Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Ride reports
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-06-2009, 04:52 AM   #76
Dessert Storm
Dances With Drunks

Oddometer: 753
Another fantastic Franki RR: a feast for the eyes, and with just the right amount of information in the text.

Franki, do you think China will ever open it's borders and make it easier for foreign motorcyclists to bring their own bikes in? If it does, I can see it quickly becoming one of THE great adventure touring destinations.

(Manti are dumplings not all too different from gyoza or pelmini) - Tourist.
Dessert Storm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2009, 08:32 AM   #77
franki OP
NB Rider

Oddometer: 2,017
Quote:
Originally Posted by beemer boy
Hi Franki !! After seeing the title and the damage to your bike, was thinking it was a good idea for me to not go there. BUT after seeing your amazing pictures, as well as the knee healing rock, I now wish I had gone.......
Hi Rob,

Trust me, I was swearing so much about the rocky road of Dulongjiang and how I wish I had a 250cc enduro bike to do this trip.....you would have fun doing those roads, especially with your ultra long legs My palm was all bruised after riding the Dulongjiang 100km due to the hard hitting landing of the front wheel

Tibet will always be there...

Franki
franki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2009, 08:35 AM   #78
franki OP
NB Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by russjt
Awesome pictures ! looks like a great trip , have fun and stay safe .

What was it like crossing into Tibet from China ?

Thanks russjt.

Hmmm...Tibet is part of China....unless you are Dalai Lama
Crossing a provincial border is easy as a breeze for Chinese
Old 08-06-2009, 08:38 AM   #79
franki OP
NB Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dessert Storm
Another fantastic Franki RR: a feast for the eyes, and with just the right amount of information in the text.

Franki, do you think China will ever open it's borders and make it easier for foreign motorcyclists to bring their own bikes in? If it does, I can see it quickly becoming one of THE great adventure touring destinations.

Welcome DS.
I don't see it in my life time that China will open its border for bikers to come with their own bikes. If you want it bad enough, you can always buy a bike in China and tour around. Its more adventurous than when China fully opens up and everybody can come in
Old 08-06-2009, 09:54 PM   #80
franki OP
NB Rider

I was riding on the outside track and met an on coming small truck in a corner. As we both driving slow, there is time to stop but no room for me to move to the inside track. So I pull over a bit more to the edge of the cliff and it seems there is enough room for the truck to pass. Big mistake on my part, I signaled the truck to drive pass me. The truck driver slowly passing me and then I saw the tail of his truck has an add-on tool box that is one inch wider than the truck, I tried to lean the bike a bit to give it more room to pass but it still graced my right pennier case as the truck slowly passed. My left foot was on loose rocks and the extra force made my footing slip. Down with the bike as I tried very hard to hang on and not fall down the cliff. The truck driver saw this in his back mirror and immediately stopped and jumped out of the truck to come grab me. The bike is now 50% over the cliff and 50% on the road. The lower part being heavier kept the bike from falling down the cliff. I shouted that I need more help. The passengers on the truck came to my rescue and pull me and my bike back on the road again. Now I know what its like to be a cliff hanger

This is the famous Daliusha (the great avalanche). We were told that no one passes when it is raining or the wind is blowing or after 2pm when the rocks are heated up by the sun and started to crack. It is stunningly beautiful as well as deadly. Many people were killed on this spot because they didn't followed the cautions mentioned above.

The closer we get to Cawarong, the more desert like it is because we were further away from the moisture kept out by the narrow gorge in Yunnan.

Hugh cactus reminded me of the desert in California

Cawarong in sight

We rode right pass Cawarong and pushed forward another 15km. BT stopped to inspect the road condition.

I look back at Cawarong direction and not a soul in sight. This road is a dead end for 4 wheeled vehicles since day one.

BT and I sat by the edge of the cliff and through rocks down the Nujiang for half an hour without speaking to each other. As we both know that we shall not make it to Chayu (290km) this time. Finally, I broke silence and said my JH600 is too heavy to make it to Chayu (there are a few snowy mountain passes to cross). Let's head back to Cawarong. I will not let you go on alone, just too dangerous. BT nodded and we headed back to Cawarong for the night.
Old 08-11-2009, 07:07 AM   #81
Gaston Gagne
Past Easy

Oddometer: 1,835
Thanks again Franki.
Old 08-11-2009, 09:23 PM   #82
franki OP
NB Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaston Gagne
Thanks again Franki.
Thank you for coming back
Old 08-11-2009, 09:59 PM   #83
franki OP
NB Rider

Cawarong is like a cowboy town in the old western movie. Very few people on the street and animals like horses, goats and cows freely roam the main stripe. We found one hotel that looks more like a hotel to stay.

