Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > GSpot > Parallel Universe
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-07-2011, 09:27 PM   #1156
Indy Unlimited
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,249
It comes out easy. Most new Ohlins come out either side with no retaining clip. Some Ohlins shocks still use a clip on one side you need to remove and press out from the opposite side. A good vice and 2 sockets do the job very easily, no heat needed.

2013 Ducati Hypermotard SP, 2011 Husaberg FE570S, 2011 BMW S1000RR, 2010 BMW F800GS
2007 Husqvarna TE610 , 2003 KTM 525 MXC
Indy Unlimited is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2011, 06:28 AM   #1157
Gumbeaux
The Chameleon

Oddometer: 790
Quote:
Originally Posted by Indy Unlimited View Post
It comes out easy. Most new Ohlins come out either side with no retaining clip. Some Ohlins shocks still use a clip on one side you need to remove and press out from the opposite side. A good vice and 2 sockets do the job very easily, no heat needed.
I can vouch for this. Came out easily and the new bearing went in no problem (once I stopped scratching my head, staring at the setup, and finally asked for help on here ). I did not have a bench mounted vise, so I had to lightly tap it with a rubber ring on the socket to drive it out.

The Indy solution is slick.
Old 08-14-2011, 08:29 AM   #1158
mlkdash
Righteous Dude

Oddometer: 75
Just my personal experience

OK, I don't want to get mired in the mud slinging here, but just want to state what has happened with this issue in my particular case. (I love the bike, BMW is great, engineers are people too, etc. etc.)

I have an '09 F800GS which just turned 10K miles (I know, I need to ride more ). I had the bike in for some work recently, and asked to have the tech pull the cover over the top shock bolt when she was in there doing the other work so I could just have a quick look. For whatever reason, this did not happen, and I was told they hadn't heard of that problem, etc. etc. So, when I had the bike back, I took things apart to have a look. I found a very slight, but distinct, bend to the bolt and assembly. I called my dealer back and informed them of this. They have not offered to help at all, but I still have confidence they will treat me well. They suggested the bolt be checked and replaced as needed. I will definitely do this, but really don't consider that an acceptable solution from BMW

Here are a few of the details:
Stock shock, stock spring
don't know what the torque value is on the setup - have not touched it yet
I am not nearly as good/aggressive a rider as some on this forum - I have never bottomed the shock that I am aware of and have not really even loaded the bike up for a long trip yet (potential trip to CO spurred me to take a look at the bolt.)

What I plan on doing:
get the IndyUnlimited kit
install it with the rest of the stock components (new bolt, etc.)
check both shock bolts frequently
make sure my dealer knows that I have concerns about this and expect them to support me

Thanks to John for starting this thread as I probably wouldn't have checked the bolt otherwise.

Matt
mlkdash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2011, 10:59 AM   #1159
itsatdm
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,477
The Indy unlimited spacer should solve your problem. Though not an engineer, the problems is obvious to me. The space between the shock mounts is 2.5 inches and the shock bearing is about 1.5in and relies on a bushing to make up the difference. Bolt tension is very important (100nm or 74 ft lbs) to keep both bushing in tension for strength.

If you look at pics for bend bolts using aftermarket shocks, all I have seen bend right in the middle of the shock mount. I think that is because, they have 2 bushings on the mount that may or may not butt up to their internal swivel bushing, so the bolt is now holding 3 or 4 bushing in suspension and the design is not up to the task.

When I have contacted my dealer on issues like this: I have gotten the same lame excuse, but they have told me they will call BMW to see if others have. Leads me there is a central depository of this info.

What is in this data bank, I do not know, but I am beginning believe it consists of complaints that were approved by BMW for warranty coverage. Sometimes I think it is a waste paper basket.

I think that, because in 2009, when UkGSER (a British BMW site) was full of broken chain issues, BMW only reported 5 to the British safety agency. The owners make their own complaints and the result was a recall.

What ever system BMW has for complaints, it is not working. I think dealers have to much freedom in making the initial determination of what causes problems and they feed the system. I certainly did not get any satisfaction in using their customer service route.

So your issue will probably get written off as customer abuse even though it appears to be a fairly common problem, if you believe the Internet. Consumables, such as clutches and chains are written off as exactly that and you pay, no matter what the mileage.

If BMW really wants to build a Superior motorcycle and continue to improve them, as told to me in their Customer Relation E mail, they could start will better control of the common complaints they receive and set up a system to make sure they get them.

Old 08-14-2011, 12:53 PM   #1160
trustme
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 909
[QUOTE=itsatdm;16625624[

If BMW really wants to build a Superior motorcycle and continue to improve them, as told to me in their Customer Relation E mail, they could start will better control of the common complaints they receive and set up a system to make sure they get them.

