Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > GSpot > Parallel Universe
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-11-2009, 04:01 PM   #181
johngil OP
Reseda, CA

Oddometer: 3,681
As of today, the plan is to pull a frame from production, and replace the broke back beemer frame that is currently in place.
I'm frustrated that the bike has never even been taken apart and inspected by BMW or the dealer.
I did mention that the damage also included the shock and airbox. Of course, that was news to them.
I'm concerned that the frame replacement will be less than perfect simply because this is a job done on a production line. Nothing personal against my dealer, but they have never done this on an 800 GS before.
I will assume new steering head bearings and races would be needed. The entire ABS system will have been dismantled and reassembled. On and on. This isn't going to be a factory made bike anymore. That may kill my resale value.
The communication between my dealer and BMW could be much better in my opinion. I am grateful for any resolution at this point, and will have to be patient until next week to see what the real plan turns out to be.
johngil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2009, 04:11 PM   #182
cisco
old fat guy

Oddometer: 277
Laugh good news

Quote:
Originally Posted by johngil
As of today, the plan is to pull a frame from production, and replace the broke back beemer frame that is currently in place.
I'm frustrated that the bike has never even been taken apart and inspected by BMW or the dealer.
I did mention that the damage also included the shock and airbox. Of course, that was news to them.
I'm concerned that the frame replacement will be less than perfect simply because this is a job done on a production line. Nothing personal against my dealer, but they have never done this on an 800 GS before.
I will assume new steering head bearings and races would be needed. The entire ABS system will have been dismantled and reassembled. On and on. This isn't going to be a factory made bike anymore. That may kill my resale value.
The communication between my dealer and BMW could be much better in my opinion. I am grateful for any resolution at this point, and will have to be patient until next week to see what the real plan turns out to be.
Well I guess the good news is that BMW is taking responsibility for the frame. Now you need to push on the time(lemon law). In Az it's thirty days, and they are obligated to replace the vehicle.
Cisco
cisco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2009, 04:26 PM   #183
johngil OP
Reseda, CA

They (BMW) sure won't be making the repair within a 30 day period. I'll have to bring that up.
Old 09-11-2009, 07:45 PM   #184
JRWooden
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,118
John:

Just as a "practical" matter ...

It is hard for me to belelive that is is cheaper for BMW NA to get a new frame from Germany and pay the dealer a bazillion hours labor to basically move your bike guts into a new frame vs. just give you a new bike and sell your bike as-is for scrap or "whatever" ...
JRWooden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2009, 07:50 PM   #185
Zapp22
ZAPP - Tejas

Oddometer: 13,643
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruno T .
You bottomed that shock, hard. I'm surprised it didn't piss out all of its oil yet.
You saw BMW's promotional videos, right?

and blame the customer anyway, right?
Zapp22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2009, 07:57 PM   #186
johngil OP
Reseda, CA

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRWooden
John:

Just as a "practical" matter ...

It is hard for me to belelive that is is cheaper for BMW NA to get a new frame from Germany and pay the dealer a bazillion hours labor to basically move your bike guts into a new frame vs. just give you a new bike and sell your bike as-is for scrap or "whatever" ...
Those are my thoughts as well.
On top of that, the bike will never be the same, in a bad way.
I've got some thinking to do here.
Old 09-11-2009, 08:37 PM   #187
johngil OP
Reseda, CA

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoelWisman
My impression is that John got an incorrectly assembled frame, ie the shock mount bolt was loose right from the factory.

That said, from pictures alone it is impossible to tell.

It is also possible John badly bottoms the shock regularly. If you bottom a shock hard enough something will bend or break on ANY bike.
Don't believe me? Lets meet for a ride and I will pilot whatever bike you own and break something :)

I continue to suspect John is a stand up competent person and rider but..... If BMW wanted to stick it to John they could get out of lemon law concerns by blaming John, especially since so few other F800GS's have had problems like this, and simply repair his bike as a "Customer satisfaction gratuity" sans warranty. They could also likely void the frame warranty outright and make no repairs.

Would BMW's actions hold up in court? I suspect they would, and I have never lost a case in my previous life working for Volvo when things got bent, we voided a warranty, and the customer sued.

