User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-16-2014, 01:07 PM   #1
dangrass OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 38
Neutrino introduction

Arboreal Systems, designer and manufacturer of the Dispatch 1 power distribution and control system is pleased to announce our new product, Neutrino.

Neutrino is a next-generation product that can be use either as a stand alone device to distribute 60 amps of power over 6 circuits, or connect to a smart phone to fully control these circuits. We've also included a wealth of electrical and environmental data in the Neutrino app so that your smart phone can really function as one-stop shopping for communication, entertainment, navigation, and now electrical distribution/control.

The product offers a flexible connection architecture that supports either USB or Bluetooth 4 LE connectivity. The Neutrino module is small, waterproof, ruggedized, includes a ground plane, has temperature sensing capabilities, direct battery charging inputs, and has an easy to use circuit connection architecture.

The smart phone software is both powerful and easy to use. Best of all, the system is fully integrated with other smart phone apps and works beautifully in concert with telephony, navigation and entertainment applications. Although not yet announced, pricing will be very competitive.

We expect to start shipping Neutrino in late July. If you would like more information point your browser to www.arborealsystems.com.

thx,

Dan
dangrass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2014, 03:15 PM   #2
dangrass OP
Adventurer

Neutrino is about to ship!

We are pleased to announce that Apple has approved our Bluetooth 4 LE Neutrino controller app and it will be available on the iTunes store tomorrow. With this news we are able to announce pricing and a ship date for this hot new product.

Pricing will be $249 for a USB only system and $289 for a Bluetooth/USB enabled system. Since the first app release is for the Bluetooth app, we will ship BLE/USB systems first, with USB only systems to ship later in the month. Units will start shipping on 8/12.

Please see our website www.arborealsystems.com for more information.
Old 08-01-2014, 03:17 PM   #3
dangrass OP
Adventurer

one more thing

Forgot to mention that the product will initially support iOS 7 only, with the iPhone 4S, 5, 5C, and 5S supported via BLE and only Lightning connector phones supported via USB.

Android support is coming, with expected rollout in the early fall.
Old 08-19-2014, 04:20 PM   #4
dangrass OP
Adventurer

Neutrino is now shipping!

We have begun shipping the Bluetooth 4LE version of the Neutrino power distribution and control system. Supplies are limited, so please get your order in early for this super-cool product. For more information please see our website at www.arborealsystems.com.

thx,

Dan
Old 08-21-2014, 03:34 PM   #5
dangrass OP
Adventurer

Neutrino controller app FREE for one week

Here's your chance to check out the Neutrino controller app for free. Go to the Apple iTunes App Store and download it! This is a limited time offer, so don't wait.

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/neut...898448941?mt=8

Dan
Old 08-25-2014, 05:44 PM   #6
dangrass OP
Adventurer

Operational overview video uploaded

For anyone interested, check out the video @

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8R55dupZKRU
Old 11-06-2014, 11:22 AM   #7
dangrass OP
Adventurer

Neutrino update

For those who have been waiting, the Android app is coming along and is expected to be available by the end of the month. Also, the price for the Neutrino module is now $299, and the app is free. You can find it at:

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/neut...898448941?mt=8
Old 11-26-2014, 08:16 AM   #8
dangrass OP
Adventurer

Web Bike World review is now online

Web Bike World just published a very comprehensive review of Neutrino which you can access at http://www.webbikeworld.com/t2/arbor...utrino-review/

Also, we're pleased to announce that the Android app is currently in Beta and is expected to be released within a couple of weeks.

As always, please feel free to email us with any questions at sales@arborealsystems.com
Old 11-27-2014, 10:48 AM   #9
Global Rider
Alps Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,803
A few questions...

Is the ability to control the unit via a smartphone an "option" or is that part of the base unit?

How do I turn an accessory on and off on the fly without using a smartphone.
The last thing I need while driving is another distraction and having to go through menus.

And where do I find a full spec sheet?
For starters, what power can it handle per circuit and what is the maximum power the unit can handle?

