Classic
Human Ills is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2009, 12:11 PM   #77
Twilight Error
Going nowhere slowly

Oddometer: 22,395
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dranrab Luap
Have you ever attended a short track stock car event?

Someone had to throw a brick at this NASCAR Love-in....
Old 07-20-2009, 01:24 PM   #78
Dano 407
One Man Wolfpack

Oddometer: 6,300
Do any of you guys watch Speed Channel's "Wind Tunnel" with Dave Despain on Sunday nights? I believe he does the best job of discussing the motorsports happenings of the week with a critical eye. Some fluff, and some frivolity, but a real discussion each week.
Robin Miller was on there yesterday and they hold no cows sacred between them; it is entertaining television, if you are into motorsports.
Old 07-20-2009, 01:30 PM   #79
Dranrab Luap
E-Tarded

Oddometer: 29,825
Quote:
Originally Posted by Twilight Error

Someone had to throw a brick at this NASCAR Love-in....
I don't go to many spectator events at all. I'd rather being doing something myself than watching somebody else do something. Short track stock car racing is just a damn good time though. I try to go a couple times a year to a local track. I sit on the front row at the finish line.
Dranrab Luap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2009, 01:40 PM   #80
exwingnut
Entremanure

Oddometer: 8,993
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dranrab Luap
I don't go to many spectator events at all. I'd rather being doing something myself than watching somebody else do something. Short track stock car racing is just a damn good time though. I try to go a couple times a year to a local track. I sit on the front row at the finish line.
I have a dirt 3/8 mile banked track less than a mile from my house, it is always a good show and worth the money I spend to attend.

Mmmmmm, sideways.
Old 07-20-2009, 06:21 PM   #81
wxwax
Excited Member

Oddometer: 72,371
Quote:
Originally Posted by Human Ills
That sounds totally contradictory. How can a liberal interpretation of the rules be cheaper?
That's an excellent question and one Max Mosley was never forced to answer. Self-evidently absurd. One reason why he'll be gone in November.

It has been said that man is a rational animal. All my life I have been searching for evidence which could support this.
-- Bertrand Russell

To make an apple pie from scratch,
you must first invent the universe.
-- Carl Sagan
wxwax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2009, 06:21 PM   #82
wxwax
Excited Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Human Ills
I should start an F1 thread. I'm working on a title, I'm pretty sure the word snob will make it's way into it.
We have one. It's in the racing forum. Drop by.

It has been said that man is a rational animal. All my life I have been searching for evidence which could support this.
-- Bertrand Russell

-- Carl Sagan
Old 07-20-2009, 06:23 PM   #83
wxwax
Excited Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dano 407
Do any of you guys watch Speed Channel's "Wind Tunnel" with Dave Despain on Sunday nights? I believe he does the best job of discussing the motorsports happenings of the week with a critical eye. Some fluff, and some frivolity, but a real discussion each week.
Robin Miller was on there yesterday and they hold no cows sacred between them; it is entertaining television, if you are into motorsports.
I have from time to time. There is some good stuff. Unfortunately, I think Despain is a windbag.

-- Bertrand Russell

-- Carl Sagan
Old 07-20-2009, 06:25 PM   #84
KTMRyder
throttle jockey

Oddometer: 3,812
I don't think Nascar is lying, he's in denial.
Aaron Fike was taking heroin before truck races, at least he admintted it.
his career is effectively over, even USAC told him he would be drug tested regularly if he returned to race midgets.

Thraan, a World of Outlaws sprint show is great, lots of speed but not a lot of passing for the lead most of the time. the winner usually comes from the front 2 or 3 rows.
the cars have huge tires and a bunch of wing to hook it up.

if you are in Cali you need to get to a USAC/CRA show
non wing sprint cars are tougher to drive, more sideways action and a leader can come from the back of the pack sometimes.

I am not a big fan of dirt track stock cars, my Dad was a sprint car racer, he wouldn't walk across the street to see a stock car race.
he was a big fan of the flat track and speedway bikes, he liked that sideways stuff.
The last race I was able to take my Dad to was local non wing show that paid 10K to win, always remember that one, we had a great time.