If anyone asks me, I'd say BMW is doing the right thing and being generous by giving you, John, the benefit of the doubt. I know you may not see it this way, but having worked both sides of the counter for several manufactures and dealers, there are many different points of view.
I agree with your statements, Joel.
My frustration, today, is that more than 3 weeks officially into this ordeal, neither the dealer or a local rep. (who I understand has been injured) has torn into the bike looking for some more relevant info. other than what I have provided. It just seems lazy to me.
Again, I will say that I appreciate the time BMW has spent w/ me. I do think their "system" is a little overwhelmed.
I have an idea of what happened and when, why, etc.
I believe if I were to try and bend another bolt/frame, I could. I personally do not like the design. We just disagree on this one.
I would love for BMW to buy back the bike. I would pay for the 8500 miles on the clock to date as explained in my state's lemon laws and be on my way. It would be a loss for me, but a lesson learned.
I'm just finding it hard to believe it is worth fixing the bike.
Old 09-12-2009, 02:13 AM   #188
skamikazee
Noviço

Oddometer: 245
Sorry for the complete off-topic, but this is just a quick simple question, not worth creating a new thread, and since this is a very technical and active one, i tought i'd get a quick yes or no answer!

Is there a difrence beetween checking the engine oil level using the sidestand with a couple of stuff underneath so the bike stays completely upright, and checking as recomended with the bike on the centerstand?
I mean, the bike on the centerstand leans (is this the apropriate term!?!) a bit towards the front, elevating the back wheel, does that afect at all the position in wich the straw dips in the oil inside the engine?

I have to get a centerstand!

P.S. If this post is abusive just delete it, no need for confusion!

Cheers!
Old 09-12-2009, 04:40 AM   #189
Wildman
In my castle

Oddometer: 17,721
Quote:
Originally Posted by skamikazee
Sorry for the complete off-topic, but this is just a quick simple question, not worth creating a new thread, and since this is a very technical and active one, i tought i'd get a quick yes or no answer!

Is there a difrence beetween checking the engine oil level using the sidestand with a couple of stuff underneath so the bike stays completely upright, and checking as recomended with the bike on the centerstand?
I mean, the bike on the centerstand leans (is this the apropriate term!?!) a bit towards the front, elevating the back wheel, does that afect at all the position in wich the straw dips in the oil inside the engine?

I have to get a centerstand!

P.S. If this post is abusive just delete it, no need for confusion!

Cheers!
Try asking the same question here: http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=483728
Ridden; GBR CYM DEU FRA ESP AND MCO ITA BEL SCT LUX CHE SMR LIE AUT NLD POL LTU LVA EST SWE FIN NOR DNK CZE SVK HUN ROU BGR GRC MKD SRB ALB MNE BIH HRV SVN MYS IRL BRA MAR PRT ARE USA ISL JPN MLT Planning; AUS TUR MDA UKR MEX BLR MNG RUS KAZ TJK KGZ SEN ZAF ZMB MWI NZL IND CPN
Wildman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2009, 05:14 PM   #190
johngil OP
Reseda, CA

Update as of today 9-15-2009

Parts have been ordered and are shipping from both USA and Germany.
I don't know when my fat ass will see the seat of my bike again, but it may be soon.
I will keep a positive attitude and look forward to riding that dirty, nasty bitch again.

Wish me luck!
Old 09-15-2009, 05:37 PM   #191
cisco
old fat guy

Oddometer: 277
Quote:
Update as of today 9-15-2009

Parts have been ordered and are shipping from both USA and Germany.
I don't know when my fat ass will see the seat of my bike again, but it may be soon.
I will keep a positive attitude and look forward to riding that dirty, nasty bitch again.

Wish me luck!
GOOD LUCK!!
cisco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2009, 10:29 PM   #192
Bayner
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,457
So they're swapping out your frame then?
Bayner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2009, 05:55 AM   #193
johngil OP
Reseda, CA

That is the plan.
Frame, shock, airbox and seat latching mechanism.
Old 09-16-2009, 10:35 AM   #194
Bayner
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,457
Wow. That's got to be a chore!
Bayner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2009, 11:18 AM   #195
PackMule
love what you do

Oddometer: 19,458
Quote:
That is the plan.
Frame, shock, airbox and seat latching mechanism.

Swingarm?

Yes, I have a Dakar problem -- that there are 50 weeks of the year without Dakar!

They don't expect you to finish. That's why it's the Dakar. -- PPiA

Get your sweet Pyndon DakARTwork here

Pyndon '13
PackMule is offline   Reply With Quote