Euro & North American Travel & Technical Stuff for the R1150 GS & Adventure

Euro & Alps Motorcycle Tours - Priced Right, How to go about

Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds.....A. Einstein
Global Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2014, 12:40 PM   #10
dangrass OP
Adventurer

responses to your questions

Quote:
Originally Posted by Global Rider View Post
A few questions...

Is the ability to control the unit via a smartphone an "option" or is that part of the base unit?

>>the ability to control the circuits via a smartphone is part of the base unit. All that's required is to download the free app and you're in business. You can both configure and control the Neutrino module via smartphone.

How do I turn an accessory on and off on the fly without using a smartphone.
The last thing I need while driving is another distraction and having to go through menus.

>>the smartphone becomes the switch or variable controller, so it's intended that it be used to control circuits. Having said that, it is possible to simply use the Neutrino as a power distribution module and still use whatever switches and controllers you would prefer for controlling circuits. Another option is to tie various devices to other switches on your bike using Neutrino as the power source. So, you can pretty much configure your bike any way you like. Finally, you don't actually need to use a smartphone at all if you don't want. The system can be set up to power or not power any combination of circuits you wish while leaving the phone at home. Of course one of the benefits of using the phone is having access to the electrical and environmental information that is provided via the Neutrino Cockpit app, but the choice is yours. We recommend that you download the free app on iTunes and check it out. https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/neut...898448941?mt=8

One more thing. We expect to soon release a smartphone software update that will allow you to configure the system automatically turn circuits on and off depending on ambient temperature. Once voice control becomes something that independent developers are allowed to use, you can bet that we will also be implementing that functionality.

And where do I find a full spec sheet?

>>go to www.arborealsystems.com and navigate to the "Neutrino details" page.
http://www.arborealsystems.com/Arbor...o_details.html

For starters, what power can it handle per circuit and what is the maximum power the unit can handle?
>>total capacity is 60 amps sustained...more than just about any bike can produce. The maximum per circuit is 20 amps on circuit 2, 15 amps on an additional 2 circuits, and 12 amps on the remaining 3. Having said this, we have built in a great deal of flexibility in both the hardware and software to enable the system to handle short term loads of far higher than the sustained maximums per circuit. For example, a pair of HID lights will draw about 29 amps when starting, but will level off at about 8 amps in a couple of seconds. The systems will allow the 29 amp load rather than shutting the circuit down.
Old 11-27-2014, 12:52 PM   #11
Global Rider
Alps Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by dangrass View Post
>>the smartphone becomes the switch or variable controller, so it's intended that it be used to control circuits.
Unfortunately, that would not work with my Samsung ATIV-S and even a reasonably light pair of gloves on (Held Satu). I note that you are bare handed when demonstrating the unit on the video.

So the only way to control anything via a smartphone is by taking your gloves off (while riding?) and going through menus or having electro-mechanical switches on the handlebars or dash, the latter which this device is supposed to do away with.

An elegant device but it has its limitations, too many in my view.

Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds.....A. Einstein
Old 11-27-2014, 01:14 PM   #12
dangrass OP
Adventurer

responses to your questions

Quote:
Unfortunately, that would not work with my Samsung ATIV-S and even a reasonably light pair of gloves on (Held Satu). I note that you are bare handed when demonstrating the unit on the video.

>>the Android app is a couple of weeks out and I can tell you from extensive testing that an iPhone 5 works perfectly with light deerskin gloves with no conductive thread and with heavier gloves with conductive thread. It even works pretty well with heavy elkskin gloves without conductive thread. So, no, you don't need to take your gloves off. In fact there are a number of products currently available that allow for the use of touch screen devices with "normal" gloves. These include a liquid that you apply to the fingers (which works well) and little covers you put over the fingers.

Bottom line is that while greater automation is the best answer (just let the system turn on your heated gear based on ambient temp...and that's coming soon) and voice control is not very far off, right now it actually works quite well.

So the only way to control anything via a smartphone is by taking your gloves off (while riding?) and going through menus or having electro-mechanical switches on the handlebars or dash, the latter which this device is supposed to do away with.

