Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-25-2009, 12:55 PM   #121
tmex
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,039
Quote:
Originally Posted by ]I)Money
I don't think I was very clear. I called it a red herring because the original bending happened with the stock shock in place. My opinion is that, once bent, the mount is pretty likely to bend again, even with a theoretically better shock in place.
True. Unfortunately John does not have that part documented photographically. I were a dealer, I might be inclined to be skeptical.
Old 08-25-2009, 01:04 PM   #122
johngil OP
Reseda, CA

Oddometer: 3,792
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmex
True. Unfortunately John does not have that part documented photographically. I were a dealer, I might be inclined to be skeptical.

I'm working on mileage and dates. I have quite a few bent bolts. I believe the dealer has the original. This photo isn't very easy to interpret. Viewing the stock shock in person shows much more.
I will admit to not categorically documenting things the way I should have. Hell, this thing started out as just another motorcycle for me.
johngil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2009, 01:15 PM   #123
tmex
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,039
Eh?

Quote:
Originally Posted by johngil

I'm working on mileage and dates. I have quite a few bent bolts. I believe the dealer has the original. This photo isn't very easy to interpret. Viewing the stock shock in person shows much more.
I will admit to not categorically documenting things the way I should have. Hell, this thing started out as just another motorcycle for me.
I know exactly what you mean. I am beginning to have some doubts developing as well. I am in denial at the moment. BTW, I talked to two dealers today, and neither one is giving me warranty coverage on the grenaded wheel bearing. At this point I just want to bring my bike home so I am not arguing.
Old 08-25-2009, 01:27 PM   #124
YetiGS
No Talent Ass Clown

Oddometer: 7,346
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmex
I know exactly what you mean. I am beginning to have some doubts developing as well. I am in denial at the moment. BTW, I talked to two dealers today, and neither one is giving me warranty coverage on the grenaded wheel bearing. At this point I just want to bring my bike home so I am not arguing.
Wtf?? (On them not covering it, I read your post about it grnading.)
"You had better bring an extra magazine. Yeti's amped up on weird shit are hard to bring down." Lonestar2112
YetiGS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2009, 01:37 PM   #125
DockingPilot
Hooked Up and Hard Over

Oddometer: 9,376
Bruno, did yours bend as well ?

"Every bike I ever had, was the best bike I ever had, when I had it"
DockingPilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2009, 01:56 PM   #126
Bruno T .
N8YQ

Oddometer: 1,901
Quote:
Originally Posted by DockingPilot
Bruno, did yours bend as well ?
Yes, Frank. It did. The top one and the bottom one.
Bruno T . is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2009, 01:58 PM   #127
DockingPilot
Hooked Up and Hard Over

Holy flip !
Same outcome as John ?

Old 08-25-2009, 02:20 PM   #128
itsatdm
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,732
I think the shock mount not being torqued adequately from the factory is a distinct possibility. Thats based on enough reported cases of improper torque values being applied to rear sprockets, clutches and steering head bearings. I am not an engineer so I will reserve judgement on the strength of the design, though intuitively I still have trouble with two bushings butted together at 74ft# will adequately prevent the bolt from bending. How much that supported bolt load is spread over both mounts is also open to question. One look at the mounting flanges makes it obvious which one is expected to receive the most load. I am sure BMW studied how much the "lever" effect of the left mounting flange will multiply the amount of force being applied to the crossmember, at least I hope so.
itsatdm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2009, 02:27 PM   #129
DockingPilot
Hooked Up and Hard Over

Quote:
Originally Posted by itsatdm
I am sure BMW studied how much the "lever" effect of the left mounting flange will multiply the amount of force being applied to the crossmember, at least I hope so.
Of course! The same dept who studied how to design the BMW final drive

Old 08-25-2009, 02:35 PM   #130
Bruno T .
N8YQ

Quote:
Originally Posted by DockingPilot
Holy flip !
Same outcome as John ?
I couldn't source a replacement Ohlins or a factory shock down there. I had to have my factory shock shipped down to me so that i could proceed with my ride.

Since i couldn't locate a new upper bolt quickly enough, we straightened the one i had. We put it all back together with the Sachs shock and straightened upper bolt, rode it like that for approximately 3,000 miles without incident.

The straightened bolt did not deform again until it was replaced by a new one upon my return home.

Since then it's been ridden another 4,000 miles, including several dual sport rides, without incident. I last checked both bolts about a week ago, with a dial indicator and V block.
Old 08-25-2009, 06:19 PM   #131
guzzimike
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,396
Hope this is not taken as a rude question, but John & Bruno, how much do you guys weigh? And what weight of luggage would be typical?

East is East & West is West 2008
http://www.advrider.com/forums/ad.php?t=400050
A Long Weekend 2009
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=523893
All the Way to Nowhere & Back Again. 2010
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=619683

Save 5 bucks on your Smugmug, use my discount code
hQo9Atub1N9jg

guzzimike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2009, 06:35 PM   #132
johngil OP
Reseda, CA

Oddometer: 3,792
With tools, water, extra fuel, etc. and my petite ass I'm @ 240-260 pounds combined.
Loaded for a longer trip and panniers full of clothes and beer the bike weighed in @ 560 pounds. That isn't typical for me, and I sure as hell wouldn't be tearing it up w/ that kind of weight in the dirt.
johngil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2009, 07:50 PM   #133
Bruno T .
N8YQ

I weigh 190.

Weight had little to do with my particular failure, i hit a pretty substantial G-out at speed which caused my shock to bottom. Ohlins replaced my shock saying that they had "determined the cause of the failure".

The replacement shock was built with a higher rate spring.

I thought that Ohlins handled the situation very well. They could very easily have refused to warranty my shock based on the fact that they cannot build a product that will withstand any and all possible loads.

I'm not sure whether my Ohlins shock that failed was built with a correct rate spring, maybe it was, maybe not. I did provide all of the pertinent information required (weight, etc.) when i ordered it.

Let's say, arguendo, that my shock was built with a lower than adequate rate spring. I'm not sure that even a higher rate spring would have prevented the failure. It most likely would have helped, but who knows whether or not it would have prevented it.
Old 08-25-2009, 08:58 PM   #134
YetiGS
No Talent Ass Clown

Oddometer: 7,346
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruno T .
I weigh 190.

Weight had little to do with my particular failure, i hit a pretty substantial G-out at speed which caused my shock to bottom. Ohlins replaced my shock saying that they had "determined the cause of the failure".

The replacement shock was built with a higher rate spring.

I thought that Ohlins handled the situation very well. They could very easily have refused to warranty my shock based on the fact that they cannot build a product that will withstand any and all possible loads.

I'm not sure whether my Ohlins shock that failed was built with a correct rate spring, maybe it was, maybe not. I did provide all of the pertinent information required (weight, etc.) when i ordered it.

Let's say, arguendo, that my shock was built with a lower than adequate rate spring. I'm not sure that even a higher rate spring would have prevented the failure. It most likely would have helped, but who knows whether or not it would have prevented it.
When your bolt bent, did the mounts bend too?
"You had better bring an extra magazine. Yeti's amped up on weird shit are hard to bring down." Lonestar2112
YetiGS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2009, 05:37 AM   #135
RedUly
Esse Quam Videri

Oddometer: 5,737
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoelWisman
Don't ask how this happened, in short it was not intentional and passenger has still not forgiven me.
Still sleeping on the couch?
I think people who are that bad at lying are probably too stupid to be taken seriously. - #18
You're a slut. But you're cute, so it's ok. - MayQueen
RedUly is offline   Reply With Quote