ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Road warriors
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 07-18-2009, 01:06 AM   #1
Eightbll101 OP
Adventurer
 
Eightbll101's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2009
Location: Central Texas
Oddometer: 34
Goldwing vs Bmw k1200LT.........

I am considering on buying a tour bike for the long haul. I've looked at the Goldwing, and really seems like the "best" long distance moto. I currently own a F800gs and I am impartial to BMW. But....after a 1300 mile roadtrip battling the f800gs and now my wife showing interest in cross country i'm looking for max comfort in two up riding. I like the styling of the BMW K1200LT. Anybody own the beemer? Any long road trips on it? Please share any info.
Eightbll101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2009, 01:14 AM   #2
Cos
Re-Greekified
 
Cos's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2006
Location: Home
Oddometer: 10,423
Here ya go:

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showt...light=goldwing
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by An Appalachian mudsquid
Why do we always hurt the ones we hit?
Cos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2009, 05:46 AM   #3
Bueller
Cashin?
 
Bueller's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2003
Location: Hide Away Hills, Ohio
Oddometer: 17,186
When I posted my reply in that thread I was all about the '05 LT I'd owned a couple of years prior. It was a great bike. I've since owne another LT - an '03, and now own an '08 wing.

The LT certainly brings some things to the table that the wing doesn't, provided you purchase '05 or newer. The gas mileage of the LT blows the wing away. The electric center stand is a nice feature. The brakes are really strong. The telelever suspension is nice.

Beyond that I'd happily take the Gold Wing. It needs a fraction of the service and maintenance the LT does. It runs on 86 octane gas. It has a history of nearly bullet-proof reliability while the LT's continue to eat clutches at $1500 + each and still have at least some instances of BMW's legendary final drive failures. I'm done with that crap. The Gold Wing has more leg room and has much better slow speed handling due to the lower center of gravity. High speed handling, brakes, and suspension are not quite as good as the BMW, but as several from BYOB '09 can attest it can still zing in the twisties. BMW LT resale value falls faster than the bike would of you let go of it at a stand still, while Gold Wing resale value is surprisingly high. As an example, I negotiated a deal to purchase the '03 LT I had - the top of the line Icon model with intercom and GPS that cost $20,000 new - for $8000 with 17,000 miles on it. A similar age and mileage of Gold Wing was bringing $11,000 - $12,000, despite costing about $18,000 new.

I'm glad I've owned a couple of LT's. That's what makes me so sure the wing is going to be a better overall travel and ownership experience.
__________________
"Bueller, you're an island of sense in a sea of bullshit" - swimmer

"bueller, you ARE an island of reason in a sea of bullshit" - quasigentrified
Bueller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2009, 06:13 AM   #4
gec343
Studly Adventurer
 
gec343's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2005
Location: Evart, Michigan
Oddometer: 814
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bueller
When I posted my reply in that thread I was all about the '05 LT I'd owned a couple of years prior. It was a great bike. I've since owne another LT - an '03, and now own an '08 wing.

The LT certainly brings some things to the table that the wing doesn't, provided you purchase '05 or newer. The gas mileage of the LT blows the wing away. The electric center stand is a nice feature. The brakes are really strong. The telelever suspension is nice.

Beyond that I'd happily take the Gold Wing. It needs a fraction of the service and maintenance the LT does. It runs on 86 octane gas. It has a history of nearly bullet-proof reliability while the LT's continue to eat clutches at $1500 + each and still have at least some instances of BMW's legendary final drive failures. I'm done with that crap. The Gold Wing has more leg room and has much better slow speed handling due to the lower center of gravity. High speed handling, brakes, and suspension are not quite as good as the BMW, but as several from BYOB '09 can attest it can still zing in the twisties. BMW LT resale value falls faster than the bike would of you let go of it at a stand still, while Gold Wing resale value is surprisingly high. As an example, I negotiated a deal to purchase the '03 LT I had - the top of the line Icon model with intercom and GPS that cost $20,000 new - for $8000 with 17,000 miles on it. A similar age and mileage of Gold Wing was bringing $11,000 - $12,000, despite costing about $18,000 new.

I'm glad I've owned a couple of LT's. That's what makes me so sure the wing is going to be a better overall travel and ownership experience.
Excellent advice. BMW reliability has suffered during the last few years. Final drive issues, lack of a large dealer network, not to mention the limited mileage warranty.

I've never owned an LT, but my last steed was a 04 R1150RT, which the ABS modulator failed, plus a transmission oil leak. Both covered by the warranty, which was a week from expiration, due to the 36000 mile limit.
__________________
“Until one has loved an animal, a part of one's soul remains unawakened.” -- Anatole France

2010 Gold Wing/ABS
1977 R100/7 (bought new)
gec343 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2009, 06:59 AM   #5
concours
WFO for 41 years
 
concours's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2008
Location: Kensington, NH USA
Oddometer: 5,372
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bueller
When I posted my reply in that thread I was all about the '05 LT I'd owned a couple of years prior. It was a great bike. I've since owne another LT - an '03, and now own an '08 wing.