An elegant device but it has its limitations, too many in my view.
>>understand the concerns as we certainly share them. In our opinion the advantages of using a smart phone far outweigh the disadvantages. but we do also offer the Dispatch 1 product that controls 10 circuits and has its own dedicated controller that does not require any touch sensitivity.
Old 11-27-2014, 01:27 PM   #13
Global Rider
Alps Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by dangrass View Post
>>the Android app is a couple of weeks out and I can tell you from extensive testing that an iPhone 5 works perfectly with light deerskin gloves with no conductive thread and with heavier gloves with conductive thread.
I'll have to try it on my neighbor's iPhone later.

Edited to add: I have since tried to operate two other smartphones with gloves on, a Samsung and an iPhone, and I could not activate anything on the screens. So this clearly would not work while riding...at least with gloves on and smart riders would not go without. Obviously a GPS screen operates on a different principle, because mine works with gloves on.

But in any case, I would not go with lighter gloves or any add-ons. Whatever goes on the glove would have to last a few thousand shifts per day, every day, for 6+ weeks.

BTW, you'll also need to put out a WP app.

Global Rider screwed with this post 11-30-2014 at 06:19 PM Reason: Tried an iPhne and Samsung smartphone with gloves on...does not work.
Old 12-02-2014, 10:19 PM   #14
stoke
ocean minded

Oddometer: 803
Quote:
I'll have to try it on my neighbor's iPhone later.

Edited to add: I have since tried to operate two other smartphones with gloves on, a Samsung and an iPhone, and I could not activate anything on the screens. So this clearly would not work while riding...at least with gloves on and smart riders would not go without. Obviously a GPS screen operates on a different principle, because mine works with gloves on.

But in any case, I would not go with lighter gloves or any add-ons. Whatever goes on the glove would have to last a few thousand shifts per day, every day, for 6+ weeks.

BTW, you'll also need to put out a WP app.
I've used my last three smartphones with full gauntlet heavy Held gloves no problem, I just use the pad of my thumb. Conducts right through the leather. Your gloves might be synthetic and non conductive, get online, order conductive thread and throw a few stitches through for your index finger & you're all set. I use my bike for daily work applications, so smartphone usage while riding isn't just a nice option, its mandatory.

I REALLY wish I had known about this unit a few months ago. Just started installing electrical accessories on my bike and ordered a (not cheap) old style fused power panel that's been a bit of a pain to use. Then I had to spend two weeks tracking down what was causing a fuse to keep blowing due to a relay causing the issue.

The neutrino looks like a good value if you actually add up everything it does and then compared that to what you would of paid separately in individual units. Can you control heated gear with this thing as well? No separate controller needed?

Hmmm...I still have a few more electrical accessories to go, maybe I should consider it a bit more.
stoke is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2014, 12:13 AM   #15
Global Rider
Alps Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by stoke View Post
I've used my last three smartphones with full gauntlet heavy Held gloves no problem, I just use the pad of my thumb. Conducts right through the leather. Your gloves might be synthetic...
Nope, not the case. The underside of my Held gloves are leather. I even tried another pair or leather gloves.

I'm not about to mod my nice new Held gloves.

Quote:
I REALLY wish I had known about this unit a few months ago. Just started installing electrical accessories on my bike and ordered a (not cheap) old style fused power panel that's been a bit of a pain to use.
I installed my fuse block some ten years ago using a simple but proven Blue Sea panel. It ran me a whopping $28.

I don't know how a fused power panel can be a "pain to use". You install it and forget it...you never need to look at it again.

Quote:
The neutrino looks like a good value if you actually add up everything it does and then compared that to what you would of paid separately in individual units. Can you control heated gear with this thing as well? No separate controller needed?
Like I said, $28 bucks. As for driving lights, I'd want a switch I can flip on and off instantly without having to look at my phone and the same goes for a heated gear controller...a knob I twist without having to take my eyes off the road.

By the way, my installation looks factory and totally opposite of the jungle of wiring shown on that video. If someone isn't particular when it comes to installations, it won't matter what he installs, it'll be a mess.

I would use the thing as a fuse block only to run my 12V outlet for the GPS and charging the cell phone or for my driving lights and heated gear, but I would have a switch and controller handlebar mounted. In the end, it would be overkill at that price.

Plus, would I want my expensive Smartphone in the elements. How many are IPX7 rated?