Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,484
No - thank you for making it!!

Bayner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2013, 07:11 PM   #1457
Snowy
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,650
I had originally combined the Indy kit and the "Best rest" solution, like one of the other inmates did...maybe JohnGil...I can't remember now.

When I had the needle bearing failure I went back to the original Ohlins self centring bearing. The problem was that the needle bearing had slightly stretched the hole in the shock. I cut down the Indy sleave so that it didn't protrude through the "Best Rest" bracket, and put it all back together.

The shock slipped sideways off the top bearing and then just flapped around. This became apparent when it happened, so a trail side repair was done. It isn't pretty. The bottom bearing is ok. Only the top one was loose.

I had another go at fixing it shortly after and made some bronze sleaves (because I had some bronze fittings with the right I.D.) that keep the shock centred, and stop any potential movement of the bearing in the shock body. I also brutalised the shock body right on top of the bearing with a centre punch to tighten the bore. I figure it was almost a throw away anyway.

It's gotten complicated. With this set up, I have basically the best Rest bracket, with a hardened sleave insert, and the original Ohlins bearing. The bolts will still bend, very slightly, because the main bracket on the frame is slightly twisted from the original bolt bending. I have a few of the bolts that I bought all at once. Every time I pull it apart I change the bolt...just in case.

When I get around to the valve clearance check I'm going to strip everything right down and weld on new shock mounts. For now it seems to be doing ok.
Snowy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2013, 07:27 PM   #1458
runnin4melife
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 803
Snowy, you could lose some weight and they wouldn't bend so much
runnin4melife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2013, 03:27 AM   #1459
Snowy
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,650

Not sure if serious......or trolling for forum fight....

Snowy screwed with this post 11-20-2013 at 07:20 AM
Snowy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2013, 04:24 PM   #1460
rossaduc
Adventurer

Oddometer: 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by johngil View Post
Like any regular bike that I have worked on for the last 30+ years?
I will not pretend to be some kind of mechanical genius or anything cause I think any dumb ass could look at this and see mechanically it is hokey. Fundamental flaw was mounting shock in the middle of a structure that was not rigid across the entire span, anchoring points at both ends, ie. tabs weak. So what could have been the fix? Bigger bolt, solid metal sleeves to take up as much side play as necessary and locate shock and a proper way to fasten that bolt on both ends, tabs reinforced so they can not bend and washers/bushings at both ends to distribute the load across larger surface at tabs. it was simply under engineered not robust enough, is this the same sort of mount as on the 650/700 including street versions? Only question that may explain this based on Ohlins, how much firmer were the spring rates for Ohlins? Could be BMW spring rates across range of preload soft and Ohlins rates a lot higher, meaning then the mount too weak for the increased stiffness of spring. but that would be first time I ever saw that weakness in a stock shock mount. Typical mounts for shocks much narrower, so load better supported. Can you overtighten that bolt bending the tabs? I think I saw your fix on ebay and it is a good start at doing something but it does not fix the overall design flaw, just buttresses it up a bit. Would not be the first time BMW took a perfectly good thing and missed something. I think the fact that happens to anybody even once is too many. I have also had experience with BMW that no one else ever seemed to experience, did not make it any less frustrating. R
rossaduc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2014, 12:44 PM   #1461
grandpa_ken
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 220
The Ohlins BM303 shock I received has a solid 20mm OD x 12mm ID x 40mm L sleeve with a needle bearing and a high strength bolt for the upper mount. The lower mount has the 2-piece spacers. Ohlins must be paying attention. I'm going to use a longer 74mm sleeve to span the full gap.
Old 01-12-2014, 12:49 PM   #1462
GeeK_InsiDe
Moore Gas!!!

Oddometer: 280
Is this problem solved for 2013 models?
GeeK_InsiDe is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2014, 01:53 PM   #1463
Loutre
Cosmopolitan Adv

Oddometer: 3,442
Depends on how hard you're trying offroad... or give one to snowy and let him give you some feedback
You can be imitated but not replaced. You're such a special blend the recipe is guarded like KFC's 11 herbs and spices.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reaver View Post

Loutre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2014, 02:01 PM   #1464
GeeK_InsiDe
Moore Gas!!!

Oddometer: 280
Not hard but that's not reassuring
GeeK_InsiDe is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2014, 02:25 PM   #1465
Indy Unlimited
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,288
Eek

Hey GrandPa,

the sleeve needs to be 70 mm long.
Maybe your frame mount tabs have already spread the extra 4 mm.

Quote:
Originally Posted by grandpa_ken View Post
The Ohlins BM303 shock I received has a solid 20mm OD x 12mm ID x 40mm L sleeve with a needle bearing and a high strength bolt for the upper mount. The lower mount has the 2-piece spacers. Ohlins must be paying attention. I'm going to use a longer 74mm sleeve to span the full gap.

2013 Ducati Hypermotard SP, 2011 Husaberg FE570S, 2011 BMW S1000RR, 2010 BMW F800GS
2007 Husqvarna TE610 , 2003 KTM 525 MXC
Indy Unlimited is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2014, 02:27 PM   #1466
Motoriley
Even my posing is virtual

Oddometer: 2,673
70 or 74

The tabs move closer together when the frame bends.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indy Unlimited View Post
Hey GrandPa,

Website - http://www.apormc.com/
Vids - http://www.youtube.com/user/Motoriley?feature=mhum
Motoriley is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2014, 03:05 PM   #1467
grandpa_ken
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 220
Quote:
Originally Posted by Indy Unlimited View Post
Hey GrandPa,

Thankfully my frame is straight. My thought was that the 74mm length will extend the sleeve into the center mount spanning the full gap for more support. I will trim the length of the threaded "nut" or use a longer bolt if needed. What are your thoughts on this?
Thanks Indy.
Old 01-12-2014, 08:06 PM   #1468
Fearless Whetu
Aussie Kiwi

Oddometer: 239
Could something similar to what Indy had going be specified and made by a local engineering company ? It sounds like an essential bit of kit for this bike.
Old 01-12-2014, 08:33 PM   #1469
Indy Unlimited
Beastly Adventurer

Yes you want to span the full gap. I think 70 mm gives you less than a mm of play.

Quote:
Originally Posted by grandpa_ken View Post
Thankfully my frame is straight. My thought was that the 74mm length will extend the sleeve into the center mount spanning the full gap for more support. I will trim the length of the threaded "nut" or use a longer bolt if needed. What are your thoughts on this?
Thanks Indy.

2013 Ducati Hypermotard SP, 2011 Husaberg FE570S, 2011 BMW S1000RR, 2010 BMW F800GS
Old 01-12-2014, 08:45 PM   #1470
Indy Unlimited
Beastly Adventurer

I was making the kits for years and sold 1000 kits worldwide. Demand is now down to 2 or 3 inquires per month for the last 9 months. No one can justify making small batches and sell them at a decent price. I made batches of 250 at a time. Some one else thought of taking over the sales but I warned them that inquires are down to a trickle from a dozen kits per week to a few per month.
Unfortunately the guys buying F800GS do not appear as hardcore as the guys who bought them the first few years (2009 to 2012) that they came out. So sales of the F800GS seems to continue pretty strong worldwide but the majority appear to be happy with the stock set up or are not hard core off roaders.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fearless Whetu View Post
Could something similar to what Indy had going be specified and made by a local engineering company ? It sounds like an essential bit of kit for this bike.