Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > GSpot > Parallel Universe
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-27-2014, 06:00 PM   #1
deijmaser OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 10
F800 - First bike in my life - New rider!

Hey group, so this is my baby review of the F800 2014 I got a few weeks back. Sorry for being so slow…

First up, this is my first bike ever, really, ever. I just started riding a month ago and clocked only around 300km on the motorcycle. I’m very familiar with «toys», fast toys, but riding has just opened my eyes to a new world; thanks for that and for the great information found on adv.

So, as many have mentioned it is a tall bike. It’s not a problem for me as I’m 6.2 with ridiculously long legs, but I can totally understand a «smaller» rider freaking out at the height of the bike. As some have said, I’m sure you can get used to it, but still. For pure security reasons, I would really think about this if I was hesitating for this one or another… Great clearance though.

But, every time someone sees the bike for the first time they all go : Jesus Ch**** this is big! Even experienced riders are amazed at the height of the F800. Anyway, that’s that.

As for the «high speed» buzzing everyone is talking about, I admit it’s there but I wouldn’t call it a buzz… I would prefer to say something like «vibration» - I mean the kind of vibration I use to get at cheap motels putting a quarter on the bed thing and then it would just start shaking… I know I know, my parents had great taste ; )

On one last note until I get more mileage out of this baby, there's this : there seems to be a lot of exposed wires close to the engine bay and so on… I can understand a logical reason for this, but at the same time it made me think about the moments that i’ll be in serious dirt and water and about the effect these could have on these components… Is it for drainage to something similar I don't know...

If anyone can add on this «wire» thing I’d love to hear comments. Finally, this is a picture of my bike rinding close to the border of canada and Vermont. So cheers and thanks again for all the great advice, you guys rock.
Attached Images

deijmaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2014, 07:18 PM   #2
CoffeeTime
Adventurer

Oddometer: 40
Have fun and be careful! Couldn't imagine if I had this for my first bike lol. What kind of seat do you have there?
CoffeeTime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2014, 09:25 PM   #3
70East
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 236
What wires are you specifically talking about it? If it's nothing out of normal, then you have nothing to worry about, the bike does well in water.

The height is great, that white looks good. Ride it like you stole it, the bike can take it.
70East is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2014, 10:12 AM   #4
deijmaser OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by CoffeeTime View Post
Have fun and be careful! Couldn't imagine if I had this for my first bike lol. What kind of seat do you have there?
True I totally forgot to tell, I went with the BMW confort seat. As I plan to ride for long periods it's a must... Highly recommended for sensitive bottoms ;)
deijmaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2014, 11:08 AM   #5
Montana Nate
n00b

Oddometer: 5
Congrats on the new ride! I am, will be, in the same boat as you, I'm going to pick up a F800GS for my first motorcycle and I can't wait! I'm 6'2" as well, so it's great to hear you don't find the height of the bike overwhelming. Keep us posted as you continue to learn and have a safe ride!

Montana Nate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2014, 11:59 AM   #6
Renval
Adventurer

Oddometer: 21
Congrats!

I was on your shoes a few months ago when I went to the dealer and I saw the F8, a beautiful bike but I was kinda concerned with the size and power for been my first bike, I'm 6.1 with long legs too but I still felt she was a big bike, but now after 6 months of riding I can tell you it was the best decision, I haven't felt any vibrations yet but I don't ride over 80mph! :) love my F8!!!
Renval is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2014, 05:28 PM   #7
CoffeeTime
Adventurer

Oddometer: 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by Renval View Post
I haven't felt any vibrations yet but I don't ride over 80mph! :) love my F8!!!
Its there, 6th gear from 70mph onward lol.
CoffeeTime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2014, 09:33 AM   #8
Scubalong
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 830
Congratulation
That is a nice treat for your first bike
Scubalong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2014, 11:13 AM   #9
Mtl_Biker
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 582
Welcome to the board, and congratulations on the new bike!

I too am in Montreal and also have an F800GS. My office is at Paré and Decarie, so if you're ever in the area you're welcome to come by and say hello. I'll send you a PM with contact info.

Like others, I'm not sure what you mean about loose wires. We could look at your bike and compare it with mine if you want.

You say that's your first bike, so does that mean you just got your license? If so, are you in the first year of the license and therefore cannot ride without an experienced rider along with you?

I'm always up for a ride.

Cheers!
Mtl_Biker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2014, 11:21 AM   #10
gianni1951
Adventurer

Oddometer: 60
Congratulation and have fun, but pay attention.
gianni1951 is offline   Reply With Quote