Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > GSpot > Parallel Universe
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-22-2009, 02:19 PM   #76
DockingPilot
Hooked Up and Hard Over

Oddometer: 9,138
John, I wouldn't even hint at second guessing yourself. If they (BMW) as much as sniff that, they will most likey throw it on you. Be firm. BMW replaced my friends FRAME on a just out of warrenty 650. A frame ! Thats a huge job but they did it. So chin up my friend.

"Every bike I ever had, was the best bike I ever had, when I had it"
DockingPilot is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2009, 02:21 PM   #77
johngil OP
Reseda, CA

Oddometer: 3,704
Frank, my friend... I made a mistake once. I thought I was wrong.

How's that?
johngil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2009, 02:29 PM   #78
llamapacker
Mr. Conservative

Oddometer: 1,168
This design is not good. To get the most strength the bushing needs to be load bearing thickness and ONE piece through the shock. Two pieces allows a much smaller bearing area to support the force.

The original shock if I understand correctly is a one piece bushing, if the length of that bushing is more than one of the two halves then that setup is stronger.

If I had to fix, I would make a bushing the full length of space between mounts, or get larger bolt and that would require reworking all of the surrounding hardware.

The strongest design would be mounts just wide enough to insert the shock, PERIOD.
Old 08-22-2009, 02:32 PM   #79
johngil OP
Reseda, CA

"The strongest design would be mounts just wide enough to insert the shock, PERIOD."

Agree.
Old 08-22-2009, 03:15 PM   #80
DockingPilot
Hooked Up and Hard Over

Quote:
Originally Posted by johngil
Frank, my friend... I made a mistake once. I thought I was wrong.

How's that?

Old 08-23-2009, 06:34 AM   #81
easyman05
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 152
the wife's F650GS is at dealer - asked to check the shock bolt today and yes, it is slightly bent. No jumps, hard off-road or/and overload of the bike - her weight with helmet, boots and gear does not exceed 50 kg. She rides without panniers. Will check my F800GS next - will keep you informed.
Old 08-23-2009, 06:38 AM   #82
Lion BR
I'd rather be riding

Oddometer: 3,437
Brace failure?

What is the role of this brace just to the left of the shock?
When the bolt bent, did the brace fail as well? Did the brace break at the weld? What is the structure behind where the brace is welded to? Or is it not structural? If structural, I would think it helps "shorten" the length of the bolt and hence give it strength.
Lion

Quote:
Originally Posted by DockingPilot

Lion BR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2009, 11:23 AM   #83
DockingPilot
Hooked Up and Hard Over

Mine is not bent, that photo was for John to look at.

John this from a suspension guy when asked about this situation:

"Frank,
The bushings on all shocks I know of are split. They have to be inserted ½ half from each side.
If his bolt is bend it is from bottoming out very hard and has nothing to do with the bushings being out of one piece or not.
All the high end shocks have spherical bearings and half bushings, usually out of aluminum.
The bushings are stepped, with the smallest diameter a press fit into the bearing against a shoulder in the bushing, than another step to provide a seal against the O-ring. Than the outer step or collar which is to take the place of a washer. The measurement across the outer collars has to be the exact width of the clevis of fork in the frame.
The BMW have a top bolt (Torx head) with the head being a precise fit in one of the fork shanks, to allow lateral movement for expansion etc. If the nut is tightened to spec, it will pull the shoulder of the Allen head against the collar of one of the ½ bushings, against the inner race of the bearing, against the other ½ bushing and against the shank of the other fork on the other side where the nut is tightened. This is a solid assembly. However, I have seen bent top and bottom bolts (mainly on GS’s) with Wilbers shocks. It happens when the bike comes crushing down after a lift off and the shock bottoms out. This should not happen with a Hyperpro shock/spring. The progressive spring is so stiff at the very end, that it is almost impossible to fully compress it under these conditions."

Old 08-23-2009, 11:36 AM   #84
johngil OP
Reseda, CA

I have a hefty spring on my Ohlins as well. The valving seems pretty progressive as well. I doesn't bottom hard, if at all. The elongated hole on the frame tab is going to cause any setup to bend in my opinion. If the cross tube were not bent,,, a simple fix could be as easy as welding in a bushing in the enlarged original hole providing there was enough meat left to weld on. The bent cross tube is what is complicating matters for me.
I was disappointed that BMW didn't contact my dealer Friday. That means no contact w/ the dealer until Tuesday.
Old 08-23-2009, 11:45 AM   #85
DockingPilot
Hooked Up and Hard Over

Dam, Keep on your dealer to pressure them to show up. Thats aggrivating for sure. For all of us really. We want to know how they will treat you on this.
Keep us posted John.

Old 08-23-2009, 12:24 PM   #86
kmueller_gs12
Adventurer

Oddometer: 18
fixed

@JoelWisman and all the other f650/800gs riders

one hour ago i checked the situation once again as you wrote
i have splashed a little bit wd40 between the rubber and the bush and pulled the rubber to the left.
then i trie to torque the bold and what i see, the bush turns with
so i take a wrench and hold it while torque the bold up to 100nm

everythine ok

my conclusion:
the work instruction "changing the rear shock" is very bad. ther is no word about this eventality.
so now my dealer have to give back the spare parts

thank you to all

regards klaus
Old 08-23-2009, 04:27 PM   #87
itsatdm
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,556
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lion BR
What is the role of this brace just to the left of the shock?
When the bolt bent, did the brace fail as well? Did the brace break at the weld? What is the structure behind where the brace is welded to? Or is it not structural? If structural, I would think it helps "shorten" the length of the bolt and hence give it strength.
Lion
That is the left mounting flange, the right flange is welded on the right side of the frame visible in the pic. The tube the left flange is welded to is a frame crossmember. The silver cylinder object to the left of the left flange is threaded and serves a nut for the bolt that holds it together.
A bent bolt is fixable, but in this case, it appears that after it bent, the left flange took more force that it was designed for and bent the crossmember. From the pictures it looks like the way the flange is cantilevered rearward, it acted as a lever twisting and bending the crossmount.
itsatdm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2009, 06:13 PM   #88
PackMule
love what you do

Oddometer: 19,458
Klaus

Yes, I have a Dakar problem -- that there are 50 weeks of the year without Dakar!

They don't expect you to finish. That's why it's the Dakar. -- PPiA

Get your sweet Pyndon DakARTwork here

Pyndon '13
PackMule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2009, 06:45 PM   #89
Gangplank
Advenchaintourer

Oddometer: 2,294
I dunno know about this. I ride mine really hard. Seems to me its fine. If your was bent when you went to put on the after market I would think there is something wrong with the bolt.

I have 4k mi already. Others have 20k.... haven't even heard of this other than this thread.
Old 08-23-2009, 06:59 PM   #90
johngil OP
Reseda, CA

Gangplank, thanks for posting. That was my mission when I started the thread. So far I have only found 3 other bent bolt/frame problems. It's not a lot by any measure, but it helps me and possibly BMW or Ohlins in the end.
I guess when people say they ride hard, it is rather subjective.
I feel I ride at a moderate pace, not hard. That is why I am looking for answers.
My confidence in this bike is low, however.