Night life is limited to watching TV in our room (only 2 channels via satellite due to bad receiption)

The hotel boss/chef/chamber maid is preparing dinner for us. We are the only guest here and was told the only 2 Han Chinese in town. The village is 100% Tibetan with only one policeman stationed here.

There is a school accross the street and I was told there are 400 student studying and living in there. Government pays for all expenses including full board and school uniform, all the children are from surrounding villages. Both Tibetan langauge and Chinese were taught in the school. All staff in the school are Tibetans. The above info was obtained from the Headmaster who was drink beer in the hotel that night.

There is a gas station under construction and I believe there shall be more traffic once the road to Chayu is officially opened. I met the first driver on a 4x4 who came through the road from Chayu. He left Chayu 7am and arrived Cawarong 9pm to cover 290km

This is the pub I chat with the locals last night

Villagers are hunters and gatherers and they do keep their score

Secure parking at the Cawarong 5 star hotel
Old 08-11-2009, 10:29 PM   #84
franki OP
NB Rider

We were told that the last big landslide block Cawarong with the outside world for 6 months. Villagers have to walk for 4 days to Deqing on the other side of the mountain to go shopping. We were very lucky with the weather and we don't want to push our luck too much, so we decided to head back to Gungshan in the morning.

Signs of new landslides over the night

When passing danger zone, stop, observe, find your route and pass at a steady speed.

I let BT pass first as my exhaust noise is louder than his which may trigger another landslide. He radio me to signal he is clear of the danger zone and I start moving.

We take turns leading and travel about 300m-400m apart so if one gets into trouble, the other will have time to react.

Passing the 'Big Slide' we couldn't help by marveling at nature's touch

I found some ancient rock carving and called BT to come over

No one knows how old they are but is thought to believe it is over 1000 years old.

They are carved on the rock and coloured.

Evidence of rock carvings being destroyed by others from different fractions.

It is a religious experience standing so close to this ancient culture

Though I can't read the transcript, I can feel there are conflicts between different fraction of the same religion against each other.

My mind started to drift watching these beautiful rock carvings
Old 08-12-2009, 11:22 AM   #85
franki OP
NB Rider

Rocks can fall any time

The river bank

Find the orange bike

We found an old mine shaft and tried to explore it but the air inside was too bad so we decided not to risk it.

We found more churches as we passed Binzonglor heading towards Gungshan.

Nu tribe farm house

Roof tiles are made of rock

Bu tribe kid

Steep mountain

White waters

It started to rain after we arrived Gungshan and didn't stop for the whole night. How lucky we were. It would be unthinkable if we have rain coming out of Cawarong.
Old 08-12-2009, 11:50 AM   #86
motorradrudi
tourguide

Oddometer: 350
Hi Franki,

another wonderful view into unknown parts of China!

Love it!!!

Thank you very much!

Best greatings from Germany
Rudi
motorradrudi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2009, 10:01 AM   #87
overlandr
Temporal Shifter

Oddometer: 5,790
Franki, I am enjoying this RR immensely, the fascinating photographs and your interesting commentary! I haven't seen your RRs before but clearly you have made an impression. I wish I could ride a motorcycle in China - is it possible to hire or buy?? Keep up the good work and cheers!
overlandr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2009, 08:20 PM   #88
franki OP
NB Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by motorradrudi
Hi Franki,

another wonderful view into unknown parts of China!

Love it!!!

Thank you very much!

Best greatings from Germany
Rudi

Hi Rudi,

Good to see you again and thank you for keeping up the support.

Ride safe,

Franki
Old 08-13-2009, 08:26 PM   #89
franki OP
NB Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by overlandr
Franki, I am enjoying this RR immensely, the fascinating photographs and your interesting commentary! I haven't seen your RRs before but clearly you have made an impression. I wish I could ride a motorcycle in China - is it possible to hire or buy?? Keep up the good work and cheers!

G'day Overlandr,

Welcome to my thread. If you are interested in touring China, you can search my name in ADV and you will see many of my threads about riding in China.

You can buy a small Chinese bike up to 600cc in China for your touring needs. Imported bikes are very expensive and limited choices. It is not possible or very difficult to bring a bike in from outside. There are also some guided tours operated by Chinese bike touring companies.

Cheers mate,

Franki
Old 08-13-2009, 08:51 PM   #90
SimpleSimon
Aspiring advrider

Oddometer: 3,385
Franki! I always enjoy seeing one of your threads here. Again, if you ever find yourself near Seattle (Lake Stevens, WA), you are welcome to come stay. I can show you some Pacific Northwest hospitality.

If I'm lucky, some day I'll be able to tour China on a small bike. I just have to wait until the kids are a little older.

"Assembled Spectator Scoring With Incriminating Photographic Evidence" or A.S.S.W.I.P.E. - Granparacer
SimpleSimon is offline   Reply With Quote