Go Back   ADVrider > Fluff > Sports
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-17-2012, 07:10 AM   #1336
Geoff
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 564
I received free tickets to the NASCAR Camping World Truck Series on July 21 in Joliet, IL. I have never attended a NASCAR event. It's my understanding the trucks don't turn right. Will I be bored? Do hot women attend these events, or are they ugly rednecks with big butts? What can I expect.
Old 07-18-2012, 10:17 AM   #1337
Sludge
Waiting for the snow

Oddometer: 231
Go with an open mind, have fun! There is some good people watchin' at all races. Oh and by way cheer for the #2 Truck, my buddy is driving that one.

Sludge

sludge81.smugmug.com

VMRG member :http://vailmountainrescue.org/
Sludge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 04:47 AM   #1338
ScottDill
TANSTAAFL

Oddometer: 3,808
No one's comment on this so I thought I trow it up. Thoughts?

Repercussions or is like NHL, part of the show?

ScottDill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 07:14 AM   #1339
Minnesota
Conform or be cast out

Oddometer: 3,936
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottDill View Post
No one's comment on this so I thought I trow it up. Thoughts?

Repercussions or is like NHL, part of the show?

Thanks for posting that. I heard there were some fisticuffs at the end of the race, but hadn't seen why.

I have been warming to Jeff Gordon the last few years. He has seemed like he is an okay guy, and he has been struggling on the track. Off the track he is doing some good stuff, which I respect.

This, however, is a typical Jeff Gordon move. If someone touches his car he gets all pissed off. He took the retaliation a little too far here, though. To take out a championship contender over something as trivial as what Bowyer did is a chickenshit move; a word that defines Jeff Gordon. Add that to the fact that he was endangering other drivers who had nothing to do with whatever was going on between the two of them and I say he should be sat for at least the last race of the season (next weekend). That should be coupled with a serious fine and a significant loss of points. The suspension should perhaps carry over to next season. Jeff drives for Hendrick, though, so nothing will happen other than a "We strongly condemn this sort of activity" from NASCAR.

Maybe someone from Bowyer's team should put Jimmy Johnson in the wall with less than 5 laps remaining next week at Homestead.

Update: Gordon fined $100,000 and penalized 25 points as well as being placed on probation for the rest of the season (one race).

Quote:
Originally Posted by ESPN
Gordon avoided suspension as Kyle Busch received last year for the Nationwide and Sprint Cup Series races at Texas after intentionally wrecking Ron Hornaday Jr. in the Truck Series under caution.

NASCAR did not specify what the differences were between Gordon's retaliation and Busch's.
Minnesota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 11:22 AM   #1340
shrineclown
(AFKA Prince)

Oddometer: 9,342
If Kyle Busch had done that, he would have gotten an indefinite suspension. It is good to be Jeff Gordon. They will probably fine BK just as much for cussing in the MC.

I like the 48 idea......not that I want anyone to get hurt, but it would be fitting. Even better if they could convince Mark Martin to do it. Fastened or welded, take that NASCAR. Unfortunately, he would never do that.
Old 11-13-2012, 11:30 AM   #1341
Human Ills OP
Useful Idiom

Oddometer: 19,487
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnesota View Post
Thanks for posting that. I heard there were some fisticuffs at the end of the race, but hadn't seen why.

I have been warming to Jeff Gordon the last few years. He has seemed like he is an okay guy, and he has been struggling on the track. Off the track he is doing some good stuff, which I respect.

This, however, is a typical Jeff Gordon move. If someone touches his car he gets all pissed off. He took the retaliation a little too far here, though. To take out a championship contender over something as trivial as what Bowyer did is a chickenshit move; a word that defines Jeff Gordon. Add that to the fact that he was endangering other drivers who had nothing to do with whatever was going on between the two of them and I say he should be sat for at least the last race of the season (next weekend). That should be coupled with a serious fine and a significant loss of points. The suspension should perhaps carry over to next season. Jeff drives for Hendrick, though, so nothing will happen other than a "We strongly condemn this sort of activity" from NASCAR.

Maybe someone from Bowyer's team should put Jimmy Johnson in the wall with less than 5 laps remaining next week at Homestead.

Update: Gordon fined $100,000 and penalized 25 points as well as being placed on probation for the rest of the season (one race).
Explain to me how that was Gordon wrecking Boyers. and under the old rules and systems which most sanctioning bodies implement, neither of them would be contenders.
Human Ills is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 12:07 PM   #1342
Minnesota
Conform or be cast out

Oddometer: 3,936
Quote:
Originally Posted by Human Ills View Post
Explain to me how that was Gordon wrecking Boyers. and under the old rules and systems which most sanctioning bodies implement, neither of them would be contenders.

My understanding is that Bowyer bumped into Gordon, which resulted in Gordon cutting a tire and having to make a green flag pit stop. When Gordon came back out on the track he drove slowly to allow Bowyer to catch up to him. When Bowyer went to pass Gordon on the low side Gordon hooked the right rear of his car and put him into the wall. I think that qualifies as Gordon wrecking Bowyer.
Minnesota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 12:24 PM   #1343
shrineclown
(AFKA Prince)

Oddometer: 9,342
Quote:

My understanding is that Bowyer bumped into Gordon, which resulted in Gordon cutting a tire and having to make a green flag pit stop. When Gordon came back out on the track he drove slowly to allow Bowyer to catch up to him. When Bowyer went to pass Gordon on the low side Gordon hooked the right rear of his car and put him into the wall. I think that qualifies as Gordon wrecking Bowyer.

That is true. Not only that, JG admitted he did it, and did it on purpose. Under the old rules FWIW, they would have had a sit down with Big Bill, in his Daytona office, and that would have been that. That is, if Big Bill had decided enough was enough already. Prairie justice, I rather liked it myself. YMMV.
Old 11-13-2012, 05:12 PM   #1344
ScottDill
TANSTAAFL

Oddometer: 3,808
Seems like a reasonable penalty. I appreciate hard-nosed competitiveness....but damn, that's just too much.

I used to go to the Daytona 500 every year when I live in FL, but have really stopped following NASCAR for quite a while now.
ScottDill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 03:01 PM   #1345
Human Ills OP
Useful Idiom

Oddometer: 19,487
Quote:

I'm seeing a bit of "it's okay for championship contenders to roughen up non-contenders for a pass" mixed with "make way for the contenders and allow the pass"

I remember BK took a lot of heat for not getting out of the way of veterans a couple of years ago.
Human Ills is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: