Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > GSpot > Parallel Universe
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-26-2013, 05:56 PM   #1396
Indy Unlimited
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,249
Hey Snowy these bushings can do the job for your heavy duty off road riding for a bearing:

Oilite 20x26x20

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...WGHXSY4XHBX0DG

It is a direct replacement for my needle bearing which is 20 x 26 x 20 as well.
If interested I will buy a kit and send you 2 under warranty.

I may just make all my aftermarket kits with self lubricating bushings based on your 2 up loaded riding experience.
The stock shock has larger 28 mm bore for larger rollers.
The aftermarket bores range from 26 mm to 25 mm depending on the shock brand and age. Seems like WP and Hyperpro are now using 25 mm bores.

2013 Ducati Hypermotard SP, 2011 Husaberg FE570S, 2011 BMW S1000RR, 2010 BMW F800GS
2007 Husqvarna TE610 , 2003 KTM 525 MXC

Indy Unlimited screwed with this post 02-26-2013 at 06:03 PM
Indy Unlimited is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 10:02 PM   #1397
johngil OP
Reseda, CA

Oddometer: 3,680
While I no longer own my 800, I had the same wear patterns as Snowy with my kit. I just accepted the fact that I would need to frequently grease and every year or so replace my kit. The new bushing may be an improvement.
I think Dan has done an amazing job of keeping the 800's of the world going strong.
Nice work!
johngil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 04:23 AM   #1398
Snowy
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,606
I was thinking a phosphur bronze bush, soaked in molly before install.
Snowy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 07:57 AM   #1399
petzi-baer
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 184
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowy View Post
I did get extremely airborne off a bridge on a dirt road last weekend.

Funny stuff, wifey screamed for about a kilometre.
So how is the frame looking?

Petzi-baer
petzi-baer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 03:00 AM   #1400
Snowy
Beastly Adventurer

Frame is fine. It rarely bottoms, even 2 up and airborne.

The Ohlins had 2 revalves and 3 resprings. Currently running a 22.9kg/mm rear spring with about 12mm of preload.

Fully loaded 2 up with gear sag is 70mm.

The shock mount on the frame is slightly twisted from the bent shock bolts.
Old 03-05-2013, 09:18 AM   #1401
Happycamper
Have bikes, will travel

Oddometer: 551
PM sent on kit

Indy,

You have a PM.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indy Unlimited View Post
Hey Snowy these bushings can do the job for your heavy duty off road riding for a bearing:

Oilite 20x26x20

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...WGHXSY4XHBX0DG

It is a direct replacement for my needle bearing which is 20 x 26 x 20 as well.
If interested I will buy a kit and send you 2 under warranty.

I may just make all my aftermarket kits with self lubricating bushings based on your 2 up loaded riding experience.
The stock shock has larger 28 mm bore for larger rollers.
The aftermarket bores range from 26 mm to 25 mm depending on the shock brand and age. Seems like WP and Hyperpro are now using 25 mm bores.

2007 G650 Xchallenge
2009 F800GS
Happycamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 02:09 AM   #1402
XT Traveler
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 305
Best Rest Shock Bolt Support Brace

Just a heads up to anyone with a 2013 F800GS -- the Best RestShock Bolt Support Brace ddoes not fit the 2013 F800GS without significant modification. I have the ESA version but I doubt that it is different that the other 2013 in this respect.

I had to remove a .324" slab from a significant part of the lower portion of the brace to make it work on mine (this was not removed from the area where the shock bolt goes through or the area where it bolts to the frame but rather the area which loops under the tubular frame portion. If I had a milling machine there was probably a more elegant and less invasive approach but I didn't.

The 2013 model now has a threaded boss, a bolt, and a plastic bracket installed on the large tubular portion of the frame that the brace slips around (sorry I didn't think to take picture until I'd already made the mods and installed it -- I was a little frustrated at the time). I don't think the modification significantly alters the functionality or basic integity of the brace. I will be calling David at Best Rest later today to let him know what I found. So anyhow heads up for you 2013 owners.
XT Traveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 04:47 AM   #1403
ccooper
Adventurer

Oddometer: 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by XT Traveler View Post
Just a heads up to anyone with a 2013 F800GS -- the Best RestShock Bolt Support Brace ddoes not fit the 2013 F800GS without significant modification. I have the ESA version but I doubt that it is different that the other 2013 in this respect.

I had to remove a .324" slab from a significant part of the lower portion of the brace to make it work on mine (this was not removed from the area where the shock bolt goes through or the area where it bolts to the frame but rather the area which loops under the tubular frame portion. If I had a milling machine there was probably a more elegant and less invasive approach but I didn't.

The 2013 model now has a threaded boss, a bolt, and a plastic bracket installed on the large tubular portion of the frame that the brace slips around (sorry I didn't think to take picture until I'd already made the mods and installed it -- I was a little frustrated at the time). I don't think the modification significantly alters the functionality or basic integity of the brace. I will be calling David at Best Rest later today to let him know what I found. So anyhow heads up for you 2013 owners.
Thanks for the heads up...I was thinking about ordering the BestRest brace to drill out and use with the Indy kit for my f800gs I have on order. Guess I will just do the Indy kit alone now. I've been hoping BMW would change the design for or during 2013, but I guess not.
ccooper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 11:16 PM   #1404
Dream Rider
Servant

Oddometer: 192
bent bolt

Quote:
Originally Posted by johngil View Post
You are correct that the cross tube can't be straightened in my opinion. As for replacing it, I don't know. It's pretty much socked in.
I have some ideas if I'm forced to repair this myself. I just don't want to go there. I'm an electrician, not a bike builder. I will use my insurance if need be. I couldn't sell the bike w/ any home made repair job w/o full disclosure.

signed, disappointed
after reading many of the suggestions/ideas, I did not see anyone address the strength of the bolt. Something about the picture of the bolt that strikes me as being of inferior quality/strength. check the markings on the head to determine strength. I actually KICKED the head of a bolt off while in a missile silo. Seems that the heads cracked under correct torque values. Bad batch, poor QC. Cost the contractor a ton to replace. possible, possible.
Dream Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 01:31 AM   #1405
OZZY-GS
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 368
Keep reading, the first fix for this problem is a newer stronger bolt.
Old 03-12-2013, 04:08 AM   #1406
Snowy
Beastly Adventurer

The last bolt I bent was grade 12.9. Bent it real good.

Wouldn't matter what grade it was. That much length unsupported is going to bend.

I'm waiting for winter and stripping down to the frame and cutting the mounts off and starting again.

At the moment I have the bestrest bracket, modified, with the hardened 20mm sleeve inside it, cut to the same width as the bracket. I used the standard Ohlins mounting hardware and the higher grade bolt. I gave the standard mounting hardware a good clean and plenty of moly grease.

It actually feels much better, even though all I've really achieved is removing the excessive clearance at the bearings. High speed on gravel feels much more planted.

We'll see how long it lasts.
Old 03-18-2013, 12:34 AM   #1407
Baitfish
Adventurer

Oddometer: 22
Just a little bent

So, with maybe doing the APC 14 day in mind, I thought I'd better check out my top mount bolt. I expected it to be ok because before I got this bike it had done 16000km of pure bitumen and only 4000 km of mixed easy to hard dirt since I got it. It has a stock rear shock and the bolt was F.T. but when I pulled it out, it has a slight bend in it - something in order of 1mm runout.
Looks like time to upgrade the rear to match the shiver front. Anyone got a setup for an extra 30 or 40mm travel?
Baitfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 03:50 AM   #1408
Snowy
Beastly Adventurer

Yes, if you want to start throwing major parts away and deviate from stock with a lot of garage engineering done over a bottle of Bundy OP rum.

No, if you want to keep it mostly stock.

It takes very little to bend the bolts as you described, in my experience. One good square edged hit, you probably wouldn't even think twice about it when it happens. It's that easy.

The guys who posted pics saying they jump them and don't bend bolts...well...let's hope they understand irony and post up what eventually went wrong for them.

I'm guessing they wont.
Old 03-19-2013, 03:30 PM   #1409
MCMXCIVRS
Begining the Adventure

Oddometer: 1,200
Got my new Ohlions installed today with the Indy kit. I took a bit of time to make a set of mandrels to press out the original bearing from the shock and to press in the new one. I also made a backing block to support the shock end in my arbor press.

That made the job of changing out the bearing very quick and easy.

Next, I decided that rather than use the o-rings as spacers, I would make a pair of aluminum spacer rings. I also made a sleeve to fit in the rubber bushing so that it was a better fit to the new spacer. The sleeve is just a strip of aluminum rolled to fit.

The final result looks as though nothing was changed.

2009 BMW F800GS, 2008 BMW K1200GT
MCMXCIVRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 05:32 PM   #1410
Indy Unlimited
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,249
Great custom install job!

The sleeve under the rubber is a good idea.
Solid spacers are best but I can't find anything off the shelf that will work.

2013 Ducati Hypermotard SP, 2011 Husaberg FE570S, 2011 BMW S1000RR, 2010 BMW F800GS
2007 Husqvarna TE610 , 2003 KTM 525 MXC
Indy Unlimited is offline   Reply With Quote