Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Battle scooters
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-23-2009, 05:41 AM   #46
milwaukeemadass
Web Geek

Oddometer: 141
As I was leaving work yesterday and just as I rolled my MA outside, a city bus driver yelled out of his window across busy Michigan avenue:

"Hey! That's a nice bike. What is it?"

"Thanks, it's a MadAss!"

"What?"

He still didn't get it and even after he asked me to spell it out. While i can appreciate standing outside of my work yelling "MadAss" across a busy downtown street I was still wishing i had a sign or something i could hold up to let him see the name.

And just after that, an older guy stopped and asked me about the bike. The MA does attract questions, that's for sure.

On my ride home, the bike still felt really good and solid, even over the WWI-era landing strip effect that Howell/Chase has (i need a better route). One thing i did notice was that the stock exhaust under the seat does get a little warm after a while. I'm definitely going to check out what it'll cost to get the off-set after market pipe.

The MadAss Army: www.madassarmy.com
milwaukeemadass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2009, 06:09 AM   #47
Nurburgringer OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 73
Sounds like you're off to a good start. I'm sure you know this, but for the first hundred miles or so I wouldn't run it at redline for too long. Take it a bit easy at first and as the motor breaks-in it will loosen up you'll get more power.

Quote:
Originally Posted by milwaukeemadass
One thing i did notice was that the stock exhaust under the seat does get a little warm after a while. I'm definitely going to check out what it'll cost to get the off-set after market pipe.
Do you mean that the seat itself gets warm? I've ridden for over an hour on hot days and never noticed the seat getting uncomfortably warm.
Of course if you have to pick up the back of the bike to scoot it over and are careless grabbing the seat rail, yeah the muffler can burn you but so far I haven't thought that the exhaust under the seat is any kind of problem.

have fun!
Nurburgringer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2009, 06:25 AM   #48
milwaukeemadass
Web Geek

i know my shifting is a little rusty and not as fluid as it should be but i'm making sure to keep everything on the down-low for the break in.

Yeah, the seat itself was a little warm, not out of control but enough for me to notice. i'm more than willing to admit my OCD for little things like that so i could be in the minority.

Old 07-23-2009, 05:04 PM   #49
tundrawolf
Desert Rat V Star

Oddometer: 313
Anyone have an MPG figure yet?
tundrawolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2009, 01:11 AM   #50
Vertical C
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,867
Quote:
Originally Posted by tundrawolf
Anyone have an MPG figure yet?
I have just picked up a Australian model Madass a few weeks ago. Even with the throttle permanently to the stop it is getting 2.8l/100km or 84mpg. Mine is second hand and had 4400ks though now it is already over 5000ks as I have been riding it instead of the 1000.

It is a really good runaround. I was going to get a sccooter just to run around town on and go to work but I ended up getting one of these. Glad I did. I was worried about the luggage space but I put a cargo net on the back and have carried a couple of bags home from the shops which is enough for me. Ok so it probably is not as handy as a normal scooter but I love its handling compared to a scooter.

Great fun and you don't even have to speed to have a good time.
Vertical C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2009, 07:32 AM   #51
Nurburgringer OP
Adventurer

thanks for the info C.

The only issue that the 125 didn't rectify or improve upon over the 2006 is the fuel situation. You really di have to be aware how much is left and how far away from a fuel station you are.
MMA - once the tank is near empty and the bike starts to starve, remember that leaning left will give you the last bits of gas for some additional distance. The 'reserve' is a joke really, so if you see a MA swerving down the road he's not drunk, he's just trying to make it to the next gas station :)

cheers
Old 07-24-2009, 07:58 AM   #52
milwaukeemadass
Web Geek

Good deal, i'll keep that in mind. Maybe i should keep an old 40oz bottle filled with some petrol in my rucksack just in case

Old 07-24-2009, 09:48 AM   #53
techguy
Scooter Trash

Oddometer: 845
I hope your not talking about taking your "Olde English" glass bottle 40 and adding gas to it? You could have some nasty surprises. The cap would leak and your rucksack could become a malatoff (sp?) cocktail strapped to your back.

I see the ADV guys use MSR and other brands of fuel bottles. Seems to me you could find a place to strap one of these to the bike and have a real fuel reserve to get you to the nearest station.
techguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2009, 09:53 AM   #54
milwaukeemadass
Web Geek

yeah, i was just talking smack.

Having a beer bottle filled with petrol in a ruck would more than likely win someone a Darwin Award sooner or later.

Old 07-24-2009, 09:55 AM   #55
techguy
Scooter Trash

Oddometer: 845
You never know these days, some people will try anything to save a buck.
techguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2009, 05:14 AM   #56
Nurburgringer OP
Adventurer

MMA - did you get over to M-S yesterday for the rally/party? I wasn't able to due to out-of -town guests, but weather was great so should have been a good turn-out.
Old 07-26-2009, 12:40 PM   #57
milwaukeemadass
Web Geek

I had something else going on too but I did have go down there to have them check something out on the bike and leave right away. I was there about 11:30 or so and it seemed like they had a decent turn out from what it looked like.

Old 07-27-2009, 05:38 AM   #58
milwaukeemadass
Web Geek

Eh? Oil Leak? Are you serious?

(Cross-posted from another topic thread)

I'm taking my MA back in today because, as my luck would have it, there's an oil leak most likely due to a crappy seal. I'm fairly annoyed but not quite pissed off because it'll be covered under the warranty. But having to take your new bike in after less than a week - that plain sucks no matter what.

i'll be sure to ask questions and pass along any information i can because i'm wondering if this is just my own karma or if other 125's are seeing the same thing. (i'm pulling for my own karma.)

While my bike is in the shop i'll see about swapping out the stock exhaust for a short Ass Pipe. On top of my own OCD about things, my girlfriend said that when i pulled up the other day she thought i had coasted in from down the street the bike was that quiet. That made up my mind about getting a louder pipe. Not that the stock one is bad - not at all. Just my own preference.

Old 07-27-2009, 03:04 PM   #59
Nurburgringer OP
Adventurer

where exactly is it leaking?
Old 07-28-2009, 03:17 AM   #60
Bugtussle
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 533
My son and I shot this video last Sunday of the MadAss with the 110cc Lifan motor. Its running 17 tooth front and 53 tooth rear sprockets. He hit 54 mph in this speed run. http://www.vimeo.com/5797275

2013 Vespa GTS 300ie Super

Bugtussle screwed with this post 07-31-2009 at 10:24 AM
Bugtussle is offline   Reply With Quote