User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-19-2009, 07:28 PM   #1
kvr929rr OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 179
Heidenau K60 quick review

I just picked up a set of Heidenau K60 tires for my GSA yesterday from Moto-Amore and just wanted to post a quick first impression review of them from the ride back from San Jose BMW where I had them fitted. First of all, they are a sturdy tire, stiffer than the Tourances or Karoos by a good margin even without the wheel in the carcass. On the road they feel pretty stable and the vibration from the more agressive tread blocks was not a problem. Certainly not enough to shake a six-pack enough to pop the tops off. In fact, a hand numbing vibration that I had coming through the right grip was gone. Completely. They do whine a bit but from the cockpit but it seemed to go away above 70 mph. The tires are not really happy on the grooved pavement of CA highways 280 and 101. They like to follow the grooves and if you give the bars a quick shake it takes longer to settle down than the Tourances. But once I got on tarmac they behaved much better. Cornering didn't seem too bad but I didn't push too hard because I was hot (112 outside) and tired (ask your mom, wife and sister) and not on game. Overall, I really liked them so far. I'll have them in the dirt soon and try to rub the nibs off the sides too. Hope this helps.
kvr929rr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2009, 07:48 PM   #2
NBeener
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,521
Quote:
Originally Posted by kvr929rr
I didn't push too hard because I was hot (112 outside)
F'n brutal!

Quote:
and tired (ask your mom, wife and sister)
Ya' know what? You're okay :
NBeener is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2009, 08:05 PM   #3
Bike4Fun
Smooth IS Fast

Oddometer: 1,584
Quote:
Certainly not enough to shake a six-pack enough to pop the tops off.
Classic (yes I know the other thread review)
Bike4Fun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2009, 09:55 PM   #4
mike,p
WELL LIT ADVENTURER

Oddometer: 750
Talking Me TOO

I have a set to put on when I'm through with the Tourances that I have abt a thousand mi left. Please post back after you get them in the dirt, So far from what i've heard the HEIDE'S are the HOT SHIT.
mike,p is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2009, 11:18 PM   #5
longtallsally
Yeah I'm a chick

Oddometer: 4,119
Where did you pick them up and what did they cost? I'm getting really sick and tired of what TKCs cost.
Old 07-20-2009, 06:21 AM   #6
SportFaller
Dirt dont hurt, MUCH

Oddometer: 665
pictures?
SportFaller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2009, 08:12 AM   #7
BiG DoM
African Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,418
The Heidi's settle down after a while and are not as sensitive to road surface. We have been using them here in SA for quite a while and are testing and assisting in the devlopment of the 150/17 and 110/19 for the GS's. I have just put the latest test compound 150/17 on my HP2 and must say after a weekend offroad ride that it is better than the 140 TKC that I was running. i have also tested them on a ADV and they are really the best proper 50/50 tyre available at present IMHO.

Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, thoroughly used, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming... 'Fuck, what a trip!'

People are more violently opposed to fur than leather because it's safer to harass rich women than motorcyclists.
BiG DoM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2009, 09:07 AM   #8
kvr929rr OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 179
Quote:
Originally Posted by longtallsally
Where did you pick them up and what did they cost? I'm getting really sick and tired of what TKCs cost.
I picked them up at Moto-Amore for $323 otd. I had them installed for $123 at San Jose BMW which is about 6 miles from Moto-Amore.

I'm working on pictures but one of my riding buddies think they look perfect on the GSA.
kvr929rr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2009, 04:53 PM   #9
New Adventurer
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 111
When will the 150/17 and 110/19 be coming to US/

Quote:
Originally Posted by BiG DoM
We have been using them here in SA for quite a while and are testing and assisting in the devlopment of the 150/17 and 110/19 for the GS's. .
This looks like it would be a much better 50/50 tire for me than the TKC80s. Questions I have are:

- what are the risks involved with running the non-standard size?

- How long do you think we need to wait for the proper size to be available?
New Adventurer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2009, 05:22 PM   #10
FahrtMeister
Gnarled Adventurer

Oddometer: 540
I have the 150/17 110/19 combo on my 08GS and its the best tyre ive had so far. Better grip than TKC's which only last 4000k on the rear. I think the Heidi's will last longer because of the increased tread depth.
I have ridden them on wet and dry roads, in dirt and on trails and they give incredible grip, if anything too much. I like to slide the tail in the dirt and the Heidi's need a bigger handful of throttle to let go. Less noise than TKCs too and cheaper (about $500 AUD fitted compared to $600 for TKC's)
The look the business as well. Just think Coopers for bikes.
Old 07-20-2009, 05:29 PM   #11
Tuff Tunica
Moto-Skiveez creator

Oddometer: 542
Heidi's on a Deutschland bike

Just got back from a three day trip through Yellowstone. Came across a very well ridden, (from appearance) R1100 GS with plates from Deutschland. Guess what, sure 'nough it was shod with the K60's. I was never able to find the owner. I just though it was somewhat telling that a GS rider from Germany would ship his bike to the states for what I am only assuming is to be a long trip, and tire choice is Heidenau's. I've been researching these for about 6 months now and think they will be my next set. I'm off to Germany and Austria for two weeks next month. I may try to acquire a set or two while there.
Tuff Tunica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2009, 07:11 PM   #12
Helios
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 386
Just got my set on my doorstep today , I will throw them on this weekend... I cant wait!! These tires are flat out mean lookin!
Fact is my TKC80's are not even worn out yet.. but I dont care there goin on!

-H

~ Thomas Jefferson

2010 KTM 990 ADV
2003 YAMAHA WR450F
Helios is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2009, 10:25 PM   #13
dustdonkey
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 193
Quote:
and tired (ask your mom, wife and sister)
I did and they said I am much better than you!

I have a new set of K60's waiting in the garage. Can't wait for the current maxxis' to run down.

'58 R50
'85 R80G/S PD (sold )
dustdonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2009, 12:10 AM   #14
longtallsally
Yeah I'm a chick

Oddometer: 4,119
Quote:
I picked them up at Moto-Amore for $323 otd. I had them installed for $123 at San Jose BMW which is about 6 miles from Moto-Amore.

I'm working on pictures but one of my riding buddies think they look perfect on the GSA.
I mount my own so that is not an issue. Since the site that moto love has kinda blows, I'll drop by there tomorrow to see what's the what since I need to head down to Road Rider to pick up another tire.

However, I'm a bit bummed as these are a full $75 more than a set of TKCs from SWMototires.com. My biggest thing, though, is if they can outlast the TKCs. I've not read anything on their durability yet. Post back up when you get some miles on them (as in a few thousand) to see what the wear characteristics are like...

Thanks for the info either way.
Old 07-21-2009, 05:42 AM   #15
cold_fire
Famous Head Scratcher

Oddometer: 289
Maybe it's because of the "over-the-pond" import, but in my country a set of Heidis cost about 120E, while the TKCs are well over 250E. But, reportedly, they're very good tires and I plan on putting a pair on my bike over the winter, just in time for my Tourances to worn out.

The rumor is that, although Heidenau is a Czech manufacturer, the actual factory is located in Timisoara, Romania. I have no refference on that information though.