The LT certainly brings some things to the table that the wing doesn't, provided you purchase '05 or newer. The gas mileage of the LT blows the wing away. The electric center stand is a nice feature. The brakes are really strong. The telelever suspension is nice.

Beyond that I'd happily take the Gold Wing. It needs a fraction of the service and maintenance the LT does. It runs on 86 octane gas. It has a history of nearly bullet-proof reliability while the LT's continue to eat clutches at $1500 + each and still have at least some instances of BMW's legendary final drive failures. I'm done with that crap. The Gold Wing has more leg room and has much better slow speed handling due to the lower center of gravity. High speed handling, brakes, and suspension are not quite as good as the BMW, but as several from BYOB '09 can attest it can still zing in the twisties. BMW LT resale value falls faster than the bike would of you let go of it at a stand still, while Gold Wing resale value is surprisingly high. As an example, I negotiated a deal to purchase the '03 LT I had - the top of the line Icon model with intercom and GPS that cost $20,000 new - for $8000 with 17,000 miles on it. A similar age and mileage of Gold Wing was bringing $11,000 - $12,000, despite costing about $18,000 new.

I'm glad I've owned a couple of LT's. That's what makes me so sure the wing is going to be a better overall travel and ownership experience.

My cousin just dold his LT, getting a Wing. TWO clutch failures due to dry clutch being wetted by brake fluid then gear oil, ABS failure, final drive, etc.
__________________
Too much is just barely enough.....

concours screwed with this post 07-18-2009 at 04:50 PM
concours is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2009, 09:42 AM   #6
Eightbll101 OP
Adventurer
 
Eightbll101's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2009
Location: Central Texas
Oddometer: 34
Thanks for the input, the closest bmw dealer is 120 miles from me. Another issue i should probally take into consideration. Honda just ten miles away.
Eightbll101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2009, 10:15 AM   #7
BCC
I know better
 
BCC's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2004
Location: Southern NJ
Oddometer: 8,074
For a moment in time, we considered a wing when the new one first came out. If you're tall, make sure you take it out for a test ride first. I'm only 6' 3" and I didn't fit.

I love the video of the yellow one dancing in the twisties.
__________________
Living the fullest life means leaving a history of goodness behind you for others to remember.

Cherish the memories------Ken OBSC
BCC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2009, 03:43 PM   #8
hugemoth
Beastly Adventurer
 
hugemoth's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2007
Location: In the TARDIS
Oddometer: 2,760
A couple weeks ago I did a 5000 mile ride around the west. The only broken down bike I came across on the whole trip was a GL1800 on a lonely Wyoming highway. Saw lots of Harleys and they were all moving, but not the Goldwing. Fortunately it was just a flat tire.

My 5000 mile ride was on a 30 year old GL1000. What the old Wing lacks in excitement it more than makes up for in rock solid reliability. Nothing beats a Goldwing for getting you down the road reliably and in comfort, if your legs aren't too long. My seat is raised 3".

Q
hugemoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2009, 05:18 PM   #9
Bob204bc
Adventurer
 
Bob204bc's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2006
Location: On the Beemer
Oddometer: 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by hugemoth
A couple weeks ago I did a 5000 mile ride around the west. The only broken down bike I came across on the whole trip was a GL1800 on a lonely Wyoming highway. Saw lots of Harleys and they were all moving, but not the Goldwing. Fortunately it was just a flat tire.

My 5000 mile ride was on a 30 year old GL1000. What the old Wing lacks in excitement it more than makes up for in rock solid reliability. Nothing beats a Goldwing for getting you down the road reliably and in comfort, if your legs aren't too long. My seat is raised 3".

Q
I get your point about the longevity of the GL1000. I don't get the "breakdown" story. That's a flat tire, easily repaired at the roadside if it's just a normal puncture. No breakdown there.
__________________
".....long separated by cruel fate, the star-crosed lovers raced across the grassy field toward each other like two freight trains, one having left cleveland at 6:36 pm traveling at 55 mph, the other from topeka at 4:19 pm at a speed of 35 mph...."
Bob204bc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2009, 05:45 PM   #10
hugemoth
Beastly Adventurer
 
hugemoth's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2007
Location: In the TARDIS
Oddometer: 2,760
I was just kidding about the flat tire as a "breakdown". It did turn out being a tow job though because the tire was damaged internally. I've heard the new GL1800s have a tire pressure monitoring system so you don't unknowingly damage a tire beyond repair by riding with low air pressure.

If money wasn't a problem, I'd run right down and trade my 30 year old Wing for a new one.

Q
hugemoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2009, 12:09 AM   #11
Desertbilly
Beastly Adventurer
 
Desertbilly's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2003
Location: Scottsdale, Arizona, USA
Oddometer: 1,068
I tested both years ago and got the Wing. Much better ergo's for me; loved that drive train; more dealers; more aftermarket; great luggage and features. The LT's legroom was too tight for me, and the low-speed power was just embarrassing. Ultimately I fell out of love with the Wing's suspension. It started getting loose at 15k, and the hands-off head shake started soon after. At 22k I got the $2,300 Traction Dynamics suspension upgrade -- It was nice on glass-smooth roads, but too harsh on real roads. I sold it at 30k and got a Connie 14.

Mine was an 05, and I think the factory suspension has been upgraded since then. I still like the C14 better, though. It doesn't have the cruise or the stereo (though both can be added). In a weird way, the C14 is much more versatile. It's nearly as good for touring, and so much better for everything else.
Desertbilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2009, 09:57 PM   #12
Eightbll101 OP
Adventurer
 
Eightbll101's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2009
Location: Central Texas
Oddometer: 34
Wow. Good advise. Talked to a "bmw" salesman this week. Of course he was pro "BMW". Said all the final drive problems could be avoided with proper maintenance. Started sounding like alought of money just in upkeep. Dont get me wrong, I believe maintenance is very important. But I want too ride, not having to take every few miles "maintaning" my motto. No offense harley guys. Im so torn, whats a bike nut to do? Luv aspects of both bikes. Planning on a 6000 mile ride in a month. I think maybe I'll just put a seargent seat on my f800gs an roll with it. Kind of hoped to have decided before then. uuuggghhh
Eightbll101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2009, 05:57 AM   #13
Bueller
Cashin?
 
Bueller's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2003
Location: Hide Away Hills, Ohio
Oddometer: 17,186
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eightbll101
Dont get me wrong, I believe maintenance is very important. But I want too ride, not having to take every few miles "maintaning" my motto. No offense harley guys.
Why would a Harley guy be offended by that? Harleys are easier to maintain than any other bike mentioned in this thread, and are among the highest quality in the business.
__________________
"Bueller, you're an island of sense in a sea of bullshit" - swimmer

"bueller, you ARE an island of reason in a sea of bullshit" - quasigentrified
Bueller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2009, 07:01 AM   #14
ACDNate
Studly Adventurer
 
ACDNate's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2008
Location: Ocean Springs, Mississippi
Oddometer: 689
Quote:
Originally Posted by BCC
For a moment in time, we considered a wing when the new one first came out. If you're tall, make sure you take it out for a test ride first. I'm only 6' 3" and I didn't fit.

I love the video of the yellow one dancing in the twisties.
I've been drooling over the 1800's for some time now, haven't gotten a demo yet though. It seems the seat makes the biggest problem for the tall folks like myself @ 6'3" as well.

Any tall GL1800 riders cut down that back rest to add leg room?
__________________
Nate
Ocean Spring, MS
2008 Honda GL1800
2007 Honda CRF150R
2005 Honda CRF100F
ACDNate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2009, 07:09 AM   #15
gec343
Studly Adventurer
 
gec343's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2005
Location: Evart, Michigan
Oddometer: 814
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bueller
Why would a Harley guy be offended by that? Harleys are easier to maintain than any other bike mentioned in this thread, and are among the highest quality in the business.
I would have to agree that Harley's are very low maintnance, plus very easy to maintain. Plus, their quality is greatly improved, but am not sure that they are on the same level of reliability as the Japanese bikes.

My last two new Harley's, a 1990 FLHTC, and a 2000 FLHTCU were major reliability problems, plus, on the 2000 model, the Harley warranty people treated me poorly, to say the least.

After the Harley problems, I went to a new BMW R1150RT, but had ABS failure, transmission oil leak, etc. Plus, the final drive issue and lack of a large dealer network was always on my mind. I sold the RT just prior to the 36000 mile warranty expiration.

In my mind, what little I have left, I feel that Honda reliability cannot be beat, but I could be wrong. I still love Harley's, plus, in my opinion, they are what a motorcycle should look like, but I am still burning over my treatment by those HD warranty people. Just an added note here, in the seven new Harley's I've owned in my 50+ years of riding, I had major problems with every one except the 1972 Sportster, which I traded in on a 1973 Superglide, which dropped the transmission at 3000 mies, while on a long tour.
__________________
“Until one has loved an animal, a part of one's soul remains unawakened.” -- Anatole France

2010 Gold Wing/ABS
1977 R100/7 (bought new)
gec343 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 02:23 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014