User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-16-2011, 06:53 PM   #1231
Gangplank
Advenchaintourer

Oddometer: 2,294
Define "trashed"?

I've riden hard enough to bottom my front forks. Mine have been redone with real cartrige fork inserts. Didn't trash my rim. So I'm doubtful of your statement re: "average" trail.

I ride mine as hard as I like. Runs have dings but aren't destroyed. If your going to ride a 425+ lb bike like a trail bike I might suggest upgrading the suspension first.
Old 12-16-2011, 06:53 PM   #1232
johngil OP
Reseda, CA

Oddometer: 3,731
There is a way...
johngil is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2011, 06:59 PM   #1233
Apostolos
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 391
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowy View Post

It's very definitely NOT a trail bike. Not much of a road bike either. Not real flash on a dirt road. Works ok if you take it real easy everywhere. Where's the fun in that?

Fast falling out of love with the BMW brand.
Would you be willing to share how much you weigh?

I weigh around 180lbs with all my gear on and i haven't bent my bolt yet and I definitely don't take it real easy.

However, I'm still going to order the Indy kit just to be on the safe side.

God Bless,
David
Apostolos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2011, 07:03 PM   #1234
Snowy
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,633
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gangplank View Post
Define "trashed"?

I've riden hard enough to bottom my front forks. Mine have been redone with real cartrige fork inserts. Didn't trash my rim. So I'm doubtful of your statement re: "average" trail.

I ride mine as hard as I like. Runs have dings but aren't destroyed. If your going to ride a 425+ lb bike like a trail bike I might suggest upgrading the suspension first.
Average trail for something like my DR650. See picture

I ride it along there at much higher speeds regularly.

Hit a washout at reasonable pace, and it has buckled the front rim to the point that I'm throwing it away and fitting an SM PRO. I could straighten it, and have with other rims, but my experience with this says it will likely crack if it gets a hit in the same spot again.

The average tight ass will say "I've snapped mine in half and duct taped it back together for another 40,000miles"** but I take my wife away on this thing and it just isn't worth it.

My DR650 with Excel rims would hit the same washout (and has) at double the speed without even stepping out of line.

I'm just slowly get fed up with throwing money at the BMW. It was novel at first...then necessary...then repetitive. Now it's just "old".

Edit: and it has $2000 worth of "Ohlins" on it. The Ohlins is shit for the money. may as well have spent it on beer. Would have helped with the feeling I bought a heap of shit.

Small jumps and fast square edged hits are 2 completely different things in suspension terms.

**possible use of sarcasm

Snowy screwed with this post 12-16-2011 at 07:09 PM
Snowy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2011, 08:12 AM   #1235
Motoriley
Even my posing is virtual

Oddometer: 2,655
Bent out of shape

Get the Indy kit and forget the other "solutions". I'm 220 in my skivvies and bent the stock setup without going too crazy. Since Indy's setup came along all has been well for a whole season. Great value and as far as I've seen no one has bent the Indy setup, frankly I don't think it's possible. Maybe the bike will fold in half but the sleeve that fits over the upper bolt will not bend.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowy View Post
Average trail for something like my DR650. See picture

I ride it along there at much higher speeds regularly.

Hit a washout at reasonable pace, and it has buckled the front rim to the point that I'm throwing it away and fitting an SM PRO. I could straighten it, and have with other rims, but my experience with this says it will likely crack if it gets a hit in the same spot again.

The average tight ass will say "I've snapped mine in half and duct taped it back together for another 40,000miles"** but I take my wife away on this thing and it just isn't worth it.

My DR650 with Excel rims would hit the same washout (and has) at double the speed without even stepping out of line.

I'm just slowly get fed up with throwing money at the BMW. It was novel at first...then necessary...then repetitive. Now it's just "old".

Edit: and it has $2000 worth of "Ohlins" on it. The Ohlins is shit for the money. may as well have spent it on beer. Would have helped with the feeling I bought a heap of shit.

Small jumps and fast square edged hits are 2 completely different things in suspension terms.

**possible use of sarcasm
Website - http://www.apormc.com/
Vids - http://www.youtube.com/user/Motoriley?feature=mhum
Motoriley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2011, 08:51 AM   #1236
Indy Unlimited
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,274
Thanks Guys. PM me if anyone wants an Indy kit.
I got over 400 sold worldwide for both stock and all aftermarket shocks.
I am making another batch of 50 over the Christmas Holidays and they will be ready to ship out in January.

2013 Ducati Hypermotard SP, 2011 Husaberg FE570S, 2011 BMW S1000RR, 2010 BMW F800GS
2007 Husqvarna TE610 , 2003 KTM 525 MXC
Indy Unlimited is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2011, 05:02 AM   #1237
lawe
lawe

Oddometer: 141
The post about the homemade puller was great insipration, but it was not that easy to do it like that...

I ended up taking the busing apart in place by removing the inner part first and then cutting the outer part with a hack saw to remove it. Removing the inner part is quite easy. Just drill a lot of small holes through the rubber and take it out using the homemade puller and at the end a monkey wrench.

The outer part of the busher is the tricky one. I used the hack saw carefully to cut it into two pieces. I ended up with some small scratches from the hack saw inside the holder for the bushing, but I don't care to much about that.
lawe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2011, 06:42 AM   #1238
ebrabaek
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,639
Quote:
Originally Posted by lawe View Post
The post about the homemade puller was great insipration, but it was not that easy to do it like that...

I ended up taking the busing apart in place by removing the inner part first and then cutting the outer part with a hack saw to remove it. Removing the inner part is quite easy. Just drill a lot of small holes through the rubber and take it out using the homemade puller and at the end a monkey wrench.

The outer part of the busher is the tricky one. I used the hack saw carefully to cut it into two pieces. I ended up with some small scratches from the hack saw inside the holder for the bushing, but I don't care to much about that.
Yeppers...... We did two bikes.... with my home made puller..... One came out like butter..... the other one.... Not so much........

Ha det bra.....

Erling
ebrabaek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2011, 09:31 AM   #1239
Motorfiets
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,000
Quote:
Originally Posted by Indy Unlimited View Post
I am making another batch of 50 over the Christmas Holidays and they will be ready to ship out in January.

will the indy kit fit WITH the rallemoto brace?
Old 12-18-2011, 11:26 AM   #1240
johngil OP
Reseda, CA

Oddometer: 3,731
Quote:
Originally Posted by Motorfiets View Post
will the indy kit fit WITH the rallemoto brace?
I made mine fit. Had to machine a larger hole in the brace.

johngil is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2011, 07:56 PM   #1241
Snowy
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
I tried PM'ing you previously.

If you send me details for paying etc, I'll send money and a delivery address.

I figure I better fix all the things that have broken so I can sell it with all the bling and go buy something "proper".

Thanks Indy.

Signed - Out of love with the Bavarian Money Waster.
Old 01-08-2012, 12:40 AM   #1242
Snowy
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by johngil View Post
I made mine fit. Had to machine a larger hole in the brace.

Indy,

What size drill would be required for this mod?

I'm counting the seconds until the kit arrives and I'd like to be prepared so I can take the wife away next weekend.

If she spends any more time off the bike she'll probably cut my throat in my sleep.

Where I'm planning on taking her not having both the Indy kit and the RM brace is not an option after the way I already bent everything.

I'll post pics.

Cheers.
Old 01-08-2012, 04:44 AM   #1243
Indy Unlimited
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,274
My sleeve is exactly 20 mm outside diameter machined and hardened bearing surface. So a 20 mm drill will work but you should just give it to a machine shop and have them mill it for a perfect fit or at a minimum use a good drill press. My kit does not require the Best Rest product some people already had one and thought it would be added protection.. No one has managed to bend an Indy kit.

2013 Ducati Hypermotard SP, 2011 Husaberg FE570S, 2011 BMW S1000RR, 2010 BMW F800GS
2007 Husqvarna TE610 , 2003 KTM 525 MXC
Indy Unlimited is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2012, 03:07 PM   #1244
Snowy
Beastly Adventurer

Thanks. I've already got the RalleMoto thingy and a mill and a 20mm drill by pure chance (not really, got most metric drills up to 32mm).

I'm just over the BMWs habit of breaking and bending the little things.

I've been taking my old DR out and flogging the crap out of it every day for 2~3 hours of trail blasting.

In the last 20,000km of trail riding I think I've had to straighten a Barkbuster, tighten a gear lever, adjust the chain, and change the oil and filter twice. Panel beat the bash plate flat about 5 times, the welds are all cracked now (B&B), replace a broken mirror, and a broken blinker.

I wash the Air filter every time I ride it. I haven't looked at valve clearances in 30,000kms, or changed spark plugs (dual point Irridiums)

Point is, I treat it like crap, pound it down these trails, drop it, go over the bars on it, throw it into the trees, kick it straight and ride it again. A little basic maintenance and it's good for the next year.

The DR is coming up to 40,000kms of mostly off road (brutally off road mostly) and the repair costs for it haven't come close to the last 10,000kms of BMW ownership.

It feels like I just have to wash the BMW and something breaks.

See....that's what owning a BMW does to you.....turns you into a whiny sooky La La.

I always thought the GS is what the DR could have been if they updated the design.

Now I think the GS is a DR designed by a committee.
Old 01-20-2012, 06:57 PM   #1245
Snowy
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
My sleeve is exactly 20 mm outside diameter machined and hardened bearing surface. So a 20 mm drill will work but you should just give it to a machine shop and have them mill it for a perfect fit or at a minimum use a good drill press. My kit does not require the Best Rest product some people already had one and thought it would be added protection.. No one has managed to bend an Indy kit.
Sorted.

Got the top and bottom Indy kits, thanks Dan. Perfect service, parts arrived as advertised.

Made the mods to the other brace and put it all together last night.

I had a break for dinner and the thunderstorm from hell broke while the bike was in pieces parked in the open. Amazing lightning display over head.

I think even God hates BMWs.

But it's back together and I have some faith in it restored.

Now to go and try to break it.

Oh, and I had a holdup on the new rim arriving. The shop involved took my credit card details and never got back to me. Closed over Christmas. So I ended up modifying a large g-clamp and using it to straighten the dinged/flatspotted section of rim. It isn't perfect, but it'll do. It isn't right on the weld, so I hope it doesn't crack. The rims were amazingly soft compared to the Excel rims I've fixed.

The next day I discovered the Excel rim on my DR was cracked through the weld, so I laced on a brand new one and then went out and buckled the daylights out of it on a large rock at 110kph. Playing "show pony" in front of a friend.

In the interest of fairness - The amount of buckle in the Excel was much less than the BMW rim, and I was doing "suicidal" speed under the circumstances by direct comparison. But it is still possible.