.[/QUOTE]

If BMW wanted to build superior motorcycles they would have used a better design & stop using the owners for product development.
trustme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2011, 08:44 PM   #1161
Lion BR
I'd rather be riding

Oddometer: 3,395
Quote:
Originally Posted by trustme View Post
If BMW wanted to build superior motorcycles they would have used a better design & stop using the owners for product development.

If they used the owners for product development, the design of the rear shock top attachment to the frame would have been changed already.

I'd rather be riding!

Lion BR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2011, 09:35 AM   #1162
Ronin ADV
Gear addict

Oddometer: 594
Just another data point

I am running the OEM rear shock with Hyperpro spring. I got the heavy bolt (from Touratech) and I am using the Ralle Moto brace. I weigh about 190 in gear and I ride pretty hard in the dirt and rocks, which is a least 50% of my riding. I also do longer trips with up to an additional 80 pounds of gear. I have run this set up for more than 7000 miles now. Took the bolt out yesterday for inspection and everything is still straight. So this combo is still working well for me.
Red dirt, rocks and sand; Riding the southern UTBDR, WR250R vs EXC 500 - a comparison
Ronin ADV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2011, 03:10 PM   #1163
YetiGS
No Talent Ass Clown

Oddometer: 7,314
Quote:
Originally Posted by WW Ronin View Post
I am running the OEM rear shock with Hyperpro spring. I got the heavy bolt (from Touratech) and I am using the Ralle Moto brace. I weigh about 190 in gear and I ride pretty hard in the dirt and rocks, which is a least 50% of my riding. I also do longer trips with up to an additional 80 pounds of gear. I have run this set up for more than 7000 miles now. Took the bolt out yesterday for inspection and everything is still straight. So this combo is still working well for me.
I had that set up for about 8,000 miles, rode it off-road (hard) and loaded, and when I pulled the bolt to install my Ohlins shock it was perfectly straight. When I installed the Ohlins I used the Indy kit.

I have drilled out the RM brace to fit Indy's kit, I just haven't gotten around to installing it yet.
"You had better bring an extra magazine. Yeti's amped up on weird shit are hard to bring down." Lonestar2112
YetiGS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2011, 04:33 PM   #1164
Chop Chop
Hector erector

Oddometer: 1,596
I am fortunate that I have a good relationship with my dealer. They are certainly aware of the problem and keep bolts on hand and notify head office when replaced. They gave me a new one no questions, just wanted the old one to send to HQ or whereever.

IMO i don't believe the brace is necessary with Indys' fix using aftermarket shocks, however should help with the stock setup and possibly a grade 12.9 bolt as well. A 12.9 bolt on its own won't stop it from bending as I bent one just recently.

I do wonder why a redesign on newer bikes hasn't occured though.
Old 08-17-2011, 11:56 AM   #1165
YetiGS
No Talent Ass Clown

Oddometer: 7,314
Quote:
Originally Posted by OffAgain View Post
I do wonder why a redesign on newer bikes hasn't occured though.
My guess is that such a small percentage of owners actually take their bikes off-road that percentage-wise, very few bolts are bending. It seems like a lot to us since we all go off-road to one degree or another, but in the general 800GS-owning population I'd guess less than 10% take their bikes seriously off road. (We're sort of like Land Rovers that way. )
"You had better bring an extra magazine. Yeti's amped up on weird shit are hard to bring down." Lonestar2112
YetiGS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2011, 01:09 PM   #1166
tommyid1
Adventurer

Oddometer: 89
Perhaps they changed it for the 2012 bikes comming out soon? Or are they already out
tommyid1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2011, 10:23 AM   #1167
thumper_tx
Adventurer

Oddometer: 64
New here.

I have not read thru this entire thread.
I bought the indy kit but not installed it as of yet. Can this be done on the top or it is necessary to remove the whole shock?
Completely stock set up as this bike will never see off road.
thanks
Old 08-22-2011, 10:26 AM   #1168
Motoriley
Even my posing is virtual

Oddometer: 2,649
Easy

Shock has to come out so you can press out the bushing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thumper_tx View Post
I have not read thru this entire thread.
I bought the indy kit but not installed it as of yet. Can this be done on the top or it is necessary to remove the whole shock?
Completely stock set up as this bike will never see off road.
thanks
Website - http://www.apormc.com/
Vids - http://www.youtube.com/user/Motoriley?feature=mhum
Motoriley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2011, 10:43 AM   #1169
thumper_tx
Adventurer

Oddometer: 64
Thanks.
hopefully i can pull it without having to take the rear wheel off.
Old 08-22-2011, 05:37 PM   #1170
Gumbeaux
The Chameleon

Oddometer: 790
Quote:
Originally Posted by thumper_tx View Post
Thanks.
hopefully i can pull it without having to take the rear wheel off.
Yes, you can. remove chain guard and the plastic thingy that covers the swingarm and you can get right to the bottom bolt. easy removal, even for a knucklehead like me.