Thraan, here's a little sideways action for ya.

KTMRyder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2009, 07:06 PM   #85
ElusivePedro
Layin' Low

Oddometer: 2,584
I like NASCAR - way more for the team-work in the pits and backwaters than the drivers. I like them (even the drivers) in all vexes... X ,Y, Z. or otherwise. The owners are just big-rich, and really, (come on) don't play anything 'cept corporate-sponsored figure heads. (Jack Roush? With the "signature hat"?) ... meh.

Whatever.

I dislike hearing dummies who don't follow the sport saying that they "only turn left" - that's stupid. Really dumb.

The drivers matter, of course, but they wax and wane every quarter. For instance, my friend loves Mark Martin - and from what I can tell, he's doing pretty good this year. I think that she just likes him because he's an old guy like me.

Given that I am a Matt Kenseth fan, I can't believe I am writing this shit. He has sucked almost all the time albeit, since his Championship.

Now, I have liked the way that that tiny little weed Joey Lagano has worked out...I am starting to like Tony Stewart (his boss) again, now that he isn't such a jackass.

Ryan Newman has always been up there too.

I liked the old, typical, redneck, beer-drinker-fan of Earnhardt's 03 - but - alas, I never found him all that GD appealing. I am sorry he died. He was one of the best. The wreck he died in wasn't worthy of his kick ass spirit.

There is WAY MORE than just turning left. I have been studying it for almost 10 years.

I LIKE full bodied, 3000 pound cars battling around an oval.

Daytona is next weekend.

Cool beans.

Go 17, 20, and 39 (Ryan Newman - the other driver that's okay)

All I'd say is put some GD windshield wipers and threaded tires on them when on the road courses. (I've seen wipers before)
"Buttercup" - '04 AN250 Helix
ElusivePedro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2009, 07:23 PM   #86
Thraan
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 27,752
Quote:
Originally Posted by KTMRyder
his career is effectively over, even USAC told him he would be drug tested regularly if he returned to race midgets.

Thraan, a World of Outlaws sprint show is great, lots of speed but not a lot of passing for the lead most of the time. the winner usually comes from the front 2 or 3 rows.

non wing sprint cars are tougher to drive, more sideways action and a leader can come from the back of the pack sometimes.

I am not a big fan of dirt track stock cars, my Dad was a sprint car racer, he wouldn't walk across the street to see a stock car race.
he was a big fan of the flat track and speedway bikes, he liked that sideways stuff.
The last race I was able to take my Dad to was local non wing show that paid 10K to win, always remember that one, we had a great time.

Yeah! That's some great entertaining racing. Many thanks for sharing!
Old 07-20-2009, 09:19 PM   #87
wxwax
Excited Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete_Court
All I'd say is put some GD windshield wipers and threaded tires on them when on the road courses. (I've seen wipers before)
Werd.

-- Bertrand Russell

-- Carl Sagan
Old 07-20-2009, 10:23 PM   #88
Human Ills OP
Useful Idiom

Oddometer: 21,132
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete_Court
I like NASCAR - way more for the team-work in the pits and backwaters than the drivers.
Exactly. Stock car racing is more than competition between drivers. It's competition between pit crews and mechanics and crew chiefs. To me it's all interesting.
Old 07-20-2009, 10:25 PM   #89
Human Ills OP
Useful Idiom

Quote:
Originally Posted by wxwax
I have from time to time. There is some good stuff. Unfortunately, I think Despain is a windbag.
I think it's a good show. Unfortunately I had to scale back on my cable package, so I've been missing out. One good thing about the Chase, the final ten races are on broadcast.
Old 07-20-2009, 10:26 PM   #90
Human Ills OP
Useful Idiom

Quote:
Originally Posted by KTMRyder

That's crazy. That's how the winged cars used to behave 20 years ago when I was going to the fairgrounds every week. Those were good times, and I wasn't even drinking then.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: