Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Ride reports
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-13-2009, 09:41 PM   #91
franki OP
NB Rider

Oddometer: 2,017
So far we have done the Nujiang gorge and didn't get through to Chayu and Lhasa, so back to plan A, do the 3 river gorges in one go. These 3 river gorges are only about 15-40km apart running pararell from north to south. They are the famous Nujiang, Jinshajiang & Lanchangjiang (Mekong)

Taking a last look at the mighty Nujiang to pay respect to the people who lived around it.

Crossing a tall mountain, we have come to meet the Jinshajiang for the first time.

Take a closer look at villages by the banks of Jinshajiang

The mountain we passed

People living here understand what mother nature has to offer to support their livelihood.

Heading up north, we have to stay in a small village for the night before we carry on to Deqing following the Jinshajiang. These 3 Lisu tribe ladies took good care of us at the hotel we stay and were very interested in our bikes. Such friendly people.

Farmland whereever possible

Newly built preyer wheels is sign of properity in this area.

My bike ran low on fuel and the only gas station we passed has a black out, so no fuel can be pumped. Not wanting to waste time waiting for the power to come back on as no one knows when it will be back on, we push ahead to Yanmen and got 5 liters of 'gasoilin' from a private seller. What a big mistake on my part. 5km down the road, my bike stalled. I can restart it be it will run for about 50 meters and stalled again. I radioed BT to tell him to get me some fuel from a town 30km ahead so I can drain this bad fuel and replace it with better one. BT came back with 5 liters of fuel in a plastic can and a rubber hose. I syfent the bad fuel out as much as I can and fill up with new fuel. The bike ran ok for 5km and started to stall again. Restart-run-stall-restart...I kept the bike going until the next gas station and fill it up full. The bike seems to run ok for 10km and it started to stall again. I drained the fuel tank with rubber hose 2 more times but never seems to get rid of the bug until I had the fuel tank off the bike and also cleaned out the fuel pump/filters. Note to self, never ever buy fuel for small/private gas stations in China.

Although I was in a bad mood due to the fuel problem, it didn't stop me from admiring the beautiful view of the Jinshajiang gorge.

The road steadily climb and we see Mani pile with snowy mountain at the back.

Mt. Meili

As the Jinshajiang started to disappear underneath us, we know we are closed to Deqing

My bike must have stalled a hundred times for the 100km distance we travelled. BT took a picture of me in bad mood.

We rode pass Deqing and headed for Feilaizi where we stay the night to admire the beautiful Mt. Meili. A rainstrom passes as we arrived.

Mt Meili is the sacred mountain to the Tibetan people and they don't like people trass passing it. Here a hard working craftsman making Mani stones for the people who wants to pay respect to the sacred mountain. Tourist can also buy them to bring it home as it is very nice carving.

BT shares a peaceful moment with Mt. Meili

Late afternoon sun shining on village down below

Tourism is booking and I have to find a shooting angle inside a construction site

Clouds rolling over the snowy mountain
franki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2009, 10:12 PM   #92
franki OP
NB Rider

The old towers has been replaced by new ones. Not sure if this is good or bad.

The tallest peak of Mt. Meili is 6720m and no one has suceeded climbing it.

Standing at 4000m we are only level with the glacier below its peak. What a majestic mountain.

The sun set behind the mountain and the temperature dropped about 10 degrees C. Time for a hot shower and some nice hot Tibetan dinner

13 towers represents the 13 peaks of Mt. Meili

In a sea of prayer flags, we felt we are blessed.

Another angle to admire at Mt. Meili

Met a team of Taiwanese rider touring the Greater Shangri-la loop

Our first glimpse of Lanchangjiang (Mekong)

Local tourist has little idea about bike touring and are always amazed by the way we travelled. Here is a girl so impressed with this "new idea" to her and decided to get some feeling by sitting on my bike.

Closer to Zongdian, now called Shangri-la, the village down below is very beautiful but I am not so sure if these is the Shangri-la we are searching for.

A closer look, still not sure if this is Shangri-la? Well, we all have the Shangri-la in our hearts and only one can know when he has found it or not.
Old 08-14-2009, 10:53 AM   #93
bergermeister
housin'

Oddometer: 1,916
awesome. thanks for sharing your pics. I love these China reports.
bergermeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2009, 11:55 PM   #94
franki OP
NB Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by bergermeister
awesome. thanks for sharing your pics. I love these China reports.
I hope one day China will be a popular destination
Old 08-16-2009, 06:53 AM   #95
franki OP
NB Rider

Zongdian Old Town (Shangri-la)

I have waited 2 hours for the light ro be right to take this photo

Biggest prayer wheel in the world

There are many shops in Zongdian selling local arts & crafts

Interesting pubs

Intracate wood carvings

Tibetan style buildings

Roof garden

Old 08-16-2009, 07:09 AM   #96
franki OP
NB Rider

Wooden roof tiles are common here

Old 08-16-2009, 07:33 AM   #97
franki OP
NB Rider

Apart from walking around the old town, we did some side trip around the area. It is very beautiful here.

Black clay pots are made in this area

We planned to stay 2 days in Zongdian but ended up staying for 4 days. We headed out the thrid day but I dropped mt bike at 70kmh in a turn just 40km outside of town. The front off road tire has worn out to abnormal shape during the Nujiang section and has very poor grip on tarmac. Since I have already broken my right collar bone 15 years ago, so this spell hurt my shoulder more than normal.
I managed to rode back to Zongdian and went to the hospital trying to get an X-ray to see if anything broken. It cost me RMB2.60 for the registration fee at the hospital and the doctor ask me a few questions and made me move my right arm a bit. He sent me home without even gave me a pain killer. I think chances are I have damaged my soft tissues more than the bone. So 2 days of rest will do me good.
2 hours after we have departed from our hotel, we showed up at their courtyard again. The lady host seems to be happy to see us again.

My right arm can't move after the speel off

Trying to check if anything broken

Waiting for the pain to subside

Old 08-16-2009, 07:47 AM   #98
Supersignet
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 241
Wow, Franki. That poor JH600. Looks like it's been through hell and back. Hope you didn't get hurt in the fall.

Nice pics!

Supersignet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2009, 08:27 AM   #99
crashmaster
ow, my balls!

Oddometer: 4,979
Incredible country and fantastic photography!

Its curious how you have not seen any other travelers.

How difficult would it be to get around without being able to speak Mandarin or Cantonese?

Your pictures are simply incredible, thanks for taking us along on this fantastic ride.

crashmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2009, 10:25 AM   #100
franki OP
NB Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Supersignet
Wow, Franki. That poor JH600. Looks like it's been through hell and back. Hope you didn't get hurt in the fall.

Nice pics!

Yes, the JH600 has been through a lot but still running fine. My shoulder still hurts but is getting better
Old 08-16-2009, 12:30 PM   #101
franki OP
NB Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by crashmaster
Incredible country and fantastic photography!

Its curious how you have not seen any other travelers.

How difficult would it be to get around without being able to speak Mandarin or Cantonese?

Your pictures are simply incredible, thanks for taking us along on this fantastic ride.
I am glad that you like this thread, so far.

Travellers? Do you mean bikers? Not many bikers on this route. Only a few have done it.
Old 08-16-2009, 01:31 PM   #102
canuckAME
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 685
Thank You
Thank You very much for sharing
canuckAME is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2009, 08:52 PM   #103
franki OP
NB Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by canuckAME
Thank You
Thank You very much for sharing
Thanks for coming back.
Old 08-16-2009, 09:13 PM   #104
franki OP
NB Rider

Resting in the hotel is boring. After one day of doing nothing, I have decided to do a check out ride to see how my shoulder can hold during riding. Excursion tour is planned and off we went.

We rode around till sunset and my shoulder seems to be holding out well enough to make a full days riding tomorrow.

Heading back to town we found it in twit-light zone
Old 08-16-2009, 09:30 PM   #105
franki OP
NB Rider

We headed out early in the morning to complete the last river gorge of this trip.

We bumped into 2 bikers from Kunming and started the photo taking ritual

The Lanchangjiang gorge

New road under construction

Houses like that, every room has a view

When 2 river meets

Temple's design is more Han than Tibetan as the altitude decline. It gets much warmer too.

The river gorge widen as we move closer to Dali

2 bikes deserved a group photo as they took us around China far and wide.