Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > GSpot > Parallel Universe
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-17-2013, 08:36 PM   #1381
mustardfj40
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 140
I quickly went through some 30 pages but couldn't find the order information on the Indy shock bolts, can someone please post the link the this Indy shock bolt? Thanks.
mustardfj40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 09:08 PM   #1382
ebrabaek
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,617
Quote:
Originally Posted by mustardfj40 View Post
I quickly went through some 30 pages but couldn't find the order information on the Indy shock bolts, can someone please post the link the this Indy shock bolt? Thanks.
Just send Indy a pm.... He will give you the info.

Erling
ebrabaek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 09:19 PM   #1383
Indy Unlimited
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,262
Yeah PM or email me for a kit for your rear shock. I stock and ship worldwide.

2013 Ducati Hypermotard SP, 2011 Husaberg FE570S, 2011 BMW S1000RR, 2010 BMW F800GS
2007 Husqvarna TE610 , 2003 KTM 525 MXC
Indy Unlimited is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 07:32 AM   #1384
MCMXCIVRS
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,211
Got my Ohlins front and rear on order and the kit is on its way too. Thanks Indy.

I'll see how the bolt looks when I get to the install, haven't been too rough on the bike, but have been over lots of rough going fully loaded.

2009 BMW F800GS, 2008 BMW K1200GT
MCMXCIVRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 02:55 AM   #1385
Snowy
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,620

You can see the damage here in these pics. The bearing shell has dents in it from the rollers.

So.....back to the drawing board.
Snowy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 02:59 AM   #1386
Snowy
Beastly Adventurer

I did get extremely airborne off a bridge on a dirt road last weekend.

Funny stuff, wifey screamed for about a kilometre.
Old 02-24-2013, 05:28 AM   #1387
Indy Unlimited
Beastly Adventurer

Hey Snowy, Looks to me like a clearance issue.
The thin walled roller bearings looks to tight in the shock bore.
This can cause the sleeve to not roll. That maybe why the dents are in one spot on the outside of the bearing. Are the dents on the outside of the bearings on the entire circumference or just one half?
When installing a new set of bearings in the shock check that the sleeve spins in your hand. PM me if you want to reinstall a new kit for free.

2013 Ducati Hypermotard SP, 2011 Husaberg FE570S, 2011 BMW S1000RR, 2010 BMW F800GS
Old 02-24-2013, 05:44 AM   #1388
ccooper
Adventurer

Oddometer: 53
Come on BMW, fix this crap. Add another frame tab to shorten the distance of the top bolt (and maybe use thicker bolt) and problem solved. Simple and cheap and easy during frame manufacture. I still got my 2013 F800GS ordered, but I'm still really nervous about it. Indy, thanks for your PM's...I'll most likely order your kit when my bike comes in around April...if I don't cancel the order first.
ccooper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 05:55 AM   #1389
Indy Unlimited
Beastly Adventurer

We all know the stock set up is a weak design especially for off road use.
I have over 750 Indy kits sold worldwide in the last 2 years and I will continue to offer a solution to fellow GS owners that love the bike.
The Indy kit may not be perfect but is still better than bending the stock frame tabs or mount hardware and it won't damage your bike.

Old 02-24-2013, 06:48 AM   #1390
ccooper
Adventurer

Oddometer: 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by Indy Unlimited View Post
We all know the stock set up is a weak design especially for off road use.
I have over 750 Indy kits sold worldwide in the last 2 years and I will continue to offer a solution to fellow GS owners that love the bike.
The Indy kit may not be perfect but is still better than bending the stock frame tabs or mount hardware and it won't damage your bike.
Big thanks to you for doing the homework and spending the time to produce this solution. It makes my decision to purchase this bike a little easier. It just astounds me to why BMW hasn't already recognized this problem, engineered the fix (easy IMHO) and put it in production. For prior customers, they should at least offer your kit (or BMW's equivalent) installed under warranty to prevent any future problems. I'm sure the # of bikes affected by this is small, but if only a few, why not correct it when it's so easy.
ccooper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 04:35 AM   #1391
Snowy
Beastly Adventurer

I'm not sour on the kit. With the roads....tracks, loads and enthusiastic riding it's had something had to give.

Everything worked fine until I changed the front end. Then I started riding on average about 15 - 20% faster.

I think this is an end result of a few too many experiments with gravity.

But wow it was fun.
Old 02-26-2013, 01:07 AM   #1392
Snowy
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Hey Snowy, Looks to me like a clearance issue.
The thin walled roller bearings looks to tight in the shock bore.
This can cause the sleeve to not roll. That maybe why the dents are in one spot on the outside of the bearing. Are the dents on the outside of the bearings on the entire circumference or just one half?
When installing a new set of bearings in the shock check that the sleeve spins in your hand. PM me if you want to reinstall a new kit for free.
The sleeve spun in the bearing perfectly prior to the free play being felt at the rear axle. Clearance was good, bearings pressed in really easy, they didn't come out anywhere near as easy.

The rollers have been punched into the shell so hard they left dents in the bore in the shock. All positioned in such a way as to indicate that extreme compression occurred.

I'm going to strip it down again this weekend and disconnect the electronics, cut the shock mounts off the frame and start from scratch and weld on some new ones.

It's reached the point where I start cutting and welding.

Such is life.
Old 02-26-2013, 03:26 AM   #1393
Gaspare
Almost dirt rider

Oddometer: 62
I do recommend to follow a specific welding procedure, proper for Manganese steel (our frame material).

Since the Manganese steels have a tendency to become brittle if they undergo overheating followed by a slow cooling, during welding is a must to maintain interpass temperatures below 200 C, carefully controlling the heat input and trying to take the following precautions:
• avoid any kind of preheating
• Use low current
• deposit and cordons (sorry: don't know tech terminology) pulled quickly rather than slow and worked
• If possible, work simultaneously on several components
• apply water onto the workpiece during welding intervals to facilitate cooling.

The weld joint must be made ​​with filler materials steels of the austenitic type in order to obtain a strong and tough joint.

Good work

Gaspare screwed with this post 02-26-2013 at 06:50 AM
Gaspare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 04:13 PM   #1394
Indy Unlimited
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowy View Post
The sleeve spun in the bearing perfectly prior to the free play being felt at the rear axle. Clearance was good, bearings pressed in really easy, they didn't come out anywhere near as easy.

The rollers have been punched into the shell so hard they left dents in the bore in the shock. All positioned in such a way as to indicate that extreme compression occurred.
Hey Snowy want to consider using a self lubricating bushing.
I use them for the kits on the new WP shock which uses a 25 mm bore instead of the 26 mm bore on ohlins and others.

Old 02-26-2013, 05:37 PM   #1395
cisco
old fat guy

Oddometer: 277
Quote:
Hey Snowy want to consider using a self lubricating bushing.
I use them for the kits on the new WP shock which uses a 25 mm bore instead of the 26 mm bore on ohlins and others.
This. I'll bet this will do the trick
Cisco
cisco is offline   Reply With Quote