User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-14-2009, 10:54 PM   #1
nobrakes OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,361
NCHSA Round 8: Brown Jug Hare Scramble

Here's the helmet cam from my last hare scramble - NCHSA Round 8, aka "Brown Jug." It was very hot, dusty, and the course was rough. I made a squid move at the start which cost me and I was dead last at the first turn so I dined on a dust buffet for my afternoon snack. The course was very rough most of its 7.4 miles and pretty slow, I only got out of 2nd gear on one or two sections. The helmet cam makes it look smooth, but I assure you it is not. Not as hard or as rough as the prior race I did which was "Flat Rock," but still a challenge. I saw several people laying along the side of the track and one person curled up in a ball. All had help or said they were OK, so I didn't stop. At least one of them got an ambulance ride from the heat and dehydration. The effort you put out in one of these is pretty intense and combine that with the heat and a slow course like this one and it can take it right out of you.

http://www.vimeo.com/5601357

nobrakes screwed with this post 07-14-2009 at 11:19 PM
nobrakes is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2009, 11:23 PM   #2
nobrakes OP
Beastly Adventurer

Photo of yours truly during the race by one of the local photographers. It's a little hard to tell from the framing, but please note the rear wheel roosting furiously and the front wheel heading skyward. It's amazing what happens to your throttle hand when a camera pops out and points in your general direction.

Old 07-15-2009, 09:48 AM   #3
Tbone
off-ramp slayer

Oddometer: 4,262
Great stuff man !!! Looked like that 4 stroke was nice to have chugging around those road blocks.Helmet cam looked perfect and was weird how you guys have punch checks on the course, not just the scan check at the trailer. I know I missed running HS's last year and look forward to our season starting in a few months.

This is how I usually look when a photog seems me..:)

Tbone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2009, 04:53 PM   #4
nobrakes OP
Beastly Adventurer

Thanks, T-Bone! The course was pretty tight and slow, I think I only got out of 2nd gear on one or two sections of the course. If I had a do-over, I'd change my gearing, 1st was a little too low and 2nd was a little too high - really needed a gear somewhere in between. I think the punch checks are to help guard against people cutting the track. If scoring says you did 3 laps, but you only have 2 holes in your punch card, you only get credit for two laps. Of course, a crafty cheater would just carry a $0.99 cent hole punch with them for when they cut the track. Definitely not cool! They can usually spot them by noticing dramatically shorter lap times on the computer, but nothing is fool proof. Sad that people resort to stuff like that for a plastic trophy.

That doesn't really matter to me, though, I only get out to a few races a year and am not riding for points or anything. But it's way too much fun to not do it every now and then. It's hard to describe that feeling on the start line when the rows are being counted down and your row is next. That feeling must be the reason people jump out of perfectly good airplanes.
Old 07-16-2009, 08:56 AM   #5
FAST JACK
Hardcore Dirt bIKER

Oddometer: 119
Man, I hate and dust bowl like that. Great footage.
FAST JACK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2009, 09:27 AM   #6
Tbone
off-ramp slayer

Oddometer: 4,262
Quote:
Originally Posted by nobrakes
That doesn't really matter to me, though, I only get out to a few races a year and am not riding for points or anything. But it's way too much fun to not do it every now and then. It's hard to describe that feeling on the start line when the rows are being counted down and your row is next. That feeling must be the reason people jump out of perfectly good airplanes.

my heart was pumping just watching the start on the video. I thought to myself "man, that is the calm before the chaos"....good times !
Tbone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2009, 11:51 AM   #7
DC950
Microadventurer

Oddometer: 2,771
Must. Start. Racing. Again.

Hey Jack, want to go ride some levees or something on the 640's?

DC950 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2009, 06:41 PM   #8
nobrakes OP
Beastly Adventurer

Hey, I checked the overall results again and I was in 125th place at the end of the first lap, 112th place the 2nd lap, and 96th at the end of the 3rd. So I was making up well over a dozen positions per lap. I did the math and I only needed 7 more laps and I would have won that sucker.
Old 07-18-2009, 08:58 AM   #9
DC950
Microadventurer

Oddometer: 2,771
Quote:
Hey, I checked the overall results again and I was in 125th place at the end of the first lap, 112th place the 2nd lap, and 96th at the end of the 3rd. So I was making up well over a dozen positions per lap. I did the math and I only needed 7 more laps and I would have won that sucker.

DC950 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2010, 12:19 PM   #10
eatpasta
Lawnmower Target

Oddometer: 10,186
Quote:
Here's the helmet cam from my last hare scramble - NCHSA Round 8, aka "Brown Jug." It was very hot, dusty, and the course was rough. I made a squid move at the start which cost me and I was dead last at the first turn so I dined on a dust buffet for my afternoon snack. The course was very rough most of its 7.4 miles and pretty slow, I only got out of 2nd gear on one or two sections. The helmet cam makes it look smooth, but I assure you it is not. Not as hard or as rough as the prior race I did which was "Flat Rock," but still a challenge. I saw several people laying along the side of the track and one person curled up in a ball. All had help or said they were OK, so I didn't stop. At least one of them got an ambulance ride from the heat and dehydration. The effort you put out in one of these is pretty intense and combine that with the heat and a slow course like this one and it can take it right out of you.

http://www.vimeo.com/5601357
how THE HELL do you guys pass out there?! Racing in the all those trees and crap makes me nervous!! Usually when im racing, there's nothing around for hundreds of miles! Those trees make me feel so claustrophobic...

Originally Posted by Burnszilla
I was SO high, I could have hunted duck with a rake
Quote:
Originally Posted by VxZeroKnots View Post
MX stuff isn't my cup of tea, but falling down the side of a mountain is
eatpasta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2010, 07:35 PM   #11
hobie1dog
Not a Sheeple

Oddometer: 374
Enjoyed the video...thanks for posting it up.

The things you own, end up owning you-Tyler Durden
hobie1dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2010, 01:14 PM   #12
nobrakes OP
Beastly Adventurer

My pleasure!