your trips, hope you'll like the bike.. :)
GSFREEK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 02:51 PM   #3
rehoff
n00b

Oddometer: 8
Good luck with your new bike.
I had a F800GS until last summer, when I sold it to finance my sailtrip around Europe this year. It's two things of the same, enjoying the trip between A and B. Not about coming first from A to B.
I am about to order myself a new bike which are ready for delivery when I return this summer. Look forward to that too. Either a F800GS og KTM 990 Adv.???

Again. Have a nice time on your new bike, and drive safely!
rehoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 03:37 PM   #4
señormoto
Supermoto Abuser

Oddometer: 1,110
where abouts are you planning for central america? hopefully not just sticking to the PanAm Highway and trying to ´get through´ like a lot of people I read end up doing. there´s so much to see if you get off of that smog run.

edit: I´m reading Storm Passage by Webb Chiles for the past week; sailing definitely has my respect, I bet those 15 years were amazing and made for some great stories :)
Old 03-12-2012, 03:41 PM   #5
arjones
Roads and Waves

Oddometer: 176
Welcome!!

If you are planning to come to Brasil, let me know. Maybe I can help you around here. There are lots of fun side trips to do in this little country of mine...
arjones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 07:01 AM   #6
michelsavage OP
Gotta move

Oddometer: 53
Taking my time, really

Thanks for all the welcoming comments. I'm driving down from Montreal, and although I'kk have to move fairly quickly to escape winter, I intend to take it really easy. I have to be back by April (gotta work). So, even if I make it to Coast-Rica, I'll be happy. The idea is not to cover distance, but to get lost in back roads and meet people. My biggest concern really is budget: I have to make it with max 40 $ per day.

As for my choice of bike, well, I did quite a bit of reading and settled on the F650GS for a number of reasons:
1. A detuned engine is likely to last longer than a highly tuned engine- less stree
2. From the above, that engine is also likely to be more economical.
3. I could not put my feet on the ground on any ADV bikes (KLM, Kawa, SStrom, F800GS or 1200GS)
4. The above bikes are too heavy (except for the F800GS).
5. In general BMW's reputation for reliability and service
6. I intend to do mostly road, possibley 20% off road, hard to tell. If I end up doing mostly off road, I'll have to use knobbies - we'll see.

So now I have to work so I can buy all that nice equipment to outfit my new toy... I'll have to find a name for my ride.
michelsavage is offline   Reply With Quote